Iger's return getting extended?

Iger is definitely not leaving soon with him just firing two high levels executives on his staff. Looks to me like he plans to stick around a few more years to try and turn this mess around.
He better call in Yen Sid for some help. Movies ain't exactly booming, and now park attendance is softening.

You will never convince the Pixie Dusters on here of that though. They are still convinced that Elemental has great legs is going to end up making money, even though the calculations are pretty cut and dry that it will be a massive financial loss for Disney / Pixar.

You will never convince the Pixie Dusters on here of that though. They are still convinced that Elemental has great legs is going to end up making money, even though the calculations are pretty cut and dry that it will be a massive financial loss for Disney / Pixar.
All of Disney's problems can be laid at Eigers feet. Chapek's types are ho hum and reduce magic and dont make anything better, but they dont set the house on fire. Iger set the house on fire with his decisions. Everything everyone hates can be laid at Igers feet. Genie Plus, park reservations, movie decisions, IP push in the park, Disney Plus, Fox Acquisition. What problem can actually be laid at Chapeks feet? Reedy Creek? That was due to hires Iger made threatening Chapek, and they ended up arguably following through with the threat after he bent the knee. Which is a great lesson to not negotiate with those types.

Iger is definitely not leaving soon with him just firing two high levels executives on his staff. Looks to me like he plans to stick around a few more years to try and turn this mess around.
Nobody cares about the CDO, nobody looks at that position as being a driver of a companies success. The loss of a CFO who literally ran a coup to get you back in should raise some eyebrows for anybody.

All of Disney's problems can be laid at Eigers feet. Chapek's types are ho hum and reduce magic and dont make anything better, but they dont set the house on fire. Iger set the house on fire with his decisions. Everything everyone hates can be laid at Igers feet. Genie Plus, park reservations, movie decisions, IP push in the park, Disney Plus, Fox Acquisition. What problem can actually be laid at Chapeks feet? Reedy Creek? That was due to hires Iger made threatening Chapek, and they ended up arguably following through with the threat after he bent the knee. Which is a great lesson to not negotiate with those types.

Nobody cares about the CDO, nobody looks at that position as being a driver of a companies success. The loss of a CFO who literally ran a coup to get you back in should raise some eyebrows for anybody.
Agreed that most of the blame Chapek got was on items that Iger set in motion. Iger kept his office at Disney the whole time, so was he ever fully gone? Disagree on the CDO, as she was involved with tons of initiatives in the parks and with movies and streaming. Part of the downfall lately is the perception that Disney has abandoned the moderate families and caved to what the SJWs want.

The Desantis fight was just stupid, no reason to engage in that war of words. Go see the man in private and work out a compromise that works for everyone. There is nothing to gain from engaging in a political battle in the public eye!

Last edited:
I don't think DeSantis ever had any interest in working out a compromise (Or having a private meeting, to be honest). That's been part of the entire problem.
This is literally a challenge to the states sovereignty now that Disney has pulled the HOA covenants can grant you permanent governmental powers stunt. (including the right to Nuclear Power Plants and to build international airports) He cant really back down now.

The new district was a compromise path. If Disney had just accepted it, they would have gotten basically everything they already had for the most part. They could have gotten friendly people on the board within 5 years no problem.

He also legally speaking didnt do anything to Disney. He went after the Reedy Creek Improvement District. Which is a legally distinct entity that everyone knew Disney had an inappropriate relationship with. And he only got the votes to do that because Disney formally announced they would stop giving money to the current majority legislatures (big companies bribe both parties as a matter of course) and become fully partisan. They publicly announced their intent to destroy the party in power who had buttered their bread for decades. And in response they werent punished but simply stopped getting inappropriate benefits.

He can also accelerate on Disney further by challenging the Reedy creek bonds and hasnt pushed that button yet. That would put them a few further billion in debt. There is enough slam dunk evidence of commingling (like Disney's chief counsel also handling legal issues for Reedy Creek that directly tied to deals Reedy Creek had with Disney) that he could do that. He isnt trying to kill Disney World though.

Agreed that most of the blame Chapek got was on items that Iger set in motion. Iger kept his office at Disney the whole time, so was he ever fully gone? Disagree on the CDO, as she was involved with tons of initiatives in the parks and with movies and streaming. Part of the downfall lately is the perception that Disney has abandoned the moderate families and caved to what the SJWs want.

The Desantis fight was just stupid, no reason to engage in that war of words. Go see the man in private and work out a compromise that works for everyone. There is nothing to gain from engaging in a political battle in the public eye!
I dont disagree she wasnt influential, what i meant is that to shareholders CDO is not considered a critical position and its completely reasonable for a new CEO to demand the CDO be a different person as soon as they get hired on to "push their vision of the company".

Meanwhile CFO is the one who made the financing deals and flipping the table on that makes investors way more nervous.

The CDO could be blamed (and is by some) for some of the issues, but the former CFO was considered a miracle worker who kept the company afloat during covid (that probably isnt true, and may be why she got gone, but its the narrative out there).

Rephrasing my statement, I think Iger would get blank stares about a CDO being why he had to stay longer, but would get some traction with the CFO leaving. Both leaving just makes him look bad. Especially sense his whole narrative is he is "charismatic and easy to work with" (but cant keep anybody around to work with him)

I think the whole Florida controversy and other politically-motivated moves by the company is a much bigger problem than people realize.

A recent polling analysis showed that Disney is currently viewed as the #5 most politically-polarizing company in the nation. Now some companies are very political. For some, politics is their business. But Disney is not supposed to be about that. The main purpose of this company is family entertainment. I understand Disney wants to set an inclusive culture and a certain belief system. But you can go too far. And I think they've gone so far that they've alienated a large swath of their customer base. And it's to a point now that it's damaged the brand. It doesn't even matter anymore if they win against the state of Florida in the courts. They've already lost the war because the damage to the brand may not be repairable. Just fighting and getting involved has upset a lot of people. The country is very polarized politically these days. And Disney has clearly taken a side in this. And that could be hard to come back from now.

Disney has lost a combined $890 million in their last 8 theatrical releases. Their movies are immediately boycotted by 50% of the country before the trailer even comes out. This also presents a long term problem since Disney's parks relies so heavily on the studios success. The studios put out a movie. And then the parks trot out the characters, the merchandise, the shows, the rides, etc.. And people go because they are attracted to that theming. That is what made this company what it is today. If people hate the movies, what attracts them to the parks? Certainly not the overpriced food and a Genie+ app. And I think we are starting to see a little bit of this. Disney's continuous failure at the box office will eventually trickle down to the parks. Yeah, Disney has fun rides. But so do a lot of other competitors that charge MUCH less money. Right now, if you go to Disney, you are paying a premium. You are paying more money than it would cost elsewhere. Many people are starting to realize they are not getting a premium product for that money when everything is now political, and the theming is so bland, and the newer movies all suck.

This is a Bob Iger problem. Chapek didn't start this trend. It was started by Iger. And if he doesn't fix it, THIS will be his legacy.

If people hate the movies, what attracts them to the parks? Certainly not the overpriced food and a Genie+ app. And I think we are starting to see a little bit of this. Disney's continuous failure at the box office will eventually trickle down to the parks. Yeah, Disney has fun rides. But so do a lot of other competitors that charge MUCH less money. Right now, if you go to Disney, you are paying a premium. You are paying more money than it would cost elsewhere. Many people are starting to realize they are not getting a premium product for that money when everything is now political, and the theming is so bland, and the newer movies all suck.

This is a Bob Iger problem. Chapek didn't start this trend. It was started by Iger. And if he doesn't fix it, THIS will be his legacy.

People were attracted to the parks because they had unique experiences that you couldnt get anywhere else. Was there Mickey Mouse around? Yep. But many of the "classic" Disney attractions had loose or irrelevant theming. Nobody hit up Splash Mountain because of some deep abiding love of Song of the South that had come out decades prior. Space Mountain has no movie tie in. Test Track doesnt have that sweet Fast and the Furious tie in. SpaceShip Earth movie aint a thing. People dont even really remember Twilight Zone anymore. The parks and the rides had their own unique quality and level of craftmanship that you couldnt find anywhere else.

Iger is the one who pushed harder to make them about IP, instead of a place that birthed IP. Whats the last "original" concept for the Parks? Space Mountain movie from Iger when?

People were attracted to the parks because they had unique experiences that you couldnt get anywhere else. Was there Mickey Mouse around? Yep. But many of the "classic" Disney attractions had loose or irrelevant theming. Nobody hit up Splash Mountain because of some deep abiding love of Song of the South that had come out decades prior. Space Mountain has no movie tie in. Test Track doesnt have that sweet Fast and the Furious tie in. SpaceShip Earth movie aint a thing. People dont even really remember Twilight Zone anymore. The parks and the rides had their own unique quality and level of craftmanship that you couldnt find anywhere else.

Iger is the one who pushed harder to make them about IP, instead of a place that birthed IP. Whats the last "original" concept for the Parks? Space Mountain movie from Iger when?

Non IP attractions can/are certainly able to be very popular draws.

However IMO, building more Disney IP at Disney World would not convince guests to no longer come there.

It's more they are not building anything (and all the reasons listed above of course).

If IP building is that bad, Epic Universe will be a total flop.

So at least we have an obvious test sample coming up soon.

Things like Test Track, Mission Space and Sorin aren't based on any particular IP. However, they are part of the overall main theming of EPCOT. Which unfortunately I think they are moving away from it seems. Guardians is a good ride, but I don't think it fits in EPCOT. And the coming Moana attraction in the middle of Future World is even more out of place.

It's just something isn't right. The theming they are doing is out of place. And it's not all that great either.

And it's not just the parks, but the theming at the resorts has taken a lot of criticism lately as well. Many have said that renovations and remodels at several of the resorts are bland and/or "too modern." So you removed that theming, along with Disney removing the perks of staying on property, you have people asking why pay a premium price to stay on property? What's special about it?

Who here is claiming movies are doing great? I'm genuinley curious because I haven't seen it at all.

I think the parks are fine and will recover nicely later in the year, but who is defending movie sales with the company right now?

Literally hundreds of post on here defending Disney's performance in the box office and on low streaming numbers. Did you miss all of that?

Literally hundreds of post on here defending Disney's performance in the box office and on low streaming numbers. Did you miss all of that?

I don't really think people are "defending" it, they just aren't making it out to be the ultimate doom of the company like some are. I think everyone recognizes the challenges Disney is facing right now.

Look I disagree with you on this, there is a large percentage of people on here that can see the facts for their Mickey Ears covering their eyes. I called it early before release that Elemental, TLM, and Indy 5 were all going to struggle to make any money for Disney. Likely losing hundreds of millions of dollars. There were lots and lots of comments telling me I was wrong.

I am not trying to be negative all the time, and if I like something I always say that too. However, on here if you are even remotely realistic, you are seen as a negative nelly.

Things I think have a huge chance of success that are upcoming:
  • Wish
  • Deadpool 3
  • Frozen 3
  • Ashoka (a little concerned by the trailer)

However IMO, building more Disney IP at Disney World would not convince guests to no longer come there.

It's more they are not building anything (and all the reasons listed above of course).

IP that is done at the same quality of Wizarding World that makes sense and a experience that is congruent with the IP does well.

IP that isnt congruent with the experience does poorly. Fast And the Furious doing a bus ride for a franchise that screamed a high octane thrill experience made no sense. So it did poorly. Universal has put more work lately than it feels like Disney has in their experiences. Minion Land and Super Nintendo World had a level of craftmanship and attention to detail that previously was Disney's forte. Thats why people are excited.

What we see from Disney is an almost impossibility to get stuff done in a quick manner and they arent building congruent experiences. Guardians and Moana dont make sense for where they put them in Epcot. Even if they are good experiences. And we see them dismantling experiences people treasured and loved like Splash Mountain.

The newer experiences Disney has built like Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story Land has not compared well (to me at least) to Nintendo World and Diagon Alley. The rumor that Universal snatched up a lot of the park infrastructure people that Disney let go during covid seems more and more true to me.

Look I disagree with you on this, there is a large percentage of people on here that can see the facts for their Mickey Ears covering their eyes. I called it early before release that Elemental, TLM, and Indy 5 were all going to struggle to make any money for Disney. Likely losing hundreds of millions of dollars. There were lots and lots of comments telling me I was wrong.

I am not trying to be negative all the time, and if I like something I always say that too. However, on here if you are even remotely realistic, you are seen as a negative nelly.

Things I think have a huge chance of success that are upcoming:
  • Wish
  • Deadpool 3
  • Frozen 3
  • Ashoka (a little concerned by the trailer)

Frozen 3 will do well. Ashoka will do similar to Mando season 3. Wish flip a coin, but i wouldnt bet on it. Deadpool 3 there are rumors of issues due to the writers strike restricting their ability to make the kind of ad lib changes that made the previous movies popular.

Galaxy's edge was supposed to be Disney's answer to the immersive world that Universal built for Harry Potter fans. It does not compare in quality and popularity though. Disney is playing follow the leader on some stuff now, where they were the innovation leaders in years past.

My kids love Star Wars and Harry Potter, and in their eyes the Universal take on this type of immersive land wins hands down. The Star Wars land seems like generic dollar store type of Star Wars, where the Harry Potter world feels like you are actually on the movie set.

Last edited:
He’ll extend. His legacy is in shambles— his own fault, even stuff that happened after he left because Cheapek was his pick.

He’s gonna wanna go out on top again. I don’t think he’s ready to announce it though. Movie attendance is a problem, park attendance is a problem, streaming might be coming under control after he stopped them bleeding all of the company’s money. But none of it is fixed yet and with the economic shape we are in it will not be fixed in the next year.

Iger is the one who pushed harder to make them about IP, instead of a place that birthed IP. Whats the last "original" concept for the Parks?

IP that is done at the same quality of Wizarding World that makes sense and a experience that is congruent with the IP does well.

IP that isnt congruent with the experience does poorly. Fast And the Furious doing a bus ride for a franchise that screamed a high octane thrill experience made no sense. So it did poorly. Universal has put more work lately than it feels like Disney has in their experiences. Minion Land and Super Nintendo World had a level of craftmanship and attention to detail that previously was Disney's forte. Thats why people are excited.

What we see from Disney is an almost impossibility to get stuff done in a quick manner and they arent building congruent experiences. Guardians and Moana dont make sense for where they put them in Epcot. Even if they are good experiences. And we see them dismantling experiences people treasured and loved like Splash Mountain.

The newer experiences Disney has built like Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story Land has not compared well (to me at least) to Nintendo World and Diagon Alley. The rumor that Universal snatched up a lot of the park infrastructure people that Disney let go during covid seems more and more true to me.

I get what your saying, but is there evidence that fewer guests are visiting Epcot because they added Remy/GotG and Frozen? Will Moana keep guests away?

As for Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge, I think they fit fine in Hollywood Studios. But agree Potter Worlds at US are amazing-hence all 3 parks getting one.

I also believe Universal using "Generic" Park names gives them far more room to put anything they want anywhere they want.

And yes, they have the same folks on staff that WDW has had which is a win for all of us.

Sad part is WDW doesn't need any of them anyway-just to twiddle their thumbs.

I get what your saying, but is there evidence that fewer guests are visiting Epcot because they added Remy/GotG and Frozen? Will Moana keep guests away?

As for Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge, I think they fit fine in Hollywood Studios. But agree Potter Worlds at US are amazing-hence all 3 parks getting one.

I also believe Universal using "Generic" Park names gives them far more room to put anything they want anywhere they want.

And yes, they have the same folks on staff that WDW has had which is a win for all of us.

Sad part is WDW doesn't need any of them anyway-just to twiddle their thumbs.
Remy and GOTG were good, but you can only dilute so much before you lose the essence of the thing. Epcot is getting close to that.

Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge are fine in Hollywood Studios. They way overpaid for Galaxy's Edge but its fine. But Super Nintendo Land > Toy Story Land, and Diagon Alley > Galaxy's Edge.

Galaxy's Edge cost more and was supposed to be the Diagon Alley killer. It wasnt. if you took the Star Wars Ships, shut the shops down and no wandering StormTroopers out of Galaxy's Edge it wouldnt really feel like anything like Star Wars. If you took out the Dragon and no team members were in Diagon Alley and all the shops were closed off, you would feel like you were in Diagon Alley. Thats the difference in quality to me. They hampered themselves by trying to force it to the Sequel Trilogy.

I would also challenge the assertion "more guests = better". Epcot had a very unique feel and niche that was highly appreciated by the people who it appealed too and was likely boring to a good chunk of the rest of the people. The way they are broadening it's appeal to the greater audience is alienating the people who liked the niche. I would give the analogy of a niche band that had very specific music going "mainstream" and "widening their appeal" by doing different music, and then losing their original fans. That may seem good at first, but being really good at a niche gives a thing a timelessness that makes it last longer, going too mainstream just makes it mush that can be replaced by any other mainstream thing.

I would also challenge the assertion "more guests = better". Epcot had a very unique feel and niche that was highly appreciated by the people who it appealed too and was likely boring to a good chunk of the rest of the people. The way they are broadening it's appeal to the greater audience is alienating the people who liked the niche. I would give the analogy of a niche band that had very specific music going "mainstream" and "widening their appeal" by doing different music, and then losing their original fans. That may seem good at first, but being really good at a niche gives a thing a timelessness that makes it last longer, going too mainstream just makes it mush that can be replaced by any other mainstream thing.

And I would challenge "Not to Iger".

Oh I agree a percent hate it, and maybe even stay away because of it-but I doubt it. Guarantee these IP attractions increased guest visits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter