Is February a good time to visit?

blessed2BaMama

Earning My Ears
So...we got home from our first trip in October and are now thinking of our NEXT trip... I never imagined how much we'd love it!! We are thinking about either September 2017 or February 2018...Since we were there last October I know what to expect for September but I am wondering if February is a good time for Aulani? Ideas?? Go!

We've been three times during February. So I can't compare to other times throughout the year. We have kids. So in order to secure a place for lunch I had to drag myself to an early queue (a la rope drop), but I don't know if that happens any other time.

On the bright side, I was forced to an early start, so I could pick whatever beach chairs I'd like and enjoy a couple of extra hours of the day...

Apart from that we've always had a great time. Never felt insanely crowded.

And the weather has been nearly perfect.

I would recommend.

In fact, Feb 20th 2017 will find us there!

Happy planning!

We have been there every February since 2012. The weather is nice (it's Hawaii, it's always nice) and only had one trip where the rain hung out almost the whole time. But hey, it's a warm rain, it empties out the pools, and if you're going to be playing in the water you'll be wet anyhow, so no big deal! In February the humpbacks are visible off the shore, and the waves on the North Shore are impressive. However, I will warn you, February can also be very crowded. February is typically when most of the schools (on the west coast it seems) take their mid-winter break. I've never not been there in February when it wasn't at capacity. However, I'm hearing that the resort is at capacity more than it isn't these days, so it may not matter. I also find airfare from Seattle to be more than twice what it is in the summer (again, it's known to be a school holiday time, so prices go up). February is a great time to be in Hawaii though!

Feb is a great time but you do get many people coming to Oahu to surf so that feeds the busy-ness, especially in the North Shore. Really cool to watch though

Piggybacking on this thread to ask whether the midwinter breaks are at the beginning or middle of February? We are booked for ten days from the 3rd (our first trip, so not really knowing what to expect) and I'd like to have an idea of how crowded it all might be.

Last edited:

Piggybacking on this thread to ask whether the midwinter breaks are at the beginning or middle of February? We are booked for ten days from the 3rd (our first trip, so not risky knowing east to expect) and I'd like to have an idea of how crowded it all might be.
The mid winter break is at the end of the month. It is the week of President's Day. We are there from the 20th to the 28th hoping the crowd is not too overwheming!

Northeast is usually presidents day week (though some areas are different)
Hawaii breaks in March, so you're fine with that.

Thanks so much :)! It sounds like Presidents Day is at the end of February, so early February is probably good for anyone looking for lower crowds.

Last time we went in February a couple of years ago, we went the week of valentines and it was busy. When we were there the hotel was 98% full. They are saying it's busy in February. I let you know what it is right now, we leave January 8th for aulani

We have been twice for the Pres Day week. We are skipping 2017 for a ski trip instead (now I am sad and wanting warmth and sun). We are now trying to decide about Feb 2018 vs Apr 2018. I am hoping less crowds as pres day week has been full capacity in '15 and '16. But it will cost more points for DVC so we'll have to think about it. Both years we had mostly nice weather but 1-2 days of rain/ wind. Our last day last Feb was crazy rain/ wind and we had checked out of the room with a night flight back. Wasn't the best situation, the community room and lobby were packed and no indoor place to eat, but we had a fun day anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter