I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
UGH! I can not score VGC or MCGC at any Staples near me anymore. I mean I went Sunday at noon to one, and today at noon to another one and none to be found. Normally I hate the Staple GCs but w/ the new CIC, I wouldn't mind the 5x on cards I'd use on my taxes. Worse case I'm using the card on my taxes, I just won't be getting 5x. So I guess I need to hope for OD to do a card deal again.

Also I wasn't thinking about the fact the CIC comes w/ 0% for a year. The ex isn't too keen on braces for 2 in the next 16-20 mos. I put the down payment on my CIC#2 (from last year) so there are still a few months of 0% left. So I know the ex was happy about that. So I told him, he'll have some flexibility w/ paying off the monthly charges too, LOL.

My CIC #2, just was given a CL increase to $7k. Can I move some of that to the new CIC#3 so it can hit the MSR?

UC isn't middle of nowhere. I meant no hotels walking distance, there are a few restaurants. But it's not an area I'd be walking around at night.

We saw Pink there 9 years ago and it made me nervous walking around down there. Dh thought it would get us a cab faster If we walked a few blocks away. Eek. Didn’t enjoy that at all at midnight.
I'm hearing from others Chicago is not what it was even 2 years ago, which makes me sad :( I'm guessing it will likely be just me and my 17yo. So I'm not sure if I'll walk/uber w/ her to the show. For BTS in Vegas I walked her to the venue, then went to Mandalay Bay to wait and walked back to get her, LOL.

Ugh. I hope it works out. I just sold my extra 2 tickets slightly over face value. I probably could have gotten more, but I wanted them sold and I wasn't doing it for the profit. My oldest is going to a Chicago show. My youngest, myself and friends are going together. Our biggest issue is deciding what to wear, I did not realize what I was getting into lol
I can't complain, we lost $20 on the NYC ticket, but made $600 on the Chicago tickets we sold already, LOL. And yes, the outfit is definitely a process! My 17yo is VERY into her concert outfits. Even when she went to New Kids with me this summer. She was more concerned how she looked than I was, LOL. Which show are you doing? She decided she was okay w/ me selling the tickets we have for 10/9. In exchange she bartered for a trip to TX to see him w/ her BFF. Her BFF's family bought them pit so she's over the moon!!!

I currently have 3 chase business cards -

CIC (originally CIP) - had since 12/16
CIU (originally CIP) - had since 5/19
CIC - had since 1/25/22

If I had DH refer me for another (probably) CIC, should I close one of those first? I do have current charges on all of them if that matters.
I just got approved for CIC#3, LOL.

All the talk of Priority Pass has me wondering (since it comes with the Venture X)... I got the impression that PP was actually sort of a pain. I've looked at their website and I don't believe there is one at PHX

Did there used to be a benefit where you could get some sort of credit in an airport restaurant with PP, or am I just imagining it?
I've used the PP lounges anyone there is one or other privileges. DTW has a PP lounge but I feel it's sooo lame! I keep wondering if it's from Covid. It's newer. I've used the minute suites in CLT. I've done the lounge in Vegas, which is way better since they got the new bigger one. I've used the lounge in CHS which was brand new. In FLL I've used the food credit. I see it as a "free" perk anyways, so I often check out the lounges. If for nothing else than a free bottle of water, LOL.

Barclays AA Aviator Biz DP:
Opened 8/20/20
Closed 8/20/21
Applied 8/19/22
Denied 8/22/22

Application went pending. Missed a phone call yesterday from Barclays. Called just now to be told that since I voluntarily closed the card last year I’m not eligible for another card until 24 months from cancellation. Disappointed, and wish Barclays was more consistent with their approvals and timelines for reapplying.
UGH! I've wanted to churn the Biz (I have it open right now, but I opened it back in 2020). I closed the personal card back in Sept 21 when the AF posted. I was going to close the Biz card now that my AA travel for the summer is done. But now I'm wondering if I hang onto it. I can't get the personal again, as I'm trying to stay under /24 to do the MDD.

Does anyone know if using the CIU on a European DCL cruise will incur foreign transaction fees from ship charges? Also, does carrying a balance on the CIU affect your credit score? Thanks 😊

I can't complain, we lost $20 on the NYC ticket, but made $600 on the Chicago tickets we sold already, LOL. And yes, the outfit is definitely a process! My 17yo is VERY into her concert outfits. Even when she went to New Kids with me this summer. She was more concerned how she looked than I was, LOL. Which show are you doing? She decided she was okay w/ me selling the tickets we have for 10/9. In exchange she bartered for a trip to TX to see him w/ her BFF. Her BFF's family bought them pit so she's over the moon!!!

We go the 28th, along with half of our softball team, though not everyone has tickets together

Long time lurker. I have a question about paying off a furnace/AC loan with Plastiq and maybe the best card to use. It will be just under $10,000.

I would only use plastiq here to take advantage of a bonus on a new card. But I'm a bit worried about sending that large of an amount. I have a relationship with Plastiq for over 5 years, but very small amounts a few hundred dollars total each year at the most. Will they flag because all of a sudden, if I send a check that large. Also I hear about specials about plastiq waiving fees, but I never can find it.
And finally any advice on which card would make the most sense(cents). Im not real comfortable with some of the larger annual fee cards.

Credit card summary…

P1 (4/5)
US Bank Altitude 12/29/20
SW Plus 03/16/21
Sapphire Prefered 08/27/21
AMEX Blue 10/01/21

Business
INK & SW

P2 (3/5)
Wyndam 03/30/21
Disney 04/15/22
IHG 05/16/22

Business
INK

Thanks for any advice on this subject and thanks for all the past advice. This is probably the only site/website/blog that I have consistently read for the past few years.

Since it's paying off a loan, I would think you can split up the payment? If so, and if it's been at least 3 months since your last Chase card, I would do CIU for $7500 for P1 and CIU or CIC for the rest for P2 (depending on if you can use the categories for the rest of the MSR).

When I first started using Plastiq, I would get the fee free dollar promos by e-mail. But those ended once I started using it more. They still sometimes send out gift card promos.

For those keeping track- the new Cap 1 card showed up online for me tonight! When I logged in it said something like "we see you have a new card; would you like to link it now?" or something along those lines.

Regarding the Capital 1 shopping/offers, they are ONLY if you make purchases from those companies online, correct? It's not like Chase where you can add the offers to your card and then go out and shop at those places in person (or through the merchant's own website or app). That seems weird to me but then I am very used to Chase offers and not at all used to Capital One!

Does anyone know if using the CIU on a European DCL cruise will incur foreign transaction fees from ship charges? Also, does carrying a balance on the CIU affect your credit score? Thanks 😊
The charges will be in US $ so no transaction fees.

But I didn’t think about VAT. We bought almost nothing so it didn’t matter much.

I am so sorry that happened to you and your family was so fortunate to all be home at the same time.

I hadn't felt ready to share this because it is still very traumatic for me, but I will now. A few months back I received a call from my young adult daughter, sobbing hysterically. Then a police officer gets on the phone and tells me she had been in an accident near Walmart, but that she was fine and could I come pick her up? I say of course and ask a few questions and then he asks me to speak with her again to just calm her down and let her know I'm on my way. She gets on the phone again crying and begging me to come get her. Then she whispers "They're not who they say they are, Mom. They're not police." The phone gets ripped away from her and then my nightmare starts. The guys says okay, we're not police, your daughter saw something she wasn't supposed to and now we have her. He's very anxious, saying he doesn't want to hurt her but he doesn't know what to do with her and can he trust that if I come get her I will make sure she doesn't turn them in? Anyway, I'm just not able to continue fully with the rest of the story, but know that for hours on end I was tortured like this.

Apparently this is known as a virtual kidnapping. It feels incredibly real in the moment. When someone sounds like your child, you will do anything, move any mountain, put yourself in any danger to make them safe. I am not an easily fooled person. I won't even let a salesperson sell me the thing I came to a store to buy. My guard is ALWAYS up. But I would swear it was my daughter on the phone. Anyways, the techniques they use are very sophisticated, whether it be IT techniques or psychological techniques. And the experience is very, very controlling. They don't allow you to put them on speaker and they constantly keep you busy, so that you don't have time to reach out for help or fact check etc. And you are so so fearful you'll do something wrong that will endanger your child. Anyways, it's really, really awful the ends people will go to for money.

I think I've heard a very simplified version of this, more like "your niece is calling from Europe and she lost her wallet" or whatever, and I always chalked it up to elderly people falling for these scams. I really had no idea how sophisticated they were. I have also heard a variation where when you post details about your upcoming vacations on social, they'll target your parents, etc that you've been kidnapped abroad.

Here's just one example https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...082690-8963-11e6-875e-2c1bfe943b66_story.html
this is horrifying.....

Ughhh woke up to a Chase fraud alert for a charge attempted overnight. The biggest hassle is that it’s on our “everyday” card, so it’s the one we use for most of our recurring monthly payments, so now I’ll have to update those once we get a new card.

We actually had fraud on this same account about 4 months ago and had to get a new card number. Now fraud on that new card. Seems weirdly coincidental since we haven’t had any fraud alerts on any of our other numerous cards.

I currently have 3 chase business cards -

CIC (originally CIP) - had since 12/16
CIU (originally CIP) - had since 5/19
CIC - had since 1/25/22

If I had DH refer me for another (probably) CIC, should I close one of those first? I do have current charges on all of them if that matters.
In a similar situation, I paid the balance and closed my oldest card and then applied. It worked for me.

Oops. Have to edit because I posted before I actually wrote my reply. 🤨

Unless things have recently changed, you can have more than one Freedom. I have three. As someone above recommended, do a product change rather than closing your card. Someone on this board saved me from that exact mistake a while ago, and I’m forever grateful.
Thank you! I am still confused though on the benefit of doing a PC... is it just so I can reapply sooner? I guess could PC to a CFU since I don't even have that one yet. And also, can you give me advice on how you would word it to the person? :) Does it not really matter?

In a similar situation, I paid the balance and closed my oldest card and then applied. It worked for me.

I was just instantly approved for a CIU from DH's referral!!

I now hold 2 CIC's and 2 CIU's

I was probably applying when you responded. I decided to go ahead and apply and see what happened. Luckily I was approved. I will probably close the other CIU soon to only keep three business cards open. May end up closing one of the CIC's as well, but I'll have to think on that one.

I was probably applying when you responded. I decided to go ahead and apply and see what happened. Luckily I was approved. I will probably close the other CIU soon to only keep three business cards open. May end up closing one of the CIC's as well, but I'll have to think on that one.
Nice! I LOVE instant approval! I wondered if they would approve a 4th card, lol. Now we know, lol.

Thank you! I am still confused though on the benefit of doing a PC... is it just so I can reapply sooner? I guess could PC to a CFU since I don't even have that one yet. And also, can you give me advice on how you would word it to the person? :) Does it not really matter?
Applying sooner, keeping an older card helps with age of accounts, keeping Chase happy. Also you can reduce the credit limit if your total limits with Chase are high.
Unfortunately the only way to PC a card with Chase is to call. I usually just say I'm interested in changing my card to one with no AF as I can't afford it. You can also say you don't find the value in the high AF but they will try to show you the value by listing all the benefits. I just go with I can't afford it right now but I would consider it again in the future when I can.

All these CapOne discussions have me 🤔. I have CapOne savings and checking. Will that help me?
I used the preapproval tool this morning. Nothing for me. (I have the old Venture card) Lame for DH (He has the VentureX). We have checking and savings too.

Trying to come up with a new card. I goofed up my DH yesterday. Applied for a CIC and they want business verification. Jumped the gun and applied for a United Explorer (through a link on Dischurners) and that might be 7-10 days.
I want to keep myself clean for a SW later this year but I might go for something. Early planning for Scotland next fall. Thinking we'll be on United but I'm not a fan of their points charts. Maybe I need another CIC or CIU.

I'm over 48 mos on my CSR but I'm afraid of getting denied and losing my CSR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter