If you are prioritizing "experience" over food quality, which are your top spots in each park?

atlbraves49

Earning My Ears
Willing to sacrifice food quality for "wow factor" experience for the kids (age 3, 6, 7). Which restaurants would you consider the top choices for each park, when it comes to the experience/ambience?

Magic Kingdom: We did Beasts castle last time, and even from a theme/experience standpoint, it was.. lackluster. Not sure we want to do it again. Considering doing Cinderella's Royal Table again. Any others worth considering?

Hollywood Studios: Our kids love toy story, so I think we are leaning toward doing Rodeo Roundup BBQ. We did the sci-fi dine in last time, which was fun, but I think they'd like toy story more. Does a big sit down meal like this take too much time away from other park activities?

Epcot: Space 220. We, the parents, think this place looks great, but would it be interesting for kids? Any other better options at Epcot, for kids, from an atmosphere/ambience standpoint? We've previously done Mexico, which the kid's enjoyed.

Note: Not doing Animal Kingdom this trip, so not including it in list.

Disney Springs: T-Rex Cafe? Others?

Monorail Resorts (or easy access from Contemporary): Any other recommendations beside Chef Mickey?

50s at HS can be really fun depending on the server, kids might enjoy that one. Similarly Whispering Canyon at WL can be fun and I highly recommend artist pointe at WL. If you’re interested in a cheaper than CRT princess meal their Akershus in Epcot.

50s at HS can be really fun depending on the server, kids might enjoy that one. Similarly Whispering Canyon at WL can be fun and I highly recommend artist pointe at WL. If you’re interested in a cheaper than CRT princess meal their Akershus in Epcot.
Oooo, I was unfamiliar with Akershus. This looks really neat.

MK: Cinderella's Royal Table. Who wouldn't want to eat in a castle?
Epcot: Coral Reef. Who doesn't want to eat in an aquarium?
AK: Rainforest Cafe. Who doesn't want to eat in a jungle?
DHS: Sci-Fi Dine In. Who doesn't want to eat in a drive in theater?

Edit, of all of those the only one that has good food IMO is the Coral Reef.

MK: Cinderella's Royal Table, especially if price isn't a factor. You're inside the castle, the theming matches the price tag, and you get to meet a lot of princesses in one meal. It's also a smaller, more open restaurant than Be Our Guest, which I think helps the experience.

Epcot: Coral Reef. It's not the most Disney themed, but you're eating inside an aquarium, and that's a rare experience. Honorable mention to Biergarten. You're inside a fully themed restaurant with a live band. Space 220's theming is a bit overstated in the advertising. After the elevator ride up and looking out the window for 5 minutes, it's basically a normal modern restaurant. Akershus has princesses, but the rest of the restaurant is somewhat plain.

Studios: Woody's Roundup BBQ. Between the over-the-top theming and servers playing along, I think this is the most interactive themed experience, even over 50's Primetime or Sci Fi Theater. I have heard it can take a while, but if you're doing a full day in Studios then I think it'll be fine.

AK: Probably Tusker House, for the unique character outfits and general theming. This park doesn't really have any ultra-themed restaurants or shows.

Resorts: Hoop-Dee-Doo, especially for kids or adults who like cheesy entertainment.

Springs: Toss-up between Rainforest and T-Rex cafes. The menu is copied and pasted from Applebees, but there is a lot of theming.

Any character meal, when you have a young one of course that will take joy in meeting the characters (thank goodness those days are over for us).

Epcot: garden grill - revolving restaurant with characters who seem to spend more time at each table
AK: tusker house - best food and characters
DHS: hollywoodnvine - different characters at breakfast from Disney shows kids your ages are probably watching
MK: crystal palace - Pooh n friends

All of these are buffets and not cheap, but the kids will have a great time and everyone can normally find something they enjoy to eat

MK: Have to say Be Our Guest over Cinderella's Castle for food, but reverse for the experience. Our girls loved both.

HS: Round Up Rodeo BBQ was a hit for our 6 and 8 year old. They enjoyed SciFi Dining as well. Imagine two young ones just staring at a big screen, so I think they liked it :-/

EP: Space 220 was a huge hit for our girls! They loved it!

AK: Tusker House

DS: T-Rex Cafe for the kiddos no doubt

Monorail Resorts: Ohana Breakfast

I would suggest Hoop-Dee-Doo or Whispering Canyon. I am curious to hear what folks say about 1900 PF once it re-opens.

From Contemporary I'd take the boat to Wilderness and do either Storybook Dining with the Snow White or Whispering Canyon. Whispering Canyon has tons of funny traditions there and my kids loved it at your kids ages.

MK: Cinderella's Royal Table. Who wouldn't want to eat in a castle?
Epcot: Coral Reef. Who doesn't want to eat in an aquarium?
AK: Rainforest Cafe. Who doesn't want to eat in a jungle?
DHS: Sci-Fi Dine In. Who doesn't want to eat in a drive in theater?

Edit, of all of those the only one that has good food IMO is the Coral Reef.
My only beef here is with rainforest, which is pretty lame imo. Especially if going to t-rex, which is a better version.

OP: It looks youve got the right ones for the parks. For the resorts:

Storybook dining at wilderness is worth making the effort to get to. Take a lyft from contemporary or the boat from MK.

If you have a DVC definitely check out the villains lair at bay lake tower.

Grand Floridian has a lounge called Enchanted Rose that my kids loved.

Ohana at Poly is popular for breakfast, but dinner is a really great experience too.

Have fun!

My only beef here is with rainforest, which is pretty lame imo. Especially if going to t-rex, which is a better version.

OP: It looks youve got the right ones for the parks. For the resorts:

Storybook dining at wilderness is worth making the effort to get to. Take a lyft from contemporary or the boat from MK.

If you have a DVC definitely check out the villains lair at bay lake tower.

Grand Floridian has a lounge called Enchanted Rose that my kids loved.

Ohana at Poly is popular for breakfast, but dinner is a really great experience too.

Have fun!
I was trying to come up with a fun restaurant in AK (even though the OP said they weren't going to AK). T-Rex isn't in AK.

Willing to sacrifice food quality for "wow factor" experience for the kids (age 3, 6, 7). Which restaurants would you consider the top choices for each park, when it comes to the experience/ambience?

Magic Kingdom: We did Beasts castle last time, and even from a theme/experience standpoint, it was.. lackluster. Not sure we want to do it again. Considering doing Cinderella's Royal Table again. Any others worth considering?

Hollywood Studios: Our kids love toy story, so I think we are leaning toward doing Rodeo Roundup BBQ. We did the sci-fi dine in last time, which was fun, but I think they'd like toy story more. Does a big sit down meal like this take too much time away from other park activities?

Epcot: Space 220. We, the parents, think this place looks great, but would it be interesting for kids? Any other better options at Epcot, for kids, from an atmosphere/ambience standpoint? We've previously done Mexico, which the kid's enjoyed.

Note: Not doing Animal Kingdom this trip, so not including it in list.

Disney Springs: T-Rex Cafe? Others?

Monorail Resorts (or easy access from Contemporary): Any other recommendations beside Chef Mickey?
If Be Our Guest didn't wow you, then Cindy's probably won't wow you either. Of the two, BOG is more exciting.

When we are in MK, we now mostly just eat for fuel. When it reopens, 1900 PF was always one of the better character meals. It is not in MK, but nearby at GF. Still, I would not say it is more spectacular than BOG.

HS and Epcot: I have not eaten there, but TS meals always take a good deal of time at WDW. Mexico is one of the more fun options, IMO. Italy has some decent options, in terms of food.

DS: T-Rex is pretty fun. The food is just decent, not amazing, but the environment is pretty fun. It does take some time to get to DS and eat there though.

There are a number of decent options on the monorail line, based on what you said you liked. ALmost all dning though depends in part on the CM's that actually serve you. A great CM can make any place fun, or not so fun. It is almost always fun to explore the resorts for a bit. You might enjoy Whispering Canyon Cafe and a little time exploring Wilderness Lodge. See the geyser, find the head of the 'spring' in the lobby, sit by the fireplace, find the train room at the DVc next door. for that matter, exploring fort Wilderness can also be great fun. You might get a kick out of the Hoop de Doo dinner show.

Completely ignoring the food quality, there are some restaurants that hit a home run. Of all the parks, DHS has the best theming in restaurants and it's not even close - which doesn't mean the food is all that. So, with this in mind...

MK: Cindy's castle is tops. There's nothing that comes close. Both Skipper Canteen and Beast's castle do a nice job, but they can't touch the big one. Admittedly, Skipper Canteen might be lost on many young ones.

EPCOT: I have to agree with some of the posts above - Coral Reef and Biergarten are tops for theme. Kids would be better served at Coral Reef. The Rose & Crown, Takumi-Tei, Akershus, and San Angel Inn all do a very respectable job, but none (other than Akershus) would really appeal to children IMO.

DHS: Woody's Rodeo Roundup or Sci Fi Dine In would be my pick for those with kids. They are both amazingly well themed. 50's is really well done as well. Don't count out HBD or Mama Melrose's with their themes, but not exactly what you'd be looking for with children.

Disney Springs: Sure, T-Rex or Rainforest are a bit over the top and would appeal to kids, so they're probably the winners here. The Boathouse has an actual boat you can sit/dine in (might have to wait on this), Paddlefish has outdoor dining on an actual boat (and the top deck dining is a lot of fun), and Raglan Road has dancers in the dining room, so these could be considered.

Monorail Resorts: Chef Mickey's is just a loud character meal (imo), Ohana is a nicer character experience at breakfast, and the GF has yet to get 1900 Park Fare in order. The GF is the most disappointing of the three for kids experiences, which is surprising.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread. You can't really go wrong!

MK: Cinderella's Royal Table. There's no more iconic spot in all the World. And they food's not bad either.
Epcot: Takumi-Tei, for the formality of the experience.
HS: Brown Derby. Who doesn't like having a martini or three in old Hollywood? Food is serviceable, way overpriced.
AK: Tiffins. Gorgeous room, serene and luxurious.

For us the food is the experience. Also the experience can be something as simple as a quiet table on the second floor of Columbia Harbour House.

1)Absolutely Biergarten. I personally think it’s among the top Epcot eateries for entertainment, and on property for audience participation. I’m not personally a fan of Hoopdido, but I know I’m in the minority on that one.
2) Tappan Edo is a close second. We don’t have a hibachi grill restaurant near us, so we don’t have anything to compare it with. I enjoyed the “show,” not so much the food.
2) Raglan Road in Disney Springs, hands down. The food was ok (again, my own taste buds dictated that), but not memorable. I loved the dancers though 🥰

There weren’t any other restaurants I’d return to for simply the entertainment.

Reactions: rlk

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter