Is this worth mentioning to Member Services

schmass

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I just got back last week from a great stay at BLT. It was our first time staying there, and we loved it!

I had also booked a room at the Boardwalk for my mother. We have stayed at the Boardwalk several times and love it there, as well. The room that we booked was a preferred view. Unfortunately, this was the view:

1zqybmd.jpg

The community pool was in the process of being refurbished and had construction all around it. My mother said there was also a generator running all night, and was so loud that made sleep near impossible.

I realize that everything needs to be refurbished at some point, but at the same time, it doesn't seem quite right to be using points for a preferred room, when a standard view would have been much better. Is this worth mentioning to DVC? Thoughts?

Definitely wouldn't hurt to tell MS! Did your mother or anyone in the room complain about the noise/generator during the stay? That might have had a bigger effect. But I still think MS should know about any unhappiness.

We've had a similar view before with a preferred view room, but it does fit the definiation for a preferred view. I would have said something though about the generator noise going all night, that's unacceptable IMHO, and should have been bought to managements attention.

Thanks for the responses. I think I will send them an email.

I don't think that she told anyone about the noise except for me. She stayed there two nights and it happened the second night. It was so loud that she woke up at 2am and because it was so noisy she thought it was time to get up. She got up and ready for the day and then realized what time it was. I felt really bad when she told me this. She just lost my dad two months ago and these few days in Disney were supposed to be a nice gift to her from us.

If you didn't and if it ever happens again, you should definitely mention the noise from the generator. Even if nothing happens, management needs to know your dissatisfaction.

When I was there in February I got my request of near the lobby on a standard view studio which I had no problem with the location (over the entrance/valet).

I did have a major problem with the amount of noise Valet was making at 5 a.m. and I was in a 4th floor room, so higher up, and my balcony door was closed, as well as the draperies. I called management that early in the morning and very friendly like complained about the level of noise the valets were making with luggage cages and said that I was on vacation so waking up at 5:00 due to hotel noise is not really something I'd consider "vacationee".

The initial response I got was that I got my request and this is the location and valet had to move out luggage for those guests boarding an ME. So, more or less a deal with it attitude as I was in the location I asked for.

I very politely responded that I appreciated them meeting my request, but the noise is NOT something I requested. That is wasn't up to me to deal with the noise, but up to them as management to control the noise level and for the purpose of disturbing their guests as minimally as possible (whether the guest is a points paying or cash paying customer).

I said it's up to you as management to make your guests as happy and comfortable as possible and moving metal crates as loudly as possible around does not meet that criteria. They offered to move my room for the DVC fee! I said I would consider a room change without paying. They did offer to move me without a cost, but the next day.

I very politely thanked them for the offer, but the next day wouldn't work so I decided to stay and asked them to see if there was anyway they could ask valet to just try to be a little quieter. Each morning after, I didn't hear that level of noise at all, and slept quite well and later than usual. So, in short, all they had to do was politely respond with a "we will see what we can do to remedy this situation. thank you and we hope to exceed your expectations" as any high end resort should do.

Therefore, definitely mention anything that is not satisfactory. Just because it's a timeshare, as a matter of fact, because it is a timeshare and owners pay MF's continuously, besides the cost of membership, we should be treated just like any other cash paying guest and have our concerns addressed in a timely and professional manner. It's the Hospitality industry after all whether it's hotels, or timeshares.

Just my two cents. I never wait until I get home or until I have time to email member satisfaction. I go straight to management as I would in any other resort in the world. I am polite, and friendly but to the point and expect an answer, even if it's not an answer I hope to get. I expect my concerns as a guest to be addressed.

Sorry to hear your expectations were less than you hoped for :sad2:

That view is a preferred/pool view villa. We have had the exact same view. Those villas are right across the hall from the standard views. We did not have the generator noise, but did have the view of the quiet pool.

Voicing concerns after the fact won't do you much good, unless the satisfaction of voicing your dissatisfaction is your goal. It's too bad you didn't bring it up during your stay; there's not much management can do for you after you leave. It may help someone in the future, however.

I wonder how DVC could address these issues from a points perspective, since the finite number of points are allocated based on view, and all are probably distributed long before any refurbs are planned. With a cash rental, a monetary compensation (i.e., discount) could be offered, but DVC can't give a points discount, since they'd have to take those from some other category.

I wonder how DVC could address these issues from a points perspective, since the finite number of points are allocated based on view, and all are probably distributed long before any refurbs are planned. With a cash rental, a monetary compensation (i.e., discount) could be offered, but DVC can't give a points discount, since they'd have to take those from some other category.

Depending on the circumstances, Member Satisfaction can refund some or all points used for a stay.

Depending on the circumstances, Member Satisfaction can refund some or all points used for a stay.

Then how would the point allotment change for that particular resort? Or would the number of cash rooms available be diminished?

Then how would the point allotment change for that particular resort? Or would the number of cash rooms available be diminished?

Don't forget that DVD retains ownership of a minimum of 2% of the points at each resort. That may not sound like a lot of points, but I suspect that this is an example of one of the many reasons Disney holds onto that 2%.

Just my two cents. I never wait until I get home or until I have time to email member satisfaction. I go straight to management as I would in any other resort in the world. I am polite, and friendly but to the point and expect an answer, even if it's not an answer I hope to get. I expect my concerns as a guest to be addressed.

Totally agree. Last year, we spent a lot of time at the pool. It was lunch time the pool bar had a line of guests and only 1 bartender who was struggling just pouring a beer (The main bartender who had been there all week was off and the B team was working). While on line I noticed a 2nd bartender who is in the back restocking etc. while the line got longer.

I went to the front desk and voiced my concern, an Asst. Bev Mgr. went to the bar, and was useless, I got on line to hear their discussion and the Bev mgr. was clueless. I voiced my concern when I was being served. I told the mgr. it was unacceptable to have 1 bartender helping guests and another cutting fruit or stocking with a line of guests. She initially defended their use of time saying that they had to restock. I told her I agree but that 1 bartender in the afternoon with the pool packed is not the time, and that either they need to learn to restock earlier or get a bar-back scheduled. It was obvious she wasn't going to do a darn thing.

Once I get annoyed, I am not going to enjoy myself until resolution. I went back to the front desk who were very helpful, they spoke to same Asst Mgr on the phone and agreed she was useless (in so many words). They elevated the issue to a higher level mgr and it was resolved quickly. The rest of the week there were always 2 bartenders out front at a minimum and a much more visible mgt team checking in with the bar throughout the week.

There are no view guarantees with DVC, I don't think it's reasonable to complain about this from a view standpoint, esp after the fact.

There are no view guarantees with DVC...

If I reserved a BVW Boardwalk view, and paid those points for it I better get a Boardwalk view. Same goes for any other DVC resort that charges a specific points value for a certain view.

If I reserved a BVW Boardwalk view, and paid those points for it I better get a Boardwalk view. Same goes for any other DVC resort that charges a specific points value for a certain view.
BW view points are the same as pool/garden view. There's no way to guarantee view, only location. Say you're down on the end close to the Dance Hall and they have scaffolding starting a villa down from yours blocking much of your view of the BW. That's the way it is. Or say for the view quoted there was a big tree right in the day, again there's no reason to complain in this situation. I realize that DVC members tend to be difficult to deal with and seem to have far more than their share of entitlement mentality and thus many would complain.

I went to the front desk and voiced my concern, an Asst. Bev Mgr. went to the bar, and was useless, I got on line to hear their discussion and the Bev mgr. was clueless. I voiced my concern when I was being served. I told the mgr. it was unacceptable to have 1 bartender helping guests and another cutting fruit or stocking with a line of guests. She initially defended their use of time saying that they had to restock. I told her I agree but that 1 bartender in the afternoon with the pool packed is not the time, and that either they need to learn to restock earlier or get a bar-back scheduled. It was obvious she wasn't going to do a darn thing.

Once I get annoyed, I am not going to enjoy myself until resolution. I went back to the front desk who were very helpful, they spoke to same Asst Mgr on the phone and agreed she was useless (in so many words). They elevated the issue to a higher level mgr and it was resolved quickly. The rest of the week there were always 2 bartenders out front at a minimum and a much more visible mgt team checking in with the bar throughout the week.

I pressing the like button! :goodvibes

So, in short, all they had to do was politely respond with a "we will see what we can do to remedy this situation. thank you and we hope to exceed your expectations" as any high end resort should do.

My favorite beach resort has a button on the phone in each rental home labeled clearly "Make It So" - I can't tell you how awesome I think that is. It gives you the go ahead to call and talk to someone who's job it is to make whatever you need happen. The person on the end of the phone has never disappointed yet.

It would be nice if Disney got away from the not-so "front desk" call center - we've had very frustrating experiences and now know you have to physically go to the front desk for help.

Even if they just had a DVC specific call center that was staffed with DVC knowledgeable staff that dealt with folks onsite. I would think with the ever expanding club this would be a nice benefit. Unfortunately from the wait times with Member Services, I don't think clerical staff are a priority for the admin at this time.

OP, it can't hurt to send the email. They should know it bothered her, and really they should have management checking out any potential loud noise at 2am.

My favorite beach resort has a button on the phone in each rental home labeled clearly "Make It So" - I can't tell you how awesome I think that is. It gives you the go ahead to call and talk to someone who's job it is to make whatever you need happen. The person on the end of the phone has never disappointed yet.

It would be nice if Disney got away from the not-so "front desk" call center - we've had very frustrating experiences and now know you have to physically go to the front desk for help.

Even if they just had a DVC specific call center that was staffed with DVC knowledgeable staff that dealt with folks onsite. I would think with the ever expanding club this would be a nice benefit. Unfortunately from the wait times with Member Services, I don't think clerical staff are a priority for the admin at this time.

OP, it can't hurt to send the email. They should know it bothered her, and really they should have management checking out any potential loud noise at 2am.
As I've said before, I think Disney and DVC do fine when it comes to real issues but I do think they're often in catch up mode rather than handling things up front immediately. I travel quite a bit to other timeshares, mostly Silver/Gold Crown with RCI or Premier with II and for the most part Marriott, Bluegreen, Wyndham and DVC but with a few others thrown in. Over the past 20 years I've owned timeshares and especially thinking the lat 5-7, I can't think of a single issue that was fixable on the fly that wasn't handled better with non DVC than when DVC was involved. As a rule, if I have an issue and call the appropriate place (FD, maint, housekeeping) which varies from resort to resort, it's handled right away and I get a follow up phone call to make sure it's done. Again, it's not that DVC is esp a problem but that the others outshine them in this area as well as on site activities and amenities.

Hi,

I just got back last week from a great stay at BLT. It was our first time staying there, and we loved it!

I had also booked a room at the Boardwalk for my mother. We have stayed at the Boardwalk several times and love it there, as well. The room that we booked was a preferred view. Unfortunately, this was the view:

The community pool was in the process of being refurbished and had construction all around it. My mother said there was also a generator running all night, and was so loud that made sleep near impossible.

I realize that everything needs to be refurbished at some point, but at the same time, it doesn't seem quite right to be using points for a preferred room, when a standard view would have been much better. Is this worth mentioning to DVC? Thoughts?

My family returned last week from a long weekend at BWV and saw the refurbishment of the quiet pool. I mentioned to DH as we walked past it that if I had paid points for that view I would have been unhappy. It was loud. I most definitely would have called MS and expressed my displeasure, but as others have said, this probably needed to be done during the stay. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a refund of the difference in points between standard and preferred and that's what I would have asked for.
To the best of my recollection, when the BWV DVC sales office was located on site, it was considered standard view because you were looking at a trailer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter