Ice storm days and non-refundable plans - EEK!

newzandile

Earning My Ears
So I've got 101 days until we are supposed to arrive at AKL Kidani Village on Memorial Day for our surprise WDW extravaganza (the kids think we are going to visit my family in Boca). But I'm panicking a bit and can't get too excited about almost reaching double digits because of the weather in GA!

Our oldest is set to graduate from HS on May 22 and we are supposed to leave on the 26. That was still the plan even after last month's ice storm (I grew up here and I've never seen us have two in one year, EVER). Now, with this week's storm the state was over cautious (and I'm not really complaining about that but I can't see why they aren't back to school today) and we lost another FOUR days of school. I have several neighbors who are teachers and the talk around our impromptu midday cabin fever party yesterday was that this may push the school year, and graduation past Memorial day! No one knows yet but everyone seems to agree that they are more likely to take the days from the last week in May as opposed to touching spring break (we've already lost the long weekends they had built in this month and next).

We rented DVC points and our accommodations are non-refundable. I did get trip insurance because of that but not sure if this will be covered or not. Even if it is, and even if I can get our dates moved if there is availability I was so excited about that last week of May, it would give us a cushion before other summer activities begin, it is a lower crowd level week compared to June, and I have awesome ADR's locked in!

I bet I could work out early exams for the kids or something if it weren't for our oldest's graduation. I feel kinda sick to my stomach. :worried:

Don't worry things will work out. We are in NJ and our kids have lost so many days! They are already taking away our spring break. My son is only in 1st grade and already way ahead of his class so I spoke with the school and we are pulling him out 2 weeks prior to their spring break for out disney vacation. So in my mind he's already getting a spring break lol . I hope everything works out for you! Good luck with your crazy weather down there!

Our community has been out of school 10 days this year due to weather. We lost days in November after our town was struck with a tornado (Washington, IL) and then we have been out 8 days since the first of the year with this weather. They are not cutting any days that are scheduled off with the Spring Break or school improvement days. We do not have to make all of them up, thankfully but they have not told us how many we do have to make up yet. Last year I took off the first week after school but glad I didn't plan anything like that this year!

We are also in GA. From what our administration is saying is that we are losing spring break. I have also heard they will add 15-20 mins extra to each day to make up the time.

I'm in Georgia and anxiously awaiting the school make up info too.

I also have a senior graduating who will have finals that he can't miss the last 3 days whenever those will be and I also have a middle schooler who is supposed to be in Disney World with her middle school band over Memorial Weekend and we were going to stay there the whole week. I've paid half her fees already and they are non refundable.

She will also have finals the last 3 days of school and wants to see her brother graduate so us staying home while she goes with the band won't be happening.

I've no idea what we are going to do. I'm just in waiting mode.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter