Insurance questions

disneykins

DIS Veteran
Anybody ever buy the insurance when booking a trip with points?

Plan 1 says they cover you for $5 a point--our Christmas trip is 650 points so thats 650 X $5 = $3250. The premium is 3250 X 5.15% = $167.38.

I know the points are worth more but with elderly family in ill health what else can you do?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tony

if they cancel at the last minute can you bank any of your points?

can you rent the reservation?

We have never done the insurance, but we did think about it a few years back when my DGM was very ill. We had guests going with us, so we decided to just bite the bullet and take our chances. We figured if we couldn't go, they would still be going. As it turned out, DGM passed away 2 weeks before our trip. If you are afraid there is a 50/50 chance that something might happen, then it might be worth the insurance to you.

You may also want to see if your own insurance company offers travel insurance/vacation insurance. Call them up and see what they'll offer you. You may get more coverage at a cheaper price!

I never bought the insurance. As I recall, there are some exclusions that seemed to make it extra hard to collect on. Two years ago I went to the airport for my trip to WDW, only to find that power was out to the entire Eastern US. It took two days to get everything up and running, and we would have had to go home the next day. MS put all our pts back into our regular account without any problem, even though we had no insurance. I did, however, have trveller's insurance for the tickets--and Am Ex refused our claim! They finally did pay for our room in a hotel while waiting to fly out, and they allowed us to rebook the tickets for a future trip, but the insurance wouldn't reimburse us for the $75 rebooking fee. I decided that the insurance was basically a rip-off, and I wouldn't get it again. :(

How many days to your trip? I think you have to purchase it before the "penalty period" which I assume is 30 days. If you would have to cancel, you could probably get more than $5 per point if you rent the points even as holding account points. Also, I'm not sure how the policy handles preexisting conditions. I would also consider your use year, which would affect how long you have to use the holding account points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter