Is this against the rules or considered bad ettiquette? (Sci-Fi Dine in question)

I understand the theory. But Sci Fi has been around since we started going to WDW in 1993. People have always gone in for a milkshake or ice cream sundae to check the atmosphere & get out of the heat. It’s not quite the same as the new “must do” restaurants. If they start making all sit down restaurants prix fixe, we’re all in trouble.
Yeah I seem to remember sci-fi being marketed specifically as a place to go have milk shakes and/or dessert/ice cream when they first debuted.

It's completely fine. Sci Fi is an a la carte restaurant, you're free to order as much or as little as you want.
This is a serious question. So any restaurant at WDW that is a non-QS but where reservations are required, will welcome patrons who just order one non-alcoholic beverage each when they sit down?

As a chef, small business owner and prior server, I would not welcome that situation. It accounts for a major financial loss for the restaurant and the server. In the OP scenario, the total before tax would be $56 for 8 people having one non-alcoholic milk drink. This is quite different than the bill would be for 8 meals plus beverage. IMHO, it is not okay to reserve sit down dining at 2 four tops and then each person is only ordering a shake.

I pay my employees a living wage so they do not have to rely on tips and low hourly pay. Servers in my large city are living 4 to a one bedroom apartment and doing without health insurance all the while putting up with the sometimes abusive customer who does not understand that most restaurants are severely short-staffed post-Covid. The employees are just not there to hire and I pay mine $25/hr for the lowest positions(sitting down, glazing tarts). Sometimes if we are catering a 125+ person cocktail and apps party, I will get a bonus from the hosts. I split that entirely among the employees who staffed the event. Morale is everything.

Thank goodness that I have a loyal group who has stayed with me through these past difficult years. And thank goodness for all my wonderful customers who continued to patronize my business. Without them, there would be no business. I will always be so very grateful for their support.

This is a serious question. So any restaurant at WDW that is a non-QS but where reservations are required, will welcome patrons who just order one non-alcoholic beverage each when they sit down?

As a chef, small business owner and prior server, I would not welcome that situation. It accounts for a major financial loss for the restaurant and the server. In the OP scenario, the total before tax would be $56 for 8 people having one non-alcoholic milk drink. This is quite different than the bill would be for 8 meals plus beverage. IMHO, it is not okay to reserve sit down dining at 2 four tops and then each person is only ordering a shake.

I pay my employees a living wage so they do not have to rely on tips and low hourly pay. Servers in my large city are living 4 to a one bedroom apartment and doing without health insurance all the while putting up with the sometimes abusive customer who does not understand that most restaurants are severely short-staffed post-Covid. The employees are just not there to hire and I pay mine $25/hr for the lowest positions(sitting down, glazing tarts). Sometimes if we are catering a 125+ person cocktail and apps party, I will get a bonus from the hosts. I split that entirely among the employees who staffed the event. Morale is everything.

Thank goodness that I have a loyal group who has stayed with me through these past difficult years. And thank goodness for all my wonderful customers who continued to patronize my business. Without them, there would be no business. I will always be so very grateful for their support.
I recognize P&L are separated out but generally, do we not understand that it's not just about the bill? Part of why one goes to WDW is to experience whatever the parks and resorts have. An enjoyable time at Sci-Fi for shakes may lead to a return trip or a purchase at a gift shop, etc - so, why sweat it? The person's going at a relatively off-time (late in the evening) - so, it's better for the server to not have any table (I agree with those who say tip as though it's a regular meal)? The parks and resorts have how much traffic - do you really think that this is the only experience Sci-Fi has where someone comes in for dessert? Restaurants that have the problem of not making enough when people only come for dessert have a way to address it (prix-fixe) and have done so - Sci-Fi isn't new (and a trip for desserts here may lead to someone planning a meal there in the future). It just feels like weird morality stuff where people want their rules to be the guiding principle.

I would tip $20 or more on a "meal" of eight milkshakes. I would also probably order a couple appetizers for people to share as well.

Pretty much all TS restaurants at WDW now require an ADR. Milkshakes are more of a dessert, it's not like they're just going there for a soda (that would be weirder and who would bother with an ADR just to have a soda?). Places that have specialty desserts should expect that some customers will come just for the desserts (like the Plaza, Beaches and Cream, etc.).

Do people really not do this at home?

Like please tell me that no one in the history of their lives has never ever ever gone to a restaurant for dessert? I would seriously question this if you've (general) never gone to a restaurant for dessert.

IDK it's common in my area probably because there are few places that ever survive that are meant for desserts, for whatever reason they don't last. Nothing Bundt Cakes is one of the few (aside from ice cream or custard places). But stand alone struggle here. I guess there's a growing market for gourmet fancy cookies but eh not quite the same.

Perkins would have specials for a pie and a drink after 8pm that we used to go to a lot but now the nearest Perkins is a bit of a distance, Cheesecake Factory is a common one. We go to a local steakhouse that has fantastic coffee and a really good carrot cake (we go for dinner at times and other times just for dessert). Longhorn Steakhouse has some really good desserts and so on (although I really like their steaks better than the local steakhouse lol).

Back to the OP people automatically assume the bill would be less than another party's

Do people tip as if they were ordering dinner when going to Beaches and Cream or The Plaza for just dessert? So many people do this and I’ve never seen a hoopla about it for these two places. Many people go and order just the kitchen sink which is cheaper than 8 milk shakes at Sci Fi.

When we’ve gone to beaches and cream for just sundaes or dessert I tip 20%. Never occurred to me to tip as if my family was ordering dinner. In and out in 20-30 minutes.

You know what I find to be "bad etiquette"? People suggesting that we need to somehow "support" a multibillion dollar company by ordering full meals every time we step foot into a restaurant, regardless of the reasons someone might have for NOT ordering a full meal. Just in my own family:

My cousin had gastric bypass surgery and can only manage a few bites of anything at a time.
I have an incredibly small appetite.
My dad has diabetes and manages it largely through portion control.

So if the three of us go to Sci-Fi, we should order three separate adult meals, right? And I suppose at least one appetizer for the table? And maybe a bottle of wine, even though I'm the only one of the three that drinks?

And we should pay for all that food and alcohol, and of course tip at least 20% on it, and then leave it all in a pile that appears entirely untouched for someone to deal with. Just so that Disney won't get mad at us and make Sci-Fi a prix fixe dining experience? Do I have that right?

Or maybe since we're the problem, it's on us to fix it. By never darkening the door of a table service restaurant with our presence. Or taking up a table at a counter service during peak hours. OK, we'll just quietly sneak into a counter service place between 3 and 5pm, where the rest of you won't have to be bothered by us. /eyeroll

You know what I find to be "bad etiquette"? People suggesting that we need to somehow "support" a multibillion dollar company by ordering full meals every time we step foot into a restaurant, regardless of the reasons someone might have for NOT ordering a full meal. Just in my own family:

My cousin had gastric bypass surgery and can only manage a few bites of anything at a time.
I have an incredibly small appetite.
My dad has diabetes and manages it largely through portion control.

So if the three of us go to Sci-Fi, we should order three separate adult meals, right? And I suppose at least one appetizer for the table? And maybe a bottle of wine, even though I'm the only one of the three that drinks?

And we should pay for all that food and alcohol, and of course tip at least 20% on it, and then leave it all in a pile that appears entirely untouched for someone to deal with. Just so that Disney won't get mad at us and make Sci-Fi a prix fixe dining experience? Do I have that right?

Or maybe since we're the problem, it's on us to fix it. By never darkening the door of a table service restaurant with our presence. Or taking up a table at a counter service during peak hours. OK, we'll just quietly sneak into a counter service place between 3 and 5pm, where the rest of you won't have to be bothered by us. /eyeroll
100% agree. like i said in a previous post both me and my hubby are gastric sleeve patients, also my mother. we went to disney in january all 3 of us and the only sit down restaurant we did was hollywood and vine so we could do the fantasmic package. bit different since its a buffet but had it been a non buffet my hubby and i would have shared an entree or just done appetizers. so just because we had surgery to try and lead a healthier lifestyle, should we never be allowed to eat at TS restaurants again or waste money and food on our own entrees where we will only eat a third of the portion?

eta: we only share when we are at disney, when we are home we get our own entrees and bring the rest home for later. not something that is practical to do at disney imo

Do people really not do this at home?

Like please tell me that no one in the history of their lives has never ever ever gone to a restaurant for dessert? I would seriously question this if you've (general) never gone to a restaurant for dessert.

IDK it's common in my area probably because there are few places that ever survive that are meant for desserts, for whatever reason they don't last. Nothing Bundt Cakes is one of the few (aside from ice cream or custard places). But stand alone struggle here. I guess there's a growing market for gourmet fancy cookies but eh not quite the same.

Perkins would have specials for a pie and a drink after 8pm that we used to go to a lot but now the nearest Perkins is a bit of a distance, Cheesecake Factory is a common one. We go to a local steakhouse that has fantastic coffee and a really good carrot cake (we go for dinner at times and other times just for dessert). Longhorn Steakhouse has some really good desserts and so on (although I really like their steaks better than the local steakhouse lol).

Back to the OP people automatically assume the bill would be less than another party's
I have never gone to a restaurant for a dessert. I do not know of anyone who has done that. I don't know of any table reserved restaurant that would approve the host seating 8 people for shakes. I do know that we had a cake only cafe that only offered dessert items but it couldn't make a go of it and closed. Furthermore, I do not consider a $7 or $8 milk based drink the same as a "specialty" dessert such as the Kitchen Sink at B&C. Do people go to WDW and suddenly forget what restaurant dining is? There are probably a number of places at WDW where people can order shakes and take them to other places to sit and enjoy. I'd like to do that on my next trip.

For perspective's sake; I live a very large city with few chain restaurants. Perhaps elsewhere in the country, dessert dining is widely accepted. I only speak for my demographic.

I have never gone to a restaurant for a dessert. I do not know of anyone who has done that. I don't know of any table reserved restaurant that would approve the host seating 8 people for shakes. I do know that we had a cake only cafe that only offered dessert items but it couldn't make a go of it and closed. Furthermore, I do not consider a $7 or $8 milk based drink the same as a "specialty" dessert such as the Kitchen Sink at B&C. Do people go to WDW and suddenly forget what restaurant dining is? There are probably a number of places at WDW where people can order shakes and take them to other places to sit and enjoy. I'd like to do that on my next trip.

For perspective's sake; I live a very large city with few chain restaurants. Perhaps elsewhere in the country, dessert dining is widely accepted. I only speak for my demographic.

People go to B&C with an ADR and order one sundae to share between two people. It’s not just for the specialty kitchen sink.

I do not know what people do in my city in regards to reservations but Disney is a vacation destination. People are going to do things they don’t do in real life. And making an ADR for dessert or milkshakes is a thing at Disney.

You've literally in your entire life never gone to any restaurant for dessert? Goodness gracious what kind of life have you lived?? Said in jest but really it's very common in my area. I mean Cheesecake Factory is known for you know...their cheesecakes :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I'm not even going to pretend that it's regional there nor is Perkins that specifically runs a deal for a pie and drink after a certain time at night (it's to drum up business during a time they would be slower).

As for forgetting what dining is, nope not forgetting not in the least. I think you need to explore more. Come on down to my style of living. You might enjoy it ;)

Furthermore, I do not consider a $7 or $8 milk based drink the same as a "specialty" dessert such as the Kitchen Sink at B&C.
Milkshakes for 8 at B&C equals $64 + tax.
The Kitchen Sink costs $36 + tax.

Even if you had a couple of banana splits on to that Kitchen Sink, the milkshakes are going to cost more. It’s definitely comparable price wise.

The Kitchen Sink is $36 and serves four. That’s $9 a person - not much different than the shakes OP is planning to order.

You've literally in your entire life never gone to any restaurant for dessert? Goodness gracious what kind of life have you lived?? Said in jest but really it's very common in my area. I mean Cheesecake Factory is known for you know...their cheesecakes :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I'm not even going to pretend that it's regional there nor is Perkins that specifically runs a deal for a pie and drink after a certain time at night (it's to drum up business during a time they would be slower).

As for forgetting what dining is, nope not forgetting not in the least. I think you need to explore more. Come on down to my style of living. You might enjoy it ;)
I think you're response is hilarious! Seriously funny. No, I have never walked into a restaurant with 7 others and ordered a milkshake in the dining room.

I think you should live in my city and try to understand that everything in our world is not an amusement park. I never once implied that people who order a dessert only are of a lower economic class. When we lived in NJ, we took the kids to Perkins all the time. I think they had a kids eat free deal. So I only related my experience and what is customary in the capital of the United States which if you are aware, is a big tourist destination. I couldn't possibly be so judgmental as to pretend that I know what is done elsewhere. So yes, there are regional differences.

I think you're response is hilarious! Seriously funny. No, I have never walked into a restaurant with 7 others and ordered a milkshake in the dining room.

I think you should live in my city and try to understand that everything in our world is not an amusement park. I never once implied that people who order a dessert only are of a lower economic class. When we lived in NJ, we took the kids to Perkins all the time. I think they had a kids eat free deal. So I only related my experience and what is customary in the capital of the United States which if you are aware, is a big tourist destination. I couldn't possibly be so judgmental as to pretend that I know what is done elsewhere. So yes, there are regional differences.
Oh I don't think the world is an amusement park clearly given that the behavior you're :sad2: at is something I see around here. Sure we have an amusement park but no one could confuse it for steakhouses lol

I'm not sure what you're meaning about lower economic class. I was meaning my style of living as in going to places for desserts. A nice coffee and cake or cheesecake or piece of pie is a wonderful end to an evening! Or in this case a shake.

Perkins around here had (like I said nearest one is a little away so we don't go much) but it specifically had a deal for $3.99 I believe for a piece of pie and a drink. We'd get coffee (decaf) majority of the time. And it was for after 8 IIRC? Step-father-in-law is not a pie person so he'd get muffins.

By regional I was referring to Cheesecake Factory because no one could legit claim that isn't a restaurant that people go to specifically for dessert. They have an extensive menu for that too...well they should it's in their name ;)

Basically what I'm getting at is it's a rare find indeed that someone in their entire lives has not nor will not on some presumption that it is gauche (which is in a nutshell what you were getting at with your comment about forgetting how to dine) ever never ever go to a restaurant for dessert. Okay you win because I found that rare find :) :)

ETA: Just to give a comparison sake for that steakhouse we often go to for dessert. The typical dish I get is either $16 or $19. I often just get water for a drink although every now and then a beer. The dessert I typically get ranges from $8-$11. I believe the coffee is about $4 (I think it's a tad less than that but the menu doesn't list soft drinks or coffee I'm just going by memory, it's more than $3.50 I know that. So on if I order my normal entree I'm not hungry for dessert and if we go there for dessert we're spending pretty close to what we'd spend with just the entree with water. Not exact but close enough. Just for those looking at pricing. By the way this steakhouse isn't a place I'd get steak at but their chicken fried chicken is their most popular dish and used to be a few dollars less.

Now at Longhorn the steak I get is $15.29 for a 6oz which is what I get (it used to be about a dollar less). We are not hungry for dessert especially after you add in the bread beforehand. I usually get water to drink too every now and then a beer. Their chocolate stampede (which if you're eating it just yourself you better do it over two days!) is 10.29. Now if we're there for dessert it's decaf coffee again. And assume roughly the same price as the other steakhouse. And basically you're again close to what I'd be ordering if I did an entree. Not exactly but close.

Just in case people are concerned about the dollar amounts. And as we've seen with WDW this can vary too. It's never a sure thing that a party is ordering dollar amount more than someone in there just for desserts. And FWIW I know with the places we go to (exception Perkins because they are always dead sadly these days) turning over tables faster does help them in the end. A party there for food especially steaks or a place that serves bread, or salad or both ahead of the meal does take up the table more. And with Sci-Fi it's more plausible the family with just the shakes takes up less time in the end.

Last edited:
You know what I find to be "bad etiquette"? People suggesting that we need to somehow "support" a multibillion dollar company by ordering full meals every time we step foot into a restaurant, regardless of the reasons someone might have for NOT ordering a full meal.

Just as bad is suggesting we shouldn’t take an ADR because someone else might have wanted a full meal there. Should my husband & I not make a hotel reservations because there’s only 2 of us & a family might have wanted that room? It’s all so ridiculous.

See this is why our method of tipping is wrong. If I order a water and a cheap entree and the bill is $20, I'll tip $4-5 depending on service. If I order an alcoholic beverage and an expensive entree and have a $50 bill, the tip will be $10-12. In each case the server is bringing me one beverage and one plate. The effort is no greater in the second example yet the tip is more than double. Makes no sense to me but I follow current norms anyway.

OP, go and enjoy SciFi. Order what you want and tip what you feel is appropriate. You may just end up with a higher bill for your milkshakes and desserts than if you all ordered water and a cheap entree. You aren't cheating anyone else of a chance to dine there. We all have a chance to book ADRs. Sometimes we get what we want, sometimes we don't.

Yep- as long as it isn’t fixed price or a dining package. So few people are going to take that much time out of their limited park hours for something as weird as 1 non-alcoholic beverage that it doesn’t matter to Disney’s bottom line. It would take more effort to enforce minimum purchase amounts than it’s worth to them.

Last edited:
See this is why our method of tipping is wrong. If I order a water and a cheap entree and the bill is $20, I'll tip $4-5 depending on service. If I order an alcoholic beverage and an expensive entree and have a $50 bill, the tip will be $10-12. In each case the server is bringing me one beverage and one plate. The effort is no greater in the second example yet the tip is more than double. Makes no sense to me but I follow current norms anyway.

OP, go and enjoy SciFi. Order what you want and tip what you feel is appropriate. You may just end up with a higher bill for your milkshakes and desserts than if you all ordered water and a cheap entree. You aren't cheating anyone else of a chance to dine there. We all have a chance to book ADRs. Sometimes we get what we want, sometimes we don't.

I agree. It’s always seemed off to me that I have to tip more for you to bring me a steak vs a burger.

I have a family member that doesn’t follow this norm. They have a limit on what they tip based on location and party size and he doesn’t deviate from it no matter what he orders. He tips more at fancy restaurants but less at a diner. They aren’t drinkers so it’s not like his family is asking for wine recommendations and all that. He may get a beer but that’s very rare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter