I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can transfer URs to SW RR points 1-1....this is what I have done the few times we needed a more RR points to book a trip..then just add the companion.
i have never booked a SW flight with URs...It doesn’t show as an option on the travel portal, but I seem to remember previously people saying they called in to do it...not sure if that is still an option.

Do the rewards you earn with the SW card also transfer back to Chase UR? The part that starts to feel overwhelming is when it is most ideal to earn the CP. I have heard if you receive the reward at the beginning of the year, It is valid for two years, but if you receive the CP as a reward in December, it is only good through the end of the following year. Is that true? We have not been traveling much at all due to the pandemic and we are starting to think about an Orlando trip next year, there’s still so much up in the air it makes planning difficult.

We do not live near a large airport. The closest airport is about three hours from us and, The airport where we most recently flew Southwest (Albany) is four hours from us. That means limited options flying with SW. We did like flying Southwest. We had a direct flight and that was very nice.

Do the rewards you earn with the SW card also transfer back to Chase UR? The part that starts to feel overwhelming is when it is most ideal to earn the CP. I have heard if you receive the reward at the beginning of the year, It is valid for two years, but if you receive the CP as a reward in December, it is only good through the end of the following year. Is that true? We have not been traveling much at all due to the pandemic and we are starting to think about an Orlando trip next year, there’s still so much up in the air it makes planning difficult.

We do not live near a large airport. The closest airport is about three hours from us and, The airport where we most recently flew Southwest (Albany) is four hours from us. That means limited options flying with SW. We did like flying Southwest. We had a direct flight and that was very nice.
No you cannot transfer SW RR points back into Chase URs.

The ideal time to earn a CP is as early in the year as possible so it’s good for the rest of that year..say 2021 and all of 2022. If it’s earned in December 2020...it’s good until the end of 2021

Woohoo! I absolutely, positively, DETEST making phone calls, but I forced myself to for my Reserve. Earlier in the year, I was certain I’d be cancelling it, but, since they kept the fee at $450, added the Door Dash credit, added pay yourself back, and increased point earning on a few things here and there, I had decided I’d probably keep it at least one more year. Thanks to people on here and reports on DOC, I screwed up my courage and made the retention call anyway. Bam! $250! And here I was hoping for $150.

Side note: while I generally fall on the introvert side of things, I’m not shy or anything. I just have always hated making calls, even for good reasons, like rsvps and the like. Just a weird personality quirk. But, now I’m kicking myself for just meekly paying the $95 fee on my Bonvoy card pretty much the second it posted. Although, to be sure, that retention offer, if there had been one, would NOT have been $250.

Anyhow, feeling pretty darn proud of myself for making the call. (And I didn’t even have to have a glass of wine first. Going to go have one now, though.😀)
I wonder, is that retention for the $450 or $550 AF? I'm really thinking about this- but I know if I make the call and get an offer,I'll have to keep the card another year..not sure I want it.... (I will have to keep it if I take an offer,right?)

Do you need the cards ASAP...if not maybe wait until the holidays are over and start the MDD on 1/4. If you are auto approved 12/21...then the timing is easy for the second card on 12/22, but if you aren’t and the approval comes on 12/24, they will be closed 12/25 and the weekend.
Also make sure your CLs with Chase leave enough room to be approved for both cards.
Unfortunately yes. Dd's tuition and res fees are due on January 10th. With the lag time between mail arriving at our house in Florida, then being couriered up here (once every 10 or so days), I am worried about making the payment to her university in time.

Is it essential to wait a week after pc'ing my CSR? I could pc it on Monday (I need to transfer the URs on the December 14th statement).

My current CLs with Chase should be low enough, but I'm going to message them now and lower a bit more just to be safe.

Unfortunately yes. Dd's tuition and res fees are due on January 10th. With the lag time between mail arriving at our house in Florida, then being couriered up here (once every 10 or so days), I am worried about making the payment to her university in time.

Is it essential to wait a week after pc'ing my CSR? I could pc it on Monday (I need to transfer the URs on the December 14th statement).

My current CLs with Chase should be low enough, but I'm going to message them now and lower a bit more just to be safe.
Since I haven’t PCd a card then applied I’m not sure about the week...hopefully someone else has experience with it
Sending :tink:you get both cards

So, just to follow up and close the loop:

1) I applied for a SW Biz card in early Nov, got a "we're reviewing your application" message
2) Once I saw the 80k promo come out for the personal card, I applied for that as well near the end of Nov. Got the same "reviewing" message.
3) Got a denial letter a week or so ago re: biz application for valid reasons
4) Got a denial letter a few days ago re: personal application that just said "too many applications or accounts with us"
5) Called in to ask about the personal denial. I thought the 30 day application window counted biz/personal apps separately. (I must have been wrong)
6) They did a "manual" review of my personal app and approved it, yay

I'll of course hit the MSR for 80k, but I really want that companion pass so I gotta figure out how to get that up to 125 ASAP!

I would NOT want this to be my 1st year. So many teachers are losing it. TBH, in my career I've taught through HELL a few times (to the point of a mental breakdown and 6 mos of leave). So this pandemic teaching is CAKE! I mean I had students setting fires in my class and I was the one getting reprimanded because I didn't tell them they couldn't do that! Yes, apparently when teaching MS you have to tell them all the things you CAN'T do in class! I was like, my 1st grader KNOWS not to set a fire! I had students spray painting male body parts all over the classroom. Students swinging on electrical cord drops like Tarzan, etc. They WOULD NOT punish the students and they couldn't understand why I had issues! Heck one 7th grader was caught with pot and they did nothing! Needless to say I'm very happy to no longer be in that district....and that district was ANN ARBOR! We're talking a NICE area!

So pandemic....easy peasy, LOL!

She is doing fine. I think that there will be a lot of teachers retiring as soon as they possibly can. Infact, my DD got her current job 6 weeks before she even finished her student teaching. She just mentioned tonight that some of her senior students were never taught how to type or organize files in their chrome books. She showed them and they were so happy!

I have a question about the Southwest Companion Pass. I’ve been reluctant to even explore it just because we already have quite a bit of points that we could use towards airlines through Chase UR, and I was worried by going with Southwest we would be putting all of our eggs into one basket, making our flight options more limited. The whole Southwest companion process also seemed daunting. I’m already taking on a lot right now working from home and assisting with virtual learning. Anyway, my question is, If we were to get a SW CP, would we be able to use that with our Chase UR? In other words, use the rewards to buy a Southwest flight and get a free ticket with the CP for a travel companion? Of course, that’s provided Southwest is even available through Chase UR. So I would not hesitate to pursue a SW CP in your shoes at some point here. What remains to be seen is whether a 2021/2022 CP is a good idea - probably depends on how much travel you're planning for in 2021.
I feel like you're looking at this a bit backwards. Getting SW points would not be "putting your eggs into one basket" - it would actually be the opposite. Chase URs are good for so many other things besides SW flights. I earn SW points to fly on SW - it's the best use of those points. And I earn URs for other things.

I know there was a lot of other responses to this today so I won't reiterate what others said. I am happy to have lots of SW points and happy to have lots of URs (well had lots of URs...I cash them all out as soon as I can, lol).
How often do they offer the 75K for CSP? Wondering if I should continue to wait for it or just take the 60K in rewards......
Extremely rare... the 80k offer on CSP that happened a few months back was basically an all-time high in the post CSR era (from Aug 2016 on). Once in awhile there are targeted offers for a higher bonus but those are also extremely rare,
@SouthFayetteFan @palhockeymomof2 @platamama and any others who might be able to help. I will be eligible to do my long-awaited MDD on Monday. However first I have to use my travel credit (which resets on Monday). I will PC my CSR on Wednesday. I believe I should wait until the 21st to do the MDD, but worry with it being a few days before Christmas. Any recommendations? I don't really mind if I can't make use of the travel credit, but hate leaving it "out there".

I want to go over the recommendations once again to ensure that I don't screw it up. Is there somewhere on the dischurners where I can look? I perused the other day but couldn't find anything specific to the MDD!
I'm really hesitant to weigh in on timing to receive a card. Only you can decide if the timing will work and what the downside is if the card doesn't get to you in time for what you're attempting to do. There's just too much unknown on how this will all work on a compressed time scale. And I would hate to say "do this" and then it doesn't work.

MDD is easy - apply for the card you want most on day 1 and get approved. Apply for the other card on day 2 and get approved. :D

Here is my little write-up on it:

So, just to follow up and close the loop:

1) I applied for a SW Biz card in early Nov, got a "we're reviewing your application" message
2) Once I saw the 80k promo come out for the personal card, I applied for that as well near the end of Nov. Got the same "reviewing" message.
3) Got a denial letter a week or so ago re: biz application for valid reasons
4) Got a denial letter a few days ago re: personal application that just said "too many applications or accounts with us"
5) Called in to ask about the personal denial. I thought the 30 day application window counted biz/personal apps separately. (I must have been wrong)
6) They did a "manual" review of my personal app and approved it, yay

I'll of course hit the MSR for 80k, but I really want that companion pass so I gotta figure out how to get that up to 125 ASAP!
Congrats on getting through recon on your personal card!!

So it's been a little slower around here lately. Part of that is definitely the reduced travel and we just aren't attracting a lot of newer folks to the thread which creates activity and buzz. DIS traffic as a whole has to be down.

I also know that some of the shutdowns and craziness that happened earlier this year drove people away from the game, and the whole thing is cyclical too. Long term churners are rare... many people just decide the game isn't for them after a few cards.

That said, I'm interested in hearing what everybody has to say on this discussion topic:
Do you personally feel churning has improved or worsened this year?
I'm not looking for a commentary on what went well or poorly from a global churning perspective - I purely mean this on a YOU level. Perhaps your churning has improved because you got more educated on what was available. Perhaps a benefit introduced by a card worked perfectly with your strategy. Or perhaps, the things that died this year made things worse. Weigh in, join in, let's drum up a little fun activity here!

I feel like you're looking at this a bit backwards. Getting SW points would not be "putting your eggs into one basket" - it would actually be the opposite. Chase URs are good for so many other things besides SW flights. I earn SW points to fly on SW - it's the best use of those points. And I earn URs for other things.

I know there was a lot of other responses to this today so I won't reiterate what others said. I am happy to have lots of SW points and happy to have lots of URs (well had lots of URs...I cash them all out as soon as I can, lol).

Extremely rare... the 80k offer on CSP that happened a few months back was basically an all-time high in the post CSR era (from Aug 2016 on). Once in awhile there are targeted offers for a higher bonus but those are also extremely rare,

I'm really hesitant to weigh in on timing to receive a card. Only you can decide if the timing will work and what the downside is if the card doesn't get to you in time for what you're attempting to do. There's just too much unknown on how this will all work on a compressed time scale. And I would hate to say "do this" and then it doesn't work.

MDD is easy - apply for the card you want most on day 1 and get approved. Apply for the other card on day 2 and get approved. :D

Here is my little write-up on it:

I think I'll wait until the 21st to apply for the CSP, then the CSR on the 22nd. From what I have read there is no penalty if I pay dd's res and tuition a few days late. I don't see any issues with my applications: my credit limits are low and I always pay in full every month.

So it's been a little slower around here lately. Part of that is definitely the reduced travel and we just aren't attracting a lot of newer folks to the thread which creates activity and buzz. DIS traffic as a whole has to be down.

I also know that some of the shutdowns and craziness that happened earlier this year drove people away from the game, and the whole thing is cyclical too. Long term churners are rare... many people just decide the game isn't for them after a few cards.

That said, I'm interested in hearing what everybody has to say on this discussion topic:
I'm not looking for a commentary on what went well or poorly from a global churning perspective - I purely mean this on a YOU level. Perhaps your churning has improved because you got more educated on what was available. Perhaps a benefit introduced by a card worked perfectly with your strategy. Or perhaps, the things that died this year made things worse. Weigh in, join in, let's drum up a little fun activity here!
I'm a slow churner, so this year hasn't had any impact on me. I haven't applied for any US cards since February, which is a long-time for me. But I also don't have any big spends these days with dd's horse sold.
My biggest expenses going forward will be her tuition and rent (she has as apartment downtown next year). Tuition can be paid twice a year, rent will be monthly. There are property taxes, payable on Plastiq. I've never done any MS.
I must say that I am looking forward to getting another Citi AA biz card in April, 2021 though!

This year has slowed me down, which isn't a bad thing. I was still able to refer a P3 to an Amex no AF card during the 3X add'l MRs on my (rose) gold so I'm earning 7x MRs on grocery and restaurants which is huge. I'm under 5/24 again and this will set me up for whenever I decide to wade into Chase waters and overall, the additional enticements by Chase and Amex to spend in certain categories have kept my brain active and churning relevant to me. It's been an odd year but definitely not bad from my churning perspective. :goodvibes

I've only been doing this a little over 2 years. First year was the most exciting. I want allll the cards. 😆 The middle of this year felt slow, but has picked up the last few months. The retention offers have worked out well for me, as well as the Amex Covid credits. Though I'm sad to have all these premium cards with nowhere to go! 🤞next year will be better!

I think I'll wait until the 21st to apply for the CSP, then the CSR on the 22nd. From what I have read there is no penalty if I pay dd's res and tuition a few days late. I don't see any issues with my applications: my credit limits are low and I always pay in full every month.
Hopefully you are auto approved on the 21st if not as you probably know you need to wait until it is to apply for the second card the next day

Last edited:

For me since we couldn’t use our Chase URs for travel the Chase PYB on my CSR has been great....I also traded our Amex MRs for Buy Buy BAby gift cards since my daughter is due with our first grandchild :cloud9:January 6th

I imagine that would be us, slightly less than an hour from there. Though in the winter it is the worst drive ever and I wouldn't want to do that drive often in the winter. Love the Deep Creek area, but I am content with visiting, lol, I would not want to live there full time. Though I have a friend that was originally from that area and she actually drives back for her kids doctor's appointments because she wanted to go back to her childhood doctor. Seemed crazy to me. lol
Yeah, does sound crazy. They ended up building near Morgantown where son is employed by WVU hospitals. My biggest concern about moving is having to find new doctors to follow my weird medical issues.

As a newbie to this world I think the 2nd half of 2020 was an outstanding time for churning. My Platinum card was a definite MVP. Like a lot of people I received a ton of value with minimal spend. Especially since it’s my first year holding the card. I just paid the AF and didn’t even flinch. Well worth it 👍🏻

I’m glad I was patient with 4/24 status even though I was ready to bust out last Spring. There were so many great offers and benefits on cards, it provided me a nice distraction from “real life.” I switched from vacation planning mode to credit card strategy. I’ve had a ton of FOMO with some of the great sign up offers we may never see again, but I’ve forced myself to start thinking about the long game. So far it appears to be paying off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter