Jr. High or Middle School?

dez1978

DIS Veteran
Its been a minute since I was in 6th grade (like 30 years) but when I was in school 6-8th grade was called Jr. High. Now its seems everyone calls it middle school. Is this a regional thing? Or something that happened over the last 30 years for some reason I completely missed? Where I went to school in Illinois we had elementary school, jr. high and high school. My kids school district has EC (K-2), Elementary (3-5), Middle (6-8) and then high school. What is it called where you are?

Its been a minute since I was in 6th grade (like 30 years) but when I was in school 6-8th grade was called Jr. High. Now its seems everyone calls it middle school. Is this a regional thing? Or something that happened over the last 30 years for some reason I completely missed? Where I went to school in Illinois we had elementary school, jr. high and high school. My kids school district has EC (K-2), Elementary (3-5), Middle (6-8) and then high school. What is it called where you are?
When I was in school (80s), Elementary was 1-6, Junior High was 7-8, High School 9-12.

The Junior High was in the same building as the High School. It was "Leo Jr/Sr High School".

My kids had elementary (K-5), Middle School (6-8), and High School (9-12). Three different buildings (now 4 because the "Kindergarten Academy" is it's own building for all K's in the district).

Where I live in Georgia grades 6 through 8 are called middle school. Though when I grew up back in the dark ages we went straight from elementary (7th Grade) to high school 8-12

I started 6th grade in Florida in 1990, in a school that was 6-8 and called middle school. I think that for the area in which I grew up, the nomenclature changed from junior high to middle school when they moved 6th grade out of elementary school into middle school and moved 9th grade to the high schools. That happened I think in the late 70s or early 80s where I'm from. This is also how it is where I live now (also in the south). K-5 = Elementary, 6-8 - Middle, 9-12 = High.

Where I grew up:
K-6 - Elementary School
7-8 - Junior High School
9-12 - High School

Where my wife grew up:
K-5 - Elementary school
6-7 - Middle School
8-12 - High School (Was a really small district and needed the 8th graders to fill out the marching band)

Where my kids grew up:
K-5 - Elementary School
6-8 - Middle School
9-12 - High School

When I went to school 6-8 was Middle School. In the town I live in now, K-2 is Elementary, 3-6 is Intermediate, 7-8 Jr High and 9-12 High School. 🤷‍♀️

For me, "Middle School" was grades 5 to 8 but it was a small, private school that ended at 8th grade. When I moved to a public high school 7 & 8 were also in teh building and were referred to as "Jr. High" but at some point they started consolidating grades 7 & 8 with 5 & 6 in dedicated buildings where it became "Middle School."

Where I grew up in Maryland it was elementary (K-6), middle (7-8), and high school (9-12). Now, for my kids in Georgia, it’s elementary (PK-5), middle (6-8), and high school (9-12).

Last edited:
SC calls it middle school.
But now there is a trend for 6th grade only schools to be named Intermediate school.

Growing up they moved our district from 7-9th grade, which they called Junior High, to 7th & 8th, which they called Middle School. 9th graders got sent to high school. Tough transition for the 9th graders.

I had never gone to the same school building for more than 2 years except for kindergarten included in a Catholic school before we moved the summer between 2nd and 3rd grade.

3rd and 4th was a smaller school, then 3 schools consolidated to one, which was 5th and 6th for anyone who wasn't already in that elementary school building.

Junior High school was 7-8.

We had Intermediate High school which was 9-10, because it was a separate campus than the Senior High school which was 11-12.

Then of course I had 2 years of community college.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter