Instead of Eagle Pines...

PKS44

DIS Veteran
I posted this idea over on the resorts board but maybe it is better for DVC...

As I refuse to whine, complain, wallow or moan about current and I believe temporary downturns at WDW, I dream of a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day! (whether they re-open Carousel of Progress or not.:D )

Since it is more likely they will build a new DVC before they build a new resort, I would like them to reconsider the theme of the next DVC. I was not that excited about a Florida inspired resort in the middle of Florida (Eagle Pines)...I see a Greek Island theme...I have jokingly named it the island of Mickeynos. Located on a body of water its bright white buildings create a labrynth of walkways highlighted by brightly colored trim and bouganvilla. Much like the real Mykynos (spelling?) or Santorini ...The windmill structure could have the thatched roof but with Mickey ears. (Or they could leave the Mickey theme out and still be really cool.) The pool could be like a Greek temple/Parthenon/ruins sort of thing. Maybe a slide down a tilted column reached after climbing up over the other "ruins." Greek food at the restaurant, a plaka/marketplace. Some have suggested Greek gods as names of the buildings. You could have names people know from the Hercules movie franchise-Philoctetes, Megara, Pegasus(no Hades, of course!)
The little balconies that all DVC villas have would be just like you've seen in Greek Island townhouses. I think this would be more exotic and unusual and a very popular vacation destination not yet tapped as a resort theme. Currently there is nothing like it anywhere in this hemisphere...including Vegas where Caeser's comes closest but not the Greek Island feeling I would be going for.. (If you've ever been there or seen an ad for Kool cigarettes you have seen what I am talking about.)
I have other Imagineer ideas for Pleasure Island, but that, I guess, is for another board.

What do you say DVC'ers? Which would you rather see? Disney's Isle of Mickeynos(or Greek Island Villas or whatever) or Eagle Pines? Or any idea of your own?

Paul

I think it's a wonderful concept!

Be sure to include a good Greek restaurant. The goes another saganaki. "Opa!"

Just so long as it isn't built on the side of a mountain/volcano like Santorini is, that walk down to the beach IS A REAL PAIN !!!LOL

IMHO , even Disney's imagineers are going to struggle to recreate the things that make the greek islands special, the sea views and mountainous scenery.

It's not a bad idea but given what they are trying to do for Eagle Pines I don't think a Greek theme would be suitable. With Universal putting up Portifino Bay I think it would look a little too much like disney copying their idea. It would be hard ( read expensive) for Disney to better Portifino Bay and , IMHO, Disney isn't in the habit of putting up "cheap copies", More likely they will go for a theme that doesn't so obviously clash.

From what I have seen, Portofino Bay is themed Italian. Greek Islands are nothing like that. The buildings are all white, sort of adobe in style. I agree that the color of the Mediterranean Sea cannot be duplicated, but neither can the Caribbean, but that did not prevent CBR from being very charming in its own way. The northwest also is famous for mountains and yet Wilderness Lodge is a stunning achievement without mountain views. I think a little village of white Greek-like houses on a beach could be quite compelling and unusual.

As for the cliff/volcano walk at Santorini- I can relate. On my honeymoon we took the Donkey ride up and my Donkey slipped and nearly threw me off into the cobble stones and stone walls.

YES! A greek island theme would be wonderful! It would also give a nod to all those who would love an island DVC getaway. :pinkbounc

Couple of years ago I e-mailed Disney that I thought it would be great if WDW had their own Visa or MC that had a Disney Dollars type rebate, similar to the GM Card giving 5% rebate toward new car purchase. About two months went by when I got a very legal-eze type response from Disney that stated they would not accept or consider any outside ideas. I think this had to do with the big stink in the courts over WWoS. So becarefull who you tell your idea to- which does sound much nicer then the "Florida" theme - they may throw it out because they don't want you coming after them with "it was my idea,pay me"., (which I'm certain you would never do).

They've talked about a Medetirannean (sp?) themed resort for years. Word is that it is planned for around the Seven Seas Lagoon -- maybe near the TTC.

I think the design of the Eagle Pines, while very Florida, is also very golf course/country club. I have a feeling the plan is to stress the golfing aspect of WDW with this new resort. I sure hope it gets back on track soon.

I would be happy to sign any form giving up any and all rights to this idea... and my other Pleasure Island idea as well...

They already have an Italian Mediterranean themed hotel---well not exactly they, but at Tokyo DisneySea the Mira Costa is Mediterranean/Italian...

Paul

I still want something on the Monrail - the monrail to Epcot has alot of space to put a hotel -

I'm pretty sure some of the folks on the Rumor Board here had links to pictures of this rumored resort. It's not exactly as you propose but is similar. Here's what I found on www.wdwplanner.com under their rumors.

Resort - a Venetian/Mediterranean Resort in the Magic Kingdom area could be built. This hotel was in Walt's original plans. It would be an ultra deluxe resort. Rumor has it that work will begin upon completion of the Animal Kingdom Lodge. More info on this:

I worked as Assistant Director on an in-house WDW production titled "Summer Update 1990." At the time we were shown a model for a resort to be built between the TTC and the Contemporary Resort. It was Mediterranean themed and looked like something you would find in the Greek isles--big, white, etc... Who knows what ever became of this.

At the same time we also saw the original model for the Boardwalk. It looked like Coney Island, with roller coasters, mechanical horse races, nightclubs, etc... We also saw plans for a second MGM, but it Tokyo, not Paris. I remember one of the rides (a conceptual painting I saw) was roller coaster through a mountain with a Godzilla theme. - submitted by J Pace, Orlando, Fl. 1/01

I still prefer Eagle pines but if they put up a Greek Style hotel they should include a Diner as a restaurant and a Gyro and Souvlaki stand :)

What PI idea?

PKS44....you have a great imagineering mind! I can almost visualize what you described....sounds awesome! Throw in a little Hercules theming and you're there! I know it would be challenging to pull off the effect, but after all that is what Disney is so awesome at.

I agree that the concept of a Florida style resort or DVC home doesn't appeal as much to me. That is one of the reasons we love VWL and BWV areas so much....you have a hard time believing you are in Florida sometimes! (unless it's 95 degrees out ;) ).

The concept of VEP looks wonderful and since I'm a golfer it will probably fit into my future plans well. It would be great if DVC continues to grow and the options expand.

I would like them to hold off on any new resorts in Disney. I think they have enough vacation clubs on property. More will just devalue the rest. I would like off property resorts, but I don't see that happening.

:)

I think you need to submit this thread as part of an application for imagineer. :)

Since we're talking about changing Eagle Pines I'll put in my two cents. I think that the resort should have a true golf theme, the same way the Y&B really depict their themes. Maybe the architecture should resemble the architecture of the clubhouse at ST. Andrews.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter