Is it worth it to upgrade to a digital camera?

BrianD

DIS Veteran
I hope this is the right forum for this question.

Do you think it is worth it to upgrade to a digital camera? In the end, does it end up saving you money instead of constantly paying for film & processing?

Also, how do you store all your pictures while you're at WDW? It seems like you would have to spend a lot of money on memory cards.

Any tips or advice???

Thanks in advance! :cool:

I think the ability to see the picture right after you take it and then decide if a re-take is necassery or not or just to bask in the moment of the picture is worth it. Plus, you can only order prints of pictures you actually want prints of, instead of getting prints of pics with your thumb covering half the photo :p

Concerning the price of memory cards, they have come down alot in price lately so it's not that bad. And if you bring a laptop, you can transfer your photos to that. But as I said, stocking up on 2 or 3 memory cards isn't that expensive and should do you fine.

Just be sure to research the right model of digital camera for you before buying. There are huge differences in terms of bang for the buck and quality so don't just go by what the guy at Sears or Circuit City says. Good luck! :bounce:

But don't give up your film camera just yet.

I carry both. As the previous poster mentioned, being able to see your pix on the fly is amazing. Every night we delete the bad ones and so when we get back, they've been edited. I then post the best of them onto our private MSN group photo album and send the links to family and friends. If there are some that I want printed, I use oFoto and the cost is about .29 per print. Very convenient.

I do have a 128 memory card, so I can take a ton of pictures. I use the "medium" resolution mode and they are beautiful.

Having said this, there is more you can do if you like photography with a 35 mm camera. I can play with the light and I do like the ephermal quality film gives me. I still take it, but where I used to take 10 rolls of film over 5 days, now I take 2 or 3, so my processing costs are reduced.

If you go on amazon.com, they have a nifty FAQ section for buying a digital camera, and also a way to compare models.

Good luck!

I love my digital camera! The ability to delete the bad ones is awesome! I got my memory card off ebay and it was A LOT cheaper. I can do 680+ pictures in medium resolution, 1024 in the lowest (only 200 in the highest). This year I will have a separate card just for Disney and when we get back I can just print the ones I want *19 cents a pic at Sams I think*... HTH, Steph

As someone who loves our digital camera, I'll give you some of the pointers that have also helped us with having better pictures.

Remember, digital is different from film, it will not give you as good a picture for things that have extremely high detail. Trees, flowers, indvidual leaves. That being said, the higher your resolution, the better your picture will be. We have a 4.1 mega pixel camera if I remember right. This one takes almost photo-quality pictures of nature whereas our older 3.1 or our even older 1 megapixel didn't. Colors and detail on those came out fairly pixelated.

Keep in mind the autofocus and how it works. If your subject has a white shirt, the autofocus will have a harder time finding the person. They could be blurry. If you focus on the person's blue pants and then move up to their face, you'll get a better shot. Digital cameras have a harder time with this than film cameras for some reason. This is why a lot of people don't like digital. If they don't have a good contrast, try having them hold a red card, focus on that, and then take the picture.

Keep in mind the type of media. Memory Sticks are great, you can use them in most PDAs as well as cameras, and a lot of PCs now come with a slot for them also. Do RESEARCH. Hold the camera in your hand before you buy. Some of them are so tiny, you'll not be able to steady a shaky hand as easily. Others are so huge, it will feel like you're trying to hold a bowling ball after a while.

Also, be sure you buy a camera with a good optical zoom. Digital zooms aren't as valuable as the optical because you'll lose a lot of detail in the picture.

Hope that helps,
Rachael

I really like my digital camera but my boyfriend still prefers film. He says he doesn't have as much control with the digital camera (it's also too physically small for his hands). I agree with Rachel's opinion on the camera details ... sometimes some of the details aren't as sharp. I have to say that it's really nice to be able to see the pictures as soon as you've taken them :p

I love my digital camera! As someone else said, it is great to look at a pic right away and see if it turned out how you wanted it. If you don't like it, delete it and take another right away. At the end of the day I would go back and delete any that I thought was too much like 10 Chip and Dales! Those guys seem to be everywhere! I bring along an extra memory card and get probably about 180 pics between two. I also have mine printed at Shutterfly. I buy the pics in bulk and it sits in my account. When I want my prints I download to them and within 3 days I've got my pics. It costs me 13cents a pic and I use my digital as I would a regular camera. I don't even take my regular one anymore. I have NikonCoolpix 885. The only downfall I can think of is that you cannot take action shots as the shutter is too slow. So all action shots look like a blur. For action I use my video camera that has a digital still feature built it.

I dont like the digital as much as the 35 mm because the zoom is really not very good at all and I DO have digital/optical zoom.

I also dont care for the terrible red eye although there must be something I am doing wrong for it to be as bad as it is ( and the software to edit the redeye is isnt good either).

I DO love being able to delete "bad" pictures but I am not sure that I have made the right investment......

I have been the "picture" person in my family and extended family for as long as I can remember and I am, quite frankly, disappointed with the digital.

I love my digital camera !!! My pics came out beautiful.
Another upside is you can edit or crop the pictures or remove red eye with some software.

Count me as another digital camera lover. We have invested in rechargeable batteries and a huge memory card. If I wanted to, I could take about 200 pictures a day.

We bring a lap-top and transfer all of our pictures at the end of the day, so we start fresh every morning.

The $ we save on film and processing is enormous!

After a trip, we put the pictures on CD's and add music. We can pop our video scrapbook into the computer or DVD player whenever we want to.

It's even better now that you can get copies of your digital pictures at Wal-Mart for next to nothing. Now I can make copies to frame or give away without paying a fortune for ink cartridges for my printer.

vellamint said: "I also dont care for the terrible red eye although there must be something I am doing wrong for it to be as bad as it is ( and the software to edit the redeye is isnt good either). "

I'd have to agree that most of the software out there is not very good for red eye and not all of us have access to Photoshop. I will say that the new Mac OS X systems has a great free software that will take care of red eye and it's amazing. I tend to use a PC for 99.9% of what I want but that feature alone would make me want to use a mac whenever I take pictures.

You're not necessarily doing something wrong. It depends on the camera. Our camera has a red eye setting you can set that will let it flash a few quick times before it takes the picture. Or you can set it for a red light that will shine on the subject, which will also take care of getting those pupils to not dilate.

A lot of it really depends on the camera you get. Unless you buy a good quality, high end camera, you're not getting a good photo. If I wanted to take art shots, I'd probably stick with my Pentax. But if I want good memories that are easy to store, I'll go with my digital.

One other thing, if you ever had a fire, or ever had something bad happen, having all your photos on CD stored in a couple of places will make getting those memories replaced easier.

We love our digital camera. We took it to WDW for the first time in September and it was great b/c we were able to see the pictures as we took them and could delete them if we didn't like the way they came out. We brought our laptop so we downloaded our pictures each night. We were able to put the pictures on cd's and printed out the ones we really, really liked. It was great not having to bring film never mind pay for it and for processing it.

We love our digital! We will have our laptop with us so that we can dump each days pics on it in the evening.

I will also bring my APS for a few shots, but the majority of the pics will be taken on the digital.:Pinkbounc

www.dcresource.com
GREAT camera reviews!!! He shows photo galleries taken with the camera in review and takes the same type of picture with every camera he reviews so you can really decide if you like the way it takes pictures. Also, if you have a MAC, (or even if you don't) Iphoto is a BREEZE! It gets the pics off your camera, displays thumbnails of every pic, lets you enhance the color balance, airbrush blemishes, print photos or make scrapbooks. It is the BEST!
We take a mini digicam to the parks everyday, then dl to the laptop and make our iphoto book for a few minutes before bedtime, reviewing what the highlights of the day were. We can type them right into our book and at the end of the week, either print it out at home or send off for an iphoto book with hardbound linen cover.
I'm a serious photo hobbyist and I've had a hard time giving up my big 35 mm, but I hate to carry it around and be encumbered by it on such a fun trip. The new little digital elph gets 4 megapixels and in a regular print up to 8x10 it looks great! And it fits in my pocket so I won't be worried about leaving it on a ride or having another bulky item to carry.
This will be my first trip to leave my 35 mm at home. I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't found a great little camera, though. If I had to sacrifice and accept substandard photos, I would take my 35mm.

I can't comment on the digital cameras but I can say that we purchased an Advantix Preview from Kodak which works in a similar way to a digital camera. You can preview the picture after taking it and then decide if you want to keep the picture. You can't actually delete the picture but you can set the number of pictures you want to 0 and that picture won't be developed saving you in development costs. Additionally you can request up to 9 copies of a particular picture and when the film is developed that many copies will automatically be printed. Saves a trip back to the store after you go through the pictures and decide you want duplicates of some. We used it on our last Disney trip and just loved it. It seems the best thing about the digital camera is this feature and I was glad to find this feature with the Advantix. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Red Eye is a function of reflected light. Red Eye reduction systems can help by closing down the pupils, but the problem is caused by cameras with a flash too close to the lens. A flash too close to the lens means there's less of an angle and more of the reflected light is captured by recording medium...photography is after all, painting with light, so the camera's just doing its job when it captures 'red-eye'. :)

For a small camera, there's no guaranteed way to eliminate red eye. If you have a red eye reduction function and it's not too terribly annoying to your subject(s) and the people around, be sure to use it. If you're looking for a new camera though, look for one with a flash that is as far from the lens as possible. An example of how Kodak helps with red-eye is their 'cobra hood' flashes. The flash pops up well above the lens and from my experience with our kodak aps (before we went digital) is it does help. I'm sure other manufacturers do similar things to remove the flash from the lens.

As to going digital, I think most consumers will be digital within 5 years...at least in the US. Most people aren't photographers, they're people who want to capture moments in their lives. They want snapshots. Digital cameras do this fairly well. Today's printers also make great prints, and the printers (well, the inks) are finally beginning to rival traditional silver halide in terms of longevity. 35mm is still 'better' overall than digital, but that will change as the technology continues to develop, but right now I think digital has the edge over film for the typical photo taken by the typical human being. My only major problem with digital cameras is this obscene need to keep making the cameras smaller...with the requisite smaller buttons. My fat fingers have a difficult time with most digicams right now. :)

My recommendations for a digicam for snap shots are: at least 3.0 Megapixels, a decent zoom (at least 3x, but keep in mind your own feet are often a better 'zoom' than the one in the camera for snapshots), uses compact flash cards, and one that uses AA batteries. If you don't know, batteries are chewed up by a digicam so being able to use AA rechargeables is a major, major savings.

My anecdotal story: Our last trip 'Home' we took wifey-poo's family for a week at WDW. We took the digicam and wound up taking 1257 photos, not counting the hundred or so I know I deleted. The savings in processing alone paid for the camera, and having the photos in an electronic format has saved me from either scanning all of the prints or getting a film scanner and scanning them. For sure, the resolution isn't quite as high, but for printing the 5x7's and smaller, its more than adequate for a scrapbook or to hang on the wall.

Regardless if you use film or go digital, do yourself a favor and learn a little about photography. There are lots of sites on the Internet where you can learn how to take better photos. I know Kodak has one that I thought was pretty decent for the normal human being. :)

Hope this helps,
Joe

I was against getting a digital camera, but DH bugged me to death about it so we bought a Sony Mavica. It uses the mini-disks rather than memory sticks. I absolutely love this camera! We don't worry about - only 2 pics left on this roll, lets try to take good ones. We take pictures of whatever we want and delete the bads ones. The best part - if we want to share the pictures with family or friends, we just burn a disc for them. No more developing film and trying to store the photos.

wound up taking 1257 photos

WOW!! I thought my DH was bad last summer taking almost 600! I'm not going to tell him how many you took, he might see that as a challenge!:p

If you decide to buy a digital camera, hit some review sites, and research well. Don't take anything with UNDER 3x optical. Digital Zoom is garbage, and does nothing but produce a grainy image. In fact, it's turned off in most midrange digital cameras by default. As far as megapixels, I would suggest at least 3.0, which can produce very clear 8x10 photos. You can get away with a 2.0mp camera, just be aware 4x6 is the biggest photo you are going to get. The lens that the camera has is pretty important as well. You'll want to get rechargable NiMH batteries for your camera too, and a quick (2 hour or less) charger.

I would suggest, over all, the Canon A70 . It's Canon's brand new camera. It uses inexpensive compact flash memory. It's 3.0mp and 3x optical zoom. It has a relatively small form factor, and is pretty light. Another cool feature is the ability to shoot movie clips with audio. I was able to get a deal on it through Dell for $331 - $20MIR with a 256mb compact flash card (takes 154 pictures at best resolution) Another option is the A60, which is the same as the A70 except its 2.0mp, and no movie mode. It will run you close to $100 less than the A70.

Sony cameras are nice, except you tend to overpay for the name. I had a DSC-P71, which I sold on ebay and bought the Canon instead. Here are some links to get you started:

FatWallet Find a deal on your camera of choice. Coupons, etc.
Canon A70 Review
Digital Camera Reviews
Steve's Digital Camera Reviews
Batteries You can find the best rechargables at this site. Powerex(aka Maha) make the longest lasting rechargables coming in at over 2 hours use. Get the 100 minute charger with 4 - 2000mh batteries.

Heres a tip concerning memory cards. I cant remember where i read it though. Instead of buying large memory cards buy many samller ones. At the end of the day swap out the memoryu card and put ni a new one this way if you happen to lose the camera and dont get it back you wont lose all your pics with it.

I have both, digital and Advantix. I love the digital and use it more than the other, but for those must have the best quality, I use the Advantix. But digital keeps processing cost way down.

Did someone mention that you can get prints from Sam's from the memory card or did I read this wrong?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter