Is Chapek on the verge of being fired?

Destabilizing.. By refocusing do you mean Disney +, how many $80 yearly subscriptions do you need to offset each 1 day visit to the park by 1 person. 2? 3? 4? years of Disney+ for each days total spend in the park. Now, as a family of 4, a decade or more of Disney+ to match a long weekend in the park. And with his cheapness in Disney World, many of us are simply saying it's not worth it. Very disappointed knowing it'll be a couple of years before Disney sees and reacts to what is a pretty clear message and negative feedback concerning the recent cuts in value and increased cost. I get it, acknowledging their mistake is acknowledging failure, which often results in management changes. No one is going to take that risk until they have to.
I guess what I was getting at is they aren’t as invested in guests visiting every year or two, or annual pass holders. They seem to be moving in a direction of a once or twice in a lifetime visitor who is willing to spend more on their trips then the hardo guest who visits frequently but are typically more frugal. I wasn’t really going into their other facets of business in this case, although I will concede that they have put a lot of recourses behind Disney+. It was a great business move because of the pandemic, but it definitely “hurt” other areas for the short term IMO

You might be on to something. I'm sure Disney has a lot of "smart people" via economist. I'm sure they've done the price elasticity studies. But studies are only as good as what real people do, not models. The flavor of your comments, along with a lot of other comments, is a level of disappointment. Not to speak for you.....

For my family, if we could hop off of a flight, catch the free MB directly to the park, and go back to the free FP, I suspect post covid we would discuss season passes again. It was clean and mindless, door to door. But if we have to drive, maybe one trip every year or so. A quick 3-4 weekend doesn't work with an 11+hr drive. And then, most food purchases and ancillary purchases we be made off property, since we can with a car. What Disney seems to be missing is once a guest leaves their home, and exits the MB, they are stuck inside of all Disney. No option to spend outside of their property.

NC here, 2 years of that 13 years we had APs..the last time was august 2018-2019. We calculated up the amount of time we were at disney during that time frame, im embarrassed to say that it was 28 nights in a disney hotel, and 2 in an offsite hotel. We took trips a week long each year, and a few mini trips. We loved it. Then the severe hike in AP prices were announced, we did not renew and decided to skip 2020 to go on a cruise in stead (of course that didnt happen.
We were annoyed by some things, but not so annoyed that i wanted to break free from disney all together.
But did go back in 2021.

After the week at Disney in June, we had some good experiences and bad, but the week we came home was when it was announced that only Deluxe resorts guests would get the magic hours. It made us feel like after all the money we've spent over the years, that our money wasnt good enough for them anymore.

There is not one disney related item that my kids are getting for christmas this year for the first time ever.

We're stuck with Chapek for awhile I believe, but i do believe there is a complete disconnect with some of their consumers, now is that disconnect enough to make a difference. I dont know.

We wont be going to WDW next year either.
time to Put hogwarts letters in their stockings

I guess what I was getting at is they aren’t as invested in guests visiting every year or two, or annual pass holders. They seem to be moving in a direction of a once or twice in a lifetime visitor who is willing to spend more on their trips then the hardo guest who visits frequently but are typically more frugal. I wasn’t really going into their other facets of business in this case, although I will concede that they have put a lot of recourses behind Disney+. It was a great business move because of the pandemic, but it definitely “hurt” other areas for the short term IMO
I'm not so sure it will be short term. Many of the things they have done since the pandemic to the parks they always wanted to do. Genie+ was something they wanted to implement and getting rid of Magic Express is another. With how much they lost the past 2 years they are doing what they can to recoup a lot of that as quick as possible.

I'm not so sure it will be short term. Many of the things they have done since the pandemic to the parks they always wanted to do. Genie+ was something they wanted to implement and getting rid of Magic Express is another. With how much they lost the past 2 years they are doing what they can to recoup a lot of that as quick as possible.

I agree with your point about those specifically, I wasn’t being clear, I was referring to things like no parades at WDW, until recently, limited food choices, closed restaurants, missing entertainment, ect…

I also agree that the other things were a long time coming, which is why I don’t blame chaepek for those decisions completely either.

I think people almost have sticker shock here, bc these things were probably meant to be rolled out over the course of several years, but the pandemic forced them into reacting quickly, and to your point, attempting to recoup lost revenue, that doesn’t mean he’s doing a bad job, he’s just not doing popular things, and I think a lot of people would tell you that sometimes to be successful you need to do unpopular things sometimes

Chepek is the end of the line. he could have stopped any of the cuts at anytime he wanted. Im not saying he actively sits at home planning how much he can save by cutting down sauce in the hot dogs. However he would have signed off on cost cutting, ultimately it was done on his watch so therefore hes to blame.

time to Put hogwarts letters in their stockings
well, given what Disney has done over the past 6+ months, instead of a Disney trip later this month we're heading to Universal for the first time. Maybe when all is said and done we'll find out that Universal is actually better. That's why a company should never "force" a customer to try the competitor.

Chepek is the end of the line. he could have stopped any of the cuts at anytime he wanted. Im not saying he actively sits at home planning how much he can save by cutting down sauce in the hot dogs. However he would have signed off on cost cutting, ultimately it was done on his watch so therefore hes to blame.
Chepek is in a very difficult position. Not one of these changes have been applauded by the public. I suspect, like me, there are any number of families that have said enough, the value proposition just isn't there any more and are trying other vacations. And that is what it really boils down to, the value proposition. That said, if Chepek was a "real" leader he would simply state that these changes are temporary and only due to COVID. Seems like it is the "in thing", blame covid for your horrible service or value. Think supply chain issues. Give this latest spike a chance to run its course and bring back some of the reduced value. Hey, if Coke was able to quickly recognize that New Coke was a bust then Disney should be able recognize their bust, such as the elimination of the Fast Pass and the Magic Express. Who didn't feel the Disney "magic" as soon as you got on the bus and start watching the videos. Sadly, that will never happen. If in the short run the net financial impact is positive Disney will take the written abuse from costumers as long as the checks get cashed.

So there is now a report from an anonymous Disney executive that says Bob Igor will return and take over early next year. Do not put any faith in anonymous sources, but what this does tell me is that those on the inside are really not happy with Chapek's management. Does this spell doom for Chapek, nope -- unless the stock price plummet.

So there is now a report from an anonymous Disney executive that says Bob Igor will return and take over early next year. Do not put any faith in anonymous sources, but what this does tell me is that those on the inside are really not happy with Chapek's management. Does this spell doom for Chapek, nope -- unless the stock price plummet.
It's not from a Disney executive (or at least it doesn't say that it is). They asked anonymous media executives to make guesses as to something significant and not obvious that might happen in 2022.

It's not from a Disney executive (or at least it doesn't say that it is). They asked anonymous media executives to make guesses as to something significant and not obvious that might happen in 2022.
The quote from that article sounds more like a shot out of a cannon, than a rumor that holds any merit. The article also seems like clickbait, as there is not a source to be found, literally as good as a bus driver told me haha.

Would never happen. CNBC has a article today speaking about Iger decided to retire. Other than Apple, what other major company would backtrack like that. All it really takes is for Disney to blame COVID, and reverse course. They have an "easy" out. In the mean time, we'll see how ,much value and fun we have at our approaching Universal trip.

I know a lot of Disney guests and Stockholders are not pleased with the products/experiences at the parks, the movies are struggling, the stock has dropped 13% in 2 weeks after announcing “the most disappointing earnings statement in 10 years” per Market Watch, Taking the 1.8billion shares of DIS stock dropping $24 per share the value of the company has dropped +/- 43 Billion dollars in 2 weeks. Now, Chapek cancelled his scheduled appearance at D23 this weekend. Some have speculated he didn’t show due to fear of being booed on stage.

In fairness, many of the challenges that Disney has faced has been Covid related. That being said, many of the challenges have self inflected by Chapek. Is he on the verge of being fired?

Your thoughts?
this is exactly why Iger pulled out back in 2019 November. He knew that the COVID world pandemic was coming from his sources in China.

He will probably return when COVID is officially over. The guy knows what he is doing.

Would never happen. CNBC has a article today speaking about Iger decided to retire. Other than Apple, what other major company would backtrack like that. All it really takes is for Disney to blame COVID, and reverse course. They have an "easy" out. In the mean time, we'll see how ,much value and fun we have at our approaching Universal trip.
I agree, but I do think Disney is in a pickle with Chaepek, he wasn’t Igers first or second choice, and there really isn’t anyone else within the company that’s even close to ready to take the helm. Given disneys track record on hiring from within, (excluding Eisner and Wells, and let’s face it, that was a desperation move that paid off huge) this may mean that they are stuck with Chaepek come hell or high water, for the foreseeable future

I know a lot of Disney guests and Stockholders are not pleased with the products/experiences at the parks, the movies are struggling, the stock has dropped 13% in 2 weeks after announcing “the most disappointing earnings statement in 10 years” per Market Watch, Taking the 1.8billion shares of DIS stock dropping $24 per share the value of the company has dropped +/- 43 Billion dollars in 2 weeks. Now, Chapek cancelled his scheduled appearance at D23 this weekend. Some have speculated he didn’t show due to fear of being booed on stage.

In fairness, many of the challenges that Disney has faced has been Covid related. That being said, many of the challenges have self inflected by Chapek. Is he on the verge of being fired?

Your thoughts?
We can only hope Chapek gets fired. I'm sure everyone has now heard the rumors that Iger may come back to replace Chapek. Please, please, please make this happen Disney!

Correct. But where there is smoke, there's fire. Executives aren't making statements like that unless they have heard something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter