I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding ifttt, someone on Reddit said, "I think the automated check may have been changed from 23 hours to 25 to prevent people from auto-tweeting at the same time every day. I'm sure this can be automated, but it needs a bit more programming/work than one IFTTT applet."

That would do it. Oh well. Thanks for this.

Regarding ifttt, someone on Reddit said, "I think the automated check may have been changed from 23 hours to 25 to prevent people from auto-tweeting at the same time every day. I'm sure this can be automated, but it needs a bit more programming/work than one IFTTT applet."

I was able to log onto my twitter account and there was a retweet icon. I clicked on that and got the points immediately. Looks like we might have to go through the steps until someone finds a workaround.

I noticed that I didn't get Marriott points today either. So I manually tweeted at 2:48pm. So I was thinking about what to do to get around it and I came up with an idea that might work. I say might, because honestly I don't fully understand how the service that they use works and what exactly changed. The idea that the "automated check" changed from 23 hours to 25 hours is really just speculation. And in my mind, makes very little sense, because this would mean that you would have to tweet at progressively later times each day to still get points. So not sure, but this is what I am going to try and I will report back on how it is working.

Basically, to get around it, I am going to set up a second IFTTT applet and send an automated tweet to Marriott twice a day instead of once. So for example, I will tweet at 5:45am and 8:15am (just slightly over 2 hours apart). I will make the messages a bit different, but I will obviously I will keep the necessary hashtags. I guess this might slightly increase my changes of being seen as a bot, so I am going to try this out with DH's brand new Marriott account, rather than my account.

Can i ask a question about which credit card to open for cash back? I just opened the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa and will get $200 signing bonus for $1000 spent first three months. I got a TD Bank offer today i don't think I'll do, $150 for spending $500 first 90 days, it's only 1% cash back, i don't think I'm interested in that. Anyone know a 2% cash back card i can look into?

fidelity visa
Citi double cash

I actually have a Fidelity Visa.... I don't like where the money is deposited (is it 2%? I haven't used it in so long). I'll look into the citi double cash. Thank you!

my dad has one, where do they deposit your money? Would like to know.

There's other options but it varies on what you have and want to do. For example, if you have BOA and have investments with them, you can earn a pretty high return if your looking for cash back.

Hey everyone! I'm looking for some advice from all of you knowledgeable credit card people :) I still have my first credit card I ever opened which was over 13 years ago. I never use it and it has a yearly fee of $55. It offers no rewards or cash back. Would my credit score, which is in the high 700s, take a big hit if I closed it? I have a card that was opened 11 years ago but that's just a store credit card. I am the primary card holder on one other account, which was opened 2 years ago, and an authorized user on 2 of my husband's accounts. Should I apply for a new card before closing the account? Hopefully this makes sense! Thank you!

So I just got a statement in today after a nasal procedure my son had. We're going to be paying about $1800 towards this bill. I'm definitely going to pay with a credit card, then use our HSA account for a reimbursement. Currently not working toward minimum spend on any cards and I'd hate to let this big expense go to waste without putting it towards a minimum. Ideas on a possible next card for me or DH?

We're both at 4/24 right now, so I'm thinking Chase would be our best option to round out the 5th slot. I got the CSR in January, the Disney Visa in February, then CIP in July. DH got his CSR and SW Premier in February, SW Plus and Disney Visa in March. Originally I wanted to shoot for the CSP next, but with the new Chase rules that doesn't appear to be an option. Boo!! Really wanted another UR bonus to beef up what we have and possibly use the to book a deluxe WDW resort next March/April.

As far as travel, we've really been using our UR towards Disney stays since we started earning them. Since we got APs in June, I'm burning them up and getting as many trips as we can for the least OOP. The SW CP has helped a ton with that. We have a trip to Vegas planned for February next year, but we're traveling with family who already booked at The Flamingo, so that's where we'll be booking our room too. The only other trip I see on the horizon is possibly Hawaii. Our 10th anniversary is in March 2019, so if I can make that trip happen for as little OOP as possible DH would be thrilled.

my dad has one, where do they deposit your money? Would like to know.

Into a mutual fund account my husband uses for retirement savings. So it's not money I'll see any time soon. lol. they will deposit it into (I think) any account you have with them, but all of our accounts with them are not liquid.

Hey everyone! I'm looking for some advice from all of you knowledgeable credit card people :) I still have my first credit card I ever opened which was over 13 years ago. I never use it and it has a yearly fee of $55. It offers no rewards or cash back. Would my credit score, which is in the high 700s, take a big hit if I closed it? I have a card that was opened 11 years ago but that's just a store credit card. I am the primary card holder on one other account, which was opened 2 years ago, and an authorized user on 2 of my husband's accounts. Should I apply for a new card before closing the account? Hopefully this makes sense! Thank you!

if its your only credit, it would take a big hit to your credit report. Your AoA stops, your total utilization goes down. What store credit card is it? There is usually a no fee card... USUALLY.

As for first time credit cards, your best idea would probably be chase cards. Chase has a rule called 5/24 where you will be denied a credit card if you had applied for any 5 cards in the last 2 years... CSP/CSR would be your ideal first. Freedom cards would probably be 2nd. Marriott is another choice, SW is another too. For SW, you should only apply for this card if you have a companion to do companion pass.

Of course, it would all depend on your local airport and your choice of airlines. Knowing more details will help in that matter. ie if your a delta hub nearby, maybe amex MR points is worth it to you.

Ouch! That is an awful fee to be paying. Yes, closing it would cause you to take a hit to your score as @Albort said since it will reduce your average age of accounts which plays a big role.

Does that card have a no fee version you can downgrade to or a no fee card that you can product change to? This would keep your account open so that you you don't mess with your AoA.

Definitely apply for new card(s) before closing this one if downgrading or product changing is not an option. When you open the new cards your credit utilization ratio drops and it helps increase your score. I will second the advice from @Albort - get your Chase UR cards first if you are going to join the hobby. They are listed below:

I didn't get the points again today so I deleted the tweet and then tweeted the same thing. I got the points instantly. My bot has been tweeting at 9am but yesterday when it didn't give me the points I tweeted again at 10am. Today the bot tweeted at 9 and I tweeted again at about 9:02. So I don't think you need to wait 25 hours before tweeting again, but it is very weird how they aren't crediting the points when the bot tweets.

if its your only credit, it would take a big hit to your credit report. Your AoA stops, your total utilization goes down. What store credit card is it? There is usually a no fee card... USUALLY.

As for first time credit cards, your best idea would probably be chase cards. Chase has a rule called 5/24 where you will be denied a credit card if you had applied for any 5 cards in the last 2 years... CSP/CSR would be your ideal first. Freedom cards would probably be 2nd. Marriott is another choice, SW is another too. For SW, you should only apply for this card if you have a companion to do companion pass.

Of course, it would all depend on your local airport and your choice of airlines. Knowing more details will help in that matter. ie if your a delta hub nearby, maybe amex MR points is worth it to you.

Ouch! That is an awful fee to be paying. Yes, closing it would cause you to take a hit to your score as @Albort said since it will reduce your average age of accounts which plays a big role.

Does that card have a no fee version you can downgrade to or a no fee card that you can product change to? This would keep your account open so that you you don't mess with your AoA.

Definitely apply for new card(s) before closing this one if downgrading or product changing is not an option. When you open the new cards your credit utilization ratio drops and it helps increase your score. I will second the advice from @Albort - get your Chase UR cards first if you are going to join the hobby. They are listed below:

Thank you Albort and Calypso726!

I have three cards that I am the primary account holder on. The first is a 1st Financial Bank USA Visa card that is usually marketed towards students. That is the one I opened 13 years ago and has a $55 annual fee, but that's only come about in the last few years. The store card is from Victoria's Secret, which was opened 11 years ago and has no annual fee. The third card is the AMEX Delta Gold Skymiles opened just over 2 years ago and has a $95 annual fee. I am the authorized user on a Citi Card opened 7 years ago and a Chase Disney Card opened 2 years ago-no annual fees on either card. We pay off our balances monthly. We don't have a whole lot of monthly spend so It could be difficult to meet some of the larger spend requirements for various bonuses.

Delta and Allegiant are the two airlines that fly out of the airport closest to me. If I drive an hour then I have the choice of Delta, American Airlines, Allegiant, and United.

I will look into the Chase cards. Thank you again for your help :)

I didn't get the points again today so I deleted the tweet and then tweeted the same thing. I got the points instantly. My bot has been tweeting at 9am but yesterday when it didn't give me the points I tweeted again at 10am. Today the bot tweeted at 9 and I tweeted again at about 9:02. So I don't think you need to wait 25 hours before tweeting again, but it is very weird how they aren't crediting the points when the bot tweets.

Same for me. Anyone know how to stop the bot? I don't mind just manually tweeting it everyday, I'll do it the same time I do my Bing Rewards.

Equifax. And depending on how much you trust the company your info may have been compromised a lot earlier than July as this came to light recently: http://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/19/equifax-reveals-another-security-hack/ They were actually hacked back in Mar, but kinda? maybe? ish. wasn't related to the latest hack.

Only you can decide if you want to freeze your reports :) I watch my reports through Credit Karma and just set up the Experian app to monitor that one, idk how that's gonna work- I'm still a bit confused on that one tbh- so I basically have all three covered now. I'm not freezing but I'm not recommended others follow me- everyone needs to evaluate it for themselves. Also remember there might be costs associated with freezing/unfreezing if you aren't a victim of ID theft so know what you're getting into there.
ahhh Yes equifax! (I'm losing it) thanks for sharing your advice- experian has their own app to monitor?

Same for me. Anyone know how to stop the bot? I don't mind just manually tweeting it everyday, I'll do it the same time I do my Bing Rewards.

You can do this a few ways. You can go into Twitter, under Privacy and Settings you hit Applications and then Revoke Access for IFTTT. Or you can go into the IFTTT website, click on Applets and disable or delete the applets. Either will make the auto-tweets stop. I would probably just revoke access via Twitter so that you still have the applets available to you if we can figure out how to make them work again.

I ran an Applet this morning at 5:45am, 2.5 hours before I would normally tweet. It had a different message, but still didn't credit. I let the 8:15am tweet run too, but no credit. I then manually tweeted and got credit within 1 minute. Not sure how they would even be able to tell if it was posted via the applet, but they have obviously gotten smart to people's game. I will manually tweet each day and if I figure out another automatic system, then I will report back.

You can do this a few ways. You can go into Twitter, under Privacy and Settings you hit Applications and then Revoke Access for IFTTT. Or you can go into the IFTTT website, click on Applets and disable or delete the applets. Either will make the auto-tweets stop. I would probably just revoke access via Twitter so that you still have the applets available to you if we can figure out how to make them work again.

I ran an Applet this morning at 5:45am, 2.5 hours before I would normally tweet. It had a different message, but still didn't credit. I let the 8:15am tweet run too, but no credit. I then manually tweeted and got credit within 1 minute. Not sure how they would even be able to tell if it was posted via the applet, but they have obviously gotten smart to people's game. I will manually tweet each day and if I figure out another automatic system, then I will report back.

Thanks for your help! Do you know if automatic retweets are working, or do we need to do them manually as well?

Made my "budget" Vegas trip happen for my family of 4 using points and miles. We are going in February 2018 for a quick 4 night trip. I had some travel bank funds ($200) in United thanks to my AMEX Platinum airline reimbursement credit so roundtrip tickets for 4 people from PHL to Vegas was $600.00 out of pocket. Used my 2 free night Hyatt certificates to book 2 nights at the Delano/Mandalay Bay in a suite. Used 60,000 ihg points from the IHG credit card bonus I just got to book a night at the Venetian /Palazzo in a Bella suite. I do have to pay resorts fees but I'll take it.

I need one more night and I have Chase UR points to burn but I don't want to book an expensive night anywhere since we arrive late that night (so kids can go to school day of flight). May just transfer points to Hyatt to book a Hyatt place for 5,000 UR.

Last edited:
ok, so I'm not getting the points any more either, just what is it that I should be tweeting everyday to get these 50pts, since the ifft thing doesnt seem to be working? new to this whole twitter thing, but want those Marriott points, please

I let the 8:15am tweet run too, but no credit. I then manually tweeted and got credit within 1 minute. Not sure how they would even be able to tell if it was posted via the applet, but they have obviously gotten smart to people's game. I will manually tweet each day and if I figure out another automatic system, then I will report back.

Same here. I received the daily credit through Monday, but nothing yesterday or today. I just manually tweeted and got instant credit. They're hip to our jive. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter