I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really tempted to go for a second Biz Platinum this week. I got my current one on 12/11. This is from an "offer" on my BBC card and doesn't have the NLL in it. I can easily do the $15k in spend--mostly through estimated tax payments. I know this is a wee bit risky but is it outright dumb?

Other options are the BoA business MC or a CIU (but want to wait until I cancel my Southwest Business card since I have three Chase business cards currently). I'm at 2/24 but no personal cards are appealing to me at the moment.

This is incorrect.

First, "CS" is a vague term and could refer to Charles Schwab or Chase Sapphire. Chase actually offers a basic "Chase Sapphire" card, which earns only 2x UR on dining and 1x UR on all other purchases. If @EM Lawrence is referring to the more premium "Chase Sapphire Preferred" or "Chase Sapphire Reserve," or the "CSP" and "CSR" respectively, she needs to be clearer with her acronyms (I get it, it's a foreign language), as these cards have different earning structures and benefits. When she says she's going to apply for the "Chase Sapphire," is she referring to the CSP or CSR? That choice matters, especially if she plans to offset the cost of Disney tickets/APs with the CSR's $300 travel credit.

Disney may or may not qualify as "travel" depending on how and where you make your purchase. If you're buying tickets or APs from, or making AP payments directly to Disney, then as @palhockeymomof2 said, it will not code as travel; it'll code as entertainment. About the only thing with "Disney" that codes as travel is if you make a room charge to a Disney hotel or resort and pay off the hotel bill with the CSP/CSR at 2x UR and 3x UR respectively.

"Travel" is a spending bonus category. Not all cards have travel as a bonus category. And not every point of sale codes as "travel" even if it seems travel-related.

The only Amex charge card that has a general "travel" category is the Green card, which earns 3x MR if the charge codes as travel. Again, tickets or APs from Disney's website or ticket window will not code as travel; it'll code as entertainment.

If you can buy your tickets or APs through a travel agency, that'll almost certainly code as travel.

If you're looking to apply for a CSR with the idea of using its $300 annual travel credit to offset the cost of Disney tickets/APs, you can buy Disney Gift Cards from a grocery store. Chase has expanded the $300 "travel" credit to apply towards charges made at supermarkets and gas stations through 6/30/21. Travel, supermarket, and gas charges made on the CSR get credited automatically until you use up the $300 credit. Supermarket purchases also earn 3x UR on the CSR, up to $1,000 in purchases each month until 4/30/21. 3x UR at grocery stores is equivalent to the 3x UR earned on travel. Buy your Disney Gift Cards from a supermarket, then take your Disney Gift Cards, combine them on DisneyGiftCard.com and use them to purchase your Disney tickets/passes from Disney.

I might have figured out to buy Disney gift cards at a grocery store to get the points on my own eventually, but this is certainly a shortcut for my brain.

I apologize for not being more clear about ”CS.”

I’m still working through whether it is worthwhile to get the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Chase Sapphire Reserve based on my spending habits. I already applied for and was approved for the Amex Gold, which offers 4X points on dining and groceries. (75K point SUB.) I plan to use the Amex Gold for most of my spending in those two categories. I’ve also gotten AU cards for my teenagers, to establish a credit history, help with spending, and frankly to make my life a bit easier. I wish I had known that I could have waited to add them and potentially gotten an offer to do so. Oh well. Rookie mistake.

The only problem with the Amex Gold is that any spending on travel just gets 1X unless it is on a flight. We don’t fly often, but we do stay in hotels and spend on general travel quite a bit. I’d like to add a card that will get me better rewards for non-flight travel expenses.

I’m torn between not only the CSR and CSP but a plain old hotel loyalty card. I appreciate the flexibility of Chase UR, but I value the perks that come with hotel loyalty as well, like free breakfast, room upgrades, club level, etc. I rarely book the most basic room at a hotel, and that is one reason I’m moving away from the Bonvoy program, even though I otherwise like it. Most the of time I’ve booked using points I have only had the option to book the lowest tier room, and I’ve not gotten any upgrades yet despite being a Gold Elite member.

The CSR pencils out just slightly ahead of the CSP when I run the numbers based on my spending from last year.

I’ve only got 2/24 out of 5/24 slots filled. Will definitely be adding the HA Barclays card, so that will put me at 3/24 depending on if I apply for it before or after whichever third card I land on: CSR, CSP, or a hotel loyalty card (either Hilton or Hyatt.)

I'm really tempted to go for a second Biz Platinum this week. I got my current one on 12/11. This is from an "offer" on my BBC card and doesn't have the NLL in it. I can easily do the $15k in spend--mostly through estimated tax payments. I know this is a wee bit risky but is it outright dumb?

Other options are the BoA business MC or a CIU (but want to wait until I cancel my Southwest Business card since I have three Chase business cards currently). I'm at 2/24 but no personal cards are appealing to me at the moment.

Just FYI -

I’m all for getting another card. Estimated tax payments or not,
giphy.gif

New targeted welcome offer for the AmEX Blue Business cards reported:

Blue Business Plus card from AmEx
50k MR points for $15,000 of spend but over the first 12 months plus the 0% APR on purchases still.

Blue Business Cash card
$500 statement credit after $15,000 in spend over the first 12 months plus the 0% APR on purchases.

Normally the public link has no welcome bonus and support links for BBP show the usual 10k/3k offer. The best offer thus far has been a targeted offer for 30k/5k in 3 months. Other targeted offers have been 20k/5k in 3 months and 20k/3k in 3 months.

The BBC has a similar support offer to the targeted offer, it's just tiered right now. $250 for 5k spend in 6 months and another $250 for an additional 10k within the first year. Ultimately the same result if you would spend $15,000 on the card in the first year, but with the new offer you are committed to the full amount to get anything. If you were looking for a cash card instead, I'd probably look at a support offer for the BBC over this targeted one.

To see if you're targeted you login when you apply. If you get the application screen then congrats, you're targeted! If you get a message "We are sorry. This offer is no longer available" then you are not currently targeted :( (Like moi)

Tickets through Disney always code as entertainment. If it's part of a package with a room, it'll code as travel. Big reason why we're better off getting disney gc at a discount, or at the very least at the grocery store using a card you get grocery points on. Unless you have one of the few (if there's any left) that give extra points for entertainment.
I actually did use gift cards purchased at gc (used MRs at rite aid and PYB with URs ) for the tix for my family. The one tix for a friend travelling with us was paid for with my CSP. I priced the tix through DVC with the 4+2 and the discount places. Disney was cheaper this time, especially since I had the URS and MRS, so no OOP for me.

Sooooo...platicorn. I see a prequal on my page for 75k on this card..... if I tried cardmatch,what are the odds it would show up for me at the 125k? and if it's under the 'cards for you' on my account, does that mean I won't get the popup?
I would definitely try to locate at least the 100k offer for the Platinum card. I can easily pull it up in Chrome with a quick search for American Express Platinum card. No harm in seeing what you can pull up in CardMatch. As far as the pop-up goes, I’m not sure if prequalified offers get around it.

I might have figured out to buy Disney gift cards at a grocery store to get the points on my own eventually, but this is certainly a shortcut for my brain.

I’m still working through whether it is worthwhile to get the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Chase Sapphire Reserve based on my spending habits. I already applied for and was approved for the Amex Gold, which offers 4X points on dining and groceries. (75K point SUB.) I plan to use the Amex Gold for most of my spending in those two categories. I’ve also gotten AU cards for my teenagers, to establish a credit history, help with spending, and frankly to make my life a bit easier. I wish I had known that I could have waited to add them and potentially gotten an offer to do so. Oh well. Rookie mistake.

The only problem with the Amex Gold is that any spending on travel just gets 1X unless it is on a flight. We don’t fly often, but we do stay in hotels and spend on general travel quite a bit. I’d like to add a card that will get me better rewards for non-flight travel expenses.

I’m torn between not only the CSR and CSP but a plain old hotel loyalty card. I appreciate the flexibility of Chase UR, but I value the perks that come with hotel loyalty as well, like free breakfast, room upgrades, club level, etc. I rarely book the most basic room at a hotel, and that is one reason I’m moving away from the Bonvoy program, even though I otherwise like it. Most the of time I’ve booked using points I have only had the option to book the lowest tier room, and I’ve not gotten any upgrades yet despite being a Gold Elite member.

The CSR pencils out just slightly ahead of the CSP when I run the numbers based on my spending from last year.

I’ve only got 2/24 out of 5/24 slots filled. Will definitely be adding the HA Barclays card, so that will put me at 3/24 depending on if I apply for it before or after whichever third card I land on: CSR, CSP, or a hotel loyalty card (either Hilton or Hyatt.)

The CSR or CSP, a Hyatt card, and a Hawaiian Airlines card will put you at 5/24 in no time and lock you out of more Chase cards until you can drop back under 5/24. The CSR will give you a solid travel card. While a HA card is useful if you’re planning to fly on Hawaiian, I don’t think it’s worth getting in lieu of many of Chase’s cards while you’re under 5/24. Is there a reason you’re not considering business cards that’ll earn you SUBs but won’t count against your 5/24 count?

Hotel cards, loyalty programs, elite status chasing and benefits are a whole big other topic.

It's possible to get both CSR and CSP with a MDD. Details are on our Dischurners group on reddit. You can message @SouthFayetteFan to join.

Category points are nice, but sign-up bonuses are the most lucrative.

Many of us here stay perpetually 4/24 in order to keep getting Chase business cards. You need to be under 5/24 to get any Chase cards, but the business cards won't add to your x/24 count. CIU and CIC are at 75k UR for $7500, CIP is at 100k for $15k spend. It's possible to rack up a lot of UR this way, especially in 2 player mode. You can cross support each other for an additional 20k UR.

I have not looked at business cards yet, because I’m unemployed (thanks Covid) and don’t even have a side hustle going (also thanks Covid.) I’m not sure if that is a disqualifying, but my husband could certainly get business cards.

We do plan to fly to Hawaii, ideally on the direct flight from Orlando, which is why I‘m looking at the HA Barclays card, in addition to the Amex Gold

I feel like I need to understand the basic rules of this game a little bit better. I’ll see about joining the reddit group.

Sometimes they magically show up the next day. And I’ve taken to Twitter with the delivery company when the package doesn’t arrive. Hope it shows up for you!
Check with UPS first. They can actually tell via GPS where the package was dropped off. If it was at the wrong house, they will go back and retrieve it and then deliver them to you. We have a neighborhood where a lot of the street names are the same except for the road, circle, lane part and then has more often than I care for. They are easy to work with and will fix it.
I will echo @chattadisser. We had a package delivered to our neighbors across the street. Don’t know if that’s a possibility for you, but could be the case. I also recommend starting with UPS.
Turns out this was a 🤦‍♀️ moment of mine. I think at Christmas I ordered from ShopDisney and had it delivered to my mom's house, and I didn't notice when delivery address defaulted to hers. Sure enough when I got to mom's this morning my packages were still on her porch. However one of the shirts I ordered for DS was not in the package, so I have contacted ShopDisney about that. Such a dumb mistake on my part.

I have not looked at business cards yet, because I’m unemployed (thanks Covid) and don’t even have a side hustle going (also thanks Covid.) I’m not sure if that is a disqualifying, but my husband could certainly get business cards.

We do plan to fly to Hawaii, ideally on the direct flight from Orlando, which is why I‘m looking at the HA Barclays card, in addition to the Amex Gold

I feel like I need to understand the basic rules of this game a little bit better. I’ll see about joining the reddit group.
Sell something on EBay and voila! you have a "business" So go clean out your closets and get moving on your new business 😉

Turns out this was a 🤦‍♀️ moment of mine. I think at Christmas I ordered from ShopDisney and had it delivered to my mom's house, and I didn't notice when delivery address defaulted to hers. Sure enough when I got to mom's this morning my packages were still on her porch. However one of the shirts I ordered for DS was not in the package, so I have contacted ShopDisney about that. Such a dumb mistake on my part.

A couple of years ago, every Costco order I made was delivered to my next door neighbor. I 'finally' looked at my account and there was their address as 'default'.

I hadn't noticed and I have no idea why it was on the account.

Changed it back and all is fine now.

That was a nice easy resolution :) Glad you located them!

Better than me sending my Soma order to my parents because they must have been my shoprunner default. I didn't even know until I got a text from my mom. And my dad opens all packages. Having a text conversation with my mom about my underwear was awkward. :rotfl2:

Honestly I'm confused (I only pay 1040 ES) but I don't really overpay my taxes. Last year I got a $2 refund.

They overpay to meet msr and float the money so they pay shortly before they file. If I'm understanding correctly from reading yesterday, they got their refunds without this last over payment and, at least yeaterday, seemed to think they'd have to wait until April to get the rest back.

I've been reading the tax stuff when I see it in the daily threads since I'll have capital gains taxes this year. I want to pay them once I have the proceeds vs waiting a year. I think I've got it sorted and have a screenshot of two places to pay but will ask here once I'm ready.

I'm going to have to find someone that can do NC taxea to figure confirm I do owe them capital gains as well, which I'm sure I do. I have read enough to find out I can use a credit card and the %. I might tuck that money aside and wait until I file next year though. Need to figure that out.out. Closing, as long as it goes as planned, is the 30th so I may wait and see if I can find a slightly bored NC tax person over the summer once most people have filed.

Already planning to max my IRA for next year to help along with mt $300 in donations since every little bit helps.

They overpay to meet msr and float the money so they pay shortly before they file. If I'm understanding correctly from reading yesterday, they got their refunds without this last over payment and, at least yeaterday, seemed to think they'd have to wait until April to get the rest back.

I've been reading the tax stuff when I see it in the daily threads since I'll have capital gains taxes this year. I want to pay them once I have the proceeds vs waiting a year. I think I've got it sorted and have a screenshot of two places to pay but will ask here once I'm ready.

I'm going to have to find someone that can do NC taxea to figure confirm I do owe them capital gains as well, which I'm sure I do. I have read enough to find out I can use a credit card and the %. I might tuck that money aside and wait until I file next year though. Need to figure that out.out. Closing, as long as it goes as planned, is the 30th so I may wait and see if I can find a slightly bored NC tax person over the summer once most people have filed.

Already planning to max my IRA for next year to help along with mt $300 in donations since every little bit helps.
Got it, thanks. Yeah, I'm definitely not doing that. I just calculate my federal taxes plus payroll taxes (employer portion too) and divide by four. Then for q4 I add 40% of any bonus I receive.

Better than me sending my Soma order to my parents because they must have been my shoprunner default. I didn't even know until I got a text from my mom. And my dad opens all packages. Having a text conversation with my mom about my underwear was awkward. :rotfl2:
A couple of months ago my dogs were going bezerk right before dinner and I found door dash dropping on my front steps. I got her attention and told her I didn’t order anything. She left very perplexed. Turned out it was my sons dinner. But he bought his own house a year and half earlier 😂. No idea what he was thinking.

A couple of months ago my dogs were going bezerk right before dinner and I found door dash dropping on my front steps. I got her attention and told her I didn’t order anything. She left very perplexed. Turned out it was my sons dinner. But he bought his own house a year and half earlier 😂. No idea what he was thinking.
Hope it was something you enjoyed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter