If a laptop will not fit in the safe, what do you do with it...

hcarr

Earning My Ears
I must take my laptop with me for work purposes. Unfortunately, I have a new Dell laptop that they do not make a cable lock for - at least according to Dell (who should know!)
Any suggestions for how to secure it?

Thanks - 3 more days til the Beach Club!

Hcarr, I am also bring my laptop (also a new Dell) for work purposes :(

I plan on keeping mine in my main luggage which does have a lock on it. My main purpose is to really just keep it out of view. I think the chances of having it stolen are extremely slim so I am not too worried about it.

I guess you can also keep it in a drawer under some clothing...

Q

I have taken my laptop everywhere I went, for the last five years. I leave it on the desk in the hotel room, plugged in; is laptop theft on the rise now? I have homeowners' insurance that would replace it in case it was stolen, but I've never had that fear.

Hi there...

I don't have the answer to your question - just thinking that perhaps the Front Desk can "lock it" up for you while you are out.

I travel with my lap top all the time - I just leave it in the room and I have never had a problem.

Have fun at the BC - I hope you have a chance to do a trip report when you are back (or maybe post some entries from your lap top while you are there!)

Have a great holiday

>>^..^<<

We stayed at ASMO last summer, and WL in Dec. my husband just left it on the table in the room, I guess we just didn't think about it being taken. This year I think I will use your suggestion and lock it in the luggage.

I always just leave mine in the room. Sometimes even up and running. I haven't ever had a problem. It would probably be prudent to lock it in the suitcase or at least hide it.

Hi.. My DH and I always take our laptops with us and I have left mine out several times and it is always there when I get back. He usually sticks his in the closet and there have never been any problems. I guess I didn't think about it being taken.

We just leave ours out on the table and we've never had a problem. In fact, we've checked it with our luggage when we arrived before our room was ready and no problems there either. The first time we did that, I asked the bellhop if he thought it would be a problem. He just laughed and said that although that was probably one of the most often asked questions, they had never lost a laptop yet.

I wouldn't worry about it, we feel completely secure in leaving it out.

I leave mine sitting on the desk. (It's not my only unit and I am backed up.) Have never had a problem. I think mousekeeping is unlikely to be taking laptops as the finger would point right at them. If concerned, I'd stick it in a bureau drawer and put some clothes on top.

We just leave ours set up and plugged in the entire trip. We have never had a problem.

I am an Insurance Adjuster so I see tons of stolen labtops from computer rooms. I handle claims for CT and MA and each time I get a laptop theft from a hotel room, the only way it is covered for General Liability purposes, is if you place it in the room safe or give it to the front desk. I can't even begin to tell you how many claims I have gotten for stolen laptops where the person just left it in their hotel rooms and we can't pay for it because they did nothing to safeguard it. Unfortunately things do get stolen in hotel rooms (I have about 50 claims to prove that!) Just be careful, you never know what could happen. I leave everything in the room safe and if it doesn't fit I give it to the front desk bc if they lose it and it is in their hands, they have to pay for it. It's always better to be on the safe side or maybe I am just to jaded from my job!! :D

Originally posted by kerrynic78
I am an Insurance Adjuster so I see tons of stolen labtops from computer rooms. I handle claims for CT and MA and each time I get a laptop theft from a hotel room, the only way it is covered for General Liability purposes, is if you place it in the room safe or give it to the front desk. I can't even begin to tell you how many claims I have gotten for stolen laptops where the person just left it in their hotel rooms and we can't pay for it because they did nothing to safeguard it. Unfortunately things do get stolen in hotel rooms (I have about 50 claims to prove that!) Just be careful, you never know what could happen. I leave everything in the room safe and if it doesn't fit I give it to the front desk bc if they lose it and it is in their hands, they have to pay for it. It's always better to be on the safe side or maybe I am just to jaded from my job!! :D

That's interesting! I had no idea about that... of course I haven't had to make a claim for any stolen item yet (knock on wood). One question though... Since it is somewhat of a responsibility, does the front desk have to take it? Can they refuse?

I guess we are another of the lucky ones we leave ours up and running on the table in BWV.....No problems over the past 4 years...

I use a cable lock. I can always find something to loop it through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter