It's Showtime! September 2023 Exercise Challenge

Frozen is another Disney musical that enjoyed its pre-Broadway tryout period in Denver, CO. This time the theatre was the Buell Theatre, and Frozen opened there in August of 2017. Did you see this one, too, @sophy1996? I'm definitely believing you live in one of the best cities for theatre!

Following its Denver run, Frozen opened on Broadway at the St. James Theatre in March of 2018. Unfortunately the pandemic cut its run short, forcing a close on March 11, 2020. Disney opted to focus on the touring and international productions rather than return the show to Broadway once theatres reopened. The Broadway run consisted of 26 previews and 825 regular performances, and the tour, which began in November of 2019 and was suspended from March 2020 through September 2021 due to the pandemic, is currently ongoing. A West End production also opened in September 2021 and recently extended into 2024. There have also been runs in Australia, Singapore, Japan, and Germany, and Frozen will open in the Netherlands next year.

Caissie Levy (Elphaba - Wicked, Fantine - Les Miserables) originated Elsa on Broadway and was later replaced with Ciara Renee (Esmeralda - Hunchback, Jenna - Waitress). Caroline Bowman (Elphaba - Wicked, Evita - Evita) originated Elsa on the tour and still loves playing her. We had the pleasure of seeing Caroline as Elsa and Lauren Nicole Chapman as Anna when Frozen came to our area this past July. They, and the rest of the cast, were incredible, and the show was phenomenal I would see this musical again in a heartbeat if I had the chance.

The musical adaptation of Frozen includes several new songs, and I'm especially partial to I Can't Lose You. This song was not original to the musical and is not in the movie. It was added after the tour opened, replacing For the First Time in Forever Reprise, and then they added I Can't Lose You to the Broadway production when the cast change happened. You can take your pic of two videos of this song and choose which one you like best - if you can (I don't think I can choose)! : )

Here are Caroline Bowman and Caroline Innerbichler (tour's original Anna) in the song's official music video:
They recorded the music video and the only studio recording that exists of the song because they were the first to perform this new song. You will not find this song on the Original Broadway Cast recording.

Next up is Ciara Renee (replacement Elsa - Broadway) and McKenzie Kurtz (replacement Anna - Broadway):

Last edited:
I feel the need to add on to my dear mother’s post with my personal favourite song, and another musical exclusive, “Dangerous to Dream.” This “Shakespearean Aside“ style song captures Elsa’s thoughts and feelings before, during, and directly after her coronation adds additional depth to her character. It is the only song to be professionally recorded three times, once by the Original Broadway cast, again by the West End cast, and once more by the German cast. I greatly prefer the register of the song compared to the more “power ballad“ type songs usually given to Elsa. It has a similar feeling to the beginning of “Show yourself” or the slower songs from “Olaf’s Frozen adventure,” which are some of my favorite Frozen songs. I hope to someday work on this song with my music teacher.

Original Broadway Cast:
West End:

German Cast:

Additional, non-professional versions:
https://youtu.be/sYWmy_uAPjQ?si=kZGic1ZSL69hdGKc
https://youtu.be/1W9siRd2Kvg?si=MyqV2C6sVk7lePmN
https://youtu.be/c4i0cp6abUE?si=EuSYCfILyOWupxCY

+40

1430/1500

No, we did not see Frozen when it opened here. I agree that we live in one of the best cities for theater, though! The DCPA really strives to get the best shows. And I imagine the companies enjoy being here; every show we’ve ever been to, the audience rises for a standing ovation. At this point, I’d probably drop over in shock if they didn’t.

Welcome to Frozen tech day! Let's take a look behind the scenes and see how various aspects of Frozen come together for one magical show.

The role of Sven is incredibly exhausting and is shared by more than one person. This video offers a brief, but interesting look at how Sven comes to life on stage:

Every performance day, the wardrobe crew arrives at the theatre 4 hours before the show, so they can take care of the hundreds of costumes that are in Frozen. You can see some of those costumes here:

The costumes in this show are all incredible and beautifully crafted, but Elsa's ice dress is particularly special. The only video I can find of the making of it is on Instagram. It's a fascinating process, so I hope everyone will have access to this video. If not, I apologize.

Here are a couple of behind the scenes looks of the UK production. The second video might make you dizzy!

And, finally, a behind the scenes look at the US touring show which goes into a little detail about what it takes to load the show in and out in each city:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6q5xAsXkwg

Thanks for coming along on my Frozen tech tour!

No color changes today, but some of you are so very close to the next level!!!

Here's a fun clip of highlights from the US touring production of Frozen. The Hans (Austin Colby) near the beginning of this video is married to the Elsa in the touring production (Caroline Bowman) in real life. Funny story - they kissed on stage during curtain call at his last performance, and I can't help but wonder how very confused and disturbed the littlest fans must have been to see Elsa and Hans kissing! Lol!

Yikes. I keep forgetting to ask if anyone is willing to host next month? I can't believe September is almost gone! Really hope I get a lot of time at the barn tomorrow to help get me to goal. I do have a 10.5 mile run planned on Saturday, so that should help a lot, but I definitely also need to spend a few hours with the horses tomorrow.

But back to October. Anyone up for hosting?!

1695957467990.png

Here's a rehearsal pic of some of the puppets used in the Frozen stage show aboard the Wonder. I'm not really a Frozen person (altho I saw the Frozen sing-along at DHS four times while I was there, so maybe I am?), but I loved this production:

1696000570060.png

Woop woop... +60 minutes for steps and arms

1355/1350... 100%

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter