I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I would like to use my Chase URs to book a few activities. Specifically, Kualoa Ranch tour in Oahu and a sled dog excursion on our Alaskan cruise. I have never used URs for excursions and I think I have a little fear I show up to the activity and they are like “ We don’t have you on our list, too bad.” However, I’m getting a little tired of not taking advantage of the CSR 1.5 redemption.
I'd be cautious with booking an excursion for an Alaska cruise. Having returned from one this month, I did most of ours through the cruiseline and only one non-cruise line excursion. With the privately booked excursion - which was wonderful - we were returning to the ship with what we thought was plenty of time but the line to ride the gondola back to our dock was way longer than we anticipated and we risked the ship leaving without us. Fortunately, the gondola operators called out for anyone in the line going to our ship and we were rushed onto the next available gondola and there was no problem. That was entirely our responsibility since we were just exploring on our own after the excursion was over, and we had no idea that there would be a Disney line wait to get back to our dock.

I also caught covid on the cruise and was isolated to our cabin.* I had booked over $1000 worth of activities through the cruiseline for those days I couldn't leave our room. Because I had booked through the cruiseline, all of that got refunded to my onboard account and I got a refund to the cc on file when we departed. This wouldn't have happened if I'd booked privately because these were last minute cancelations, like within 2 hours of the start of one.

* I did a writeup about our cruise here for anyone interested -
https://www.disboards.com/threads/b...vancouver-1st-timer-to-rc-and-alaska.3918211/

I would like to use my Chase URs to book a few activities. Specifically, Kualoa Ranch tour in Oahu and a sled dog excursion on our Alaskan cruise. I have never used URs for excursions and I think I have a little fear I show up to the activity and they are like “ We don’t have you on our list, too bad.” However, I’m getting a little tired of not taking advantage of the CSR 1.5 redemption.
I used it for excursions on a pre-Covid trip. The tour operators communicated with me via email about any changes. Never showed up to be told I wasn’t on their list. My hiccup was I had one cancel on me so I had some frustrating back and forth with Chase to get a refund but they eventually gave it to me.

If by "not really going to use it" you mean the points from a particular loyalty program, I'd mention two things: 1) If its a brand with a large footprint like Hilton, you never know when you might need a backup option to your preferred brand (Hyatt/Marriott/IHG/Airbnb), and 2) If the points would eventually expire, you can always book travel for someone else as a gift.

The Hilton line of cards through Amex are on elevated offers through July 19th and also include Free Night certificates on the HHonors, Surpass and Business cards: https://apply.americanexpress.com/en-us/hilton-cobrand-lto-april23/page/92
Thinking of getting one mid July before the offers expire but can't decide on whether to do the biz one to avoid taking a 5/24 slot.

Here's the travel hacking portion of our Alaska cruise:

Flights
UA nonstop DEN-YVR Economy RT for 2 - $3260 cash fare.
Paid 87,400 UA miles total + $300 Travel Bank (from Amex plats) + $114 OOP for taxes/fees
Got a surprisingly good 3.3 cpp avg for UA miles on this redemption

Hotel
Hyatt Regency Vancouver 1KG $818 cash rate + $62 free breakfast for Globalist.
Paid 18,000 Hyatt points and $0 OOP
4.9 cpp on Hyatt points, yay for Globalist

Royal Caribbean Cruise 7nt balcony cabin + RC specialty dining/spa/excursions/coffee card
Spent $5053 on Amex cards
Earned 136,667 MRs by using Amex offers on five separate cards, some during MSR and retention offer spend. Worth $1503 if doing Schwab cash out (but will probably transfer to travel partners at some point or use the Biz Plat 35% rebate for flights)
Received $200 OBC from Amex for using a Plat card, plus $235 OBC from TA

Bottom line
Cash value of trip: $9628 (not including souvenirs or dining in ports of call)
OOP cost if I cash in MRs at 1.1cpp: $3964
Savings due to using points & miles: $5564

If by "not really going to use it" you mean the points from a particular loyalty program, I'd mention two things: 1) If its a brand with a large footprint like Hilton, you never know when you might need a backup option to your preferred brand (Hyatt/Marriott/IHG/Airbnb), and 2) If the points would eventually expire, you can always book travel for someone else as a gift.

The Hilton line of cards through Amex are on elevated offers through July 19th and also include Free Night certificates on the HHonors, Surpass and Business cards: https://apply.americanexpress.com/en-us/hilton-cobrand-lto-april23/page/92
You bring up a great point here and one I didn't really consider. $95 for a Hilton card with an elevated offer seems like a pretty good deal.

So DD got rejected for cap one savor student card - bummer! Do you think it's okay if she applies immediately for a Discover student card? Or should we wait for some period of time?

I went a little crazy last night and made reservations for DH & I to go to Bora Bora in 2024. Originally I was targeting the Maldives, but DH was concerned over how far that is from the US, so I started looking at Bora Bora instead. I have us flying out on UA Polaris lie flat J in the Dreamliner, staying 2 nts in Papeete (day trip to Moorea?), 2 nts at Conrad Bora Bora, and 5 nts at St. Regis Bora Bora - all booked on points & miles for a trip that so far rings in just shy of $25K. I am still trying to figure out the flight home, and that has me a little nervous...

That has us in French Polynesia for 9 nights and I'm wondering if that's too long? Tagging @wanderlust7 and @calypso726 since Calypso was just there and Wanderlust was there last year. Thoughts/advice?
It sounds amazing. And no nine days isn't too long. I'd likely find a way to add at least an extra night in each destination . 😬

We leave for Japan in 48 hours, I hope I have prepared everything.
Any last minute tips? We have Ubigi on all our phones, I've added Suica card to my phone (everyone else wants a card that they'll keep as souvenirs). We have passports, I have printouts of everything we pre-booked. We usually carry refillable water bottles with us, but should we leave those at home?
Have an amazing time!
Got our flight to Japan booked with AA!! We took 3 out of the 4 seats. We were able to book seats by the window too. Now we have to wait and hope to get a good return flight. We have enough to book through BA if we have to.
So excited for you!!! What a relief it must be! What airport did you end up flying out of?

I tried to call last night, but the number I called wanted the last four digits of my card, but didn't accept it; then it wanted the entire card number which I of course don't have... so I gave up at that point simply because as you say, there is no way I am going to get it in time.
It's not a huge deal... I'm just irritated by my poor timing (as usual). I had been dithering about applying for another card. Had I just done it weeks ago when I should have, then I wouldn't be having this issue!

If it's not your first biz card it would have the last 4 in your acct if it's showing.

In the future just keep hitting zero or use the last 4 of a different card. It doesn't have to be for that card you just need to get to a person. Or you can call the status line and get to a person through it.

I went a little crazy last night and made reservations for DH & I to go to Bora Bora in 2024. Originally I was targeting the Maldives, but DH was concerned over how far that is from the US, so I started looking at Bora Bora instead. I have us flying out on UA Polaris lie flat J in the Dreamliner, staying 2 nts in Papeete (day trip to Moorea?), 2 nts at Conrad Bora Bora, and 5 nts at St. Regis Bora Bora - all booked on points & miles for a trip that so far rings in just shy of $25K. I am still trying to figure out the flight home, and that has me a little nervous...

That has us in French Polynesia for 9 nights and I'm wondering if that's too long? Tagging @wanderlust7 and @calypso726 since Calypso was just there and Wanderlust was there last year. Thoughts/advice?
I think you’ll be fine, do the day trip to Moorea if you’re doing 2 nights in Papeete back to back.

Don’t forget AS has a partnership with Air Tahiti Nui for more options on flights. I did Air Tahiti Nui J on my way to PPT (but my domestic connection to SEA was Economy).

Has been forever since I commented, I have been just silently reading along enjoying because we churn slow and our travel doesn't ever feel interesting enough to share haha

I tried searching but didn't find anything-

I've done the Wyndham to Caesars to CCL/HCL match. Anyone actually get cruise offers this way? Whats realistic to expect?
ME! But I did all the matching in AC too, so I got the Ocean's Prime match which comes w/ a cruise. I think I got a free offer from CCL and HCL. I'll have to go back at my emails and look. But pretty sure I got that because I had the freebie coming from Ocean's Prime.

If it's not your first biz card it would have the last 4 in your acct if it's showing.

In the future just keep hitting zero or use the last 4 of a different card. It doesn't have to be for that card you just need to get to a person. Or you can call the status line and get to a person through it.
Oh... well I am dumb. Thank you.

I don't think I've ever called Chase before for anything!

😂 wasn’t me, but thanks for the heads up. We’re heading to Disneyland next month so I’ll be needing some gift cards.
😂 wasn’t me, but thanks for the heads up. We’re heading to Disneyland next month so I’ll be needing some gift cards.
DD and some work people were at a conference in LA this past week and she and a buddy were going to go to Disneyland today. However they had second thoughts and skipped it when they found out the ticket was $170. I don't know if that's a regular price or where they were buying it. Instead they changed flights and are on the way back now, arriving sometime before morning to BWI. Maybe next time....

DD and some work people were at a conference in LA this past week and she and a buddy were going to go to Disneyland today. However they had second thoughts and skipped it when they found out the ticket was $170. I don't know if that's a regular price or where they were buying it. Instead they changed flights and are on the way back now, arriving sometime before morning to BWI. Maybe next time....
Yep, you inspired me to check our date (just going for 1 day) $244/each for a 1 day Park Hopper. $179 without the hopper. Disney has become like buying gas, I know I need it, so I just don’t look at the price 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter