If you have mobility/medical issues, is camping a good way to go?

jennypenny

DIS Veteran
OK, we used to camp at disney in our popup. Then DS (now 5), was diagnosed with cyctic fibrosis and we stopped camping and bought DVC. DS is doing much better now, but I'm having issues. I have some problems with my spine and a kind of arthritis that's causing damage to tendons. Sometimes I need a walker, most times a cane. (I'm 42)

My first instinct was DVC was better for both of us but I'm starting to have doubts. If we camp (and we might trade up) we can bring anything and everything we might need. If either of us is having a bad day and can't do parks, I'd much rather sit at the Fort than in a hotel room. Of course, walking to the comfort station is a problem. And sometimes cooking is hard when standing hurts (why isn't there better take out at the fort???) But I really start to squirm when I think about everyone that's slept in the bed before me when I stay in a hotel room.

I don't want to romanticise camping either--I know it's work. Oh, and we have a dog now (pit bull rescue almost a year old) and it would be wonderful to take him on vacation with us. That's definitely a big plus on the camping side.

So, how many of you camp with disabilities? What are the pros and cons? I want to get around on my own as much as possible.

We camp with a friend of our sons (who is as much a member of our family as anyone) who is 16 now. He has Muscular dystrophy that is progressing fairly rapidly. He does have difficulty walking for long periods of time and has issues with stairs. On our last trip he had an Amigo scooter that he used an it was very helpful in saving his energy.
I do all the cooking so there is no issue there, my suggestion there would be to premake as much food as possible and freeze it for use while traveling. I usually make sloppy joes, pulled pork, chicken breasts and other things that can be quickly microwaved and then served with a microwave rice dish (or similar) they are fast and easy and much less expensive than carry out.
We have a bathroom in the trailer that is large enough for anyone but the boys prefer the comfort stations. I am told that the handicap ( I hate that word) shower works very well, typically he has mobility issues in that regard but the seat and the size of the shower make it easier for him.
The walk to the comfort station isnt usually bad anywhere in the fort, you could always request one close to the CS and explain why.
We allow a little extra stretching time while in the car so that he can get loosened up during stops, other than that we use a small stool for him to get into the truck since its fairly large and 4WD which makes the step up an issue without the stool.
The setup and take down are handled mostly by me, I can see where connecting a trailer and setting the hitch would be an issue for someone with strength and or mobility issues. You should think hard about that and evaluate your options, I will say that ANYONE in the fort would be willing to lend you a hand. I suspect that Fort wilderness would have someone who could assist you also.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other ?

You will get some good help here, there are several folks around here who camp with disabilities. The ease of taking assistive devices with you and the ability to modify your rig to suit your particular needs makes RV camping a good choice, IMO. I would think a trailer (TT or 5er) or motorhome would be most suitable: less setup than tents, pop-ups and hybrids; lower floor heights and more room than truck campers. As far as motorhomes, an older gas coach might be ideal since they usually have smaller tires and lower floors. Older class A gas coaches will have a doghouse (motor housing between the cockpit seats) which can hinder access to the driver's seat from the coach. A class C usually has a tighter cockpit, but access from the coach can be easier, and the ease of entry from outside is much better than a class A. A class C with a large bathroom would be a great option, I would think, but there are folks here with sundry disabilities who camp in every type of rig, so take heart and carefully weigh your requirements against the options.

Oh, you mentioned pain while standing to cook. Wal*Mart sells a folding bar stool that might help tremendously. It folds flat to put out of the way, and when in use it leaves you at nearly standing height. It even has a modicum of cushion. And, of course, an RV kitchen is usually quite small so most of it is probably within reach even while seated.

My Dad had back surgery that put him in a wheel chair. However he has found camping at FW and going to the parks is easier then going to town some times. Just because Disney is good with disabilities. He uses a ECV to get around although I got a golf cart for my parents to use in FW now. Me and The DW take our trailer and my parents take theres but I take care of hooking up and un hooking there TT. I tried a resort 1 time and it seemed like I did more walking there then I ever do at FW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter