It's really cheaper to book through Disney travel agency?

Dukland

A.K.A Mrs. Incredible
I have been looking at getting Park tickets and hotel stay online. Last year, our families first trip to DLR, I just went with a travel agent locally. This year, I thought I'd do it online. We are also driving this year, rather than flying. I've checked hotel prices at Expedia, Travelocity, and the Disneyland website, and for the same hotel (Tropicana) for the same nights, it's actually $46 cheaper to book through the Disneyland website. Is that normal?

I wanted to pay for 1 or 2 Character meals now, rather than waiting to get there and then trying to book them. I can do that on the Disneyland website as well. That seems to be the only way to pay ahead of time.

They offer cancellation insurance. I know through our travel agency last year, it was $40. I went ahead and got it, as it wasn't very much, and we had airline tickets, etc. to coniser. This year, we are just doing the hotel and Park tickets. I know the tickets will be good through the end of the year (or 13 days past the first day of use, anyway). But the cancellation insurance is $100 through Disneyland website. Dh and I are thinking we will not get it. Dh says if something comes up that is so important that we need to alter our Disney plans, that we are not going to be worried about our Disney plans (as in, something coming up would be really, really major)

Sorry for all the rambling here. I want to book our trip so I can get it all paid for, and just want to be sure I am not doing something stupid by booking directly from Disneyland site, you know?

I used AAA which bookks through Disney travel and the discount is far more then the $40.00 you pay to join! We booked our hotel , parkhoppers, and caracter meals and it was about $200.00 less then direct with Disney. Plus you get the road service and other discounts. Also I almost forgot one of the best..........free parking at Disneyland , at $10.00 a day that really helps!

Oh and about the travel insurance we declined , but a year ago we booked through expedia and my dad fell ill , we called to see if we could change our parkhopper vouchers , even offering a death certificate as proof and they refused to change the dates......we did not want a refund! I was told if it had been booked through Disney or AAA it would have been no problem at all to change them! Needless to say I will never use expedia again !

jemilah said:
I used AAA which bookks through Disney travel and the discount is far more then the $40.00 you pay to join! We booked our hotel , parkhoppers, and caracter meals and it was about $200.00 less then direct with Disney. Plus you get the road service and other discounts. Also I almost forgot one of the best..........free parking at Disneyland , at $10.00 a day that really helps!

Oh, thanks!!
My mom was telling me that it's not very much to join AAA (when I locked her, me, and my 2 kids out of my car while shopping when mom visited recently :blush: ) .
I will definitely look into that then! I don't have to get the very best deal out there, but I certainly don't want to just take the first thing I see and pay a bunch extra, you know?
Thanks so much!

jemilah said:
Oh and about the travel insurance we declined , but a year ago we booked through expedia and my dad fell ill , we called to see if we could change our parkhopper vouchers , even offering a death certificate as proof and they refused to change the dates......we did not want a refund! I was told if it had been booked through Disney or AAA it would have been no problem at all to change them! Needless to say I will never use expedia again !
That's terrible! I will definitely remember that, too!

It can all be done on -line too even the membership and you can use the # immediatly! Anyother questions let me know!

Thanks again for the advice!
I did join AAA last night, and was able to book the same exact trip I was looking at through the Disney site, for $68 less! (Of course, I added a character meal then, but I think I still came out ahead)

I think having AAA will be an added bonus, since my crazy insane dh insists that this year, we will be driving down!

I am so glad I was able to actually give some useful advice! You will find that AAA has alot of other great discounts, and wait till you get your stuff in the mail! It comes in a pretty Disney folder with lots of coupons and luggage tags. My 6 year old still plays with what is left over from ours from our last trip. You also can get a pin at the AAA little kiosk on Main street! have a great trip! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter