Interstitial Cystitis?

oybolshoi

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if anyone here has been diagnosed with this and if so, have you any advice on how you and your doctor try to manage the condition?

I have not been officially diagnosed yet ... we're still testing for other things and we do know that I've got issues with calcification in the kidneys. But my urologist sounds pretty confident that IC has reared its ugly head in addition to the kidney stones.

I'm used to chronic conditions ... I have Crohns Disease, Endometriosis, and Arthritis ... but I'm starting to get a little frustrated (OK, a lot) and am trying to find ways to manage the fatigue and the pain / discomfort, especially in light of working 40-50 hours per week.

I apppreciate any thoughts or suggestions you may have. Thanks! :flower3:

Just returned from nine days at WDW where I feel that I have become intimately acquainted with several bathrooms, especially at Epcot. :laughing:

I was really hoping someone might have some insight to share while I was away ... I guess I'll just keep muddling through. :confused:

First :hug: Second, I am sorry I don't have any experience with the actual diagnosis, I do have the sypmtoms of this disease. Last, I would like to be with you during this, so I am in for the long haul....

Please make sure to update. You can PM me anytime. I suffer from many problems with my bladder. I have extreme pain most of the time, Dr's found nothing. I have had attacks where my bladder bled so much that I spent many hours in the ER... Infections that don't show up, pressure, painful cycles, etc. All symptoms start and stay in the bladder and surrounding area.... Sound familiar? My Dr's have not diagnosed anything for me. So I do understand, but I can't give you any info... I wish I had an answer for you. Diane

Hi Diane, thanks for posting. It sounds like you really have it bad - I'm so sorry to hear that you've been unable to get a definite diagnosis ... that's so frustrating. :hug:

As for me ... I had an IPV the day before we left for WDW and have since found out that everything looked OK (kidneys, bladder, etc.). So now it's time for the cystoscopy (I think I spelled that right) which is scheduled for next week.

It's just been really annoying since this began to get bad ... which was probably late in July. I feel like I'm walking around with a perpetual UTI and nothing seems to make it any better. I didn't let it get in the way of having a good time at the world, but it was frustrating to have to stop to use the bathroom every 30-40 minutes. Epcot should probably just name one of those stalls in the UK after me. :laughing:

Hope you feel better soon and thanks for the support - I really appreciate it. :flower3:

Sorry your trip was so well "interupted". I had a cystoscopy a while back after the ER trip. They stated that my bladder looked "normal" expcept for a small area where the bleeding was coming from, probably from an undectected infection. The test was very easy and I was not uncomfortable at all if that helps. I had more problems with the IPV and the dye. You are in my thoughts. Keep me informed. Diane

I'm sorry you're suffering through this! Whenever the dr. does a urinalysis on me there's "trace" blood but my mom had the same thing and it's never been anything at all. I used to have anxiety attacks that manifest in UTI feelings when it was 100% not a UTI. My primary care sent me to a Urologist 2 years ago just to be sure the trace blood was nothing serious. The Urologist was very nice but he couldn't find anything. He did a cystoscopy and I hate to contradict Diane, but it was one of the most painful tests I've ever gone through! After the cystoscopy I was in pain for 3 days and felt like I had the worst UTI ever known. I was there for a consult and the Urologist said "let's just do a cystoscopy" and I was led into another exam room. I had no idea what was coming or how awful I would feel. He did say I had one of the worst reactions he's ever seen, but I later found out that most drs. give the patient Valium or a light sedative before doing the test. Mine did nothing! Please talk to your doctor before the test and make sure he/she has fully informed you about what it entails. For me, it turned out that it was all anxiety, so "all in my head," which was hard to deal with at first, but has actually turned out really good because I've been able to deal with the anxiety and no longer have random UTI symptoms.

Best of luck for a quick diagnosis and treatment :hug:

Thanks to both of you for the input and the support. I've actually been planning to call my doctor's office tomorrow to ask some questions. I'm usually swamped at work through Wednesday and don't have much time to call during the day. Thursdays are breathing days at my office so I can make all the calls that I've added to my list since we got home last week.

In the meantime I'm just keeping on keeping on ... trying not to let things get me too bummed out. :thumbsup2

Thanks to both of you for the input and the support. I've actually been planning to call my doctor's office tomorrow to ask some questions. I'm usually swamped at work through Wednesday and don't have much time to call during the day. Thursdays are breathing days at my office so I can make all the calls that I've added to my list since we got home last week.

In the meantime I'm just keeping on keeping on ... trying not to let things get me too bummed out. :thumbsup2

Please let me know how everything is going. Hope you got to speak with the Dr. I had only a local rub during my cysto, like lidacaine. I do take and did take my Xanax before going to the test. I would ask your Dr. what he does to make you comfortable. Sorry that the PP had such a bad experience with the test. Everyone is different and I pray that you will have no side effects and that the pain is small. Diane.

spoke with the nurse today who was very nice. she said they will do a flexible cystoscopy ... should only be about 5-10 minutes and will give me a local anesthetic to ease any potential discomfort. nothing to do now but wait ... and go to the bathroom. :laughing:

Had flexible also. It took about 5 minutes total for the test.... You will be just fine... Well if you could stay away from the bathroom it would be better;)!!

Back from the urologist and the cystoscopy ... it wasn't pleasant but it wasn't as bad as it could have been I suppose. I cheated and popped a darvocet right before I left the house. ;)

The diagnosis is official ... IC joins the other chronic conditions that I deal with on a daily basis. I have a prescription that I'm going to start taking this evening and then a follow-up with the doctor in five weeks. If this doesn't work then we'll move on to other drugs / treatments.

I'm also going to start keeping a closer eye on my diet to see if there are any triggers that may cause it to flare up more than usual. But I refuse to give up my coffee! :laughing:

Thanks again for letting me share ... I hope anyone else who's dealing with something similar feels free to post here. I think we could all use a little support and encouragement, especially with some of these conditions that are things you're not supposed to talk about in polite society. ;)

I think I'm just going to start telling people that my internal plumbing is shot to hell. :laughing:

While I am sorry that it is official that you have Interstitial Cystitis, I am grateful that you got a diagnosis. The not knowing part of all these things happening to our bodies is sooo horrible. Oh and I can join your group...

Hi, my name is Diane and my internal plumbing (the whole system front and back) is shot to he double hockey sticks also!!:rotfl2: :rotfl2: and so is my digestive system, hormonal balance, my anxiety coping part of my brain, and well lets say all of it Sucks!!

I give you points to be on the Mom's Panel for Disney. Isn't the bathroom one of the most major concerns all Moms have and just think, you will be an expert in that area.

Hope the meds work. Do you mind if I ask what they started you on? Diane

After this last trip I feel especially qualified to give advice on many of the bathrooms in Epcot. Avoid Germany if possible ... their toilets are off-center of the stalls - makes it very difficult to use the facilities. :laughing:

As for the drug I'm starting, it's called amitriptyline - a very low dose pain reliver / anti-depressant. My doctor was very careful to explain that he's not giving me this drug because I'm depressed (although I am always a little down after coming home from WDW ... ;) ) but because it apparaently has some beneficial side effects that really help with this condition. I haven't read up on it yet ... I was taking a nap.

The dose is only 10mg per day. But he said it could take about 4-6 before I notice any real improvement.

Just checking in to see how your test went. I am SO happy it wasn't too bad!! I forgot to mention that my urologist gave me a list of foods that can cause UTI-like symptoms and I try to avoid them. Top of the list: cranberries! Also, strawberries, tomatoes, lemon juice/lemonade, onions, pineapple. Basically anything too acidic.

I was on amitriptyline years ago, after my IBS was diagnosed. But, happily with diet changes, regular exercise, and therapy for my anxiety, I've been off it for almost 4 years now and doing very well. It will make you a little sleepy and can cause you to wake up with a very dry mouth. I took it for years and every so often they had to increase my dosage as my body just sort of got used to it. When I stopped I weaned off from 30mg to 20 to 10 to 5 to nothing over a few weeks.

I was actually thinking about you when I saw a commercial for that new stuff, Detrol. Did your doctor say anything about that?

Sounds like you have a good doctor who is on the right track. I was so happy to read that they gave you something before the test - I wish mine had! Good luck in your treatment!

Hi. I am so sorry you have been diagnosed with IC. :grouphug: I have had interstitial cystitis for 6 years now. Additionally, I have ulcerative colitis and pelvic floor dysfunction. I hope the amitriptyline (elavil) helps you. There are MANY other meds and treatments available for IC patients. Has your doctor started you on Elmiron (the only FDA approved oral medication specifically for IC)??? Atarax? Prosed, pyridium, urelle or any bladder analgesic?...........the list of possible helpful meds goes on and on.

Dealing with IC is difficult and requires a great deal of trial and error to get under control. I highly recommend you learn as much as possible about IC so you can better communicate with your doctor and make more informed decisions regarding your treatment plan. There is a wonderful website devoted to support and information for people with IC. You can find it by searching for the Interstitial Cystitis Network. There you will find a wealth of information on IC, diet, medications frequently used and other treatment options. There is also a support forum on the website that is comprised of thousands of other ICers who can support and help you.

Diet is absolutely crucial for getting IC under control. That cup of coffee (even decaf) can cause increased inflammation, increased frequency and urgency as well as more pain. There are far more foods besides coffee which can irritate a bladder damaged by IC. You can find detailed information about the IC diet on the website mentioned above.

I hope you will seek out the help of other ICers. They can really help you get on a good track for recovery. Hope you will be feeling better very quickly!

Just checking in to see how your test went. I am SO happy it wasn't too bad!! I forgot to mention that my urologist gave me a list of foods that can cause UTI-like symptoms and I try to avoid them. Top of the list: cranberries! Also, strawberries, tomatoes, lemon juice/lemonade, onions, pineapple. Basically anything too acidic.

Thanks so much for checking in - I appreciate it. :hug:

You know what kills me about that list? The cranberries. For years I've been drinking cranberry juice because it's supposed to help with UTIs ... joke's on me I guess. :headache:

The only other thing on that list that I really like is tomatoes ... I could eat fresh tomatoes every day of my life and never grow tired of them!

I was on amitriptyline years ago, after my IBS was diagnosed. But, happily with diet changes, regular exercise, and therapy for my anxiety, I've been off it for almost 4 years now and doing very well. It will make you a little sleepy and can cause you to wake up with a very dry mouth. I took it for years and every so often they had to increase my dosage as my body just sort of got used to it. When I stopped I weaned off from 30mg to 20 to 10 to 5 to nothing over a few weeks.

I was actually thinking about you when I saw a commercial for that new stuff, Detrol. Did your doctor say anything about that?

Sounds like you have a good doctor who is on the right track. I was so happy to read that they gave you something before the test - I wish mine had! Good luck in your treatment!

The amitriptyline does make me sleepy - I take it about an hour before going to bed. I'm definitely sleeping a little better so that's nice.

We didn't talk about Detrol at all. So much of my problem has been tied in with pelvic pain and overall discomfort along with the urgency / frequency issue that I think he wanted to try to alleviate the pain first. And I was getting up two - three times in the middle of the night so I wasn't getting a lot of sleep either.

Wacky wacky how these inflammatory issues affect people. And I do like this doctor - he seems pretty sharp and is easy to talk with.

Hope you're doing well! :goodvibes

Hi. I am so sorry you have been diagnosed with IC. :grouphug: I have had interstitial cystitis for 6 years now. Additionally, I have ulcerative colitis and pelvic floor dysfunction. I hope the amitriptyline (elavil) helps you. There are MANY other meds and treatments available for IC patients. Has your doctor started you on Elmiron (the only FDA approved oral medication specifically for IC)??? Atarax? Prosed, pyridium, urelle or any bladder analgesic?...........the list of possible helpful meds goes on and on.

Dealing with IC is difficult and requires a great deal of trial and error to get under control. I highly recommend you learn as much as possible about IC so you can better communicate with your doctor and make more informed decisions regarding your treatment plan. There is a wonderful website devoted to support and information for people with IC. You can find it by searching for the Interstitial Cystitis Network. There you will find a wealth of information on IC, diet, medications frequently used and other treatment options. There is also a support forum on the website that is comprised of thousands of other ICers who can support and help you.

Diet is absolutely crucial for getting IC under control. That cup of coffee (even decaf) can cause increased inflammation, increased frequency and urgency as well as more pain. There are far more foods besides coffee which can irritate a bladder damaged by IC. You can find detailed information about the IC diet on the website mentioned above.

I hope you will seek out the help of other ICers. They can really help you get on a good track for recovery. Hope you will be feeling better very quickly!

Hello there and thanks so much for your post. The stuff I'm on right now is our first try - I go back in about five weeks for a progress report. My doc was pretty upfront about the possibility of having to switch things up. I'm used to that to a certain extent thanks to dealing with Crohns disease.

I have been reading a lot on the IC website - my doctor gave me a lot of great information and even before I'd seen him I was already reading about it because I suspected something more than a chronic UTI was at work.

It sounds like you're dealing with a lot of the same things I am - I hope you're feeling good these days yourself. :hug:

Thanks again for the great advice and information - I sure appreciate it!

Oybolshoi you are in my thoughts... Hoping you are getting some relief from the new meds..

It sounds like you have an informed doctor with whom you communicate well. That's GREAT!!! It is tremendously important to work with a physician who is up-to-date in their knowledge of IC and all the treatment options now available. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of uninformed doctors out there who know nothing about IC (including some urologists). There are even some doctors out there who don't believe IC is real and that it is a psychosomatic syndrome. IC has been recognized for over 200 years, but not much research was done until the last 15 years or so. Why? One reason is 90% of those suffering from IC are women (though many now believe chronic non-bacterial prostatitis in men is actually IC). It was considered an "hysterical" condition of women and not worth researching. Recent research has given us lots of scientific proof of IC and people who have suffered because they were told "it's all in your head" are now winning malpractice lawsuits. Still, there are many doctors out there who were not educated about IC and it is going to take time for those doctors to get up to speed.

Researchers are beginning to make progress. We still do not understand the cause of IC, but we are beginning to discover some clues. There is a great deal of reason for hope that the elusive cause will be found and will lead to a cure or better treatment options.

I'm glad you found the Interstitial Cystitis Network on the web. The information and support there will be of tremendous value to you. Another source of information is the Interstitial Cystitis Association.

It often takes a combination of meds and or treatments to bring a measure of relief for IC patients. Some doctors, apparently like yours, like to begin IC patients on one med at a time to see how that med works for that individual. Other doctors use a "shotgun" approach.....throw all the big meds known to help at once to try and bring relief as quickly as possible and then go back and evaluate what is helping and what isn't later. It's a matter of each doctor's preference. One thing you might want to ask your doctor about is Elmiron and whether it might be right for you. It's the only FDA-approved med specifically for IC. It works wonders for some and not for others and only by trying it will you know if it works for you. Especially considering you are also dealing with Crohn's, only a medical professional can tell you whether or not it is right for you to try. You might want to ask about it at your next appointment, however. The reason to ask about this now is it takes anywhere from 3-12 months before patients see the full benefits of it (it helps me a great deal, but took 9 mos before it really kicked in for me).

Since you have found the ICN, you surely have seen the detailed IC diet. It is far more than just cutting out a few fruits (all fruits are no-nos in the beginning except pears, blueberries and some can tolerate a little honeydew melon, banana or mild Gala apples) and acidic foods. No tomato also means no tomato products at all---no sauces, no juice, no salsa...not even ketchup. No acidic drinks means no coffee, no tea (including green tea and most herbal teas), no fruit juices except citric acid-free pure pear juice or blueberry juice, no soda & absolutely no alcohol. Especially when first diagnosed and trying to figure out your personal dietary triggers, the only thing you should be drinking (other than the 2 juices mentioned above) is bottled spring water (city tap water contains chlorine which can really irritate an IC bladder) and milk (IF you can tolerate dairy with IBD). Also, Dasani and a couple of other brands of bottled water add mineral paks to improve the taste. Those added minerals have the potential to irritate a wounded bladder and it is best to avoid these and stick with natural (nothing added) spring water. Following the diet also means no strong spices, no artificial sweeteners, no aged cheeses, no preservatives, no artificial colors, no artificial flavors, no nitrites/nitrates, no chocolate, no MSG, no caffeine, no soy or soy products like soy sauce, soy flour or tofu (very acidic), no fermented or smoked foods, no marinated foods, no mayonnaise (has vinegar), no salad dressings with vinegar or tomato, no mustard and nothing containing, ascorbic acid, sulfites, autolyzed yeast, meat tenderizer, vinegar, worcestershire sauce.........etc, etc, etc. You really have to read food labels carefully and cook most things from scratch to be sure no problem ingredients are included. It's difficult to give up so many favorites foods and drinks, but I assure you it is worth it to reduce your pain! You start out eating only foods from the usually ok column of the diet list. That gives your bladder a very soothing environment which will help the inflammation decrease. After a couple of months and once you start to feel better, you can add in new foods from the "may be ok" column. You need to do it one thing at a time so you can tell if your bladder tolerates the new food or not. If you don't see an increase in symptoms with a new food, you can add that food back into your diet. It takes awhile to go through the whole process, but only by doing so can you determine what foods your bladder will tolerate and what foods trigger bladder symptoms. Everyone is a little different in their reactions to foods, so everyone has to go through this process. It sounds hard, but I assure you it does get easier. Your diet is limited in the beginning, but will expand as you learn what is safe for you and what you must avoid. For the vast majority of ICers, what we eat has a huge impact on our symptoms and following the diet (and learning our own personal triggers) is well worth the effort. I understand how difficult it is to accept these diet limitations. I,too, was into fine dining and fine wines. It took me quite awhile to come to terms with it and accept the fact I had to follow this if I wanted to reduce my pain and other symptoms and reduce the risk of doing further damage to my bladder lining. It is an entire change of lifestyle, a pretty bitter pill to swallow. Try to think of it as temporary, not permanent. As you go through the discovery process you will surely find there are more foods you can tolerate than in the beginning and it gets quite a bit easier to handle.

In other tips, have you tried using heat? My heating pad is my best friend when I am flaring. Other people find cold helps them and use ice packs when the pain is bad. You might want to try both and see if either one helps you. If heat helps, you can use stick-on heating pads while working, riding in a car or traveling. Is sitting painful for you? Try sitting on a pillow. Special seat cushions designed for the needs of people with IC are also available. Does riding in a car with all that vibration from the road and the engine bother you? If so, try sitting on a memory foam pillow. It can help to absorb some of those irritating vibrations.

Hope I have given you a few helpful hints. I understand what you are going through right now. Please do remember that, though it may take some time, the vast majority of people with IC do find meds and treatments that help them and they can go on to live fairly normal and happy lives. And also remember.......remission CAN happen. I haven't reached it yet, but I am still working on it and maintain hope I will get there. Even though I am not in remission, I have found a combination of meds that helps me and, other than having to follow the diet and rest when flaring, I lead a pretty normal life. I travel and enjoy life. I've learned what foods I can tolerate and can now usually find something on a menu my bladder will tolerate so eating out is not impossible.

I sincerely hope you will quickly find relief........and then a very LONG (forever would be good) remission!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter