Is anyone as frustrated as me, due to no 2008DDP info yet?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, I think, by now, Disney does know, and would provide a partner like Virgin that information, or Virgin would simply not start offering the Dining Plan yet.
Agreed. I'm just suggesting all possible options. After all, with Disney, until it's in ink on paper, it's always subject to last-minute changes.

Actually, for details of the Dining Plan, it is still subject to change, even after it is ink on paper (though something like whether or not appetizers are included is likely to NOT be something that they'd change without notice).

there is absolutely no chance of a uk tour operator showing us their contract with Disney. Their additional information as shown on a previous page is as much as they will make public. They have advised in a letter to all affected existing clients, is that this is information provided to them by resort.

Val
xx

I really wouldn't care to see their contract, but they could show you the relevant language in regards to what is included in the dining plan.

for details of the Dining Plan, it is still subject to change, even after it is ink on paper
touché!

As an aside, even if tip isn't included, and even if an appetizer is not included, AND even if you don't get dessert in your CS meal, you are probably *still* going to at least break even on the plan. For example, consider a hypothetical visitor who buys:

* a blueberry muffin at the Bake Shop (about $3). Plus a "coffee" (nescafe: blech) which wouldn't be covered by the plan
* the ham sandwich and a bottle of water for lunch at CHH (about $9.50, including tax)
* the seafood diavoli (a personal favorite), an iced tea, and the tiramisu at Tony's (about $32.50 +/-, after tax, before tip)

Total out of pocket for the day: $45 plus tip. So, the plan is still a bit less, but not as good of a deal as it used to be. If that hypothetical visitor instead goes to Crystal Palace for dinner, then dinner plus tax, but before tip, is $30. Out of pocket that day is still a few dollars more than plan costs.

DDP guests pre-pay for dining and basically commit to having all their meals at participating restaurants. Customers normally expect discounts for pre-paying and for making a "quantity" purchase. DDP guests also look to save enough money to compensate for any discounts they may be forgoing on tickets and room.

I'd probably look for at least a 25% discount before the dining plan makes sense.

I suspect guests who use their credits at most two credit restaurants, at least CRT and the dinner shows, will come out behind. Guests that use their credits at most of the character meals are likely to break even, at best.

touché!

As an aside, even if tip isn't included, and even if an appetizer is not included, AND even if you don't get dessert in your CS meal, you are probably *still* going to at least break even on the plan. For example, consider a hypothetical visitor who buys:

* a blueberry muffin at the Bake Shop (about $3). Plus a "coffee" (nescafe: blech) which wouldn't be covered by the plan
* the ham sandwich and a bottle of water for lunch at CHH (about $9.50, including tax)
* the seafood diavoli (a personal favorite), an iced tea, and the tiramisu at Tony's (about $32.50 +/-, after tax, before tip)

Total out of pocket for the day: $45 plus tip. So, the plan is still a bit less, but not as good of a deal as it used to be. If that hypothetical visitor instead goes to Crystal Palace for dinner, then dinner plus tax, but before tip, is $30. Out of pocket that day is still a few dollars more than plan costs.

I really wouldn't care to see their contract, but they could show you the relevant language in regards to what is included in the dining plan.

That information would be in their contract from Disney surely. They have chosen to display this information on their website, which I have cut and pasted into a previous post on this thread .. which as I say will be as close as any of us will get from these large Tour Ops.

Hi,

I recieved a letter today from Virgin Holidays to say that since booking, and paying for our dining plan reservation for October 2008, there have been a couple of changes:-

1. No STARTERS (Appetizers) included in Table Service!:scared1:
2. Gratuities NO LONGER INCLUDED!!:scared1:

Has anyone else heard this? Ive been on website, but no info!!

This year we are paying £28 ($40) per adult and £16 ($25) per child, not such good value any more (?):sad2: for 16 days!

Agreed, but there really isn't any reason to pre-pay for the dining plan and possibly pay more for tickets and room if you're not going to do much more then break even.

I looked at your analysis and the losing the tip wipes out most of the savings.

I think replacing the TS appetizer with a choice of soup or salad would be a fair compromise. I think dropping the dessert from the CS meal, let a guest who wants a CS dessert use a snack credit, is fair.

Disney may want to reduce the number of guests who use the dining plan.

I agree. Here is a copy of the analysis I did last year to demonstrate that to myself:

http://brianandrobbie.com/DiningPlanEstimatedCostsNoAppyNoDessert.htm

Disney may want to reduce the number of guests who use the dining plan.
There is no question in my mind that Disney has been under-pricing the Dining Plan since 2005. That's more than enough reason for them to make these changes, beyond what you suggest, which is also likely a strong contributor: Trying to balance the impact of the Dining Plan with operational capacity.

WOW, that makes the DDP not such a great deal anymore. I hope that it is not true, especially since you are all paid up.

We are debating between the DDE card and the DDP for our family and without those items, the DDE card is the winner.

What makes this even worse is we're just going to miss the cut off by a few days. Our trip is Jan 6-11th :sad2: . We were really looking forward to using the DDP for the first time too. :confused3

It has been pretty much fact that tips are gone per the server CMs here in the union. Unless disney gets major flack. The no appys doesn't amek much sense since the market research they were doing was moreso on expanding the plan and the price then eliminating pieces of it.

I don't think the dining plan was under-priced as much as Disney didn't anticipate how guests would use/abuse the plan. I doubt Disney anticipated the number of guests who wouldn't "waste" a child credit on an child meal. I don't think Disney anticipated the number of guests who would stretch their credits, thereby reducing restaurant capacity, by sharing meals. I don't think Disney anticipated the extent guests would be looking to "max" out the plan by gravitating to ordering the most expensive menu item and the most expensive restaurants.

I think the dining plan was fairly priced, based on how guest normally order food but not based on the ways guests were able to "game" the plan.

A previous meal plan became something like pay $20 and get $25 worth of food.

There is no question in my mind that Disney has been under-pricing the Dining Plan since 2005. That's more than enough reason for them to make these changes, beyond what you suggest, which is also likely a strong contributor: Trying to balance the impact of the Dining Plan with operational capacity.

I hope so too I'd probably still do it but would definately be looking at the prices to get my moneys worth. I think it will spell big trouble for DDP if it is true and the restaurants will suffer as people will eat at CS more to control costs!!

Hi,

I recieved a letter today from Virgin Holidays to say that since booking, and paying for our dining plan reservation for October 2008, there have been a couple of changes:-

1. No STARTERS (Appetizers) included in Table Service!:scared1:
2. Gratuities NO LONGER INCLUDED!!:scared1:

Has anyone else heard this? Ive been on website, but no info!!

This year we are paying £28 ($40) per adult and £16 ($25) per child, not such good value any more (?):sad2: for 16 days!

No appetizers, no gratuity and the prices for the plan are going up? $25 per child??:scared1:

I think prices across the board are going to go up. Chef Mickeys and CRT are both already announcing their prices are going up. The appetizer thing doesn't bother me as much as the tax and tip.

I really hope this isn't true as we won't use the DP if it doesn't make sense for us. The only time we have used the plan was when it was free last August and this September. We have the DDE card so it makes more sense for us not to have the Dining Plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter