**Inspired by ME** opinions on acessibility(sp)

mhopset

Seth's Dad
I just read a post on the DEBATE BOARD about pool hopping, and it made me think of something.

I have noticed different things about accessibility. maybe because I look for it:D. For instance, You have a handicap spot for parking and there is nothing in front of it but a curb. The ramp is about 100' from your space.

Pool Hopping at WDW. If they didn't want us to pool hop then put in "0" entry at every resort.

For God's sake in a clothing store put the racks wide enough for me to get through, because if that rack ends up on the floor Oh well guesss you have to pick it up.

Doors that swing outwards rather than inwards. (need i say more)

Anyone have anything else?

Just thought this would be neat to do rather than the usual wheelchair, ECV questions.

Tony

Good points. I agree with all of them - except maybe the doors that open outward, rather than inwards.unless they have doors that slide out of the way automatically, the doors will open outwards going in or our (maybe I didn't get it and you meant the doors should all be the sliding type that never hit you going ot coming).

I'll add a couple more:
Automatic doors that don't stay open long enough to get in.
Automatic doors where the "open" button is in the path of where the door will be when it opens.
Doors with a high threshold.

As far as doors that open outward, in the case of attractions, this is a crowd control mechanism. It is nearly impossible to close inward-opening doors behind a group of guests. I'm not sure if it makes one bit of difference in any other situation, though.

One of my petpeeves is people that park in Handi spots, put the blinkers on and leave someone in the car. Like this makes it alright. The person in the passenger seat doesn't move the car for you, I still have to sit and wait for the spot!

Or the people that rush the elevator as soon as the doors open, how about letting us out first??

Can't forget about the curb cutouts on one side of the street and not the other.
Or a favorite of mine, here in NYC not all bus drivers know how to work the wheelchair lift on the bus.

Accessibility while shopping: I would say approx. 70% of the stores at our local mall have moderate accessibility to w/c's.
My kids and dh have been known to move racks so I can get where I want to go. I have also asked to see the manager when stores are completely inaccessible. Sometimes salespeople will ask if I need help or if they can get something for me if the store is difficult to maneuver. I do make a point of thanking store personell if their store is accessible. They appreciate the comments. I have also told managers that they have lost my business if their store is inaccessible. Sometimes they care, sometimes they are oblivious to my point.

Personally I don't mind who is parking in the handi spaces as long as they have DP placard or plates. However I do become quite vocal to people who do not have the necessary designation or park in the hash marks..
Elevators.. good lord almighty.. I think they should teach Elevator etiquette in High School. I have no idea why people stand directly in front of the elevator door when it opens.. then rush to get on before anyone can get out.. You would think their Mama would have taught them better.;)

I feel it is important to make accessibility issues known to people in charge, people who can make changes. I have spoken to many hotel and business managers regarding accessibilty issues.
Once they know how accessibility issues affect their clients and customers, they often will try to make necessary changes. Not always.. but at least they are aware.
I kill them with kindness, a smile and knowledge... and Sometimes it works.

Racks that are too close together bug me. Sales people will tell me they will get me anything I want but how do I know exactly what I want if I can't get there to see it. It's as if we don't have the right to browse but must know precisely what we are going to purchase and they will get it for us. Yuck.

Doors need to go both ways not just out or in. And they need to be lighter. HAve you ever tried to get through some of the doors to the bathroom at AK. They are really heavy.

Announcements need to be visual as well as sound. Ever tried to get an order when you can't understand speech. Like Fuddruckers, they ask your name and call when your order is ready. Or waiting for a table at a restaurant, they call your name and you don't hear it so they give to someone else. Doesn't matter if you tell them you can't hear. They still call your name. Yuck. Even worse if they use an intercom. Then you have no visual cues. At least with a person if you stay close enough you may be able to lipread them.

And how do you get people to look at you when speaking? No matter how much I explain they still turn away while speaking or try to take to my back. I don't have eyes in the back of my head. I know someone is talking but by the time I turn to look they are done and get irritated when I ask for them to repeat.

Airports are terrible because all announcements are over an intercom. So are airplanes and buses. Am I fustrated. Yep. It drives me nuts. Only place I really am understood is at my ITP. They are used to working with hard of hearing. The director is hard of hearing. :) Her hearing is worse than mine.

"Announcements need to be visual as well as sound. Ever tried to get an order when you can't understand speech. Like Fuddruckers, they ask your name and call when your order is ready. "

We just ate at Fuddruckersover the weekend. Not only did they call our name, but we were given one of those square devices that lights up when your order is ready. Many restaurants in our area use the same or similar devices when you are waiting fora table.

The other day I wentto Motor Vehicles to find out how to renew my handicapped hanging tag which expires at the end of this month. I had checked the web page, but it did not say. When I called, the lady really did not know. Anyway I got a helpful lady who said I needed to bring in my current hanging tag. I explained to her that I was parked in a handicapped spot using my hanging tag. She assured me I would not get a ticket. Good thing she was right!! And I did get the new tag good now for four years.

This made me laugh, I really have another to add, dw handicapped accessible buses with drivers pived off to have to operate them.

Ah you have met those drivers too. And having to deal with power wheelchair user who is also hard of hearing really drives them bonkers.

Parking lots that do not have Van accessible spaces, stores crowded with so much mechandise I can't get through, Those so "artsy" display tables that have long tableclothes draped for several feet and catch on my w/c, merchandise displayed so high there is no way to see it let alone get it down, ATM/Charge machines at the checkout that are mounted so high I can't see/use them.
Oh well that's enough for now. Can you tell I've started Xmas shopping?

Originally posted by JudithM
The other day I wentto Motor Vehicles to find out how to renew my handicapped hanging tag which expires at the end of this month. I had checked the web page, but it did not say. When I called, the lady really did not know. Anyway I got a helpful lady who said I needed to bring in my current hanging tag. I explained to her that I was parked in a handicapped spot using my hanging tag. She assured me I would not get a ticket. Good thing she was right!! And I did get the new tag good now for four years.

I have a pondering for you all. What is with those people who drive down the road with the handicap hangtag hanging on their rearview mirror? LOL--I don't think I need to know you're handicapped when you're driving!

I've briefly spent time in a wheelchair. It has made me more aware of how inconsiderate people can be and I make sure my store is accessible. There's nothing worse than trying to wheel your chair up a ramp and some able bodied youths come down it at you in a group, not moving to let you through. That probably got me the most because of the asthma and severe wrist problems--not good things when you're in a self powered chair.

Suzanne

Suzanne, in the information I received with my hanging tag, it specifically says something about not driving with the tag hanging from the mirror.

I had a discussion with a teacher today. She has been in a wheelchair for a couple of school years. She is on the school's social committee. When the committee was discussing the upcoming holiday party in December, some members thought it would be wonderufl if the party was held at such & such place because they have a room downstairs that would accommodate many people. She said she didn't say anything, but she knows (& so do I) that this room is not very accessible for wheelchairs or people who cannot.should not do stairs. Never a dull moment!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter