I wish Magic Bands could have DVC discount eligibility

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
It was such a pain last week having to get out my iPhone, then "wallet", then "I' to prove my eligibility for discounts. That was until I checked in to the DVC Members Lounge. I assume only "Y" members are eligible for the lounge. If not, all members can use the lounge, I apologize and nothing from here on in matters. So I asked at check in, "I assume you want to see the "Y" on my card to tell I'm eligible". To my surprise she said "No, that's OK-I can just read your band" and used her iPad to swipe it. Did she just verify I was a member, or did she have the ability to see if I was a "Y" member? And if the second, why doesn't everyone have that?

They must be able to see the “Y” because when we checked in for a MM event and they said to have your digital card ready, once they noticed my Magicband, that’s all they wanted to scan and moved me along to get my vouchers, etc.

But the iPad that can see my “Y” is sadly not the same as the scanner that scans for a purchase, etc. when we are wanting a DVC discount.

Having a front desk or a DVC CM scan your magic band and pull up your DVC/MDE account details is fully acceptable.

But to give that same access (even just granting them limited info) to every CM at every point of sale register at every park and resort store is an IT nightmare.

In the end, it's just easier to verify by showing them and let them hit that preset discount button on their screen... or use mobile checkout!

Last edited:
I had a similar discussion just this week with my server at a resort restaurant. He scanned my band when I asked for the DVC discount and said his handheld scanner showed me as DVC-Y, Annual. He even turned his device around so I could see that it said that. Apparently, they can see it, but because you can scan anyone's band and then pay via other means, they can't verify you're the actual member. This is why they ask to see your phone. Frankly, I think if you're paying via your band, which requires you to know your PIN, that should be enough to get you the discount.

At the POS terminals, I asked if they had similar functionality, and they said no. It's still "show them your phone".

They must be able to see the “Y” because when we checked in for a MM event and they said to have your digital card ready, once they noticed my Magicband, that’s all they wanted to scan and moved me along to get my vouchers, etc.
Same her, moonlight magic on Jan 25.

I had a similar discussion just this week with my server at a resort restaurant. He scanned my band when I asked for the DVC discount and said his handheld scanner showed me as DVC-Y, Annual. He even turned his device around so I could see that it said that. Apparently, they can see it, but because you can scan anyone's band and then pay via other means, they can't verify you're the actual member. This is why they ask to see your phone. Frankly, I think if you're paying via your band, which requires you to know your PIN, that should be enough to get you the discount.

At the POS terminals, I asked if they had similar functionality, and they said no. It's still "show them your phone".
I have a young son that likes to use his band and “pay” for the meal. I am more than happy that I can still show them my phone to verify membership and eligibility.

Frankly, I think if you're paying via your band, which requires you to know your PIN, that should be enough to get you the discount.
I don't see how me giving you my band and telling you my pin is 9999 is significantly more secure than me just giving you my band. "Hey Craig, here's my Magic Band and my PIN is 9999. Just use it to get all of your discounts".

Disney just seems to be inconsistent with this: a CM in a shop in MK recently asked to see my app to verify my eligibility for a discount (I offered DVC and annual pass). He insisted on seeing the annual pass in the app to verify the expiration date and refused the DVC-Y, ANNUAL from the iPhone wallet 'because the wallet could still show annual even if the pass has expired'. I then asked, what about DVC (as checking for DVC-Y in the wallet seems to be the official way to check for DVC status). He did not give me answer to this.

Disney just seems to be inconsistent with this: a CM in a shop in MK recently asked to see my app to verify my eligibility for a discount (I offered DVC and annual pass). He insisted on seeing the annual pass in the app to verify the expiration date and refused the DVC-Y, ANNUAL from the iPhone wallet 'because the wallet could still show annual even if the pass has expired'. I then asked, what about DVC (as checking for DVC-Y in the wallet seems to be the official way to check for DVC status). He did not give me answer to this.
I had this same experience in the gift shop at WL. I showed my wallet for my annual pass discount and she insisted I open MDE to show my annual pass expiration. This was near the end of our 28 day stay and she was the first one to require that. She really dug in when I asked about the inconsistency, insisting she was right. The “rules” are always changing!

We now have DVC-Y so we’ll see what the protocol is when we’re at WDW next weekend.

No issues with DVC Y because that is the only place that shows so it’s where they should look.

As you said, the annual is different and it requires you to show the actual pass with date.

Our APs expired a year ago. My Magic Mobile still shows Annual, along with DVC-Y. I have no idea how long DVC-Y stays after someone divests themselves of that!

The DVC-Y is not really a good indicator either. I'm an Associate Member (not entitled to any perks) and yet my Disney MagicMobile Pass has DVC-Y on it. If I do a mobile merchandise check out, the DVC discount is applied where applicable.

No issues with DVC Y because that is the only place that shows so it’s where they should look.

As you said, the annual is different and it requires you to show the actual pass with date.
yes, but if I have both and I offer both and the discount is the same, it seems somewhat unnecessary to insist on verifying the AP in the app when I was already showing DVC-Y.

The DVC-Y is not really a good indicator either. I'm an Associate Member (not entitled to any perks) and yet my Disney MagicMobile Pass has DVC-Y on it. If I do a mobile merchandise check out, the DVC discount is applied where applicable.
But this is a problem for Disney IT to solve. As far as I know, showing DVC-Y in your wallet is the official way to show your status for shop and restaurant discounts since they abolished the blue membership card.

I don't see how me giving you my band and telling you my pin is 9999 is significantly more secure than me just giving you my band. "Hey Craig, here's my Magic Band and my PIN is 9999. Just use it to get all of your discounts".

I you hand me your band without providing your PIN, I would not be able to charge my meal to your band.

My point was that if I am able to produce a band with the correct PIN, the server should be able to apply the appropriate discount for affiliations (AP, DVC-Y) they see on their band reader without asking me to pull out my phone to show them the same exact affiliations through the phone's wallet function.

yes, but if I have both and I offer both and the discount is the same, it seems somewhat unnecessary to insist on verifying the AP in the app when I was already showing DVC-Y.

I always just say I have DVC and an AP...and then say "Here is my DVC" and it is fine. So, it may have been the CM if she thought you only said AP and not DVC...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter