• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jamaica state of emergency

As has been mentioned, gotta always keep an "eye" on the current conditions no matter where you go. Having said that, we also prefer to stay on the boat, especially if we've previously visited the port of call. Can't imagine going to Jamaica; had a friend that was born and raised there and he would always tell me that Jamaica was no place to be lolly-gagging around. He remembers locals stealing another local's suit right off him in broad daylight. Basically just walked up to him and demanded it while waiving a machete. That was like over 20 years ago. Not trying to scare anyone, but that story always stuck in my mind. As a tourist, I'd feel a little more concerned venturing into any other place other than a well guarded area.

I read A LOT of stories from tourists involving machetes in Jamaica. That's sad because it is a beautiful place. DH and I has a stop in Ocho Rios during our last cruise. We stayed in the port area to have a drink at Margaritaville (it was crazy enough just walking between the pier and the Island Village)... I was sad we did not do an excursion because the area looks amazing but maybe it's a good thing after all.

US State Department Urging Travelers to Exercise Increase Caution in Jamaica

Posted: 23 Jan 2018 10:33 AM PST

The Disney Cruise Line Blog

The US Department of State recently issued a travel advisory (pdf) for Jamaica urging travelers to exercise increased caution following a declaration from the Jamaican government of a State of Emergency for St. James Parish, Jamaica to counter criminal activity.

According to the US Embassy in Kingston, the State of Emergency, declared under the 1966 Emergency Powers Act, allows Jamaican security forces within the borders of St. James Parish to arbitrarily detain and deport suspicious persons, enter premises, and seize property without warrant. Expect to encounter increased police and military presence, checkpoints, and searches of persons and vehicles within the borders of St. James Parish.

Officials from the State Department and US Embassy in Kingston suggest visitors take the following actions while in Jamaica:

• Monitor local media for updates.
  • Be aware of your surroundings.
  • Avoid public buses.
  • Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
  • Cooperate with any police or military personnel you may encounter.
  • Do not resist a police or military inspection of your vehicle and personal belongings.
  • Allow additional time for transit on the roads in St. James Parish.
The security alert includes the city of Montego Bay where there is a cruise port, but it is important to understand this is NOT Falmouth, where Disney Cruise Line visits. Falmouth is in the neighboring parish of Trelawny. Regardless of which cruise port is being visited, it is important information to consider as some port adventures could potentially travel to some of these areas.

If you are not planning to spend the day onboard the ship, it may be a good idea to stick with Disney Cruise Line’s vetted Port Adventures in Falmouth versus exploring on your own or with third party tour operators.

We have not heard of any extra warnings or precautions being shared with passengers aboard the Disney Fantasy which is scheduled to visit Falmouth tomorrow, but we will update this post if we learn hear anything.

Except for the flower sellers that seem to wander into restaurants. I've always hated that. If I don't buy an overpriced flower for my wife but everybody else buys one for their date then I look like the jerk. I don't need any help in looking like a jerk.
Just going to say... you need to get your wife on board. I never let my DH buy me a flower from someone trolling the restaurant. I speak up and say no thank you, which takes the pressure off him. If they don't go away, she can say she's allergic. Then, buy your wife flowers from someplace reputable then next day. :)

I just asked John Heald about this...

That being said there has been advisories regarding Nassau for years and all the cruise lines still go there.
The Jamaican government has issued the state of emergency. They were advising tourists not to leave the resorts. It may be a short term advisory while the military attempts to get things under control. It does sound like they have some kind of operation going on. I wouldn't visit any city even one in the US that was under a state of emergency due to violence, riots etc.

The Jamaican government has issued the state of emergency. They were advising tourists not to leave the resorts. It may be a short term advisory while the military attempts to get things under control. It does sound like they have some kind of operation going on. I wouldn't visit any city even one in the US that was under a state of emergency due to violence, riots etc.

I'm not very brave. I personally wouldn't get out of the secured area.

Just going to say... you need to get your wife on board. I never let my DH buy me a flower from someone trolling the restaurant. I speak up and say no thank you, which takes the pressure off him. If they don't go away, she can say she's allergic. Then, buy your wife flowers from someplace reputable then next day. :)

Oh, she couldn't care less. She's not a girlie girl, though she can be a lady when need be. She loves receiving flowers, but prefers when I do it spontaneously. It just makes me look like a jerk to everybody else in the restaurant. ;)

Oh, she couldn't care less. She's not a girlie girl, though she can be a lady when need be. She loves receiving flowers, but prefers when I do it spontaneously. It just makes me look like a jerk to everybody else in the restaurant. ;)
See, that's why she has to be the one to speak up and say she doesn't want one. Anyway, who cares what the rest of the restaurant thinks. :)

When we went to Nassau last year we had the same warnings. DO a DCL excursion... we got off the ship and were put on a bus that was hired by Disney and taken to our destination and then taken back to the ship very easily. We always felt completely safe. I for sure wasn't wandering the island alone but doing a Dcl organized excursion is pretty safe.

C'mon folks. The cruise stop is during daylight hours only. I'm sure most of the issues are at night. And keep in mind, the second most dangerous place on earth other than Allepo, Syria is Chicago, Ill. I'm sure you feel safe in Chi.

Jamaica's economy is dependent on tourism, their Government will squash any issues immediately and flood the area with security. Jamaica survival depends on tourism.

This. You’re never 100 percent safe anywhere. Orlando had the second largest mass shooting in recent history less than 2 years ago, but I think most people would still travel here. Be wary of your surroundings, enjoy your trip, and hope for the best.[/QUOTE]

Can someone with a better knowledge of Jamaican geography help me understand the travel warning. From what I read, the US warning covers Montego Bay and Kingston. On that basis, it seems like it would be prudent to book an activity that takes us in the opposite direction. Instead of booking a resort day pass in Montego Bay, I was thinking of doing Runaway Bay -- which seems to be an hour east of Montego Bay. Does that put me outside the warning area? Does anyone have experience doing Runaway Bay through Resort for a Day and did you feel safe doing it? It looks like we can save $150 off the cost of the DCL excursion by booking resort for a day, but I don't want to save money at the expense of safety.

I did this exact thing. My western cruise is in March. I had my entire party of 8 (4 adults, 2 teen boys and 2 preteen girls) booked through resortforaday at the Hyatt Ziva, which is just east of Montego Bay and within St James parish (one of the parishes this state of emergency is in effect for). What greatly concerned me was the comment about sexual assaults occurring at all inclusive resorts. So I canceled the reservation and booked a new one at Jewel runaway bay - which is the opposite direction from Falmouth, towards st Ann’s parish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter