If you were considering the Christmas After Hours before pricing came out, are you still going?

If you were considering the Christmas party before pricing came out, are you still going?

• Still going

Votes: 110 33.1%
  • Was going to, but have changed my mind

Votes: 182 54.8%
  • On the fence / Wait and see

Votes: 40 12.0%

• Total voters
We decided to cancel Park Hopper and still do the party. We attended Very Merry twice - the first year it was awesome because it felt like we had the park to ourselves. The second time was much more crowded. We are taking the gamble that the higher prices mean less people will attend and we'll be able to do everything we want in that time frame.

Forgot to add:

I'd really love to see what Disney is going to expect me to pay for FP or whatever they end up calling it before deciding on these tickets. I think they are purposely holding that info back so this event can book up before people are able to factor that in.

It's a smart (evil) strategy!

Forgot to add:

I'd really love to see what Disney is going to expect me to pay for FP or whatever they end up calling it before deciding on these tickets.

I think they are purposely holding that info back so this event can book up before people are able to factor that in.

It's a smart (evil) strategy!

Makes sense, most of us have a set budget per trip and I know I'm not upping my budget, I am cancelling something else to pay for the new upsell. They won't get any more money from me - more like less if they increase a price on something I was going to purchase, but now won't.

Just like new APs were predicted to be put on sale this month .... too late to book Remy AP Preview. Timing is everything for these decisions.

We are still planning to go even though the price came in higher than I expected. It’s just my husband and I, and it is a birthday trip for me. I did cancel the park hoppers on our tickets to try to justify the price. (A little bit of Disney math)

We are still planning to go the week after thanksgiving. We haven’t been to an after hours party since 2012 and this would have been our kids first time attending a party. But we cannot justify dropping $850+ for such a short party. We are even still wondering if we will go at all, a lot can change between now and late November so we are keeping up hope that more things become available. We used to go every two years but I think we have finally been out priced by Disney as for now this will be our last trip , if we even go.

I feel that as many people as will be turned off by higher priced special events at Disney, there is someone like me who would gladly pay more for a better experience (which I don't believe Disney offers any more with their drastically overcrowded parks). Because I only go as a special thing (once a year at most, and could be only every couple years), and it costs me a lot to go anyways - I'd rather pay a high ticket price for a special event than to pay a still pretty high price (for regular admission tickets) for a frustrating and crowded experience. If I could go to WDW and strictly be able to time it so I could do an event at each of the parks - I wouldn't ever bother with a regular admission.

Last edited:
I feel that as many people as will be turned off by higher priced special events at Disney, there is someone like me who would gladly pay more for a better experience (which I don't believe Disney offers any more with their drastically overcrowded parks). Because I only go as a special thing (once a year at most, and could be only every couple years), and it costs me a lot to go anyways - I'd rather pay a high ticket price for a special event that pay a still pretty high price (for regular admission tickets) for a frustrating and crowded experience. If I could go to WDW and strictly be able to time it so I could do an event at each of the parks - I wouldn't ever bother with a regular admission.
I agree with all of this, but most people already have their Nov / Dec 2021 trips planned. They also have tickets purchased, so they could make park reservations. This is, for most, an additional expense. For us, the party day is right in the middle of our trip, so we already have a park ticket / park reservation for that day. If this was announced before we planned our trip and park reservations weren't required, we could have possibly worked a non-park day around it, but that ship has sailed.

I'm now worried they will announce the pricing for the FP replacement later this month and that will be another additional expense to consider.

I know none of these extras are required to be purchased, but I just like to have all the facts before committing myself to non-refundable events.

I know, I know, wishful thinking.

Super sad/mad! We were planning to attend the Sunday before Thanksgiving week (11/21)...

... that was until it cost $229 each... for a total of $916 for my family of 4 :sad2: thanks alot Bob Paycheck, that smarts! :headache:

After hearing DFB even critical of Boo Bash pricing and minimal offerings the pricing for this came out. We were shocked. But should not have been - "pay more for what you used to get included" is the new Bob and Josh mantra.

While we can "afford it" the price has been deemed too outrageous and a poor value by my husband. I have to say I agree... and I am still sad and would still probably pay it because we have never been to MVMCP and visited during TG week last year with minimal holiday offerings and loved it. Just imagine how much we would love the Xmas AH event?!?!? I was excited for what could be this year....

We are staying at Riviera (not DVC owners) and hope to hit some Deluxe EMH in the evenings (even though i think that is lame to only offer to Deluxe), but the Christmas FW, parade, and snow and minimal crowds at what would be our first After Hours are still pulling at my mickey-ear shaped heart strings...

I wish I knew if there was going to be Candlelight Processional this year - if that were coming I might feel less bummed out about not attending.

I am assuming it's not happening with Delta, but does anyone have any thoughts/inside scoop/rumors?

I'm now worried they will announce the pricing for the FP replacement later this month and that will be another additional expense to consider.

I know none of these extras are required to be purchased, but I just like to have all the facts before committing myself to non-refundable events.

I know, I know, wishful thinking.

Agreed! I too am concerned about paid FPs and if they will be added. BUT I do think we need to STOP letting Disney think that fans think paid FP are a foregone conclusion and thusly feel empowered to just move forward with the ridiculous DLP pricing stateside!

I also want to know about Candlelight Processional before I make this final - even though DH put the ka-bahsh on the Christmas AH party!

BUT I do think we need to STOP letting Disney think that fans think paid FP are a foregone conclusion
I'm sorry, but it is. During the earnings call last week, Bob talked heavily about the Genie App and how it can be used to monetize things (ie paid FP or whatever they call it). Look for an announcement later this month / early next.

Standby will even be changing.

A couple's trip planned in Nov but a family trip in DEC. I'm still on the fence. One because I don't
know how cases will be. My cousin got back from WDW sick as a dog. TWO I would like to know
more info about FP..paid or not. Crowds are heavy holiday time so it would be nice to know what
we are dealing with regarding rides. I hate to say it but if those 2 things were not a factor I would
probably pay right away. (but only because family misses WDW so much). After that no way.

Thank you for including him. Bob C. wasn't spared for his cheaptastic ways when he was over parks, and there's no reason the comparably more telegenic and seemingly empathetic Josh should be either now.

Yep - I stopped drinking the Josh D'Amaro Koolaid as they continued to strip away the guest experience. And add monetized "extras" that were included before as though we should be happy?!?! The pandemic is their opportunity to turn everything on it's head.

Can anyone help me understand how 30-minutes of EMH in the morning will be a perk for all resort guests when each park let's guests in up to 45 minutes early already to manage the long lines?!?!?! None of the vloggers seem to acknowledge this is the same or worse than existing practice... they must all be late night folks.

I'm sorry, but it is. During the earnings call last week, Bob talked heavily about the Genie App and how it can be used to monetize things (ie paid FP or whatever they call it). Look for an announcement later this month / early next.

Standby will even be changing.

UGH! I hate that the happy place is taking it's cues from the airline industry... prices/upcharges for what used to be the base experience...

and we all know what happened with flights... we all pay for our ticket, our seat, our baggage, our better seat, some even our overhead storage...

without blinking... because we have no alternative. 😭

If you want the parks to change for the better they have to experience significant financial pain that they can’t explain away due to the pandemic or travel restrictions.

I googled Candlelight Processional earlier today and there were a couple hits which said they seem to be planning for it to come back as they are recruiting cast members who previously sang in the choir and who are vaccinated but that's all that is known so far. I imagine with Delta, everything remains very fluid.

My very favorite Christmas event at Disney was the Osborne Family Lights at Hollywood Studios; I would probably pay this year's MK holiday party prices just to see those one last time!

I just can’t in my mind justify the price of a four hour event for the price day tickets in the park and getting less from Christmas parties in the past, I just can’t do it. It’s not that I can’t afford it it’s that I refuse to pay it.

However all those who are going I hope you have a very merriest of times!

Can anyone help me understand how 30-minutes of EMH in the morning will be a perk for all resort guests when each park let's guests in up to 45 minutes early already to manage the long lines?!?!?! None of the vloggers seem to acknowledge this is the same or worse than existing practice... they must all be late night folks.
We were there 2 weeks ago. Epcot and MK were not letting guests in early or onto rides early. DHS and AK were, but not as early as last July and November. I think they will all go to posted opening times for non-resort guests and 30 minutes, maybe a little more, for hotel guests.

I planned on going and then saw the price and wasn’t going (especially with evening EMH possible at MK) but then I talked to my brother and sister-in-law and we kinda got FOMO and now we’re planning in getting tickets…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter