Icon of the seas

ucf_knight

DIS Veteran
This ship looks absolutely incredible. Royal really hyped up this ship and I didn’t think it’d live up to the hype but my first impression of the ship is that it does. Obviously they’ll need to execute on what they are wanting to accomplish with this ship (which seems a focus on families) but I can’t wait to get on board.

We are Diamond+ on Royal. We generally prefer the Oasis class ships but have sailed most of the smaller classes as well.

The pictures I've seen so far of the Icon leaves me dreading that ship. I'll be interested to read reviews once it's actually in service.

This ship looks absolutely incredible. Royal really hyped up this ship and I didn’t think it’d live up to the hype but my first impression of the ship is that it does. Obviously they’ll need to execute on what they are wanting to accomplish with this ship (which seems a focus on families) but I can’t wait to get on board.
We feel the same as you. Looking forward to getting onboard. :-)

I think you are going to get the haters and the lovers. The ship is very family friendly. I would love to book this and take our kids (teenagers). There is so much to do for them and just looks really neat to explore, many pools, etc. I can imagine though that it'll be $$$.
For those not coming with kids and just want a regular cruise ship...it's probably not for them.
That's one thing I love about Royal...they have so many different ships that target a different audience.

P.S. - I love how they enclosed the Aqua theatre as this show on Oasis class is often cancelled due to bad weather or wind. Very smart.

Can anyone whose a Crown & Anchor member book tomorrow even if they have yet to sail with RCI?

We are booked for the Icon inaugural cruise. Can't wait to be onboard with our group of friends. It was crazy trying to get a cabin yesterday and almost sold out on the opening day for booking. They are announcing that they will open the new adult beach Hideaway Bay when the Icon makes her debut there. :-)

We are booked for the Icon inaugural cruise. Can't wait to be onboard with our group of friends. It was crazy trying to get a cabin yesterday and almost sold out on the opening day for booking. They are announcing that they will open the new adult beach Hideaway Bay when the Icon makes her debut there. :-)
Ended up booking Icon too, but for later in 2024. Excited to take my kids. The agent I spoke with also mentioned that the inaugural cruise was almost sold out already (and I called at lunch time). Where port is Hideaway Bay?

Booked Icon for our anniversary in May 2024. Snagged the last grand suite on that sailing!

FWIW, I was able to book yesterday and our 1st RC cruise isn't for another 3 weeks so it seems like you are considered a C&A member as long as you have a booking.

Ended up booking Icon too, but for later in 2024. Excited to take my kids. The agent I spoke with also mentioned that the inaugural cruise was almost sold out already (and I called at lunch time). Where port is Hideaway Bay?
Hideaway Bay is the new adult only beach under construction at RCCL's Island CoCo Cay. It is supposed to open with the arrival of Icon there on her inaugural cruise. I will put a link to CoCo Cay below. There is also a very large Facebook group for CoCo Cay where you can get any and all questions answered. " CoCo Cay- The Perfect Day" is the group.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...D8C3B5B78A4D128CFA85D8C3B5B78A4D128&FORM=VIRE

Booked Icon for our anniversary in May 2024. Snagged the last grand suite on that sailing!

FWIW, I was able to book yesterday and our 1st RC cruise isn't for another 3 weeks so it seems like you are considered a C&A member as long as you have a booking.
No you are not C&A until after your first cruise. RCCL 'Royally" see what I did there 8-) messed up with their roll out of the Icon. It was supposed to be only open for booking by C&A Members Monday and everyone else Tuesday' but they didn't install it properly so everyone was able to book it yesterday If they were willing to fight for a cabin. The inaugural almost booked up entirely the first day.

I have a C&A number and it says I'm Pre-Gold. 🤷‍♀️

Oh well, no matter. We're booked on Icon and will have our first sailing (on Wonder) in 3 weeks anyway...

I have a C&A number and it says I'm Pre-Gold. 🤷‍♀️

Oh well, no matter. We're booked on Icon and will have our first sailing (on Wonder) in 3 weeks anyway...
a group of us did the Wonder Inaugural together also and now we are all booked on the Icon Inaugural. Happy Cruising on the Wonder.

I don't know much about cruises. My sister just called and asked if I want to join her on Icon of the Seas. 2024. Thanksgiving week. $5K.

She said she's so excited for this ship!

That I would need to put a $1K deposit down today to catch the sale (no pun intended!) in time. It's 30% off sale till later tonight.

She said that's the only week her family is able to go because otherwise her kids are in school.

Western Caribbean (Honduras and two stops in Mexico).

I'd be traveling with my hubby and by then our twins would be 2 years old.

Not sure what to do! Just a quick look at their web site it seems other dates are cheaper.

I'm wondering if I should wait to cruise with her until my children are also school aged so thats the only times we can go too. In the meantime I could vacation w/ my fam on something more affordable.

But then I miss out on the larger family togetherness lol, and two years should be enough time to save the money. But, yeah, this is pricey right?

Last edited:
I don't know much about cruises. My sister just called and asked if I want to join her on Icon of the Seas. 2024. Thanksgiving week. $5K.

That I would need to put a $1K deposit down today to catch the sale (no pun intended!) in time. It's 30% off sale till later tonight.

She said that's the only week her family is able to go because otherwise her kids are in school.

Not sure what to do! Just a quick look at their web site it seems other dates are cheaper.

I'm wondering if I should wait to cruise with her until my children are also school aged. Then I could vacation w/ my fam on something more affordable.

But then I miss out on the larger family togetherness lol, and two years should be enough time to save the money. But, yeah, this is pricey right?
Icon for a holiday cruise is going to be a lot. Only you can decide what is ok for your budget. We booked xmas 2024 and ouch it's double what we usually would pay...but I wanted to take my kids on it while I can (by kids, our older one will be 2nd year university so not sure how many more years we have to vacation together).

Did she tell you what room she is looking at? Rooms vary a lot by price (but even the most inside will be pricey)

The ship looks amazing, but with 2 year olds you probably will miss a lot...but family together can also be something precious.

If you are thinking it's a possibility but not sure, why don't you book it as a refundable fare? Just make sure you cancel before final payment if you decide not to go. And if you book, keep an eye on the price as you can always get a price drop if it goes lower up until final payment.

P.S. - The 30% sales are marketing. They always have a "sale".

Last edited:
We have twins as well (they're older now). From our experiences, it became enjoyable to cruise when they were in the 5 range. While they still had to be supervised, they could at least go on the kiddie water slides and activities themselves, feeding themselves was more of a sure thing : ). This is not to say it's impossible to have a good time with kids that young. But parents of multiples will know how challenging it can be to have to play zone defense against your kids ;)

Icon is supposed to have its Surfside area geared towards families, but I don't think many details of what exactly will be there.

If though the four of you could fit into one stateroom, I suggest you look to get two adjoining staterooms so that when your little ones are asleep, you and your hubby can feel you don't have to silent for fear of waking up the kids. Yes that will add to the cost, especially for Icon that is the newest and thus pricest ship. But especially if you want to try cruising to see what's it like, try one of the smaller ships (which aren't that small!) : all of the Voyageur class, Freedom class and definitely Oasis class will have tons to do for your family.

I'm wondering if I should wait to cruise with her until my children are also school aged so thats the only times we can go too. In the meantime I could vacation w/ my fam on something more affordable.

Yes the reason that one is so expensive is because it will be her ( Icon) inaugural year of paid voyages and a major holiday on top of that. That is the Western itinerary but you also may not be aware of RCLs private island CoCo Cay which is also one of the stops. If considering cruising with RCL you should definitely research CoCo Cay.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...D8C3B5B78A4D128CFA85D8C3B5B78A4D128&FORM=VIRE

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter