Is there any actual mixing in the mixology tasting?

Hegemon

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! My wife and I participated in the mixology tasting last summer and were surprised to see that we weren't actually making our own drinks. Is that the norm, or is that just a COVID-era precaution? We're taking another cruise in 2024 and I'd like to sign up for mixology again, but only if we're actually doing the mixing (more like a class). Thanks!

That's pretty much it now... It's possible that the mojito tasting might be different...I did that in 2018 on the Magic and we muddled our own limes/mint and added the liquor/mix ins that were right in front of each person vs Mixology on the Magic/Wonder had premade drinks as no one is allowed behind the bar there

Hi everyone! My wife and I participated in the mixology tasting last summer and were surprised to see that we weren't actually making our own drinks. Is that the norm, or is that just a COVID-era precaution? We're taking another cruise in 2024 and I'd like to sign up for mixology again, but only if we're actually doing the mixing (more like a class). Thanks!
Mixology used to be with guests behind the bar, at least until 2017. They switched to a presentation mode between then and COVID. We did it in March 2020 and we only got to layer a shot ourself. The rest of the drinks were premade.

As late as 2019 we got to mix our own drinks on the Fantasy. I don’t know that it will ever go back to being that way again.

Mixology used to be with guests behind the bar, at least until 2017. They switched to a presentation mode between then and COVID. We did it in March 2020 and we only got to layer a shot ourself. The rest of the drinks were premade.
Even before that I’ve done mixology when you didn’t get to mix your own drink. Really depended on the size of the group.

On the Dream in February, we were able to mix our own Mojitos. The other drinks were all pre-mixed.

I think it always depended on the host and the size of the group. We did it twice - two years apart. Both times there were drinks that were partially prepared where you maybe had to muddle something or mix ingredients. Once a couple of people were taken behind the bar to do mixing but at neither one were there a lot of independent mixing. Honestly, after the first two or so, it was kind of hard to remember anything, let alone have the ability to make a drink. Good thing they gave us the recipes so I was able to do a few at home later.

Last edited:
On the Dream in February, we were able to mix our own Mojitos. The other drinks were all pre-mixed.
This was our experience on the Dream in March. The "mixing" in this case was muddling the lime and mint that was already in the glass, pouring in the rum, and then waiting for the bartender to add ice, soda water and stir. About 15 participants took turns doing this in groups of 3-4. Every other drink was served to us already mixed.

The first part of February we were able to mix one drink ourselves. And smacked some vegetation to add flavor to another drink.

Pre-Covid, we made several drinks ourselves in the mixology class. It was a lot of fun, and the instructor was very entertaining. At one point, one of the ladies was being very conservative in her measurements of some of the liquors in the drink. The instructor told her to go ahead and pour a little more, because the Mouse had money!

The instructor told her to go ahead and pour a little more, because the Mouse had money!
The Mouse certainly has even more money and we who keep on paying (I'm guilty) have less money. :rotfl2:

Ok, this thread is making me feel better about cancelling the mixology booking I have for our upcoming cruise (it will possibly conflict with or run up against the Frozen stage show and that’s our priority - our daughter would have our heads if we missed it 😂)

Ok, this thread is making me feel better about cancelling the mixology booking I have for our upcoming cruise (it will possibly conflict with or run up against the Frozen stage show and that’s our priority - our daughter would have our heads if we missed it 😂)
Probably right near the stage where tasting would be. Not sure time would’ve been a problem.

I’m doing Mixology on my 3 night and it’s at 4:00pm, so won’t conflict with show time

Probably right near the stage where tasting would be. Not sure time would’ve been a problem.
On the Wonder, mixology may be just downstairs from the theater (though I've also seen it in Animator's Palate in the past). On the Fantasy, it would probably be in a venue at the other end of the ship.

I’m doing Mixology on my 3 night and it’s at 4:00pm, so won’t conflict with show time
Ours is at 5pm - we have late dining, so my understanding is that the show start at about 6. With needing to go get our daughter out of the kids club and go get seats, that's probably not going to work.

Ours is at 5pm - we have late dining, so my understanding is that the show start at about 6. With needing to go get our daughter out of the kids club and go get seats, that's probably not going to work.
Yeah I'd say if you didn't have to get your daughter out it would probably be doable, but probably wouldn't work

Reviving this old thread to see if (hopefully) the mixology class now actually includes some mixing of cocktails for the guests. Anyone with recent experience want to chime in? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter