• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I just booked our first cruise! Happy but concerned.

w8ting4pooh

Commando planner
We are going on the 7 Night western cruise.

We booked 2 connecting navigator cabins. Are these big enough rooms for a family of 6? We plan to have the four kids in one and Mom and Dad in another.

Another concern - most of the "cool" activities are for ages 5 and up. The youngest turns 5 the week after we get back. Are there enough fun things to do in the port cities without doing the 'excursions' or is this unsafe? Would it be cruel to go on a 2 hour excursion without the 4 year old? Do the shipboard sitters watch the kids if the parents aren't on board? I don't feel comfortable doing that but I'm just asking.

I have only been on a boat once - when I sailed from Spain to Tangier, Morocco. I was feeling mighty sick during this trip. It was just a few hours (if that) and that has me concerned. Do many people get sick on the ship? A week is a mighty long time to feel that sick.

Thanks for your help and I'm excited!!!!!!!!!!! This will be the kids first trip "abroad." :smooth:

The two rooms should be more than enough room. There are two twin beds, the sofa converts to a twin bed and then a "bunk" bed that pulls down from the wall.

You should be able to find something "safe" in all the ports to do. Also, you can leave the kids in the clubs. If you do that, just let them know so they don't try to page you and you don't reply. You do sign a medical release form, so if something happens they can do first aid etc.

Talk to your dr. about what types of meds you should/ can take in case you get sick. You probably won't feel that much motion, but better be safe than sorry!

Have fun!

I thought the navigator verandah rooms only slept 3? Isnt that a catagory 7? You will not have a problem with the 6 in the 2 rooms, but depending on if any children will sleep with the others, one may have to bunk in your room. Maybe someone will let the 4 yr old sleep with them. You can get something from your room attendant to keep the connecting doors open.

Congrats on booking your cruise! you will have a GREAT time. I don't have kids, but we had a porthole room for two- I would think that a connecting room will be plenty for you guys. They really are big rooms compared to others-

We were very concerned that DH would be sick the whole week as well, but we had him start on Bromine a day or two before we left and he took one every day of the 7 days and had no problems at all. You can also get something from your doctor if over the counter stuff doesn't work. They also have a first aid/doctor's office onboard and they could probably give you something as well, but better to do it before you leave.

Have a MAGICAL vacation!

Yes, the category 7 rooms will only hold 3 people each....no ceiling bed. I'd still pile all the kids in the one room. They'll be fine. I took packing tape and taped the latch down on the connecting doors. That way they stayed closed, but we only had to push them open.

The Navigators do only hold 3. So in one room you can leave the bed as a king and have 3 sleep in it and then one on the couch, or have it spparated into twin beds with the couch. Either way if you want the kids to all sleep in the same room someone is going to have to share. Or one kid can sleep on your couch and then everyone gets their own bed.

Another concern - most of the "cool" activities are for ages 5 and up. The youngest turns 5 the week after we get back.

If your child is within 1 month of turning 5(which it sounds like he/she is) you will be able to put them in the 5-7 group instead of the 3-4 group.

Originally posted by WDWLVR
The Navigators do only hold 3. So in one room you can leave the bed as a king and have 3 sleep in it and then one on the couch, or have it spparated into twin beds with the couch.

Our room only had two twin beds which only made a queen bed when they were pushed together. Depending on the age of the kids 3 in that bed would be a little tight.

I've been on the ferry from Morocco to Spain also. There is NO comparison to that ferry and a cruise ship. The Straits of Gabralter (sp?) are VERY rough compared to the Caribbean.Have a great time! When are you sailing?

W8ing4pooh, I think what Nikswims meant to say was that you could take Bonine for motion sickness. You can buy it over the counter at any drug or grocery store. My friend takes it for plane trips & everything and it works great. The motion from the ships is only a very gentle rocking, and not very often. You'll be fine, and will love it!
If your youngest is that close to turning 5, you could call the excursion desk (even now, just to ask a general question) and find out if he/she would be allowed to go on the excursions with you, unless they specifically say a certain age (like 8 & up, or whatever). Lots of people leave their kids, even babies, onboard and go on excursions. It's very safe, just don't be late getting back to the ship. The worst part about doing that (at least in my family) is that it would be too hard for the older kids to resist talking about their day in front of the little one, which could make him/her feel bad. Good luck, and have fun!

Thanks for all the replies! We sail May 22nd. The fourth child would be turning five the week after we get back. He is pretty tall but all the kids are really skinny. LOL. We could probably fit them all together. It was the Disney cruise reservations person who suggested that we could put them all together and shut the door. I assumed that she meant there was room for 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter