Is it Safe to Go Back to the Air?

ronandannette

I gave myself this tag and I "Like" myself too!
How has everyone's experience been with the airlines over the past month or so? After the absolute chaos that ensued world-wide over Christmas, we have been deferring holidays out of fear something would go wrong. :scared:

We really NEED a getaway though, and had some travel credits expiring from Covid-disrupted plans back in 2020. We booked a short, Pacific coastal cruise for early May and flight arrangements that should be easy (Calgary to Vancouver; returning from Seattle to Calgary). We're flying WestJet out and Alaska back.

I know it's impossible to predict; conditions change so fast. I'd still like to hear experiences and opinions though.

I can let you know in 3 weeks how things are going. I had a trip (direct) to Winnipeg the weekend that WestJet had their computer system meltdown and I wasn't affect in the least. This upcoing flight was switched around a little for the return leg as WestJet tweeked their summer schedule. The took care of us with the rescheduled flights even threw in seat reservations for no charge.

We flew Air Canada late Feb, return early Mar. Both ends were very late in leaving. The first leg of the trip was over 6 hours late, return was also over 6 hours late leaving. Didn't get us into T.O. till after one AM which didn't go to well with the 6 year old.
BUT we did get all our luggage and we did finally get to our destinations, so there's that.

We've flown with WestJet twice in the past four months out of Vancouver, first time was December 27th to LAX and more recently in mid March to Honolulu. No issues really to report, our flight home from HNL left about 40 minutes late but we made up the time in the air. Our flight home from LAX in early January left 90 minutes late due to an unruly passenger before we even left the gate 😈

The problems over Christmas were a combination of weather and a very busy travel time.

Bottom line is issues can happen with flights at any time on any airline. The best thing you can do is be prepared and be flexible. Make sure you have interruption insurance. And if flying to catch a cruise make sure you fly in the day before.

The problems over Christmas were a combination of weather and a very busy travel time.

Bottom line is issues can happen with flights at any time on any airline. The best thing you can do is be prepared and be flexible. Make sure you have interruption insurance. And if flying to catch a cruise make sure you fly in the day before.
We're actually flying out of Calgary to board a cruise in Vancouver. It's a 60 minute flight and they go every hour-on-the-hour out of YYC between 6:00 am and 2:00 pm. We've got an early morning flight so even if ours is affected, there should be plenty of other chances to get us there on time. I just can't bring myself to drop an extra $300 on a hotel under these circumstances. The return leg is a little iffier - disembarking in Seattle and flying home at 12:30 pm, without a lot of other flight options. We can always figure that one out in the moment, though, if something goes wrong.

We flew Air Canada late Feb, return early Mar. Both ends were very late in leaving. The first leg of the trip was over 6 hours late, return was also over 6 hours late leaving. Didn't get us into T.O. till after one AM which didn't go to well with the 6 year old.
BUT we did get all our luggage and we did finally get to our destinations, so there's that.

Same. I was “one of those” (will never be again) over Xmas. 27 hours delayed on departure. Arrghhhh . Back to driving to Florida us next year for us. Not sure what I was thinking 🧐

But, I flew West Jet twice, once in March, and once In late February, and it was a little to an hour delay each time. Nothing much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter