I wish it was WDW instead trippie - UPDATED WITH MORE PICS!

carolfoy

<font color=cc6633>One has Ones hat and One's orf.
Well, as many of you know I have been WDW addicted for the past four years. Last september we made the decision that we would leave WDW for at least 5 years. (only 4 now, but who's counting?). The reason was mainly down to my father, he will NOT go to the states, but will only holiday in Cyprus, Spain or Canada.:confused3 (don't ask!)
Therefore he hasn't had a 'proper' holiday for several years.
Mum, being Mum felt it was time to go back and do a last tour of our favourite areas. Callum was 5 or 6 I think last time we went and can't remember a lot about it so I, in my wisdom, agreed.
Being a travel agent has its advantages and having been before means I know which areas we wanted to go back to, which bits we haven't done and which bits we don't want to do again. So, I was first in line on release of premium flight seats and gradually booked accomodation, sight seeing and car hire etc. The whole process has taken the best part of 6 months but we're finally good to go.
Here's a rough idea of itinerary:
Tuesday 14th August, Mum, Dad, Callum and I leave home around 6 am for the 5 or so hours trip to LGW, fly to Calgary, Alberta at around 14:00, land approx 17:00 local time. transfer to sandman hotel, downtown Calgary. early night!!
15th August, join a city sight seeing trip that includes entrance to the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics village. Now anyone thats seen 'Cool Runnings' (one of my sons favourite films) will recognise that the fact that we get the chance to do the bob sleigh run is a huge deal, so thats adrenaline shot number 1!!
overnight again in Calgary - probably after shopping for stetsons!
16th August I pick up our huge luxury SUV vehicle (that will be adrenaline shot number 2 - I have no problem driving in Europe but automatic, wrong side of road, and no roundabouts will be fun - not!) so Callum will from thence fore be known as Cal-Cal as he will be navigator number 1. The reason for this is that my parents will turn into Mr and Mrs You-Don't-Want-To-Do-That and I can't bear the nagging so I'll tell them to sit back, shut up or walk the 70-odd miles to the next stop, Banff.
We've got 4 nights in Banff as before we only spent a couple here and it really has got to be one of the prettiest spots on earth. great people, great scenery. The plans for the next four days include heli-hiking (adrenaline shot number 3), white water rafting (number 4) ranching (5!), the hot springs, the gondola, visiting Lake Louise, Lake Minnewanka (Rob - that ones for you!) and indulging in lovely cream teas at the Banff Springs Hotel (you can take the girl out of cornwall....)
20th August we leave Banff and head up the Icefields Pathway before stopping to visit the glaciers (a probable number 6 due to the danger of melt at this time of the year). We probably won't be leaving the icefields until late as we would have stopped to bear watch on the way up the pathway so we're staying tonight at Sunwapta Falls, a hidden spot just south of Jasper.
21st August we'll get into Jasper quite early so can spend the day out at the Miette Hot Springs and probably a bit of canoeing on Pyramid Lake (number 7?), we stay in Jasper for two nights. I can, probably gratefully, drop the car on the evening of the 22nd.
23rd August, an early start as we join the world famous Rocky Mountaineer Train for a leisurely trip westwards, stopping overnight at Kamloops.
24th August join the train again and arrive Vancouver early evening.
25th August we'll take a trip out to the Capilano suspension bridge ( definately number 8!) and back up grouse mountain and see if Callum remembers these places. Then a wee bit of shopping and again overnight Vancouver.
26th August catch the Whistler Mountaineer train up to Whistler, funnily enough. we've got two nights here and I reckon it'll be R&R time at least until adrenaline shot number 9!
27th August, today will be the highlight or lowlight of the trip depending on whether we live!
If you don't know already Whistler is a world famous ski resort during winter, one of the best in the world. During the summer there isn't a lot of skiing to be had so instead the ski lifts are converted to host a Zip Lining adventure, yes, we'll be dangling miles above the mountain on little pieces of wire, zooming through trees with the wind in our hair!
28th August we return via the train to Vancouver ( or to the UK in a box!) and overnight again.
29th August, check out from hotel, spend a last morning shopping and head to Vancouver airport for late overnight flight home.

so...... it sure ain't WDW but there you go!

That sounds like an interesting trip, hope you have a wonderful time :) Would love to do something like that as we enjoyed Tahoe and Yosemite last year when we did our own bookings.

Claire ;)

sounds like a fantastic trip Carol even if its not WDW :) make sure you get a pic of that cream tea for me hun ;)

Sounds fab, Carol! :thumbsup2 I'd love to see more of Canada - we went skiing in Tremblant a couple of years ago and had a wonderful time...
...Callum will from thence fore be known as Cal-Cal as he will be navigator number 1...

I had to rely on Matt Nav (son no.1) and/or Sam Nav (son no.2) technology whilst driving around Spain this summer... ;)

O' CANADA..its on my holiday wish list and you are going to all of the places i want to see . dead jealous ;)

Enjoy and take lots of piccies

Carol, that sounds like a simply fantastic trip. I would love to go to Canada one day, especially to see the places my mum grew up and I have heard so much about :)

Hon, sounds a wonderful trip and you will have a blast, look out of those Mounties;) Have a brilliant time and cant wait to hear all about it when you get back.:thumbsup2

Sounds like its going to be a great trip. I would love to have ago at the Zip Lining:thumbsup2

Carol, sounds like a fantastic trip. It may not be WDW but Canada is beautiful:thumbsup2

Have a great trip. Never knew you were an adrenaline junkie!

it sounds fabulous Carol, have a great time, lots of activities to get you into practice for our rowing !

will be single handedly scaling glaciers and battling killer whales in preperation Jules, ;)

Sounds like a great trip Carol - hope you have a fantastic time and I look forward to reading your trippy :thumbsup2

Sounds beautiful. Bruce and I want to go to Canada next year, but I think we are saving up for a new car instead. I dont think we can afford both.

Banff oh my god I am jelous.

Have fun.

Hope you have a great time. We won't be going to WDW for a couple of years so know how you feel.

Susan

ooohhh I missed you, right now i think you must have landed already. Anyway if you do get internet access sometime between canoeing and zip lining:scared1: thanks for giving us a glimpse into your fantastic itnerary and can't wait to hear all about it when you get back, it sounds amazing:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter