• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is there a different atmosphere at DVC resorts?

imgoingtodisney

Goal! going on this cruise 37lbs less and I will e
Everyone is talking about going "home". Is there a true feeling of being home? How does the atmosphere differ from that of the resorts? More relaxed? Not as excited? Excited in a different way?

Yes there is a different feeling. We bought at OKW in 93 and when we made our first trip, when we stopped at the gate, the guard said "Welcome Home" and I knew I was home. When we arrived at the door of our condo, I looked down and there was a mat on the doorstep that had "Welcome Home" printed on it. Each and every trip since then (twice a year), I have truly felt like I was going home. It doesn't matter what building I stay in, it feels the same every time and every time I am as excited as the first trip. When questioned by family and friends, why we want to go just to DVC, my DH always tells them "Why would I want to go anywhere else, when everything I want is right here at WDW and OKW is like home to me." He's right. Doesn't matter what we are doing during that trip whether its just the two of us or family and friends, we are so relaxed and just enjoy it so much. DH loves OKW because of the birds, ducks, etc. and its peacfulness. We toured OKW in 92 and again in 93, then bought and have never regretted one moment of it. We constantly say how lucky we were to have made the choice to buy.
I'm sure you'll know what we are all talking about once you have stayed at a DVC. Going in 33 days and can't wait.

I've had a week long stay at BWV and a 2 night stay at VWL. I didn't think BWV felt any different from any other resort. It's very mixed in with the non-DVC part of the Boardwalk area, as well as the BWI.

VWL, though, felt different to me. It is much smaller, it is separated physically from the rest of the resort and has a very quiet, relaxing atmosphere, even more than the WL. It is like a small and intimate version of WL.

hi: for us, the main difference is attitude. we do feel a bit of glee from "owning" a little more pixie dust. also, the size and furnishings of a 1br or larger unit will make you feel more like you are at home.

It is in a way a bit more exciting, but yet at the same time more relaxed.

It is exciting to know that you are at Disney with all the comforts of a home, not a hotel room. You can stretch out, have room to change clothes. (Only female and has to change in bathroom in hotels). It is exciting to enjoy the new things at the resort. To rent a water mouse. To have your own front row seat to watch the Boardwalk entertainers - your balcony.

Its relaxing to know you can take that 30 minutes to just sit on the porch and enjoy the sunset from your villa before heading back to the parks to watch the fireworks. The reason is that you know you will be "Home" again and if you don't ride Splash Mountain this time, well it will be here when you get back.

Most of all it is exciting as you relax and fall asleep in the King size bed in your private 1BR (kids on the couch in living room) know that you are in the middle of the Biggest and Best Playground in the World - DisneyWorld

It's a special feeling. Last Feb I had something break in my luggage. What a relief it was to know we have a washer and dryer. It was nice to be "Welcomed Home" We love knowing that we will have an above average place to stay for a long time at a place that we truly love.

We've only stayed at BWV (twice) and are very excited to be going to OKW in Dec. & BWV/VWL in June. I just love the guard's greeting upon arrival and the valets are extraordinary - the rooms are very, very "Homey", but that's where it ends. In my opinion, the staff around BWV weren't nearly as friendly as the majority of hotels/resorts we've stayed at. However, the managers sure do try to go the extra mile if you do have a problem. Well worth it for the comfort of home.

There is certainly a different atmosphere for us as owners, we don't feel as rushed to do everything and get everything in because we don't know when we'll be back.....

I also think there is more of a sense of ownership among guests than in another hotel or resort, people working together to take care of thier investment. Of course, you always get some incosiderate folks, but what can you do......

People seem a bit friendlier to me.... might be my imagination. And there is probably a little more insistance on things being done right, staff behaving appropriately, building being kept up, etc. after all we have large investments and want them to last well into the future.....

I have only stayed at OKW but, found it much more relaxing than at any of the resort hotels. Nobody seemed to be rushing round - just relaxing round the pool, or in Olivia's and generally enjoying themselves.

I suppose that's the great thing about DVC - u know u will be going back so you don't have to rush round - you can have a lovely relaxing time right there "at home".

I think it's a mind set we give ourselves. Sometimes we get a "welcome home", sometimes we don't. No big deal, I know I'm "home", and happy to be there. I think it can compare to a home owner vs. someone who rents; a person who buys their vehicle vs. leasing. You have a different inner feeling when you own something. Not to say good or bad, just a "different" feeling. And the room accommidations really do feel more like home. We eat in a lot more, and I like cleaning our room as opposed to having maid service. There is nothing worse than hurrying to get out of the room for the maid's convenience and staying away long enough for her to get her work done. Although they do a great job and greatly appreciated, it does have it's downfall. Don't miss it!

We're BWV owners, and usually stay there. I don't recall ever having a "welcome home" greeting...but that's okay. We've got a different "culture" at our home away from home. We're the hustle and bustle of urban Disney, situated in 1930' Atlantic boardwalk. We're a "downtown" resort.

BWV is definately not like my home (in suburban Houston). For me, this is good, because my Disney vacation is not about going home, it's about be transported into a different reality. And a DVC membership accentuates my fantasy, by giving me the illusion of living in a different time and place, complete with comforts of home, and pride of ownership is the foundation for this.

Now that we've purchased an interest in VWL, I'm in for a second alternate reality.... Every time we stay at WL, my memories flash back, as a kid: summers at our cottage by the lake, and visiting the local lodge for movies, popcorn, or a bag fun of candy for 25 cents.

I have to say, I love living at the BW and WL even more than visiting the parks...

It is like being "Home". When you go the first time you will get a very special surprise because the rooms are beautiful and very comfortable. Each time after that you know wwhat to expect but it still seems special and very comfortable each time, like home. We have never been disappointed and with the size and things like the kitchen and living rooms areas its more than just a hotel room and make the stay at WDW worth the trip.

Welcome Home - what a nice & refreshing phrase to here after a long (road or flying) trip. The CM's at OKW were just that. The atmosphere is very welcomed difference. Our life back home is hustle and bustle. When at OKW we are much more relaxed because of the surroundings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter