I've Been Vaccinated (No Politics Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am over 50 and living in a hotspot. I called today to book an appointment and got one for May 1. I am not sure what I will be getting. It should be Pfizer or Moderna, but anything can change from now to May 1. My second appointment is August 21. I have WDW tickets expiring on Sept. 26, 2021. It’s tempting to take a trip before school starts!

My elderly mom took Pfizer a while ago. She felt ok with no significant side effects. Hope it’s not much difference for the second shot.

My friend called tonight. Her parents (both 80 and vaccinated with both doses a few weeks ago) have Covid. Her Mom has a cough and the sniffles. Her Dad has a bad chest cough and fever. The rest of the family is being tested.

Please get vaccinated. Continue to wear a mask and social distance. They thought they were fully protected and didn’t realize you can still get it and spread it once vaccinated.

My friend called tonight. Her parents (both 80 and vaccinated with both doses a few weeks ago) have Covid. Her Mom has a cough and the sniffles. Her Dad has a bad chest cough and fever. The rest of the family is being tested.

Please get vaccinated. Continue to wear a mask and social distance. They thought they were fully protected and didn’t realize you can still get it and spread it once vaccinated.

This is so sad to hear and somewhat concerning. Do you know how many weeks ago were they fully vaccinated? If it is more than 3 weeks and both still got infected... the odd of 95% efficacy (or 5% non-efficacy) implies 5% x 5% = 0.25% chance of seeing both infected at the same time? Is my math wrong? If my probability math is right, then it would be extremely rare (ie, 0.25%) to see two fully vaccinated individual getting infected based on statistics. I wonder if this is due to variants as the vaccines may not work very well for certain variants.

This is so sad to hear and somewhat concerning. Do you know how many weeks ago were they fully vaccinated? If it is more than 3 weeks and both still got infected... the odd of 95% efficacy (or 5% non-efficacy) implies 5% x 5% = 0.25% chance of seeing both infected at the same time? Is my math wrong? If my probability math is right, then it would be extremely rare (ie, 0.25%) to see two fully vaccinated individual getting infected based on statistics. I wonder if this is due to variants as the vaccines may not work very well for certain variants.

I actually just asked her. They both had their second dose two weeks ago. I’m not sure about the variants. At any rate, they are both at home and don’t seem to be getting worse which is a blessing.

It sure made me think about how this will end. Will we just not get really sick and it will be just bad colds as they did?

This is why I'm so uncertain about what will happen even with a large population being vaccinated. A family friends Mother is currently in ICU and has been told she likely won't make it. She's had the vaccine. If people are still dying WITH the vaccine, how are things going to change? Hard to feel hopeful :(

This is why I'm so uncertain about what will happen even with a large population being vaccinated. A family friends Mother is currently in ICU and has been told she likely won't make it. She's had the vaccine. If people are still dying WITH the vaccine, how are things going to change? Hard to feel hopeful :(
Very concerning indeed.

I got my first shot of the AstraZeneca.

Sure, would have loved to get one of the other ones, but am not in a hot spot so my simple math tells me 2.5 million people just moved ahead of me in the priority line.

Made me Sad when the pharmacist told me they have lots of empty appointments.

If you look at the very high number of cases right now, you would expect the number of cases to be very high in long term care. They aren't, they are very low. That is showing that although some people are going to still get it, the vaccine is doing its job.

You also have to look at when your friend's mother got the vaccine and when she possibly got covid. There could have been a small time frame between the two.

Last edited:
But everyone is saying that the vaccines are 100% effective at eliminating the serious consequences of Covid. That sounds like it may not be true. :(

But everyone is saying that the vaccines are 100% effective at eliminating the serious consequences of Covid. That sounds like it may not be true. :(
From what I saw on the news, it does not prevent you from getting the vaccine or giving it to others but does prevent against serious illness. I imagine that varies with age and underlying health conditions. Only time will really tell.

But as others have mentioned there are a few things to look at before worrying too much (trust me I get so bad that I will worry about the fact that I'm worrying about something i shouldn't be worrying about so i get it!)

How long since the person was vaccinated? It takes at least 2 weeks after the first to develop any antibodies and only fully vaccinated 2 - 3 weeks after the 2nd shot.

How closely did the person follow public health guidelines both before and after receiving the jab? We had to shake our heads over the comment from our neighbour that they were heading to dinner with his elderly parents and were so happy they could hug since they'd had their shots the day before 🤦‍♀️

Did the person have COVID-19 before the shot? You could be positive but not showing symptoms and I don't know if there are any reports of how those people react? Does the vaccine reduce symptoms if you're already infected??

So far I've only heard this one anectodical report. I am NOT saying I don't believe it BTW, just commenting that I'm fairly sure the media would be all over this if it was wide spread.

If she didn't have full immunity yet, the vaccine is not going to be totally effective. Did she have two shots?

There could also have been some underlying condition that made her reaction to covid much worse that she did not know about.

I don't believe complete prevention of death has ever been the claim; significant, majorly significant, reduction yes, but complete 100% prevention - no. No vaccine claims 100% efficacy that I'm aware of. This EU publication was gaging the odds on the Pfizer vaccine realistically back in February:
https://www.openaccessgovernment.org/covid-hospitalisation-and-death/104427/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter