I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still nervous about the cancellation policy on my ski trip for February in VT at a pricey Hyatt, throw in my bad knee that's been bothering me lately and I'm now looking at alternative vacations.
Any suggestions for a great Hyatt property that would be in a warm weather location in Feb. I have 180,000 Hyatt points to use. Thanks!

Depending on where you live (since DH and I find it a wee bit chilly in Jan but most people likely wouldn't, lol) and when you go, Key West might be an option. We went last January and are headed there late January again this year. :beach:

Depending on where you live (since DH and I find it a wee bit chilly in Jan but most people likely wouldn't, lol) and when you go, Key West might be an option. We went last January and are headed there late January again this year. :beach:

We're headed to Key West in February - hopefully. First timers to KW - on points at Hyatt Centric. Doesn't necessarily look like a stunning resort, but location appears to be great.

My SW purchases on 12/27 got credited on 12/29 on the Plat, so I'm hoping the final ones I made on 12/28 get credited today but there's no indication of that yet. There used to be a credit meter that would change a day prior to the credit posting, but the current website design doesn't show that. I've noticed it does show a meter after several days if you've only used part of the airline credit throughout the year. But I wanted the travel fund expiration date to be as far in the future as possible, so I timed my purchases as last minute as possible while feeling the odds would be in my favor for using the 2021 credits.

So now DD has $1485 in SW travel funds, DH should be getting the CP for 2022-2023 and I'll be his companion. That should take care of our flight needs for 2022! I think in Jan, I'll switch the airline to UA on all the Plats to build up the travel bank.

We're headed to Key West in February - hopefully. First timers to KW - on points at Hyatt Centric. Doesn't necessarily look like a stunning resort, but location appears to be great.
Thanks, I'm going to be looking into Key West now.

My SW purchases on 12/27 got credited on 12/29 on the Plat, so I'm hoping the final ones I made on 12/28 get credited today but there's no indication of that yet. There used to be a credit meter that would change a day prior to the credit posting, but the current website design doesn't show that. I've noticed it does show a meter after several days if you've only used part of the airline credit throughout the year. But I wanted the travel fund expiration date to be as far in the future as possible, so I timed my purchases as last minute as possible while feeling the odds would be in my favor for using the 2021 credits.

So now DD has $1485 in SW travel funds, DH should be getting the CP for 2022-2023 and I'll be his companion. That should take care of our flight needs for 2022! I think in Jan, I'll switch the airline to UA on all the Plats to build up the travel bank.

We too have 7 cards (I didn't realize it was that many) and I try to use them fresh for a trip during the year, or like you, wait unti the very end of the year to extend the travel credit date. Now that I think of it that way, that's a lot of money to be out of if the loopholes dried up and maybe I should consider using them right away in January.

Your post made me go back to double check that I used them all- what happened to that handy ticker?? I had to view transaction by year and sort for credits.

I still have the credit meter. For me it shows up in the morning on the meter then at noon on my account.

We too have 7 cards (I didn't realize it was that many) and I try to use them fresh for a trip during the year, or like you, wait unti the very end of the year to extend the travel credit date. Now that I think of it that way, that's a lot of money to be out of if the loopholes dried up and maybe I should consider using them right away in January.

Your post made me go back to double check that I used them all- what happened to that handy ticker?? I had to view transaction by year and sort for credits.
SEVEN cards??? 🤯 Can I ask how much you pay in CC fees a year?

That's where we stayed and are staying again. KW has sort of crappy beaches but between the flora, fauna and water it reminds DH and me of our days in the Caribbean. Last year the Centric was really busy in early Jan (wedding, conventions) so I'll be interested in whether it's as busy later in the month. Breakfast (I'm a Globalist) was wonderful and the location was great-really walkable to everywhere DH and I wanted to go. The room was basic beach resort -fine but nothing over the top. Hopefully you'll get there and enjoy it (and iirc you're in the NorthEast so the weather will be definitely warmer for y'all!).

I was wondering if platinum status is worth if for Marriott. I’m 1 night away from it. I could book a night tonight for 10k Marriott points. I have no major plans for vacation next year. Wasn’t sure if I should do it? Any thoughts. Thanks.

I'm $300 away from MSR on SW Biz so points will post with January statement. Applied for SW Biz 11/5, previous cards were CIC 9/23/21 and CSP 8/22/20.

Is it too risky to go for SW personal before February? I'd like to get the points and CP by March as I've already booked cash flights.

I'm also going to recommend the IHG card. If you stay 2 nights or more at an IHG then you may want to consider this to be a keeper card and not downgrade. The free night 40K certificate each year will likely be more valuable than the AF. PlanePrincess and I each have the OG IHG card with the $49 AF, but even if it were $89 we'd keep it. We use our FN certificates at the Candlewood Suites which is 3.74 miles away from WDW. We each make a one night reservation and then when we check in, the front desk will combine the reservation so we don't have to switch rooms. There are also a few WDW good neighbor hotels in the IHG network. I've yet to see any of the rooms less than $89 per night. I am a big proponent of keeping a card with an AF as long as that AF brings you a benefit that outweighs the cost.

Marriott has become increasingly difficult when it comes to using FN certificates and they are going into dynamic pricing for award stays. Therefore, even their points will wind up less valuable down the line.

Personally, I would not rule out the Hyatt card based on the no downgrade path. The FN certificate each year is far more valuable than the AF. The award pricing for hotel stays at Hyatt on points are significantly more favorable than IHG or Marriott. I can honestly say that my one regret after being in this hobby for the last 10 years is not jumping on the Hyatt bandwagon sooner. There's my two cents. Hope it helps. :flower3:

I've had the Hyatt card since 2017 - almost 5 years - and wish I'd gotten it sooner. I joined World of Hyatt or whatever the program was called way back when, while visiting Liberty Bell and other sites in Philadelphia. Got a room at a Hyatt on Priceline and myself and the kids were hooked. Heated towel racks, huge room, old style but in very good condition. After that, whenever we could we got Hyatts. Already loved Westins also, and were SPG members forever, but Hyatt was always service. Checking in, 'would you like a glass of champagne'. Not talking about Hyatt House or Hyatt Place, love those for what they are.

But, IHG has their place also and lots of options. I think the OP should consider more than one hotel card and shop around when she travels, which is what most of us do.

I was wondering if platinum status is worth if for Marriott. I’m 1 night away from it. I could book a night tonight for 10k Marriott points. I have no major plans for vacation next year. Wasn’t sure if I should do it? Any thoughts. Thanks.

Sending you a PM.

Do the digital Priority Pass numbers not match the physical card numbers?

I have PP from at least 4 cards so I'm trying to get them all straight. I can get the physical card number from my Amex/Chase account. The CSR number matches my physical card. I have a PP acct with a number I don't recognize and I have an email and pin with a number I don't recognize. Neither of those match my Plat or Plat Biz number from Amex and my Surpass number isn't showing yet. I did have an Aspire that I downgraded so that could be either the online acct or the physical card.

I'm still nervous about the cancellation policy on my ski trip for February in VT at a pricey Hyatt, throw in my bad knee that's been bothering me lately and I'm now looking at alternative vacations.
Any suggestions for a great Hyatt property that would be in a warm weather location in Feb. I have 180,000 Hyatt points to use. Thanks!

ETA: We are in MA and it would be me, DH, DD14, DS13 and DS10.
I have this Scottsdale resort booked in March - it is 20K per night or cash $500+/night. https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/arizona/hyatt-regency-scottsdale-resort-and-spa/scott

Does Hyatt have a search feature (like Southwest does) to see rates on different dates? I tried multiple dates in Feb/Mar and couldn't find any close to 20k per night (found 35k and 40k, or 20k+$$$)

20k is for a standard room. The rates you're seeing are suites. The standard room awards are usually the first to go. If you're looking past March 1, then peak/non-peak pricing is now in effect. You can then use the chart @CyndiLouWho posted to see what the standard room will cost for your dates (17k, 20k, or 23k). It won't tell you if there's availability though.

There's no easy search that I know of. If you want to call (or chat or Twitter DM), I think the reps can see availability faster than one search at a time. For high demand places, I like to book when the schedule opens up at 13 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter