Is it me? Turkey question

Haven't really noticed, but in my house turkey is just a gravy delivery system:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Let me finish that sentence...

"for the mashed potatoes and stuffing."

...and cranberry sauce:) I enjoy turkey but the sides are the biggest draw for me. DW and DD both make excellent turkey from either fresh or frozen birds. I don't know all the recipe details but it involves one entire bottle of champagne* in and around the turkey along with orange slices and various other seasonings. They cook it in a bag and it is very moist and flavorful.

*Plus another couple of bottles with the meal:)

I have not really noticed a flavor difference over the years. Then again, I only cook a whole turkey twice a year and don't eat turkey (except lunch meat) any other times.

I use a counter top roaster set at 350 (keeps the oven free for the sides AND I have found the turkey stays moister in it) and I slather the thing with seasoned butter, both under and on top of the skin. It's a mixture of butter, garlic, thyme, parsley, and honey. SO good. I also use the same with whole chicken. The drippings then make a wonderful gravy when mixed with the broth I simmered (from the turkey innards).

Why would brining a turkey make super salty broth or gravy.
I can't see how, unless one is actually using the brine?????

Hey, that's find about the paper-bag.
Grandma's used to cook big hams in paper bags too. And, it does provide great cooking conditions!
Me... Nope... plenty of ways to cover a turkey.
I can do without the 'essence of brown paper'. Hahahahaha!!!!!

I don't like turkey so I don't eat it often, but nowadays when I eat chicken I feel it tastes like cardboard. It's like you have to add a million sauces and species to make the taste even passable. I used to love chicken. Not anymore.

I’ve noticed the same. I buy free range organic chicken and often it has a spongy texture that’s SO unappetizing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter