I will NEVER go back to DisneyLand again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
andromedaslove said:
No... but when I "tried" to explain to her how they handle lost tickets at Disney World, if she had listened instead of interrupting me she would have been able to explain that they do not have the same technology or capabilities. Correct? All she had to do was listen instead of being rude.

At this point, no I don't think you should go into a place and try to compare it to a different place - especially an employee that is just there doing their job. Maybe if you want to bring the beef up to someone who can actually have an impact (like writing the letter). You wouldn't walk into McDonalds (I hope) and "try to explain to them" why you would rather have a whopper, and if you did, they would say, "sorry, this is McDonald's, and our policy is to not make you a whopper"

dizzyami said:
At this point, no I don't think you should go into a place and try to compare it to a different place - especially an employee that is just there doing their job. Maybe if you want to bring the beef up to someone who can actually have an impact (like writing the letter). You wouldn't walk into McDonalds (I hope) and "try to explain to them" why you would rather have a whopper, and if you did, they would say, "sorry, this is McDonald's, and our policy is to not make you a whopper"

You're comparing apples and oranges. If I go to a McDonald's in California I expect them to have basically the same menus as the ones here in Florida. DisneyLand and DisneyWorld are owned by the SAME company. When you walk up to Cinderella's Castle in Disney World you see a huge rotating mural of the castles at ALL the Disney parks. They were two parks created by the same man, Walt Disney. I know that I can't expect the park to be as big, or have all of the same rides, but to assume that they have similar policies, procedures, and technologies implemented at both parks didn't seem like such a stretch to me. I mean, why wouldn't they? Why would they put un upgraded ticketing and biometric system in Disney World but not DisneyLand if they see that it works better? I see now that they are COMPLETELY different, but at the time that was not my impression. Hindsight is 20/20.

andromedaslove said:
You're comparing apples and oranges. If I go to a McDonald's in California I expect them to have basically the same menus as the ones here in Florida. DisneyLand and DisneyWorld are owned by the SAME company. When you walk up to Cinderella's Castle in Disney World you see a huge rotating mural of the castles at ALL the Disney parks. They were two parks created by the same man, Walt Disney. I know that I can't expect the park to be as big, or have all of the same rides, but to assume that they have similar policies, procedures, and technologies implemented at both parks didn't seem like such a stretch to me. I mean, why wouldn't they? Why would they put un upgraded ticketing and biometric system in Disney World but not DisneyLand if they see that it works better? I see now that they are COMPLETELY different, but at the time that was not my impression. Hindsight is 20/20.
I will try to explain with with your McDonald's analogy.

Some McDonald's have TV menus and some do not. Different technology same company.

When McDonald's came out with their Arch cards you had to check the website to see which location could take the card. Different payment medium.

The Taco Bells in AZ serve breakfast but the ones by me do not. Same company different food items.

mickeyfan2 said:
I will try to explain with with your McDonald's analogy.

Some McDonald's have TV menus and some do not. Different technology same company.

When McDonald's came out with their Arch cards you had to check the website to see which location could take the card. Different payment medium.

The Taco Bells in AZ serve breakfast but the ones by me do not. Same company different food items.

See... I completely get what your saying and understand it "NOW'. However at the time, when I had just arrived at the park, having not been there for more than 5 minutes, I was not aware and did not understand. Also, there is a huge difference between the money I paid for tickets and what I would pay for a meal at McDonald's. I wouldn't get nearly as upset about a $20 meal as I would about a $350.00 loss due to the lost tickets. Make sense? As I said I understand now, that they are run differently, but at the time I couldn't understand, and would have greatly appreciated a respectful helpful CM instead of one who was so rude.

Dana

But all McD's have Big Mac's or Quarter pounders. (man, now I'm hungry! ;))

Sure the policies (technology to use the McD's example) are different at both parks but certain things should remain the same so expecting a patient, courteous CM isn't unreasonable. And I think that's the basis for Dana's rant.

Dana, you should really give DL another chance. Lots of magical moments happen there and you don't want to miss them! We got the BEST character interaction there! It was the best interaction that we've *ever* gotten anywhere. :sunny: Just be sure and hold on to your tickets! :goodvibes

To the OP: sorry you had a couple of bad experiences last weekend. My sunday started out wonderful and then was ruined by 2 rude people. It can really take the wind out of your sails.

I wasn't there - I didn't hear what happened - but perhaps in your anger and frustration your tone or words may have resulted in the CM getting angry and being rude to you. No, that doesn't excuse their behavior - but they are human and as others said - they may have had a long tough shift and unfortunately responded in a not so positive manner to you.

I htink minnietoo is right here. I have spent many years in retail and have had some bad days. I try not to take it out on you, but if you are having a bad day too, it might just spiral as we butt heads (so to speak).

andromedaslove, Disneyland and Walt Disney World may be owned by the same corporation, but so is Disneyshopping.com, ABC, Hyperion books, etc. They all have their own hierarchies (did I spell that right?) of management.
Disneyland and Walt Disney World are quite seperate - and different. I noticed that when I was visiting DL last month. I don't mean this in a bad way at all - just different than what I am used to (I loved having to go thru the bag check once a day instead of every time I go into a park!).

The weekend was probably mobbed for the marathon. They were probably open longer hours than normal - I am yawning just thinking about it. I hope that you will return there some time and have a wonderful trip. Send your letter - in the very least it will make you feel better.

Pixie dust and peace to you - :wizard:

You wouldn't walk into McDonalds (I hope) and "try to explain to them" why you would rather have a whopper, and if you did, they would say, "sorry, this is McDonald's, and our policy is to not make you a whopper"

But they would also be trained not to interrupt you.

There's two issuse here. One is the policy, the other is the interaction with the Guest Services Rep.

If things happened as explained, there is no excuse for the rep's behavior. I know, people get flustered, but certain jobs require certain temperaments. Being a good customer service rep requires that you be able to control yourself even when dealing with "difficult" customers. (That's not to say the op was difficult).

Of course when you pay the rep less than what the people at In 'n Out make, these types of things will happen with more frequency.

The other issue is the policy itself. I can understand both sides. One thing we have to understand is that while DLR and WDW are part of the same company, they do get leeway in how the handle situations like this.

Certainly its not absurd to give people another ticket, especially if they can provide a receipt. But my guess as to why DLR and WDW handle it differently is that they have different audiences. Meaning that WDW has a higher percentage of people on vacation, while DLR has a higher percentage of locals and day visitors. I think the potential for abuse is greater with the DLR crowd than with the WDW crowd. Perhaps that is the reason for the different policies.

raidermatt said:
But my guess as to why DLR and WDW handle it differently is that they have different audiences. Meaning that WDW has a higher percentage of people on vacation, while DLR has a higher percentage of locals and day visitors. I think the potential for abuse is greater with the DLR crowd than with the WDW crowd. Perhaps that is the reason for the different policies.

I hope you are not implying that locals in SoCal are more dishonest than travelers to FL?!

I think the main difference is that WDW has a system that allows for verification of the ticket with the actual purchaser (and the ability to cancel out the lost ticket) and DL does not have the same technology AT THIS TIME.

Hm m m and because WDW has this anti-theft techonology for their tickets perhaps the folks visiting FL are expected to be more dishonest than those living in SoCal ;) :rolleyes:

By the way, two things can be equally true:

1-We should all be careful not to lose our tickets.
2-Rude treatment from a CM should be unacceptable.

Also, I didnt' see any comments on the Blue Bayou concerns. I'm at a loss on that one. Why wouldn't they be able to check you in 15 minutes before your reservation? It doesn't mean they have to seat you at that time. But to tell you to wait in line again? I've never heard of anything like that at any restaurant.

I hope you are not implying that locals in SoCal are more dishonest than travelers to FL?!
I'm saying that percentage-wise, it will be more of a problem. I'm not knocking Disneyland (its my favorite park), and I'm not knocking SoCal (I live in NoCal and have friends and relatives in SoCal).

That said, you could be right, in that WDW does have more sophisticated systems in general. Being the bigger "money-maker" they usually get that type of stuff first.

But I'm not sure I see how the ID thing makes a difference. We have APs and I didn't think ID (or the finger scans) were required for regular hopper tickets at WDW. I thought that was only for APs. If not, then the ID thing might be the reason.

If the scans aren't required for Hopper tix at WDW, then it won't make a difference. The original purchaser could still claim to have lost a ticket, then give the replacement ticket to somebody else.

minnietoo said:

I think the main difference is that WDW has a system that allows for verification of the ticket with the actual purchaser (and the ability to cancel out the lost ticket) and DL does not have the same technology AT THIS TIME.

Hm m m and because WDW has this anti-theft techonology for their tickets perhaps the folks visiting FL are expected to be more dishonest than those living in SoCal ;) :rolleyes:

This whole thing is just getting out of hand. Now we are what seven pages in and we are all picking apart the meaning behind what we are saying and assuming we are all accusing each other of thinking this, that or the other. I hope nobody said that WDW travellers are more honest per se. Its just a fact that the vast majority of tickets issued at WDW are linked to two things: your resort room key and your charge card. Sometimes even your upcoming cruise (if you have a Disney Land and Sea Package). Can you imagine having a ticket thats attached to your Visa, you lose it and its a "sorry, too bad for you" attitude. They have a huge number of tourist visitors who are staying there, playing there and charging there so they make a ticket that can do it all and can be replaced if its lost or stolen. Disneyland will hopefully do the same thing. This thread should be closed.

raidermatt said:
Also, I didnt' see any comments on the Blue Bayou concerns. I'm at a loss on that one. Why wouldn't they be able to check you in 15 minutes before your reservation? It doesn't mean they have to seat you at that time. But to tell you to wait in line again? I've never heard of anything like that at any restaurant.

I actually had this exact thing happen to me at Ariels Grotto in August. We were about 15 mins early (it was really hot out) our check in time was 2:30 and we were there just after 2:15. After waiting in line to check in the CM told me to come back at 2:30 to check in. Maybe it was early people like me who were making the line so long - LOL.
Anyway I learned from that experience not to show up more than a couple of minutes early to the high demand spots (like BB or AG). I have never had this happen at WDW, and we have eaten at a lot of very crowded spots over the years and checked in early, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen.

raidermatt said:
But I'm not sure I see how the ID thing makes a difference. We have APs and I didn't think ID (or the finger scans) were required for regular hopper tickets at WDW. I thought that was only for APs. If not, then the ID thing might be the reason.

If the scans aren't required for Hopper tix at WDW, then it won't make a difference. The original purchaser could still claim to have lost a ticket, then give the replacement ticket to somebody else.

I think (based on other posts) that they have a computerized and/or bio system that can link a ticket (any ticket) to the purchaser and thus can void a lost ticket and re-issue a new one. DL doesn't have the technology to do this.

Amy&Dan said:
This whole thing is just getting out of hand. Now we are what seven pages in and we are all picking apart the meaning behind what we are saying and assuming we are all accusing each other of thinking this, that or the other. I hope nobody said that WDW travellers are more honest per se. Its just a fact that the vast majority of tickets issued at WDW are linked to two things: your resort room key and your charge card. Sometimes even your upcoming cruise (if you have a Disney Land and Sea Package). Can you imagine having a ticket thats attached to your Visa, you lose it and its a "sorry, too bad for you" attitude. They have a huge number of tourist visitors who are staying there, playing there and charging there so they make a ticket that can do it all and can be replaced if its lost or stolen. Disneyland will hopefully do the same thing. This thread should be closed.

I guess sarcasim doesn't transfer on the board well. The person I was speaking to didn't seem to be offended.

Again, please don't bash me because you disagree with what I said. This is a discussion board and if we have to sensor our thoughts because someone might disagree - then this really isn't that at all. You (or anyone) may skip a thread that you don't want to be a part of (this is being said in a nice tone).

minnietoo said:
I think (based on other posts) that they have a computerized and/or bio system that can link a ticket (any ticket) to the purchaser and thus can void a lost ticket and re-issue a new one. DL doesn't have the technology to do this.

That is exactly right. And since your ticket is often your charge card as well a room key, they definitely need a system to void that thing out if its lost. At Disneyland your room key (if you are staying onsite), charge slip, and ticket are all three, separate documents. Also, at WDW your ticket if its a room key has your actual name printed right on the front. Every person in the party has a key/ticket if they do package. Even an infant getting in for free will be issued one of these tickets/room keys.

minnietoo said:
I guess sarcasim doesn't transfer on the board well. The person I was speaking to didn't seem to be offended.

Again, please don't bash me because you disagree with what I said. This is a discussion board and if we have to sensor our thoughts because someone might disagree - then this really isn't that at all. You (or anyone) may skip a thread that you don't want to be a part of (this is being said in a nice tone).

Minnietoo, I am not bashing you! I am referring to several posts where things are being taken out of context. As soon as I read some of the posts (not yours) I thought uh oh because some of those things said could be taken several ways. And thanks I guess I will skip out on this one. Its a shame, this board usually does not get this way. I have tried to play fair on both sides but apparently am not doing too well from your standpoint, which I don't think is unusual.

I also want to add that the reason I think the thread should be closed is because I think disboards has a policy that once the original question has been answered and once people start feeling and expressing that they are being attacked, its usually the policy to close it down. This thread has strayed many times and is now in my mind about picking apart what we are all saying. And it seems to me that any questions about tickets at DL vs. WDW have been answered. So again this seems to have run its course. And my tone is quite nice now too, I promise! :sunny:

I stand corrected. I didn't realize the bioscan things were done for MYW/Hoppers as well. So perhaps this is the reason. Shows you how much I pay attention, I just came back from WDW about 6 weeks ago and didn't remember seeing most people do the bioscans.

As for the last few posts about sarcasm and being offended, I'm not sure if anybody is upset with my post or not. If so, I apologize. Just posting my opinion. I have not taken offense at anything directed at me.

minnietoo said:
Sure, don't all the car chases originate from Anaheim with PO'd guests leaving the parks? :rotfl:

You are just trying to defend a bad experience in which you can NEVER win. No mater what you say, the OP had the bad experience and you can not undo it. It's just like if I tried to justify to you why you should be happy about the last bad experience you had. The OP has rationalized the situation and does understand the policy. If the CM could not convey why they can not give out replacement tickets, then their training is very deficient. For any CS application, stating policy is an absolute no no. You should explain why and then give options for solutions if any. Any CS rep should never be argumentative, rude, or condencending. If they can not handle the situation then they need to end the conversation and get a supervisor.

raidermatt said:
I stand corrected. I didn't realize the bioscan things were done for MYW/Hoppers as well. So perhaps this is the reason. Shows you how much I pay attention, I just came back from WDW about 6 weeks ago and didn't remember seeing most people do the bioscans....
I know they were introducing the new bioscans machines and many of the older ones were not even online. It's been a couple of months since our last visit but I don't think they have completly moved over to the new system nor am I sure they are using it for the hopper feature other than for multi-day or seasonal/annual passes. In any event, if you had a receipt for a one day ticket with park hopper option, they can cancel the ticket and issue you a new one. The old ticket would be immediately invalidated for any further park entry. Thus, there would be very limited exposure to fraud.

Amy and Matt - nope not offended. I enjoy a great discussion. Amy you are right - we are moving way off topic and if that's the guideline for closing posts - then that should happen.

Thanks to you and everyone for a great discussion - I actually enjoy things when we can go back and forth and have a little fun along the way. But as you said Amy - things are not always seen the way they are intended when written instead of spoken live.

So again - thanks for the great discussion and I apologize if I was offensive to anyone.

And - let's agree to disagree on some things and still be OK with each other.
(just call me pollyanna) :wave:

Oh and too funny G8Rfan! :rotfl2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter