Jan 2009 Code Watch

I *JUST* booked my room for January 23-27th. All this hoopla about the values getting booked sort of freaked me out, so I got right on the phone.

The the very nice man told me that A LOT of places are getting booked up for January, and that he recommended people book their stays ASAP. In my case, as a FL resident, none of the deals are up right yet. He said that I could go ahead and make my deposit, and then call back when the rates come out to get them adjusted. Same with the AAA rates, which I'm also eligible for. I'll take whichever one is available.

So, I got my preferred room rate ($97/night) and went on my merry way. It came out to only $10 more than I budgeted - total and that includes taxes - but I know it will come down once I get those resident rates.

There were standard and preferred rooms available at the POP - so you've got some wiggle room if you want to wait. Not sure how much, though. He said getting a room for September or October at this point is "impossible."

Anyhow, for what it is worth.

we plan to stay at POP. I'm going away tomorrow til Sunday night, and will book it as soon as I get in! I'm too nervous to wait anymore.

All this talk about totally booked hotels makes me wonder what the crowds will be like!:scared1:

All this talk about totally booked hotels makes me wonder what the crowds will be like!:scared1:

I thought the same.

Keep in mind that this is not a time you will see a lot of locals. Unless you hit some random beautiful, warm, day on the weekend - locals will probably sit tight in their warm houses. Besides, most locals are probably contemplating MLK or President's day weekends as good times to go to Disney. I chose to tale 3 days off of work so I could take my kids at a low-stress time. Most locals wouldn't do that. So, especially during the week, you mainly have tourists to contend with. I think, when crowds get really bad, that's the factor that makes things unreal...KWIM?

Realistically, Disney probably manages to fill their resorts all year round. Be it with specials or the like. In January, you're getting northerners looking for "heat" and people that want to avoid crowds. We're also getting the international travelers. The parks may still be "light" even if every room in the entire place is booked. The guy said you couldn't get a hotel for September or October - and those are slow times of the year too.

There's also the very realistic possibility that Disney is making a deal out of nothing to pull more people in. Just to make sure they have the reservations. When I called, it sounded like POP had rooms left. Standard and preferred. Of course, I'll never know HOW many...KWIM? The guy never offered any of that.

Plus...in times of a bad economy...people are going to go for values. AND...with gas being as it is...who wants to rent a car? The gas issue is probably helping Disney in the sense that fewer people want to stay off site. It's a big deal to my husband that we can park our car and let it sit. Heck, if he could figure out a way to fly a Cessna from work to Orlando Executive, he would.

So, all that in mind...I still think that January will be light. Moreover, it will CERTAINLY be light as compared to other times of year - so you're better off then over any other time :)

I thought the same.

Keep in mind that this is not a time you will see a lot of locals. Unless you hit some random beautiful, warm, day on the weekend - locals will probably sit tight in their warm houses. Besides, most locals are probably contemplating MLK or President's day weekends as good times to go to Disney. I chose to tale 3 days off of work so I could take my kids at a low-stress time. Most locals wouldn't do that. So, especially during the week, you mainly have tourists to contend with. I think, when crowds get really bad, that's the factor that makes things unreal...KWIM?

Realistically, Disney probably manages to fill their resorts all year round. Be it with specials or the like. In January, you're getting northerners looking for "heat" and people that want to avoid crowds. We're also getting the international travelers. The parks may still be "light" even if every room in the entire place is booked. The guy said you couldn't get a hotel for September or October - and those are slow times of the year too.

There's also the very realistic possibility that Disney is making a deal out of nothing to pull more people in. Just to make sure they have the reservations. When I called, it sounded like POP had rooms left. Standard and preferred. Of course, I'll never know HOW many...KWIM? The guy never offered any of that.

Plus...in times of a bad economy...people are going to go for values. AND...with gas being as it is...who wants to rent a car? The gas issue is probably helping Disney in the sense that fewer people want to stay off site. It's a big deal to my husband that we can park our car and let it sit. Heck, if he could figure out a way to fly a Cessna from work to Orlando Executive, he would.

So, all that in mind...I still think that January will be light. Moreover, it will CERTAINLY be light as compared to other times of year - so you're better off then over any other time :)

Thanks for your post! Set my mind right at ease!

this is so random, but how is payment made-do I have to charge it at time of reservation or can I mail in a check?

Subscribing! We wanted to go from January 14th through the 17th. Doing MK on either Thursday the 15th or Friday the 16th (to hopefully ease some of the MLK crowds). I was suprised to see the resorts are already booking up. We were going in January because we thought the crowds would be low :confused3

We were told it's because of the long weekend...that weekend isn't considered "Value" season.

I booked last night and was told there's only a 7-day holding period now, and my room-only ressies have to be paid off 45 days prior! A bit surprised, but still super excited to go. Besides, I think paying it off 45 days before instead of when we get there is better, with the holidays and such, therefore we won't accidentally spend it. I'm going to call back Friday with my friends' monies in my check account and do it over the phone, as my cc has some clothes charged to it ;) and can't carry the full $400 deposit.

Ours too-one night deposit and balance due on check in.

Packages are $200 deposit balance due 45 days prior I believe.

I think he must have been new or something. Hey congrats on trip # 10 !!!

I called back today. Here, they booked me for a basic package instead of the room only like I requested. It went down $100 a room from $806 to $706. Also now we have the option to pay the rest at checkin, but were going to have it all paid off by November at the latest.

Can one apply multiple discount codes to a reservation? I'm just curious since I've already done AAA and in case anymore come out...

Can one apply multiple discount codes to a reservation? I'm just curious since I've already done AAA and in case anymore come out...

I was told by a CM yesterday that "No, unfortunately it's one or the other." She went on to say that most people stick to the one that gives them the better deal (AAA vs. Code).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter