I think the gas station attendant just charged my gas.....

It seems like this would be a red flag to a credit card company. "Hmm...Joe gets gas at the exact same gas station everyday thirty different times a day."

My guess is that it is access to the pump. I would have asked him.

Damn! Missed that it was a zombie thread! I am usually pretty good at checking the dates. Oh well.

Thanks for the reply. I posted here because it's the first place that came up in my search. Glad someone saw it.

You may be right, but I did ask him; he said it was his cash card. I've seen the access cards; this was a personal card.

Last edited:
YEP!! Our hands stay clean and we stay toasty warm in the winter and we never get rained on!! I LOVE our full service stations!!!:thumbsup2

Your full service stations are the reason my husband never wants to drive through New Jersey again. Lol. Years ago, while driving through, we stopped to get gas. We handed the attendant our card for gas. We ended up with multiple transactions for gas at that location charged to our card. We had to argue with the card company because the charge was listed as "payed at the pump". Took forever to convince the customer service rep that it wasn't us who swiped the card. My husband definitely prefers to pump his own gas.

I realize this is a zombie thread & I didn't read all the posts, but from what I read, I may be the only one who doesn't have a problem with this. (sorry for the major run on sentence:o) From my point of view, anyone working for a gas station must have a low paying job. If the attendant can find a way to benefit from the job, more power to them. If I'm paying cash, I wouldn't have benefited from a cash purchase anyway. Why not let someone making minimum wage or a little more benefit? I suppose I'm all for everyone living a comfortable life, if possible. A stolen CC is a different story. In that case, the employee should face legal consequences.

I'm in NJ and if you go to wawa or pretty much any gas station they all have an access card. If not how would you stop someone from pulling up, pumping gas and taking off without paying? Especially with cash.

That's interesting. Here, you have to either pay with card outside or go inside before you can even start pumping gas. If you go to one place and pay outside with debit, they preauth your card for $1 then charge the actual amount the next day. If you go to another place with debit, they'll preauth your card for $100 then take the rest off in a day or so.

Interesting how different places are set up differently. I would feel bad having someone else pump my gas. Do you tip the person pumping? Such a foreign concept!

If the card was a stolen card, I highly doubt it would be able to use it more then a couple of time over the course of an hour or two at the max.

Gas pumps have been the easiest place to validate a stolen credit card works. There is usually no attendant (NJ is the exception) so if it is flagged a s stolen the perp can just drive off. When a card is reported stolen, the first thing to check is gas purchases. This is why you have to enter your zip code at the pump now.

BTW: I'm not a professional credit card thief. I work at a large bank in network security and have worked with customer satisfaction and fraud.

Most likely, the attendant is paying at the pump using his credit card and using the cash to pay off his credit card. If he is using the Disney rewards card then we might see him in Disney World soon as he can rack up some major Disney Dollars in a hurry. I would think that the gas station would not consider this acceptable and if the credit card company were notified, would revoke the points.

If he pumps 5 $40 fill ups an hour, over the course of a year, he would charge a total of $416,000. $4,160 in Disney Dollars would be nice little vacation each year.
Wouldn't his CC company get suspicious if he were charging that much gas?

That's interesting. Here, you have to either pay with card outside or go inside before you can even start pumping gas. If you go to one place and pay outside with debit, they preauth your card for $1 then charge the actual amount the next day. If you go to another place with debit, they'll preauth your card for $100 then take the rest off in a day or so.

Interesting how different places are set up differently. I would feel bad having someone else pump my gas. Do you tip the person pumping? Such a foreign concept!
Do you tip your cashier? It's their job to pump gas, just like it's a cashier's job to check you out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter