If You Can Dream It, You Can Do It! - WISH October Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

I am in for this month.

My name is Stephanie. I am from Northeast Ohio. I am married. It will be 13 years on October 9th. We have 2 kids. Our son is 11 and is very active in sports. He plays soccer, basketball and baseball. Our daughter is 10. She is my creative one. Loves anything to do with art and drawing. She was doing gymnastics but broke her ankle almost 2 years ago and then was to scared to go back. She did dance last year and the start of this year but now she has decided that she doesn't want to do that and it is boring. She want to try swimming and soccer. She also has some anxiety and at times will be very attached to me. This makes it hard for me as sometimes it is very hard for me to leave to go workout. This is something we are working one. Last week was the worst week she has had in a long time.

My goals for the month are to lose 4 pounds. This month seems to shaping up to be a little bit quieter then the last few. I am going to track my food and get 10,000 steps a day. I am hoping to get to the rec at least 3 days a week and and use an X-Box workout video a few days as well.

My kids rely on me to stay fit.

Sometimes it annoys me that people expect me to always be the grown up, eat and exercise and be sensible.

I totally get this! Part of having a healthy life is allowing yourself the grace to not be completely rigid and a lot of people want to judge us in those moments, especially if they know we are trying to be 'healthy'. Like if I know someone is bringing donuts one day and I really want a donut, then by golly I'm going to have one! What they don't see is that I've adjusted my activity level or other meals for the day to compensate so they only judge based on that one supposed weakness. Even if I don't choose to compensate then it's still none of their business. The best we can do is just shrug it off!

I am in for this month.

I'm so happy you'll be joining us this month! :jumping1:

Monday check-in... looking back over the weekend I did more better than not on reaching my October goals. Somehow I forgot to take my woodsy walk, but I was much better about drinking water, ate less sugar and dairy but about the same gluten, remembered to be grateful whenever my mind was wandering in to negative territory and was softer and kinder to myself. I'm really pleased with the new hairdresser I found, she barely trimmed the ends but was able to correct most of the bad cut I had just gotten. It's kind of frivolous to be so wrapped up in my hair, but somehow with the new cut I feel like I've come back to myself in someway, which should help me to get back on track with healthy eating/living.

QOTD: My first answer is that I am the one relying on myself to make my goals, but to that I'll add my co-workers, as they need me to be in top form and to be doing the best job that I can.

Here in the Seattle area we have a guy who puts together an annual convention style gathering for all things Disney. He is able to bring in some pretty big names, including Disney Legend Imagineers. I think the one that has stuck with me the most (but not enough that I actually remember his name) was a sound guy. He talked about how we perceive sound and how with something like an automatronic character the sound has to be very close to the figure horizontally but vertically there's a little bit more play. He had done the sound on quite a few of the WDW attractions, and talked specifically about Space Mountain and how the sound from one section needs to blend in to the next without gaps or overlays. He even had a video of riding Space Mountain (with the lights on which was cool in itself) and counting so they could use the count to space out the sound. I think of him every time I see talking Mickey, because the disconnect of the sound/voice and Mickey weirds me out a bit.

It's a somber day today with the shooting in Las Vegas on hearts and minds. Prayers to everyone touched by this tragedy, which is basically all of us.

I have stayed at that hotel in Vegas! I don't understand US policies over gun ownership at all but I guess this is not topic for this forum. Horrific

My DH is in Seattle for work right now. I would ask for suggestions to eat & visit but he is so crazy busy, he won't get chance to do much at all.

@piglet1979 I am really sorry your daughter is feeling little sensitive. I hope this week is better.

@HappyGrape Thank you! We have good and bad days ever since she was very little. She called me last week when school was just starting for the day crying that she missed me. She is now wearing one of my old necklaces to help her. This seems to be helping.

I have been watching CNN all morning at work. It is very scary. I live here and don't understand our gun laws.

I have stayed at that hotel in Vegas! I don't understand US policies over gun ownership at all but I guess this is not topic for this forum. Horrific

My DH is in Seattle for work right now. I would ask for suggestions to eat & visit but he is so crazy busy, he won't get chance to do much at all.

@piglet1979 I am really sorry your daughter is feeling little sensitive. I hope this week is better.

Seattle is kind of a foodie town, so if he does have a chance to break away I'm sure the hotel concierge would be able to give quite a few god suggestions... assuming he is right in the downtown area.

Hi. I'm Sheril, commonly known as fromscratchmom online. It's been nearly eleven years since my last Disney trip. My kids are now 17, 19, and 26. My son and my daughter-in-law have even been living with me for the last year and I get to enjoy my grandbabies a lot! Two years ago my husband dumped me and I've been on quite the healing journey to recover from that pain. My faith and my love for my children and my will to be a better me are strong today. I'd been on a physical healing journey for a long time. Over ten years. My 2006 trip to Disney helped me tremendously because I'd been scared of the walking and in my planning process during the year before I bought myself orthotics which helped me tremendously with a ton of foot pain but also surprised me by helping a ton with leg pain, hip pain, and back pain. My orthotics and all my walking on the treadmill in preparation for that trip were just outstanding for me.

All these years later my mother has passed. I'm rapidly approaching an empty nest stage of life. My husband is gone. I'm back in school soon to graduate and become a licensed massage therapist. I'm gluten free, and when I'm being smart grain free. And I'm getting better every year. I'm dreaming of someday moving to central Florida for my seasonal effective disorder and getting to go to an acupuncture school with a good reputation in Orlando...AND being a permanent tourist.

After over ten years of health journey I woke up the other day at peace and knowing that now is the time and there won't be anymore huge delays or roadblocks before I just lose all the rest of the weight and get to the level of active that I've been planning for and hoping for. I even made a bet at healthy wage. LOL
(if anyone is interested I'd, of course, be happy to hook you up and have them send you an email.)

I'd been going back up in weight during the last two years since my husband left. The other day I woke up with the peace, motivation, and determination. I was 208. Today I'm 198. Don't you just love those first pounds coming off so fast water weight and all?!

Someday I'm going to be back at Disney and I'm going to be more fit than I am today.

Last edited:

Whoops. I should have said a bit about how I'm currently working on my weight and health and an October goal.

My health is a huge topic. So I'll just say for now that I recently did a phone consultation with a chiropractor in another state who works with people with fibromyalgia. He's sending me his book so that I might find some new tips on it and maybe I'll work with him some more in the future for ideas. And as per his advice and that of several other people I also have an appointment at a Columbus arthritis center booked in November. Been working on my own for natural remedies and away from conventional medicine for a long time. But I am going to get myself an official diagnosis if it actually applies, just so it's a little something for dealing with the people who roll their eyes at those with chronic but hidden issues.

As for my weight and diet and exercise, I tend to eat pretty clean diet. I tend to avoid grains when I'm really taking better care of myself than I had been recently. And I tend to do a lot of fat from grass fed butter and grass fed meats. My body cannot seem to really handle any kind of sugar or sweetener or hardly any refined carbs at all. I need to avoid soy. I only use a tiny bit of raw local honey as far as sweeteners go in my life. So to make sure I'm actually losing weight consistently over the next several months what I've been doing this last week is the combination of intermittent fasting and a super low carb diet. With that even a person whose body is as resistant metabolically as mine is can get back to the general trend of improvement I'd been on a couple of years ago, and for so long before that.

So, I will make it my October goal to keep myself super low carb with no cheat days. I just do better when I'm stricter. I'm sure I'll also update on my energy levels since it's been quite the journey learning massage with my health problems. I have a new job for just one short shift a week where I massage as a tech for three hours. I felt like my arms were going to fall off the next day. Lol. But... I recovered really well! And I was just totally and completely thrilled with that outcome!

Last edited:
I appreciate you all sharing your journey publicly (with me)! It's really helpful. Now that I noticed there's a question of the day, right now my two girls still really rely on me and my son, daughter-in-law, and grandkids are there too. But I'm actually learning to just find the motivation to do this for me instead of for everyone else who needs me. Somehow that's one of the most important things for my journey at the moment .

Last edited:
@fromscratchmom we are all very happy to have you join us this month! It sounds like there have definitely been a lot of curve balls thrown your way in the last few years but I so admire how you have recognized a level of peace in your life and that you're using it as motivation to be healthy.

It looks like you also have some amazing life goals that you're working toward!

my daily update
1) Did I do my steps (15000 goal) Yes
2) Were my calories in balance Yes
3) Did I do my 3 weekly workouts without overdoing it (only M, W and F) Yes
4) What did I do great today, what worked well
I made really tasty egg white omelette with pizza sauce, mozzarella and some pepperoni for breakfast . Lunch and dinner were same. I made the giant turkey meatball parmesan link below. I had it with side salad and whole grain rice portion. Snack 1 between lunch and dinner was greek yogurt with peach, pear and mandarin. Snack two few mandarins. I also used 3000 steps do do a good house clean! We let go of the cleaner as she keeps breaking things and I couldn't take it anymore.

The recipe is so easy to do and was hit with my son, will be doing it again.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/giant-turkey-meatball-parmesan/

5) What can I do better

Honestly today was good for me. Nothing to improve on. The food I ate suited me well, I felt satisfied and energetic and I enjoyed the taste too! I feel back in the happy zone!

Last edited:
my daily update
1) Did I do my steps (15000 goal) Yes
2) Were my calories in balance Yes
3) Did I do my 3 weekly workouts without overdoing it (only M, W and F) Yes
4) What did I do great today, what worked well
I made really tasty egg white omelette with pizza sauce, mozarala and some pepperoni for breakfast . Lunch and dinner were same. I made the giant turkey meatball parmesan link below. I had it with side salad and whole grain rice portion. Snack 1 between lunch and dinner was greek yoghurt with peach, pear and mandarin. Snack two few mandarins. I also used 3000 steps do do a good house clean! We let go of the cleaner as she keeps breaking things and I couldn't take it anymore.

The recipe is so easy to do and was hit with my son, will be doing it again.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/giant-turkey-meatball-parmesan/

5) What can I do better

Honestly today was good for me. Nothing to improve on. The food I ate suited me well, I felt satisfied and energetic and I enjoyed the taste too! I feel back in the happy zone!
Okay both of those recipes look amazing! I'm definitely going to have to try the pizza egg white omelette.

Off to bed after an ok-ish day and just wanted to chime in on the bonus question (love the theme!) as my favourite imagineers is Joe Rohde. I follow him on instagram and just really love the stuff he puts out! And I am a huge AK fan, so Inthink his work is pretty great, too.

Off to bed after an ok-ish day and just wanted to chime in on the bonus question (love the theme!) as my favourite imagineers is Joe Rohde. I follow him on instagram and just really love the stuff he puts out! And I am a huge AK fan, so Inthink his work is pretty great, too.

I remember seeing him in a program about the research they did for Expedition Everest.

Hello All! I am back and in again for October. Quick intro- I am Jennifer, I live in south Florida so I have been to WDW many, mant times and still love it. Married for 22 yrs, 2 DS(21,19) that work with us in the family bus. I homeschooled the boys thru HS-finished this spring.

I am part of Weight Watchers- 19 weeks done, 34 lbs gone. That was with 2 weeks of vacation and a week of Irma. So I am very happy with it.

I started because it was time to put myself first. My weight had been slowly increasing, I lost only 13 lb on my own which is why I decided to try WW. I started having health issues besides just high BP, A1c rising as well. I have had serious issues with migraines and vertigo which did not help-sometimes it took months until I was ok again. Then almost 2 yrs ago I found a lump in my throat- thankfully after 4 biopsies in these last 2 yrs it still is a slow growing goiter but most likely it will need to come out at some point as it is large. I had another small cyst biopsied-inconclusive and am now waiting for my gyn to call back as I may need a uterine biopsy. My dad always said if you have your health , you have everything. Boy is that right.

Anyway, I am finally making headway. I just did a major clean out of my closet. All too big-how nice is that? I still have about 45 lbs to go but I am confident I will get there. I usually get about 10-12k steps in but I don't do mcuh more than that. Bad knee, as well as PF for the last 15 yrs. But I hope I can do more as I lose more weight.

QOTD-I am doing this for myself and to be here for my kids. We are a very close family and they mean the world to me and as they are still at home, I feel I need to be here for them.

I think all the imagineers are rock stars!

Nobody is relying on me to meet my goals. Oh pashaw. Nobody even knows I have goals! You guys are the only ones I tell!! DH knows I log all my food and like tonight can't eat anything more unless it's under 70 calories. Stupid PB&J for lunch.

I'm surprised at how many steps I got in today. I drove to work because I had a lot of stuff to carry. I drove home at lunch and walked back, but I must have walked more than I remember while at work. Probably that zillion trips across the hall to the copy machine! Nothing like walking up and not seeing your print. Back to the computer to discover you really didn't hit print!

Tomorrow I plan to shop so I really should do some meal planning tonight. I've been going through old recipes from those long ago days when we were DINKS. Don't know why I stopped making some of them! I think it's time to dust them off and enjoy some yummy forgotten favorites.

Hi I am Tammy a 40 something mama of 2 girls ages 12 and 10 this month and fur grandma to 3 bunnies and 4 kittens. We live on part of what is left of land that my great grandfather homesteaded in Montana. My parents, brother's family, and sister live on other parts of the same section and we share a larger yard. One of my dad's cousins lives on another part of the original homestead. My goal this month is to get back to exercising so I am going to start with 310 minutes of exercise this month which is an average of 10 minutes a day.

Who is relying on you to meet your goals?

My family is relying on me to meet my goals to start with so that we can do things together and so hopefully I am not in as much pain with some light exercise.

Today my exercise was almost 10 year old and I helped my mom bring in part of the garden. We are going to end up leaving a bunch of tomatoes if they don't end up freezing tonight as we don't have any more room to lay them out to ripen plus the ones we are leaving are so green they are not going to sun ripen without ending up drying out. I got about 15 minutes of walking back and forth doing bending and stretching, and some resistance holding one of the bigger plants up so my mom could pick from the other side.

Today was a busy day with some rushing to get a few things done. Got up about 10 this morning planning that I would not need to leave to take 12 year old into Missoula Children's Theater auditions for Peter and Wendy ( if anyone wants to fly into MT this weekend to see a cute play let me know and I will send you information on some great hotels and can set up with tickets-the highest price is $15 for a family of 3 or more all general admission seating) when I heard my phone ding that I had a text message just before 10:30 that we were meeting at 11 to put up the window display for National 4-H week at our club meeting spot. We get there and discover that one of the home school co-ops was using the space. They were nice about it since we were in a different part of the building and out of the way before they started setting up tables for lunch. Went and got something for 12 year old and myself to eat, to auditions, found out what part she got ( She is playing the part of Liza (Lie ZA) who is somehow connected to the Darling Family and had her first rehearsal today. She has 1 tomorrow and 2 a day Wed-Fri plus the dress rehearsal and performance on Saturday. I was coming into the yard to be at home with almost 10 year old so DH could go to work when I saw my mom out in the garden so said that the little one and i would come and help until we had to go back into town to get 12 year old. Ran into the larger town to take a couple of library books due today back and had Mexican for dinner. Not happy that I asked for no refried beans and no tomatoes on anything telling them I was allergic ( I am to tomatoes) and I found out that my Beef Chimichanga had beans in it. I have gotten it with no beans before so I know it could be made that way. My stomach is telling me off tonight so lots of TMI bathroom runs. Luckily that one is the only reaction that I have unlike the tomatoes that start to swell my throat shut.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter