• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I'm really worried...

I would say your concerns are the same that many of us that have gone for years have, including myself and Lifebabe to name two.

If I don't see some immediate improvement with DVC management I will be right there selling everything except HHI. We will keep it simply for the booking advantage and the fact we truly enjoy it over other HHI locations.

Unless things with DVC begin to change, I won't however continue to use DVC for trips to WDW. I can get treated better at Disney resorts than DVC and I will just book AP rates and FL rates and get treated like they appreicate my business.

We don't use extra magic hours much anymore, so I am also looking into more off property housing. I can rent a really nice house, with private pool, (no pool hopping allowed) for less than my annual dues. With the changes to the DDP we will be eating more meals off property anyway and we will throw in some trips to other locations such as Sea World.

I keep reading people complaining about the changes to the DDP, but I don't know what those changes are. Can you please enlighten me?

Thanks!

I keep reading people complaining about the changes to the DDP, but I don't know what those changes are. Can you please enlighten me?

Thanks!
Starting 1/1/2008, DDP will no longer include an appetizer with the TS meal, and more importantly, the 18% gratuity will no longer be included. We will pay tips out of our own pocket from now on. The loss of the tip alone is effectively a price increase of $9-10 per day for each adult DDP participant.

[ETA: Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm looking forward to losing DDP. I'm pretty tired of the standardized menus and there are a lot of really good restaurants offsite. We always have a car, but even if you don't, you can get a pretty good cab ride for $9-10 per adult.]

[ETA: Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm looking forward to losing DDP. I'm pretty tired of the standardized menus and there are a lot of really good restaurants offsite. We always have a car, but even if you don't, you can get a pretty good cab ride for $9-10 per adult.]

That was my thought as well with DDP. Maybe now they will "unstandardize" some of the menus - or maybe I'm hoping too much.

Deb - I understand your frustration. I am taking a wait and see approach to see how/if the members are listened to regarding these changes AND the lack of service/housekeeping issues that are cropping up as the resorts age.

Interesting to hear on NPR today that many experts believe we are heading for a recession with the new job figures. Maybe this would have an impact since it would crimp disposable income? sigh

Sending you :goodvibes and pixiedust: I know there have been days lately where I wish I wasn't so well informed!:upsidedow

Starting 1/1/2008, DDP will no longer include an appetizer with the TS meal, and more importantly, the 18% gratuity will no longer be included. We will pay tips out of our own pocket from now on. The loss of the tip alone is effectively a price increase of $9-10 per day for each adult DDP participant.

From your keyboard to WDW dinings ear! I am all for the "standardized" menus going the way of the DoDo!

...We'll be hanging on to our points until the walls start crumbling....in fact we just bought more BWV points.....

I think I already see the walls crumbling, though. Put three contracts on the market today. One more will go in Jan after Bill runs the marathon and we'll keep our master contract until we decide that needs to go, too.

Oh Deb,
I have been listening to your advice for years. Between you and Sammie and so many others, I have learned the nuances of working my DVC and WDW. I think the neighborhood would be much less without you.
But I really feel what you are saying. When we bought in 10 years ago, it was all about us. It was about joining an exclusive group of people who recognized their commitment to Disney, who were willing to invest their future vacation dollars.
In return for our faith, they would give us money off of our park tickets, let us rent things cheaper and give us discounts in their stores. But hey, we mattered.
And we didn't have to pretend that we weren't DVC so that CM's weren't afraid of us. We were the most loyal customers, not the ones looking for alledged favors, or screaming in the lobby...
Now they build resorts that double our numbers with each resort. They sell units to people who use their holdings as a money making enterprise rather than a personal vacation opportunity. And the perks get thinner and thinner.
The customer satisfaction surveys happen over and over, but it seems like no one cares what we say. It is so much more than replace the toaster or even the trash in the halls. We feel like we matter less and less.
Time takes its toll, and the resorts get older and the fees go up, and our kids have grown and we find ourselves at a cross roads. I know that is where I am. As dear as Disney is to me, the more passe I feel, the less I feel like hanging around to see the actualization of the law of diminishing returns...
Deb, I wish you luck in your decision, and appreciate your wise advice over the years and wish you happiness wherever your choices lead you.... with much gratitude.

Thanks for your comments, Boardwalker. We're going to hang onto that master contract for a while we think because we still like to head to Disney. But instead of twice a year, we'll only go once or every other year and bank and borrow (if DVC still allows that in the future). We're going to pass on the extra 15 years when they send out the final letters.

For any new members, good luck with your purchases and enjoy your trips.

Hi, Deb, sorry you had to go through what must have been a really difficult decision. But, I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for a couple of things. Like Boardwalker, I appreciate the knowledge that you (and other experienced Dis'ers) have imparted on the boards over time. But also, to thank you for the sacrifice you are making. If enough members vote with their feet as you are doing, then perhaps that will be enough of a message for TPTB to start paying attention to the issues that members really care about. I only hold one small contract, and am not prepared to sell it at this time. So, as someone who is continuing to hold a contract, I thank you for what you are doing to help make membership better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter