I see there are some board speed questions

W

WebmasterAlex

We have already explained this on the US site but wanted to fill you guys in

Non techie explanation- the software is maxed out

techie explanation- The Vbulletin software is built on top of a mysql database. The tables that it uses, isam, utilize table locking as opposed to row locking. When the boards get slow it is because the table locks can't clear in time. There are several active efforts to port the software to a version of Mysql that uses row locking (innobase tables) as well as postgresql. As SOON as someone has some success we are THERE!
Think your frustrated? I can't post either AND I have everone grumping at me :)

Alex, thank you for taking the time to post this information. I don't understand the technicalities, nor the commercial considerations in making boards like this viable. What I do know is that I am grateful to Pete, the Webmaster, the Moderators and anyone else involved in providing this free service. And it must be so frustrating for you guys that their very success is what causes all the glitches. <i>And</i> you've now got us lot here adding to your problems!

I do hope that progress can be made to free the boards of all these problems (and when you think how fast technology moves you have to feel confident that it can).

At the moment I am still in the numbness and disbelief stages of grieving for the loss of our dedicated boards. I can't really begin to imagine how it must feel for the moderators who worked so hard to make them what they were. It is my fervent hope that one day we will have dedicated UK boards again.

In the meantime, Alex, thanks for giving us our boards here and I'll try hard not to be grumpy!

:)

........ Debbie, I've welled up again. A big cyber hug to you my friend.

:) Big smiley face from me too - You're doing a great job folks, we're just all a bit shell-shocked that's all!!

Thanks for the explanation (not that I understood a word of the technical one mind!!) Alex!

Astrid x

Thank you Deb and Astrid for the appreciation :)

I think we could all do with a generous sprinkling of PD and Magic right now!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

**Methinks I better replenish the Kleenex supplies!**

Things like this come along in life to test us
I feel closer to you guys then ever before
And I have not meet anyone of you
It's nice to be part of a family :)
United we Stand

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter