Insects,Spiders and other advice please

reflex2806

Earning My Ears
Hi,
For our trip to Orlando with inquisitive DS's 8&6 is there any advice we should give them about the native animals and insect life?
Many thanks,

We used to live in Florida and my kids really loved the lizards! They are fun to watch and they won't hurt you, HOWEVER, if you pick a lizard up by the tail you will probably be left holding the tail! Don't worry if this happens, the little guys can grow new tails if they need to! We are also always on the lookout for frogs, VERY cute! Most snakes do not bite, but I would not pick one up! If you are lucky you may see alligators, armidillos, opposums, or even raccoons! Again, don't get too close but they are fun to watch. The worst bugs are mosquitoes, take precautions not to get bitten. Most other bugs just bug you but don't bite. We enjoy all of the plants and natural wildlife at Disney almost as much the rides and attractions!!!

Oh, one more thing. Every spider contains venome, but most do not have enough to hurt you. My husband got a pretty bad bite on his leg last summer which the doctor thought was probably a spider bite. He required antibiotics! However, nothing is more beautiful than a big, intricate spider web. Hope you get to see one!

Two words : Fire Ants

Sat in the grass at Poly to watch water parade = HUGE welts on my inner thighs where they crawled up my shorts and bit me.

Didn't know what got me but it all of a sudden became obvoius from the immediate burning it wasn't a mosquito (I'm from Jersey)

Went to hotel gift shop in search of relief and all they had to offer was bactine - not much help...

after explaining to CM what happened she said "You never sit in the grass in Florida" - who knew?

spent the rest of the trip CONSTANTLY scatching between my legs, which is unpleasant enough when your alone - and as you can imagine is much less pleasant in a croweded theme park.

I was an adult when this happened - and was lucky enough to get only two bites. I wouldn't want a child to have to suffer through that. Beware of the grass.

Originally posted by laceemouse
Oh, one more thing. Every spider contains venome, but most do not have enough to hurt you. My husband got a pretty bad bite on his leg last summer which the doctor thought was probably a spider bite. He required antibiotics! However, nothing is more beautiful than a big, intricate spider web. Hope you get to see one!

The brown recluse spider, while not necessarily fatal, delivers a potent bite that causes localized tissue destruction. Can be painful, can make you ill, and depending on the amount of venom it injects, can cause a LOT of damage!

Best advice - leave the spiders alone!

There are a number of venomous snakes in Florida to include water moccassins, coral snakes and rattle snakes. They are present in Disney World.

Best advice - leave the snakes alone!

:(

Think i may just get the boys to take the last piece of advice!
Thanks to everybody for there advice

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter