I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like Hawaiian Airlines is the one that operates a direct flight from MCO to Honolulu. Flying out of Orlando is just as convenient for us as flying out of Atlanta. I looked on HA website, and they list Bonvoy points as one of the ways to transfer points and book flights with them. So maybe it makes sense just to keep racking up Bonvoy points? Am I missing an obvious thing that would make opening an American Express or Chase card a better option? (Other than the welcome bonus.)

If I can’t book fully with points, they do allow you to book an economy ticket and upgrade to first class with points, which would also work for us.

Could I open the Chase card, get the bonus, transfer those to Bonvoy and then transfer again to Hawaiian?
I think you may want to consider looking into AMEX as MRs transfer 1:1 to Hawaiian airlines. Also they historically have had 40% transfer bonuses so you can transfer MRs to Hawaiian at an even better rate. Unless you have absolutely no use for Marriott points I don’t think that’s the best value. Also Barclay has 2 Hawaiian cards with pretty nice bonuses. They have a personal and a business card. I went with the business version as it’s 70k Hawaiian miles after 1k spend. I’m not sure what the current bonus is, but recommend you look at those cards. Holding a Barclay card also allows you to book at a reduced rate for points bookings, free checked bag, etc. The business card doesn’t take a 5/24 slot, but Barclay can require a little bit of extra effort. I had to mail them some identification information, but nothing pertaining to business. Just driver’s license and a utility bill. I also transferred some of my MRs to top off my account. @Lain has some really great information about Hawaiian miles. Maybe he can come out of hiding to help 😜

For those of you that have reached the $15K on your Hyatt, does the certificate post when the statement closes? After these last 2 pending charges post I'll be at $15K but I'm afraid the big charge won't post until after my statement closes tomorrow. Not that I need the certificate just yet, but I will.

DH applied for the AA Barclay Biz on 2/19 - still haven't heard anything.
They've completely stood me up twice now. Both times they asked for additional info (I think copies of my ID & SS card) and then they never did anything after I sent them those copies. Of course I never followed up with them either. Of course P2 was automatically approved with no other documents needed.

DH was only offered $35 retention on his SW priority, so we went ahead and cancelled. Now that points don't expire and we don't travel SW as much, didn't feel we needed it. Also had him call BOA to downgrade his premium to a no-fee card. Figured he should keep it open since he just got a biz card through them. He's got huge CL on both the BOA's.

Hi my name is Amy and I haven't looked at Chase PYB at all......

I've been holding onto/collecting URs for the Ireland trip w/ my DD and the Hawaii trip at some point with both kids. So I ask, am I missing out right now on redeeming with PYB?
That question is really different for everyone. I am using it a lot and we still have over 150,000 UR because we keep earning more. At 1.5 ratio I feel it is the same as using for travel, and I have had nothing but headaches trying to use a United credit for my DD through Chase travel that I am thinking twice about using them.

They've completely stood me up twice now. Both times they asked for additional info (I think copies of my ID & SS card) and then they never did anything after I sent them those copies. Of course I never followed up with them either. Of course P2 was automatically approved with no other documents needed.
I wish they would just do something.

Those are outside of the window. I definitely know of some folks that were able to use the April portion of the window to move some things around to late March today. You'll need to wait for the next window if those dates matter to you.
Gotcha. Last week's window included May so I assumed that was what was reopened.

I looked at dates this fall, Delta One with lie flat seating nonstop ATL-HNL is 320,000 points per person. It is 222,000 points per person if you are willing to go domestic first to Minneapolis and then Delta One lie flat to HNL. That is a large number of points that would need to come from either Delta Amex cards or transferring MR from AMEX.

To add to @IFlossU 's post, Bonvoy transfer to Hawaiian at 3:1. It's usually a poor value unless you're just topping off for a redemption.

If you're new to Amex, you may be able to pull up the 125k MR offer on the Platinum card, comes with 10% gas/groceries for 6 months. If not, there is also a 100k version.

Here's @Lain 's post about Hawaiian:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...r-addl-details.3821593/page-165#post-62696698

No interest in Schwab? If you take your current balance plus the Schwab SUB you'd end up with $3k in cash (offset partially by the annual fee).

Pulling up an old comment to ask a question. Does the cashout create a 1099 for the year? Just thinking of options. I know there have been higher signups in the past. Does anyone know how often the higher amounts happen?

200.gif

It looks like Hawaiian Airlines is the one that operates a direct flight from MCO to Honolulu. Flying out of Orlando is just as convenient for us as flying out of Atlanta. I looked on HA website, and they list Bonvoy points as one of the ways to transfer points and book flights with them. So maybe it makes sense just to keep racking up Bonvoy points? Am I missing an obvious thing that would make opening an American Express or Chase card a better option? (Other than the welcome bonus.)

If I can’t book fully with points, they do allow you to book an economy ticket and upgrade to first class with points, which would also work for us.

Could I open the Chase card, get the bonus, transfer those to Bonvoy and then transfer again to Hawaiian?

First, you should familiarize yourself with Hawaiian's awards chart: https://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2218/~/hawaiianmiles-award-chart

This will give you an idea the range of how many miles you'll need. You'll see First Class one-way flights from/to Hawaii-East Coast is 40,000 HawaiianMiles for saver fare, or regularly 130,000 HawaiianMiles. Again, this is for one-way, per person. FWIW, I've never seen First Class saver award fares. I'm not saying they don't exist, but unless you sign up for a service like JuicyMiles or ExpertFlyer to actively look for these saver fares for you, it's very unlikely you'll happen upon them when booking. The chart also lists Upgrade Award amounts, but I've never done this and can't speak to it.

Marriott Bonvoy points do transfer to HA, but as @wanderlust7 pointed out, it's a terrible value and won't get you very far. About two years ago, Marriott merged its and SPG's loyalty programs and consolidated their credit card portfolios that are split between Chase and Amex. Marriott implemented some very convoluted eligibility rules for each of the Marriott credit cards that have the effect of severely limiting what card bonuses you can get if you have or had one of the other Marriott cards or received one of the bonuses in the past two years. The Marriott card bonuses fluctuate between 75k-125k, but I believe are all currently only 75k. It is very hard nowadays to earn Marriott points in any substantial amount from just credit card bonuses. Say you're able to open two of these cards and are eligible for their bonuses, you're looking at something like 200k Marriott points, which you're thinking about transferring to HA at 3:1 (with a 5k miles bonus for every 60k points you transfer) for fewer than 100k HawaiianMiles. Even if you have a second player involved, a Marriott member can transfer only 100k points to another Marriott member in a calendar year, so it's hard to combine your Marriott points stashes too.

I think you may want to consider looking into AMEX as MRs transfer 1:1 to Hawaiian airlines. Also they historically have had 40% transfer bonuses so you can transfer MRs to Hawaiian at an even better rate. Unless you have absolutely no use for Marriott points I don’t think that’s the best value. Also Barclay has 2 Hawaiian cards with pretty nice bonuses. They have a personal and a business card. I went with the business version as it’s 70k Hawaiian miles after 1k spend. I’m not sure what the current bonus is, but recommend you look at those cards. Holding a Barclay card also allows you to book at a reduced rate for points bookings, free checked bag, etc. The business card doesn’t take a 5/24 slot, but Barclay can require a little bit of extra effort. I had to mail them some identification information, but nothing pertaining to business. Just driver’s license and a utility bill. I also transferred some of my MRs to top off my account. @Lain has some really great information about Hawaiian miles. Maybe he can come out of hiding to help 😜

This is all very good advice, especially as it relates to looking at Amex MR cards and the Barclays Hawaiian credit cards. I've posted about HawaiianMiles and Amex MR previously. Just do a DIS search for "HawaiianMiles" by "Lain" and it should pull up my previous posts. My only two edits to the above is Amex typically runs a 25% transfer bonus from MR to HawaiianMiles every year, but I don't think Amex ran one in 2020. And holding a Hawaiian credit card allows you to receive HawaiianMiles from anyone without any fees, so it makes it easy to pool HawaiianMiles from your other players to you or the person holding the Hawaiian credit card who has access to the discounted award fares.

These are the current offers for Barclays' two Hawaiian cards:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclays-60000-hawaiian-airlines-bonus-annual-fee-waived-first-year/ (Not expired)

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclays-70000-mile-hawaiian-business-offer/ (Still valid)

Keep in mind the personal card will add to your 5/24 count (this thread has explained that to you, right?). So, it may not be the best card for you or any players if getting more Chase cards matters to you.

To add to @IFlossU 's post, Bonvoy transfer to Hawaiian at 3:1. It's usually a poor value unless you're just topping off for a redemption.

If you're new to Amex, you may be able to pull up the 125k MR offer on the Platinum card, comes with 10% gas/groceries for 6 months. If not, there is also a 100k version.

Here's @Lain 's post about Hawaiian:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...r-addl-details.3821593/page-165#post-62696698

Amex MR points transfer to HA, and it's quite easy to accumulate a lot of MR relatively quickly with generous SUBs, "supportal" bonuses from other players using your link to open their own cards, and lots of business credit and charge cards that don't add to your 5/24 count. The 100k or 125k MR personal Platinum is a solid exception to deviating from Chase while you're under 5/24.

If you get deeper into the Amex rabbit hole, the Biz Plat might be worth looking into because if you select Hawaiian as your preferred airline, you could essentially redeem your MR points for HA's cash fares at an effective 1.53 cpp. Some math to consider vs. transferring MR to HA to redeem for award fares.

Similarly, while you can’t transfer Chase UR points to HawaiianMiles, you can use UR to book HA’s cash fares through the UR travel portal (ideally with the CSR’s 1.5 cpp). So if you accumulate a lot of Chase UR, you should compare buying HA tickets with UR as “cash” worth up to 1.5¢/point on the UR travel portal vs. getting the same seats via other methods.

Last edited:
Do you have a child or male friend who could call?
I would just call. With everything that is going on in the world who is to say whether George is a male or female.
My dd and her bf are coming this weekend to help me with storm cleanup. I suppose I could ask him to call but would just as soon not involve him. Guess I'll have to pull up my big girl panties and act like a man. 😆

I just got my cb e-mail from Rakuten for Wine Insiders and it's $0.46. I was going to order anyways, but $44.50 cb would've been nice.

My dd and her bf are coming this weekend to help me with storm cleanup. I suppose I could ask him to call but would just as soon not involve him. Guess I'll have to pull up my big girl panties and act like a man. 😆

I know you don't want it out there but it seems way better to cancel than pay a fee on the card. I realize you aren't using it but it would also look bad. They'll all eventually find out anyway so best to cancel this one and get the others sorted before that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter