I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We currently have reservations through the Chase portal for Universal Portofino over February break. We have enough points to reserve airfare through the portal as well, but are reluctant due to the pandemic and concern over possibility we may need to cancel. Is there an option to purchase airfare tickets with points that would allow you to cancel the tickets and get the points back? So far, I haven’t seen an option for that. Also, for those who have traveled to either Disney or Universal recently, during COVID, what was your experience? Was it worth it? Should we consider a different destination for now until things improve? Our reservations are for club level, but will it be the same experience? I know the food and hotel industry have been hit hard, so that’s why I’m asking. For those who have opted for different destinations due to COVID, where did you go and what was the experience? TIA
I would not book airfare through the expedia portal. That puts another layer between you and the airline if anything goes wrong. If you want to use UR to book flights I would transfer to one of the three domestic airlines that Chase transfers to and do it that way. My wife went to Disney in Feb and had a great time with her sister, but she did say it was a lot different than it was in 2019 when we all went.

We currently have reservations through the Chase portal for Universal Portofino over February break. We have enough points to reserve airfare through the portal as well, but are reluctant due to the pandemic and concern over possibility we may need to cancel. Is there an option to purchase airfare tickets with points that would allow you to cancel the tickets and get the points back? So far, I haven’t seen an option for that. Also, for those who have traveled to either Disney or Universal recently, during COVID, what was your experience? Was it worth it? Should we consider a different destination for now until things improve? Our reservations are for club level, but will it be the same experience? I know the food and hotel industry have been hit hard, so that’s why I’m asking. For those who have opted for different destinations due to COVID, where did you go and what was the experience? TIA
We have been to USO many times during the last 1 1/2 years and are returning in 2 weeks. We have no problem with the experience. Feb will bring shorter hours but that is the norm.

I would check out the USO section on Disboards for the club situation or there is UOAP FB page with info.

Feb is so far out who knows what things will be like.

Quick question that I'm sure someone here will know the answer to.

If I book a flight using an airline-branded credit card (let's say United Explorer), then I close the credit card before my travel date, will I retain any benefits I would have gotten with the card, such as priority boarding and free checked bags?

Is anyone else having issues with the new Chase Ultimate rewards site? Its just terrible, trips are no longer shown in a list format but giant pictures that takes like 5 clicks to pull up the actual booking, the "virtual travel agent" is terrible and can't find any of my bookings, there is no longer a cancel button for hotel bookings. And I had to call the support number to speak to someone with broken English to cancel a hotel booking. I know it wasn't perfect before but it did the job. Sorry just venting, really turned off by this change.
I hadn’t looked at my hotel bookings in a month or so…but ugh agree with you before it was so easy to cancel online.

I just returned from Universal over Labor Day weekend with a stay at Hard Rock. It was normal, and by that I mean there are almost no Covid precautions. Employees are wearing masks indoors, but there is no social distancing at all. It's back to "fill every available space/seat" with single riders being placed with strangers. Probably less than 50% of guests wearing masks. We didn't have club level but it is my understanding those are back to normal as well. If you are concerned about covid, you would probably have a very anxious experience. As someone else mentioned, check out the Universal forums on this site for more details.

Is anyone else having issues with the new Chase Ultimate rewards site? Its just terrible, trips are no longer shown in a list format but giant pictures that takes like 5 clicks to pull up the actual booking, the "virtual travel agent" is terrible and can't find any of my bookings, there is no longer a cancel button for hotel bookings. And I had to call the support number to speak to someone with broken English to cancel a hotel booking. I know it wasn't perfect before but it did the job. Sorry just venting, really turned off by this change.

Yeah, I don’t like the new format. I know I did cancel hotels under the new format online. Can’t remember how I did it, just know it was different than before and I didn’t have to call.

If you use the travel portal and cancel, you’ll only get a credit with the airline and then only be able to use that credit on flights in the travel portal (might not be all flights with that airline). The credit is normally only for a year after the booking date, not the flight date. So for the most flexibility, I’d recommend transferring to the airline. You do not need to have a SW card to transfer to SW. Just need a RR account and a CIP/CSR/CSP card that allows transfers to partners. The RR account and Chase card need to be for the same person. But you can use RR points to book flights for anyone in your party.

Quick question that I'm sure someone here will know the answer to.

If I book a flight using an airline-branded credit card (let's say United Explorer), then I close the credit card before my travel date, will I retain any benefits I would have gotten with the card, such as priority boarding and free checked bags?
No, those benefits are available to those that hold the credit card when they fly. I have never paid for a flight with my Delta AMEX cards, I always use my CSP to get the travel protections, but I held the Delta Gold to get the free bag and upgraded boarding.

Sure, can't get the dining credits for September from Amex for any of my 3 cards (anyone else get theirs yet?), but had no trouble getting my $200 statement credit for my Delta upgrade, the same day I met the MSR and the 50k bonus miles the very next day!!

Now, if Chase would just hurry up and approve or axe p2's CIC app (they are killing me) that would be great. I am without an MSR and I have things to pay for.
I had noticed this when I used my card earlier this month, but I used it for lunch today and got 2 emails, 1 for each of the dining offers I have attached to the card. Must have been delayed this month.

I reached out to SW about my cancelled flight through their website after I got home. They responded and are sending me a $150 voucher. That covers about 1/2 of the costs I incurred so I am happy with that. I also contacted them on behalf of my juvenile nephew who was traveling with me. So maybe he will get something as well. I did not complain about my official companion pass companion since his ticket was free.

Is anyone having trouble with September AMEX wireless credits? I haven't gotten any of my credits this month yet. Hadn't looked since I was out of town last week but looking today and see no credits yet from charges starting on Sept 1 - 5.

Is anyone having trouble with September AMEX wireless credits? I haven't gotten any of my credits this month yet. Hadn't looked since I was out of town last week but looking today and see no credits yet from charges starting on Sept 1 - 5.
DH’s $20 Aspire dining credit still hasn’t shown up. Purchase was on 9/2.

DH’s $20 Aspire dining credit still hasn’t shown up. Purchase was on 9/2.

Mine from the 3rd on my surpass hasn't either. My grubhub from the 6th posted to my gold the 9th.

I haven't used my cell credit on either of my biz - dl or Hilton. Our bill doesn't cut til around the 20th so that's when I use them.

Anyone been to Finland and care to share an itinerary? I see nonstop flights for $256 RT, economy.

Maybe thinking for January? We’ve never been to a truly cold destination in their winter. (Besides living in Wisconsin, LOL)

Heading home from Atlanta. The ritz Carlton downtown was lovely with a few minor exceptions (no shampoo, lousy hair dryer, breakfast buffet had next to nothing left 30 minutes before closing). Got a lot for my money for $189 (9 am check in, 4 pm check out, $100 dining credit, $80 breakfast credit, etc.)

We had some great meals and dd seems happy. She stayed with me last night which was sweet.

Looking forward to getting home to my pups and son.

I wanted to share my DP with a chat from AmEx:

I was looking over some of my credits to see how things are going on DH and my Platinum cards. I noticed that on DH's Saks credit for Jan-June that even though I ordered my item on June 24th, it didn't get charged to my card until July 1st and the credit posted on the 4th. I chatted asking if there was anything that could be done. The rep said there was no way to override the system and that is why they give you a full 6 months to use the credit. They were honestly somewhat snarky with me so I told them that I my next annual fee would be coming up in December and I wondered what my options would be for downgrading to a cheap (or free) annual fee card. I told them I obviously wasn't good at keeping up with all of the hoops that I have to jump through.

They passed me onto the retention chat people and I was offered a $550 credit for a $4,000 spend. That may be a normal retention offer, but I didn't know I could get the offer so far before my annual fee posted. I don't think there's an advantage (and I hope there's not a disadvantage that I'm not thinking of) for it being about 3-4 months before my annual fee, but I wanted to share.

I was also disappointed (but also understand) that they wouldn't / couldn't do anything on my Saks credit, but I guess it's a lesson as to why my procrastination is so bad lol!

Anyone been to Finland and care to share an itinerary? I see nonstop flights for $256 RT, economy.

Maybe thinking for January? We’ve never been to a truly cold destination in their winter. (Besides living in Wisconsin, LOL)
I’ve been to Finland a few times but only in the summer. I’ve always wanted to go in the winter and go to Northern Finland to see the aurora borealis. Where did you find the great airfare?

I wanted to share my DP with a chat from AmEx:

I was looking over some of my credits to see how things are going on DH and my Platinum cards. I noticed that on DH's Saks credit for Jan-June that even though I ordered my item on June 24th, it didn't get charged to my card until July 1st and the credit posted on the 4th. I chatted asking if there was anything that could be done. The rep said there was no way to override the system and that is why they give you a full 6 months to use the credit. They were honestly somewhat snarky with me so I told them that I my next annual fee would be coming up in December and I wondered what my options would be for downgrading to a cheap (or free) annual fee card. I told them I obviously wasn't good at keeping up with all of the hoops that I have to jump through.

They passed me onto the retention chat people and I was offered a $550 credit for a $4,000 spend. That may be a normal retention offer, but I didn't know I could get the offer so far before my annual fee posted. I don't think there's an advantage (and I hope there's not a disadvantage that I'm not thinking of) for it being about 3-4 months before my annual fee, but I wanted to share.

I was also disappointed (but also understand) that they wouldn't / couldn't do anything on my Saks credit, but I guess it's a lesson as to why my procrastination is so bad lol!
No issue there. I’ve heard of people getting retentions on brand new AmExes. Kind of crazy!

Heading home from Atlanta. The ritz Carlton downtown was lovely with a few minor exceptions (no shampoo, lousy hair dryer, breakfast buffet had next to nothing left 30 minutes before closing). Got a lot for my money for $189 (9 am check in, 4 pm check out, $100 dining credit, $80 breakfast credit, etc.)

We had some great meals and dd seems happy. She stayed with me last night which was sweet.

Looking forward to getting home to my pups and son.
Glad you had a nice visit for her birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter