• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm really worried...

DVC is focusing on expansion and sales for future members and Resorts is focusing on their guests.

I spent over 25 years in retail management and witnessed this philosophy many times first hand. Whenever the focus moves away from keeping the current customer happy, the business struggles. But, when you have happy and satisfied customers and treat them to the "WOW" factor with each and every opportunity, then they become your best advertisement and those who are not customers wish to become so. Unfortunately most businesses continue to focus on the wrong things. I only hope Disney does not lose sight.

We are very new at all of this but this is how I see it.

DVC was around for several years and grew slowly. They offered several perks and programs to add to the membership.

For several years Disney saw DVC as a way to use up left over real estate, BCV, BWV, VWL, SSR, AKV, and build a customer base who would mostly visit during slow season as indicated by the point charts.

As time went on, sales increased and SSR was very successful. Disney realized that they had a new unexpected revenue stream. Additional marketing was approved and additional sites selected for additional resorts at WDW and else where.

As a marketing tool, upgrade CRO guests to DVC properties knowing that x out of x will become members. Since membership is on the increase, trim back benefits and perks, and increase fees. Open sales offices off Disney property to attract new members.

Bottom line is that Disney spends a lot of money and has some of the best people in the business planning their future. These things don't just happen by chance, they happen by design. If your room isn't clean when you check in, it's because someone in Disney management made a conscience decision to allow it to happen.

Add us to the list of unhappy DVC'ers as well. :(

We have been unhappy since the last member cruise last October. Just getting over that "wound" as we call it around here, we decided in the last month to add on at AKL because it's a location that we would like to stay in and felt that the 11 month booking window would be needed.

It has been a nightmare, almost from the word go!

The developer points have been more than a thorn in my side trying to use them for when we want to travel.

To make matters worse, for me, I received a phone call from Jon Garcia, Member Services Manager, a week ago Tuesday. I wasn't home at the time, so he left me a message saying that he wanted to discuss a BAD experience I had two days in a row with Member Services. I returned his call within 3 hours and as of this moment, I am still waiting for a return call, even though I have repeated my return call to him. I've spoken to my guide, who tells me that he is suppose to call me -- for what, I'm not exactly sure -- but the fact of the matter is that right now, my feelings about DVC MS Management are very negative and there is nothing much that he could do or say to make me feel differently.

In fact, DH and I were just looking at some of our contracts to see which is going to be the first we list with the Time Share Store.

Sadly, it seems that DVC has forgotten to feed the birds in their hands. :sad2:

If I don't see some immediate improvement with DVC management I will be right there selling everything except HHI. We will keep it simply for the booking advantage and the fact we truly enjoy it over other HHI locations.

This will probably be the only contracts we end up keeping because our family enjoys our time at HH. It will only be because of that the we stick with DVC at all unless we find something we like just as much or even more.

We are also concerned about the nickel and diming which seems to be happening and the drastic decline in maintenance and housekeeping. I'm not sure I want to keep a timeshare which is letting it's properties decline just 15 years into the deal. Why would I want to spend money to add on another 15 years to my OKW contract, when the resort is already starting to show the lack of upkeep? If it continues on the current trend, it's gonna look like a dump in 2057.

I spent over 25 years in retail management and witnessed this philosophy many times first hand. Whenever the focus moves away from keeping the current customer happy, the business struggles. But, when you have happy and satisfied customers and treat them to the "WOW" factor with each and every opportunity, then they become your best advertisement and those who are not customers wish to become so. Unfortunately most businesses continue to focus on the wrong things. I only hope Disney does not lose sight.

:thumbsup2 Outstanding point! One of the biggest selling points for me when we bought was that I read several industry articles stating that DVC had the highest member satisfaction rate in the industry--by leaps and bounds. It was something like 92%--unheard of in the timeshare industry. Wonder what it is today....:confused:

:thumbsup2 Outstanding point! One of the biggest selling points for me when we bought was that I read several industry articles stating that DVC had the highest member satisfaction rate in the industry--by leaps and bounds. It was something like 92%--unheard of in the timeshare industry. Wonder what it is today....:confused:

I'm sure it's way out there still with all the new members who got Double developer points (and they haven't gotten to use them yet). I got lemonade when I bought my first points. Salt water taffy when I bought my fourth set of points.

You hit the nail on the head. Customer service is the key to sucess. To often a very successful business trys to duplicate itself and in reality dilutes the quality by spreading out the key people that made that success happen. They try to grow, too much. Then all too soon, they bring in people that are not in tune with the needs of their customers. And customer service, becomes lack of customer service. I find it ironic, that when a company has a customer service department, it is usually a response to poor customer service in other areas of the company. It's like they want to fix a problem a certain percentage of the time and get away with sub-par service when they can. A lot of you have been DVC owners a lot longer than I have, so you have more insight into when it was a more exclusive ticket to stay in a DVC resort.
It has been a dream for us to own at DVC and we finally made it a reality. We were not looking at it as exclusive resort, but more of a convienient option. We are really happy so far with our ownership and will probably do an add on in the near future. We just won't buy mor than we can use.

:thumbsup2 Outstanding point! One of the biggest selling points for me when we bought was that I read several industry articles stating that DVC had the highest member satisfaction rate in the industry--by leaps and bounds. ....

Before I bought I did a google search and came upon these boards. After reading a while, DH asked me if I had read of anyone that was unhappy. Four years ago that was 'NO'. (Well other then the reaaaalllly long hallways!) If we were reading the boards today we might not have purchased.

Before I bought I did a google search and came upon these boards. After reading a while, DH asked me if I had read of anyone that was unhappy. Four years ago that was 'NO'. (Well other then the reaaaalllly long hallways!) If we were reading the boards today we might not have purchased.

I agree Lisa,

I did a search also and found the DIS. I read alot and really up until 2 years ago is when the grumblings began about DVC customer service, maintenance issues and such. Before then it was pretty solid.

My first indication that something was amiss, is when the pool temps changed. Pools are a basic amenity, even in the winter months. I felt that whole issue was dealt with poorly by DVC and WDW as a whole.

Then the Member Cruise 2006. What a difference a year makes!! Im with cgcw, that is a wound. I was so disappointed that I have completely sworn off Member Events that cost a fee. I still cannot believe that a cruise that only went to Castaway Cay twice, and we couldnt debark on our 2nd stop until 11am. That was by design, and I cannot believe DVC was that callous to keep us on the ship to make sure we attended their sales show. There was plenty else that went on too.

AKV sales. They bent the current members over by selling to us first with the tapestry deal and an either/or incentive. A few months later they open to the public with better incentives (Double Developer Points) and earlier UY's.
The tapestry mailing was a joke, and no one home to answer any of our questions.

They changed the way Dev. Points are accounted for and give ZERO! training to MS castmembers. The points have more restrictions and are harder to use that I just wanted to pitch a tent instead.

Now all this simplicity and magic.:rolleyes1

Right now, I am extremely disappointed in DVC. They are treating us like we are on Free Dining with all the restrictions and loss of use. We pay dearly for our points and I am not asking for anything free, and dont expect to be treated that way. We could take some hellified vacations for what we put into DVC each year, but our goals were long term. Im ready to return to the short term vacation plan without the hassle.

If I were looking to buy today, I would buy the smallest contract I could find and take a wait and see approach.

This is from 2001 but I think it still applies, I have seen no real improvement from Disney on any of these points

Where has the magic gone?
By ROBERT TRIGAUX
© St. Petersburg Times, published July 8, 2001

Facing drops in park attendance, a failed Web business, lawsuits and labor problems, among others, Disney has fallen from its perch on top of the entertainment industry.

To: Walt Disney

Re: What's a kingdom without magic?

Walt, I've resisted writing you all those years when things looked bleak at your Walt Disney Co. But now there's no one left to turn to. I know you're in no position to respond to this letter. In fact, I'm not even sure where to send it!

When I try to squeak my mind these days, CEO Michael Eisner just pats my ears and says: "Mickey, you're 72. Go nibble some soft cheese!" He won't even share the keys to the executive washroom with me.

I just feel I had to write somebody.

Walt, there's little magic left in my wand. I haven't whistled while I worked in years. It's tougher than ever for this old mouse to stand tall as the great Disney symbol when so many new things we try turn to lead.

The Magic Kingdom's sprung so many leaks, I'm not sure where to begin. Well, here goes:

Our "sure-hit" summer movie blockbuster -- Pearl Harbor -- did not wow the critics and probably won't reach our profit expectations. And the ABC TV network -- we own that now, Walt -- is suffering from declining ad sales from a lack of prime-time hits.

We just opened a brand new theme park right next to good ol' Disneyland in Anaheim. But this one ... I don't know. We call it California Adventure. It's only two-thirds the size of Disneyland and has just 22 attractions, compared with 60 at Disneyland. For the same $43 entrance fee, it's a big yawn with what amounts to a big plug for Mondavi wines sitting in the middle of it. (They even serve ... alcohol!)

And between you and me, Walt, that Animal Kingdom theme park in Orlando isn't bowling over the tourists, either. Now we've started heavy discounting to keep the crowds coming.

I hesitate to tell you this, Walt, but we lost money last quarter! More than half a billion dollars lost from write-downs of our online business and shuttering nearly 70 of our weakest-selling Disney stores around the country.

Can you believe we're firing people? We're nearly done cutting 4,000 jobs to trim expenses. The last time we felt such a big pinch was way back in 1974.

We've got a terrible, ongoing brain drain of top creative talent and executives who are leaving our company. (Do you think it's mouse breath?)

Our stock is under $28 a share -- pretty much sitting where it was two years ago. And Warren Buffett -- the high priest of stock investors -- gave us the heave-ho when he slashed his stake of 20-million shares by 80 percent early this year. Now analysts like Richard Simon at Goldman Sachs are downgrading Disney and lowering fiscal 2002 earnings estimates, citing a continuing decline in ad revenue from our television networks.

Disney is firing on one cylinder, says another analyst, Scott Davis at First Union.

There's more, Walt. So much more. But I'm not the spry mouse of old. Can't even give Minnie a good chase anymore. Give me a moment to catch my breath.

Before I go on, Walt, let me say it's not all bad. You'd never recognize your own company, that's for sure. We're big, Walt, even colossal with 117,000 employees. From revenues of $1.65-billion back in 1984, we're now topping $25-billion annually. Our market value is $57-billion.

That Eisner. Notoriously tightfisted, but grew up affluent in a Park Avenue apartment in Manhattan. Sure is full of himself. Filled Disney's board with directors who are his buddies. Gets paid megabucks by that same board, too.

Walt, you'd be spinning if I told you how much. (During the last five years, Eisner's made $737-million.)

Still, running Disney is no picnic. So big. So much to live up to. Always under pressure to make the next great family movie, the next great theme park, the next great prime time TV show or the next great cruise ship, the next great Broadway show to top The Lion King. (Come to think of it, our takeover of Manhattan's Times Square was one Eisner initiative that showed your old boldness and imagination.)

And Walt, the entertainment competition! AOL Time Warner is a behemoth. Vivendi Universal, Viacom, Sony -- even a frighteningly powerful business called Microsoft (that's a whole different memo, Walt) -- they're all like sharks waiting for one another to bleed!

But they still respect Disney. I remember back in 1994 when Warner Brothers wanted to release a new movie version of the story Thumbelina. Warner did a test screening and the response was flat. On a whim, Warner stripped its own name off and put Disney's atop the same movie clip. The test audience loved it.

Walt, that's clout.

We still have some of it. But we're burning through our reputation with too many bonehead actions, like these:

We've tried to become an entertainment powerhouse on something called the Internet -- Walt, you wouldn't believe how it works -- but we've pretty much screwed it all up. We got in late and spent a fortune trying to build a Web portal called Go.com. But it was a dud.

Here's one that really burns me. A Los Angeles Superior Court judge recently scolded us for failing to turn over a list of people who claim to have suffered brain injuries after riding on Disneyland attractions. We've gone nuts trying to make rides that make people feel like they're in a blender. Now there are new concerns over high-speed roller coasters. Will this all come back to haunt us with class-action injury lawsuits?

We've got labor complaints aplenty, Walt! Just Friday, after months of bumpy negotiations, lower-wage union workers -- including some who dress up as me and Goofy, Pluto, Cinderella, Minnie and Donald -- finally endorsed a new wage agreement covering 25,000 of our 55,000 employees at Disney World. Starting minimum wage would increase to $6.50 an hour this year, up 15 cents. And workers in the highest labor grade at Disney World could earn $18.88 an hour.

Even the Baptists are after us, Walt! Conservative groups like the Southern Baptist Convention want the company to change its policy on gays.

I'm so ashamed, Walt. We're toying with gambling by backing a pay-to-play online game venture. Our execs pooh-pooh my concerns. They say unlike actual gambling, where the payout is determined by chance or a "contingent event" such as a horse race or a pro sports contest, these Internet games involve pure skill or knowledge. I'm not sure people will see the difference.

We had great nationwide expansion plans for a souped-up video arcade in downtown Chicago called DisneyQuest. Instead, we will close its doors in September after a two-year run. Why? It failed to live up to our financial expectations. Chicago was our first location outside Orlando for our "indoor interactive entertainment venue."

This one is so embarrassing, Walt. A circuit judge last fall upheld a $240-million verdict against us for stealing the idea for an Orlando sports complex from two businessmen. Our attorneys are appealing, but we still expect to discuss a possible settlement this summer with All Pro Sports Camps Inc. The $240-million blow is one of the largest jury verdicts in our history.

Wages aren't the only employee beef. After months of negotiations, Disney World workers who play important characters such as me recently won an important concession: clean undergarments. Now workers will be assigned individual undergarments they can take home each night to clean instead of relying on our apparently less-than-thorough launderers.

Now don't get upset, Walt. You did your part -- magnificently -- to make your company an American gem. Now we're paying the price of such high expectations of Disney by tourists, moviegoers, TV viewers and Wall Street investors.

If you could respond to my letter, Walt, I think I'd know what advice you'd offer. I well remember one of your favorite lines -- one so appropriate for our company today.

Just when everybody's saying how great you are, that's when you're most vulnerable.

You got that right, old buddy.

Well, Walt, thanks for listening. You've helped this old mouse more than you know. It's time to stop my whining, fix that magic wand and get back to the job of making Disney a worldwide name to remember.

I'll write again, Walt. Right now, it's off to work I go.

This is no Mickey Mouse job, you know:sad1:

You guys really give me reason to pause and think. I have been wondering about our DVC purchases in the long term as well. DH is not a Disney nut and maybe we shouldn't have purchased so much. For the time being we are good, but opinions such as Sammie's, who knows very well the workings of Disney Resorts and DVC, makes me question the future.

I agree! My husband and I are in agreement if we add on it will be Vero or HHI! We like beach and it works for us.

I sent an e-mail to Jim today. :confused3 Who knows...if he hears from enough upset members, it might make a dent.

I think that there should be a requirement for DVC President...you have to have been a DVC owner for a certain number of years. There is nothing like having customer-level experience to know what the strengths and weaknesses in customer service are.

I'm a newbie, but am reading about the "old days" with much interest and some concern. I'm going to four different DVC's in two weeks and am a little afraid to see the condition of the rooms! Cleanliness and upkeep mean a whole lot more to me than our "perks".
Speaking of perks, did any of you long term members receive an invitation in the snail mail to take a perks survey?
I received it a few days ago and went on line and responded. It was worded so that nothing could really be reported by us that would signal concern.
Nothing about any of the changes or upkeep and housekeeping. Really seemed a survey to decide what other cuts they can get away with. Annual passes, reduced dining, shopping discounts, etc.

Speaking of perks, did any of you long term members receive an invitation in the snail mail to take a perks survey?

I just took that survey today. Luckily I got to to put three major concerns on the first question (housekeeping/maintenance, decrease in benefits/flexibility, and MS training/computer issues)

I also got the survey, but nowhere did it address condition of villas,etc., so at the end, where the survey asked for input on what should be added, I wrote that opinions should be asked regarding the upkeep and condition of the DVC resorts.
I wonder if TPTB actually read these replies.:confused3

Sorry to hear about all the disappointment. I'd be unhappy with dirty and/or rude, but the other stuff for us is truly just icing. We don't spend that much time at the resort...and when we do, we are happy with being in the middle of the action (BWV) will a full kitchen and a balcony, for lots less $$ than a deluxe resort (which we could never afford).

We're using somewhere in the neighborhood of 230 points for our upcoming F&W trip, and the MF on those points this year was about $1150 (I rounded up to $5/point). 10 days in a one-bedroom for $1150? We'll be hanging on to our points until the walls start crumbling....in fact we just bought more BWV points.

I DO understand where folks are coming from, and if management isn't doing the best for us that they can, they should get that feedback loud and clear, but we still get our magic moments in the parks (like the exec who gave us his PFTS tickets last year when he heard we weren't planning on going due to finances) and that's good enough for us (oh, and the discounts on APs are a perk we would definitely miss if that went away).

I too recieved the survey just yesterday, and I have to agree with the previous posters, it seems it was designed to further reduce any discounts. My big problem is I forget about most of them. I know they give you the perks book but I dont drag it around with me so I forget what resturant has what discount and for what time of day. The only perks I use on a regular basis is the AP renewal and WoD. My favorite perk now has a $95 fee (being able to book WDW non DVC on points.)The only thing for sure is DVC has changed alot since '99 when we joined, and I'm sad to say not necessaily all for the better. (JMHO):flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter