I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Ok, so, this has me thinking...

If you change an AA flight to recoup points but it's the same itinerary, do you have to select seats again?

Our Hawaii trip was booked when Hubby had higher status and we got to pick the bigger seats with the drinks for free. He has since lost that status and those seats would be upgrade costs x 5.

So far, despite a couple of time changes, we haven't had seat changes so we're still in the good ones for all 4 legs out and back. If getting points back would mean having to lose those seats or pay to upgrade back, it's not even worth my time to look...
Two thoughts: with SW, you can actually do just a change and get a refund, no need to do a new booking. I love that, it's so fast on the app.

In contrast, AA and Delta won't show your original flight if you try to "change," so it's annoying because that would be an easy way to see if prices dropped and get a refund right away, like SW. Instead, you have to do a pretend booking to see if the price changed. Then cancel the original and rebook at the lower price if lower. Which means you do have to choose your seats again.

I don't know what Airline you're flying, but you probably would have to cancel and rebook?

I just got hit with the AF for my CSR. I’m going to product change it to a freedom flex. (Just got it last year)

How long do I have to wait to change one of my Freedoms to a CSR? Can I do it like a week later? I have some stuff to book and like to use my CSR.

That's good to know as we won't be checking luggage and will each have a carry-on. If we board before Main and Economy, I suppose it won't be an issue getting that dedicated space.
I don't think this is true (that if you purchase Delta Comfort Plus, you will board before Main and Economy so won't have an issue getting the overhead bin space which is allegedly dedicated for your type of ticket.)

Here is the list of Delta boarding groups up to and including Comfort Plus. So if you book Comfort Plus, these people are getting on ahead of you:

Pre-Boarding
- customers needing assistance or additional time to board
- active Duty U.S. military with ID
- Delta 360 members

Zone 1
- Delta One customers
- Delta First Class Customers

Zone 2
- Diamond Medallion Members
- Delta Premium Select customers
- Early access for customers traveling with car seats and strollers

Zone 3
- Delta Comfort Plus customers

(I'm not including zones 4-8)

https://www.delta.com/us/en/check-in-security/boarding-priority

Also
https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-air-lines-new-boarding-groups/

I don't think this is true (that if you purchase Delta Comfort Plus, you will board before Main and Economy so won't have an issue getting the overhead bin space which is allegedly dedicated for your type of ticket.)

Here is the list of Delta boarding groups up to and including Comfort Plus. So if you book Comfort Plus, these people are getting on ahead of you:

Pre-Boarding
- customers needing assistance or additional time to board
- active Duty U.S. military with ID
- Delta 360 members

Zone 1
- Delta One customers
- Delta First Class Customers

Zone 2
- Diamond Medallion Members
- Delta Premium Select customers
- Early access for customers traveling with car seats and strollers

Zone 3
- Delta Comfort Plus customers

(I'm not including zones 4-8)

https://www.delta.com/us/en/check-in-security/boarding-priority

Also
https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-air-lines-new-boarding-groups/

I always fly C+ on delta and always board in my group and have never had a problem with bin space above my seat. The groups didn't change they just put them all into zones since before some of the early stuff wasn't in an actual group.

Even flying to/from MCO it's fine because most of the people preboarding are in main. You aren't having issues and need to gate check until later zones, what those are now I don't know but if you are in zone 6 or above I'd be concerned. They do sometimes start gate checking when there's still room on board too. I've also read of bags in 1st or C+ bins getting moved if someone in those sections board late and they find out the bag is for someone in main.

Thinking ahead for my next Amex card. Need something to hold MRs. I have the biz gold. I was looking at the no AF biz card (BBP). Can you still transfer MRs to partners with that card or should I keep the biz gold or look for something else?
Last month I got the Blue Business Plus with a 50K Sub for $8k in 3 months. No AF and earns 2x MR on all purchases. I plan to keep this card to hold my AMEX MR if I close the Biz Gold I got earlier this year. You can transfer to partners with this card.

Last edited:
I recently cancelled & rebooked an award ticket since it had dropped 20K. The booking was originally booked for three pax, but I only changed my ticket just in case something went wrong. Well...the miles for all three award tickets were refunded. I panicked, thinking that even though I'd checked and double checked to select only my ticket, that somehow I had cancelled all of our tickets. And then I kept getting an error when I tried to rebook my ticket. Eventually I successfully rebooked my ticket through the app. And the other two tickets seemed to still be intact, but the refunded award miles for them were still in the account too. I keep checking back over and over and the miles are still there. I don't want to attempt it again for the other two tickets because I really don't know what will happen, but since it seems at this time that they ended up being "free" there's no need for me to try to capture a lower fare for them. I'm not going to say which airline this was with because I still can't really believe those miles (shy of 400K) are going to stay in the account.
Might be worth calling or chatting to confirm that those 2 passengers are "ticketed." I don't think you have to explain why, maybe just saying it's an award booking and you're just confirming that each passenger is ticketed. I have had sort of phantom booking/pnr codes look like a flight is booked, but it's sort of just a shell and the tickets aren't issued.

ok thanks, I looked- if it's called China Air,etc, is that only for passengers on those airlines? Or are all 3 an option? I have to figure out what terminal our flights will be in
We generally use the Centurion lounge at SFO, so I don't know much about Priority Pass lounges but we were in the China Air one last summer when the AF/KLM lounge was under renovation. It was nice, but not as nice as the AF/KLM one IMHO. DD has managed to use the AF/KLM one as a PP traveler (ie. not flying in J) a few times. These are all in the International Terminal. Good to know which terminal you'll be in (some domestic flights use the Int. terminal for some reason (including our SFO>HNL flight last month).

I recently cancelled & rebooked an award ticket since it had dropped 20K. The booking was originally booked for three pax, but I only changed my ticket just in case something went wrong. Well...the miles for all three award tickets were refunded. I panicked, thinking that even though I'd checked and double checked to select only my ticket, that somehow I had cancelled all of our tickets. And then I kept getting an error when I tried to rebook my ticket. Eventually I successfully rebooked my ticket through the app. And the other two tickets seemed to still be intact, but the refunded award miles for them were still in the account too. I keep checking back over and over and the miles are still there. I don't want to attempt it again for the other two tickets because I really don't know what will happen, but since it seems at this time that they ended up being "free" there's no need for me to try to capture a lower fare for them. I'm not going to say which airline this was with because I still can't really believe those miles (shy of 400K) are going to stay in the account.

I hope it all works out. We had something similar happen with a WA resort (they neglected to take the 400k+ points for our stay). I think it's because night 1 was using a FNC, with the next 4 nights on points. They took the FNC, but we waited for a year and they never took the points. It was an actual FREE stay! We have since spent those points (at the same resort a year later LOL). I still don't want to name it in public because I don't want to draw their attention to their mistake. :rotfl:

If this is the airline I think it is, Flyertalk DPs suggest that they'll eventually take the miles. Sounds rare that they never do, but a possibility. 🤞 You probably already plan to do this, but you'll want to keep the miles in your account until after the flight.

I've had weird stuff happen with hotel points. Once they took it around check-in, once they never did.

ok thanks, I looked- if it's called China Air,etc, is that only for passengers on those airlines? Or are all 3 an option? I have to figure out what terminal our flights will be in

You don't need to be flying the airline to use the lounge with PP, but it's restricted to certain hours and they may refuse you due to space constraints. We had that happen at the SFO China Airlines lounge before.

Would also really appreciate any advice on flights to Costa Rica. I’m in the Boston area in between BOS and PVD. But willing to reposition. I don’t have any AA miles. But have SW and plan to get CP at the end of the year. I also have URs and MRs.
Any hotel recommendations for the Manuel Antonio area in Costa Rica? I have a specific week in April 2025 to go (school vacation). Also have a party of 5 (2 adults, 3 teens) which does make it trickier. I think I’ve decided we’ll just stay in one place and Manuel Antonio seems to make sense - I think. Or for those who have been would you suggest a different area? Is it totally worth it to do two different hotels in different areas? I have lots of URs so think I’ll probably end up booking through the portal. Would have loved the andaz papagayo, but it’s not available on points.
We loved every area in CR we've stayed at but have been to Manuel Antonio twice. The park is great, lots of other stuff close enough for day trips. Last year we stayed at Los Altos Resort which would be perfect for you. It's a Hyatt property but the rooms are literally like condos. Full kitchen and living room, 3 bedrooms, one with en suite bath plus a bath between the other bedrooms and a powder room. We also booked a private sailing cruise and other excursions plus airport transport thru the UR portal.
As for flights, we flew SW last year. Had booked AA but they discontinued nonstop flights from Chicago and canceled our booked flight. SW had the best options for us but I'd go with whatever airline has nonstop if possible. Anything with layovers makes a long day as it's a 2-3 hour drive to the airport in San Jose.

If you change an AA flight to recoup points but it's the same itinerary, do you have to select seats again?
If you booked on AA miles, you have to cancel and rebook. You can’t change, so yes you’ll have to reselect seats.
We loved every area in CR we've stayed at but have been to Manuel Antonio twice. The park is great, lots of other stuff close enough for day trips. Last year we stayed at Los Altos Resort which would be perfect for you. It's a Hyatt property but the rooms are literally like condos. Full kitchen and living room, 3 bedrooms, one with en suite bath plus a bath between the other bedrooms and a powder room. We also booked a private sailing cruise and other excursions plus airport transport thru the UR portal.
Didn’t Los Altos leave Hyatt rewards program? They are part of the SLH and I’m pretty sure they are no longer taking Hyatt reward bookings. Otherwise yeah Los Altos would have been a perfect place for them.
Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s any Hyatt properties in MA anymore :( which is a real bummer because we also loved the area and Los Altos and I would have planned a return in a heartbeat!

I love, love, love Yellowstone. You need to be prepared for lots of driving, though. Everything is far apart and often there are wildlife jams on the road. I recommend Janet Chapple's Yellowstone Treasures as a reference book. It has maps, points of interest, hikes, milestone markers...

June is lovely as you'll get mostly nice weather and the long daylight hours so you can see a lot in a day, plus the babies! Do not drive at night. Too many chances to run into wildlife, literally. I'd also try to take some time for Grand Tetons. It might be my favorite park.

I always suggest staying in the park, we split between Old Faithful area and Canyon area. Inside the park - little to no amenities - no AC, no TV, no WIFI (sometimes you can get a signal at a VC but not like you can stream media). You can stay outside the park and maybe cheaper but you are trading time spent in the car to get into the park vs money. There is nothing like walking over to Old Faithful in the morning to see it erupt!

The NPS app is good and you can download to use offline (see above, no WiFi).

if you stay in the park, use Xanterra to book direct. People fall for some scams booking on other sites. It looks like there is still lots of availability in June. First step I'd do is book lodging. They do charge first night as a deposit but you can cancel up to 30 days prior to your stay.
https://secure.yellowstonenationalp...01-2024&nights=1&adults=1&children=0&rateCode

Enjoy the summer, whatever plans you make.
In looking at the in park facilities, it looks like you could do the Grand Loop and stay 1-2 nights at Mammoth Hot Springs, Old Faithful and Canyon Village. How much time and which resorts did you do? Would 5-6 nights be reasonable?

If you booked on AA miles, you have to cancel and rebook. You can’t change, so yes you’ll have to reselect seats.

Didn’t Los Altos leave Hyatt rewards program? They are part of the SLH and I’m pretty sure they are no longer taking Hyatt reward bookings. Otherwise yeah Los Altos would have been a perfect place for them.
Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s any Hyatt properties in MA anymore :( which is a real bummer because we also loved the area and Los Altos and I would have planned a return in a heartbeat!
I didn't realize/forgot there was a change. However it does look like Los Altos is bookable through the Chase portal.
5F584E72-6AD6-4412-832D-D8C6E76C1130.jpeg

@KPK02090 Los Altos did leave Hyatt, unfortunately. SLH will be joining Hilton, but they're not bookable yet. Once they make it into the system, it'll be bookable with points just like any other Hilton, including 5th night free and status benefits. Los Altos with Hyatt awards used to charge for extra people above 2, not sure how it'll work with Hilton.

In looking at the in park facilities, it looks like you could do the Grand Loop and stay 1-2 nights at Mammoth Hot Springs, Old Faithful and Canyon Village. How much time and which resorts did you do? Would 5-6 nights be reasonable?
Here is a link to my Tripadvisor trip report https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...llowstone_National_Park_Wyoming.html#76386176

I can't believe it was 7 years ago!

We did 2 nights at Old Faithful Snow Lodge Cabins and 2 nights at Canyon Lodge Cabins. I found (at that time) the cabins were a little cheaper than lodge rooms. We did western cabins, not rustic (ie have to go outside to a communal bathroom). 5-6 nights would be great. I had to make some last minute adjustments to my plans so we were left with the 4 nights. I wish we had had more.

Might be worth calling or chatting to confirm that those 2 passengers are "ticketed." I don't think you have to explain why, maybe just saying it's an award booking and you're just confirming that each passenger is ticketed. I have had sort of phantom booking/pnr codes look like a flight is booked, but it's sort of just a shell and the tickets aren't issued.
Yeah, I would be worried. @platamama at least go find that FT thread mentioned by @wanderlust7 to see if you're in the same boat.

Just got off the phone with Hilton Honors. Between dd and I we had 2 FNCs expiring in early August (I had to cancel ds's trip to Paris for the French Open because neither of us were able to get tickets despite getting up at 3:45am twice and joining a virtual queue :headache:). I begged the first CSR to extend the FNCs and she wanted to, but her system wouldn't allow. She put me through to an amazing supervisor who was able to extend both FNCs for me! I added a night to each of my upcoming stays: the Umana LXR in Bali in September and the Aleph Curio Collection in Rome (I was incredibly lucky that both properties had base rooms on points available).

This morning I had to call AC to see when the Priority Reward (get biz class seat for half the points) was expiring (for ds's flight home from Paris). She told me that it wasn't expiring until next year, which I sensed was incorrect, but despite me insisting that that date couldn't be right, she said her system was showing her an expiry date of March, 2025. So I went ahead and cancelled his return flight from Paris, but of course the Priority Reward didn't re-populate. Turns out that it has indeed expired, but once again I had an amazing CSR; she called her back-end department (without me even asking) and explained what happened. They said that they could see where the confusion stemmed from and were able to issue a ticket for ds to return from London in December (we are going to try for another Arsenal match) for half the points but without the Priority Reward. The CSR said that this ticket cannot be re-issued or changed so I really, really need for there to be an Arsenal home match around mid-December since I have already booked flights and hotel (schedule comes out next month).

I've had a good day with excellent CSRs going above and beyond for me and for that I am very grateful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter