Island Tower at Polynesian Villas & Bungalows

Anybody can like or hate whatever they want, but Tom hates pretty much everything they ever do
There are a few "shows" out there that that is their focus, & i guess technically it keeps Disney in check, but they never really get my support or attention.

There are a few "shows" out there that that is their focus, & i guess technically it keeps Disney in check, but they never really get my support or attention.
Oh there's a whole cottage insustry of basically anti-Disney channels. Whatever floats your boat I guess, but when the content is basically 100% negativity it just seems disingenuous to me, hard to take it seriously.

Tom's defense is always "we can criticize something we love". Sure but it's so unbalanced toward the negative it comes off as schtick.

Oh there's a whole cottage industry of basically anti-Disney channels. Whatever floats your boat I guess, but when the content is basically 100% negativity it just seems disingenuous to me, hard to take it seriously.

Tom's defense is always "we can criticize something we love". Sure but it's so unbalanced toward the negative it comes off as schtick.
Yes, makes you wonder if they actually "love" it, or just love to hate it. lol

Anybody can like or hate whatever they want, but Tom hates pretty much everything they ever do
I watch WDWNT frequently, and I agree that A LOT of the redesigns have been subpar ( RIP Jazz Kitchen, cheap Incredibles rooms @ Contemporary, putting STICKERS on something and calling it theming, blasting IP everywhere ), but I think Tom must have hit his head on something while living over in Japan….

Look at the woodwork in the artist renderings on those columns, look at the beams in the ceiling…. everything doesn’t need to be blasted with loud colors like it’s a 90’s Disney Jr show….

I watch WDWNT frequently, and I agree that A LOT of the redesigns have been subpar ( RIP Jazz Kitchen, cheap Incredibles rooms @ Contemporary, putting STICKERS on something and calling it theming, blasting IP everywhere ), but I think Tom must have hit his head on something while living over in Japan….

Look at the woodwork in the artist renderings on those columns, look at the beams in the ceiling…. everything doesn’t need to be blasted with loud colors like it’s a 90’s Disney Jr show….
The lake Buena vista historical society did a presentation on the history of Poly at Tiki-a-gogo last month. The video is available online, but I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet. I’ll go look for the link later. The point is, someone mentioned on FB that the new tower is reminiscent of Walt’s original theme for poly and that he died before they changed to the darker tones that poly was actually built with. If this is true, then they are trying to honor Walt’s original dream, and Tom’s criticism is just that much more irrelevant than it already was.

Disney has definitely approached a different design aesthetic in since the late 80s/early 90s....

A couple of thoughts about that....

Disney used to hire serious artists/architects to design these buildings... Now it seems to be generic firms.... I do think that shows in the results... Out with the Robert Sterns and Michael Graves, and in with who knows.... That does have an impact....

I think they are trying to appeal to a wider market with folks from all over the world, and. are trying to cater to a design choice that can translate well to a variety of folks with different tastes from throughout the world...

Personally I prefer the 80s/90s theming which brought us Disney's Boardwalk, Beach Club, Grand Floridian, Swan & Dolphin, etc. but I think those days are unlikely to ever return to Walt Disney World, and even to other resorts.

Disney has definitely approached a different design aesthetic in since the late 80s/early 90s....

A couple of thoughts about that....

Disney used to hire serious artists/architects to design these buildings... Now it seems to be generic firms.... I do think that shows in the results... Out with the Robert Sterns and Michael Graves, and in with who knows.... That does have an impact....

I think they are trying to appeal to a wider market with folks from all over the world, and. are trying to cater to a design choice that can translate well to a variety of folks with different tastes from throughout the world...

Personally I prefer the 80s/90s theming which brought us Disney's Boardwalk, Beach Club, Grand Floridian, Swan & Dolphin, etc. but I think those days are unlikely to ever return to Walt Disney World, and even to other resorts.
I think the new tower looks pretty amazing to me. I do agree that it looks like they are going more middle ground at the new tower. I really like the look of VDH even though I've never seen it in person. If we ever do visit DL, I think I would try to stay there. Looking forward to seeing the tower in person although, I would have liked to have seen it more of a newer take on the original Polynesian.

I think the new tower looks pretty amazing to me. I do agree that it looks like they are going more middle ground at the new tower. I really like the look of VDH even though I've never seen it in person. If we ever do visit DL, I think I would try to stay there. Looking forward to seeing the tower in person although, I would have liked to have seen it more of a newer take on the original Polynesian.
Agreed on both counts. I think the new tower looks beautiful.

I am a DL local, and LOVE VDH. The rooms are gorgeous and blend the art of Disney with a beautiful, upscale but not stuffy feel. I love being 10 minutes from DL, but almost wish I lived further away so I had some justification to buy VDH points.

I'm hoping the Island Tower rooms bring a similar feel.

You're assuming that the majority of DVC members even understand this "issue." To be frank, the people in this forum likely make up less than 10% at most of the DVC membership.

They're definitely not trying to balance the opinion of the upper 10% superfans that attend the yearly condo meeting, visit Disboards or other forums like it, watch DVCFan, etc.

It's simple economics. For whatever reason, they want this property to be in the same association whether it's marketing, it's saving them a dollar legally, it was all part of a long-term plan, etc.

New tower owners won't even know unless they bother to do a bunch of research beforehand, which most won't.

If you listen to former guides, the vast majority of purchases are based on "magic" and "feelings" because you are at the resort already on vacation and don't want to leave.
Let me be clear that I don’t necessarily think these decisions were made with the sole purpose of keeping owners in mind. Its more like I think the decisions they make (for obviously very self serving reasons) will likely benefit both resale and direct owners over the long run.

its a very complicated market/product. Put restrictions on resale, and you end up lowering the demand for the product, thereby decreasing the price they can get for direct sales. Don’t put any restrictions on, and
BPK did indeed struggle to sell for many months and it took severe discounting using the MB program to spark sales again.

RIV, with restrictions, outsold it when it was less expensive. It’s the overdl price that leads the sales numbers vs restrictions and any other factor

I predict that Poly tower will sell well the first few months, like VGf ans VDH did, and will then drop off when its selling for more than RIV and CFW.
History has shown Bay Lake has a premium. As silly as I think it is to spend that much just for easier MK access, we seem to be in the minority.

CFW is a different animal - that’s never going to sell for anything close to current pricing.

I think with the repainting of the longhouses to the color of the Tower (which I read might be the original colors of the longhouses) they are (at least) trying to integrate some of the longhouse look. (Although, would it have hurt to have the roof look like the longhouses).

Some stuff, yes. But I think Disney has given up a lot more ammunition for such in the past five years. But I do see your point. I was shocked that they put Tom back on thier media list though.

I think with the repainting of the longhouses to the color of the Tower (which I read might be the original colors of the longhouses) they are (at least) trying to integrate some of the longhouse look. (Although, would it have hurt to have the roof look like the longhouses).
Agreed! It was a cheap move to not make the roof more similar to that of the longhouses and grand ceremonial house! Nothing but a lousy financial decision by Disney. It really would have just tied it in so much better, but it is what it is

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter