• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went ahead and got DH a Southwest card with the companion pass offer. We are not SW people, but the offer made sense for us because we can get in a lot of short weekend trips with the pass as more restrictions ease. We are still working on the master bath and want to put a pavilion in the backyard, so (sadly) the $5k MSR will be easy to hit. The amount of money we've been spending on our home the past two months makes me twitch a little.

Thinking about getting a Disney annual pass to go with the companion pass. Haven't really decided or gamed that one out fully yet.

Awesome! Sounds like you’re on the right path. If you haven’t already, use your Gold support link to see what kind of offers you can pull up for your DH. I usually do it Incognito or in a different browser like Chrome. That should give you an idea of offers available to him through your support link. You can also browse business cards there as well. Sometimes the best offers are not through support. I can easily find the 100k Platinum offer for my DH, but never with my support link. I would play around with it, and see where you find the best offers for him. If he’s never had an AMEX he might qualify for the 125k Platinum. I would check Card Match or AMEX prequalified offers. I found AMEX prequalified offers page by doing a quick Google search for it.
Thanks to your suggestion of the Card Match, I was able to get the Platicorn for DH! 125K bonus MR! Yay!!!

Ok..... just taking an unofficial opinion poll here..... PYB. I'm realllllly tossing this around as the end date for the special categories draws near..... Use, or save for a future date? I've seen many mentions here and there throughout this wonderful thread.... What do you plan to do? (I'm talking CSR 1.5%,but please chime in also with the 1.25 too)
I realize the actual amounts is kind of personal,just a general idea...
1- Use them all up- it's a great deal
2- Use some up,leave a stash for future use (even tho you won;t get better payback,it'll still ="free" travel in future vs. cash
3- If you choose #2, how much do you plan to leave there?
4- do you have a solid plan for building your account back up?

I'm kind of doing #2. we just got back from a week in the Florida Keys. Our rental car, flights and hotels were all covered with points, so I'm going to use points to PYB on our meals for the trip. Otherwise, I don't think I'm going to use them for non-travel things. I'm like a few other posters, I have a problem paying the charges with cash (even though it's ear-marked for travel) and I start trying to nickel and dime my trips. We are also getting ready to build a house, so I'm going to be limited on getting SUBs for awhile, so it will be difficult building my points up quickly if I spent them all.

Just saw this offer in an email from Alaska Air:

Earn 1 mile for every $2 refinanced
https://www.sofi.com/alaska/

Thanks so much! We will definitely look into this!

You have to call to use the FNC, so they can link the reservations when you do that. I used DH's FNCs in the same call I did mine. They sent an e-mail with a verification code you have to read back to the rep, so make sure you can access the e-mails of the other accounts.

I wish you could just swap a points reservation to a FNC. But if there are no standard rooms left, I don't think you can. They can't just change it in the system and I'm not sure if you canceled the points room if it would go back in inventory. I don't recall seeing any positive DPs.
That's good information to know! I was hoping I could drop a points reserved room and it would appear back in the inventory to then book with a FNC.

Just got the annual fee charge on DH's CIP. It is his only chase biz card. i guess there's no harm in downgrading to a CIU or CIC? He has a CSR, so I don't need it be able to transfer to travel partners, just want to make sure I"m not missing anything else.

Also, if I do PC, is there a need to move the points before hand? There's only like 300 points, so we're not talking about a lot of points either way.

Thanks!

You have to call to use the FNC, so they can link the reservations when you do that. I used DH's FNCs in the same call I did mine. They sent an e-mail with a verification code you have to read back to the rep, so make sure you can access the e-mails of the other accounts.

I wish you could just swap a points reservation to a FNC. But if there are no standard rooms left, I don't think you can. They can't just change it in the system and I'm not sure if you canceled the points room if it would go back in inventory. I don't recall seeing any positive DPs.
If you have a FNC and two nights cash, can you call in and apply one FNC to one of the nights?

Just got the annual fee charge on DH's CIP. It is his only chase biz card. i guess there's no harm in downgrading to a CIU or CIC? He has a CSR, so I don't need it be able to transfer to travel partners, just want to make sure I"m not missing anything else.

Also, if I do PC, is there a need to move the points before hand? There's only like 300 points, so we're not talking about a lot of points either way.

Thanks!
Nope, just a quick SM and you’ll have a “new” card. Nope, CIU and CIC still earn URs so no need to transfer. I just do it as a matter of habit and move all of the URs to my CSR when they post.

If you have a FNC and two nights cash, can you call in and apply one FNC to one of the nights?

I think it's the same issue as points to FNC. No problem if there are still standard nights left, but if not, you can't just swap it. They'd have to cancel and rebook, so you can't be sure it'll come back.

I thought your DP with the 5th night free was super interesting. I wonder if you get a good agent, if they would contact the hotel and see if the cancellation would come back into inventory.

Okay, so I had two rooms booked for our upcoming Maui trip at the Grand Wailea, for 3 nights. Southwest dumped one of our flights, so we ended up extending our stay in Maui for an additional two nights.

Because the same room types weren’t available, I now have 2 rooms under 4 different reservations (2 nts, then 3 nts for each room).

My sister is now unable to travel with us, so I am responsible for the cost of room 2.

Anyway, I wanted to take advantage of Hilton’s stay 4 nights on points, get fifth night free promotion, but was unable to because they are under two different reservations, with two different room types. I waited on hold for about an hour today, and eventually spoke with an agent at the Hilton Diamond desk, who contacted the resort directly for me to try to secure the same room types for the “split” stay. She was unable to do so because they are oversold, however, the Hilton Diamond agent manually credited me with 95,000 points back, honoring the 4nt promotion.

If you have the Hilton Amex card, the Diamond Desk number is on the back of the card, but for those who might need it, it is 1-877-444-9847. The agent went out of her way to put numerous notes on all of my reservations to make our complicated reservations, hopefully less complicated.

ETA: The level of service was something the regular agent hadn’t offered, so it was worth is to speak with the Diamond agent. Both agents were very pleasant and knowledgeable, the Diamond agent simply went the extra mile.

Thanks!
No harm in PCing....need to call Chase to do so, but you can cancel via SM

Last edited:
Went ahead and got DH a Southwest card with the companion pass offer. We are not SW people, but the offer made sense for us because we can get in a lot of short weekend trips with the pass as more restrictions ease. We are still working on the master bath and want to put a pavilion in the backyard, so (sadly) the $5k MSR will be easy to hit. The amount of money we've been spending on our home the past two months makes me twitch a little.

Thinking about getting a Disney annual pass to go with the companion pass. Haven't really decided or gamed that one out fully yet.
Unfortunately As of now Disney isn’t selling new APs....they are only renewing or if you had one and cancelled last year they may let you buy a new AP

Just approved for B of A Business MC. Decided against a second Amex Platinum Biz. Q1 estimated taxes will knock out this MSR next month. My strong distaste for B of A is decreasing between this and the $500 checking account bonus I'm working on. I'll also do a few $500 payments using my Amex BBC since I still have six more times to use my spend $500 get $25 back offer. Also planning on applying for a CIU once SW anniversary points post and I close my business card.

I/DH applied for the Delta Reserve Business over the weekend. We got an email that they needed more information which I thought was strange since we are normally approved instantly. They called DH yesterday and luckily I was there to remind him he applied for a card. The SSN was wrong and it looks like it autofilled part of our phone number over the SSN. A quick call fixed it and now he has a new card for taxes next month. We are going to have earn Delta Platinum status through spending this year since he isn't flying very much.

Thanks for the replies about PYB..... I'm currently debating myself inside my own head.... use this opportunity to basically use that amount of points in $$$ to pay down my mortgage (my current focus) and how much do I leave as a 'cushion'? (I know it's a personal choice) but since I know myself and how my DH feels about spending money (oop) on travel.....
My situations is this,over the past year,I've used PYB for about 600k points..... (treated myself to some lovely consolation prizes!) And now have about 250k left..... Which I'm kind of feeling a tug to hang onto....our world is (hopefully) opening back up for travel.

I find it so funny to read about the south when Miami is as far south almost as possible and we are so not "south"! We have like 3 CFA in the entire county, no Zaxbys, no Portillos, no Cookout (haven't even heard of them)! Miami is a completely different world.
I don't think there is a cookout in FL. I think I looked when we where there. And the Bojangles was way in northern FL too.

I think cookout is just in the Carolinas if not just nc. They aren't a big chain, only outdoor seating so a lot of them have a drive thru on each side along with walk up windows. I remember being excited when they opened one hear my house since I normally only ate there for lunch since there was one near work or when I was out and about.

Now I really want some hush puppies...
They have them in ATL too! That'll be my first stop when we go at the end of the month, LOL. And the Cookout in Jacksonville and I think Havelock in NC have indoor seating pre-covid. I haven't paid attention but some do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter