J + J Home away from Home Part 2

jjcollins

DIS Veteran
We thought we'd try out Jiko at Animal Kingdom Lodge after a number of people had recommended it. Wow! What a culinary experience! The restaurant itself is very nice and not too many seats close together - although the restaurant does seat a lot of people. Our table was right beside the clay ovens and it gave us a great view of the chefs preparing the different breads. We started off by sharing a flatbread which was covered with little pieces of lamb, a nuttty-flavoured cheese and herbs. What an explosion of tastes! Our server had brought us some wines to taste and we decided on a very nice Shiraz (it ought to have been at $60 a bottle). The wine list was extensive and pricey.

The starters we chose were soup with lobster dumplings and DW had Cucumber, Red Onion, and Tomato Salad - marinated in vanilla and served with Cottage-Watermelon Dressing. For our main course we chose Mahi Mahi with biryani rice and DW had Oak-Grilled Beef Tenderloin on macaroni and cheese with Indaba red wine sauce. Dessert was pistachio creme brulee (which neither of us liked) and DW had a kind of chocolate dessert which we did like. All in all the food was outstanding. It really made a change to have something a little bit different and with the combination of flavours in all of our courses, the meal was a little bit different and utterly scrumptious.

The next few days prior to driving to Hilton Head, we simply lazed around and did a little bit of shopping. We did pop into the ESPN bar and ordered a pitcher of beer between us. As we became peckish we ordered the overtime fries. I couldn't quite believe what appeared on the table. It was enough to last us all day. Fries topped with minced beef, tomatoes and melted cheese. It was like chilli without the kidney beans. Fantastic! When the server asked if we'd like another pitcher of beer we said no. Unfortunately she made a mistake and brought us another one. Oh well - what can you do? We had to drink it of course. That was a nice afternoon - chillin' having a bud or six!!

The next day we headed off to the Premium Outlets at Lake Little Bryan (just past the Crossroads). We bought cream off one of the little stalls there which was great for our sunburn - Corium 21. Would definitely recommend it - contains mainly aloe vera. We got great bargains in the sports stores. We also went down to the Tommy Hilfiger store at the Belz Outlets and got a few bargains on shirts and t-shirts.

One of the evenings we went to Olivias for dinner. We were terribly thirsty and decided to have some of their excellent pink lemonade - great for quenching your thirst. Before the food arrived we'd already drunk a jug of lemonade between us. By the end of the meal we'd drunk 3 jugs of lemonade! Our dessert was truly to die for - apple pie with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. Our server recommended it and as I'm not a big fan of cinnamon and nutmeg(normally found in apple pie in the states) I asked if it contained these spices. He said he didn't think so (or certainly couldn't taste it) and that he'd bring us the dessert and if I didn't like it he'd take it back and not charge us. Can't say fairer than that can you? So we tried it and loved it. Hope it's still on the menu next time we go back.

At the end of the week, what with such lovely weather, we were a little sad to be leaving - even though we were going up to Hilton Head. We started off at around 8am and were making good time until we reached a severe traffic jam 10 miles out of Savannah. It turned out that a car had gone down into the central reservation and had completely crumpled at the front. The two people in the car had died and it was very unsettling driving past this and seeing all their belongings strewn across the ground. We eventually arrived at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort at about 2:30.

Part 3 to follow ...........

jj.............:cool:

Thanks JJ - your reports are a bit different! (Did you do any parks except AK then?)

Nice one, JJ.

I'd have to chill after payin $60 for a bottle of wine.

Jikos sounds fantastic and in a way I wish that I had gone there instead of Bomas which was nice but very crowded, although the $60 for a bottle of wine would set my pulse racing a bit!!!!! Carolyn

Great report JJ - the restaurant sounds wonderful - hope I get the chance to try it in May :)

Looking forward to reading the next instalment :)

How much for a bottle of wine!!!

Mind you, a really nice bottle of wine does set a meal off!!

JJ,

That meal at Jiko's,mmhh my mouth is watering,fantastic:)

I like the sound of Olivio's where is that?

Hi Kazzie glad too see that your still speaking to me.......LOL

Olivias is in Disney's old key resort one of the Disney vacation club resorts.

jj.........;)

nice report JJ, I like the sound of Jiko, although I'm not sure I'll get past the buffet at Boma's for a couple of visits LOL. IMHO wine is expensive in the US, It seems even plonk starts at $25 a bottle at most restaurants :( , I find it hard to believe when you can buy reasonable Californian wine over here from £15 that the same wine costs $30+ in the US !!!!

I might even give Olivia's another try, after giving them 4 years to buck up after a couple of dodgy (expensive and not really that good as opposed to causing any problems) meals it does seem the reports are getting better again.

Looking forward to hearing what you made of HH

Jiko's sounds wondeful, we nearly went there but decided the buffet had Boma's had more choice for Gary and Julie. We enjoyed Boma's so much we went twice.

Don't think Dave would have let me have a $60 bottle of wine, I was lucky to get a Lapu Lapu for $9 at O'Hana's

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter