I hope we love it! I am sure we will! Uh no - we don't! Mickeystoontown's 16 day trip! Updated 9/5!

Welcome back! Hoping all is well with your family.
Lucky you, seeing the gorillas out and being active, especially the one in the trees. That must have been such fun to watch.

You had terrific seating for the Lion King show. I love how you were able to photograph the happy expressions on the performers. This show is the only WDW show that I must see every visit. The music, familiarity with the characters and theater in the round atmosphere brings me such joy!

Flame Tree BBQ is a favorite dining location for us. On our 1st visit there, one son lost a tooth and the other discovered he loved PBnJ lunchables. It's funny what we remember. How was that mac n cheese combo? It seems like an unusual combination to put together.

You had me LOL with Lacey searching your drawers for drawers. You said you brought along 4 pairs and were washing your undies each night.....you must love your fresh bloomers!

Thanks for coming back to your TR. I look forward to reading about your family reunited at WDW, especially now that your kiddos are all adults.

Thanks for sticking with me! It has been so very busy around our household that I barely remember my name.

Love to watch the gorillas! I could stay there for hours too. Glad to see you're back!
Me too! I love the gorillas!
Just saw your other updates! What a fun day you had in AK. I've read that the Lion King show is back in full form now. Can't wait to hear about your time with all your family there. Hope all is well with your Mama. Thanks for coming back to post!

Thank you for sticking with me!

You love me! You realllllly love me!

If you have read my past trip reports, you know that I am very scared of heights. But I love Expedition Everest. John doesn't care for it because he said the part that goes backwards hurts his back because it's so jerky. But, he loves me, he really loves me so he agreed to ride it with me. Again, Disney did an excellent job with the details.

IMG_3936.JPEG

IMG_3937.JPEG

Look how big the bamboo is!

IMG_3938.JPEG

IMG_3939.JPEG

IMG_3940.JPEG

IMG_3941.JPEG

Every time John sees this imprint of the footprint, he has to tell me about his older brother and friends who made Bigfoot tracks through an open field and then stuck some black hair on a couple of limbs in the woods. It fooled a lot of people in their tiny little town until they ended up telling the story to one too many friends at school and their joke was up. They were in the newspaper and everything.

IMG_3942.JPEG

Luckily, the line wasn't too long and we were boarding the front car of the train. We were off!

IMG_3943.JPEG

IMG_3944.JPEG

He loves me! He reallllly loves me! continued in next post

He loves me! He reallllly loves me! continued

IMG_3946.JPEG

Looking out and to the side when I am this high scares the crap out of me but I managed to take a couple:

IMG_3947.JPEG

IMG_3948.JPEG

IMG_3949.JPEG

I was attempting to take a picture of the Yeti but I got this:

IMG_3950.JPEG

And one as we were about to make that steep drop:
IMG_3951.JPEG

I was thankful that John agreed to ride with me because it was so much fun!

**Up next: Here kitty kitty!

Here kitty kitty!

We had the privilege of visiting Animal Kingdom just a month after they opened the park. It's so cool to see how it has, literally, grown since it's opening. We had a tradition of Hunter taking his picture with the prayer flag tree and the hidden Mickey in the tiger mural. Even though Hunter wasn't with us yet, I still wanted to take some pictures.

IMG_3953.JPEG

IMG_3954.JPEG

One of John pointing to the hidden Mickey:

IMG_3956.JPEG

If you like to look for Hidden Mickeys, the Maharajah Jungle Trek is a great place to search. There are quite a few painted into the murals.

IMG_3957.JPEG

We took the steps to the viewing area and the tigers were out!

IMG_3959.JPEG

Well the next picture isn't a tiger but some of the props along the pathway:

IMG_3960.JPEG

You can see the tiger lying near the window:

IMG_3961.JPEG
IMG_3965.JPEG

IMG_3966.JPEG

IMG_3967.JPEG

Continued in next post

I have to say, I'm totally enjoying your TR! You're pictures and attention to detail are awesome!!! Looks like you're having a blast so far and I'm looking forward to your next update! I'm sorry to read about your Mama, I'm glad she is better though, I can't imagine your fear when you found her!!! We're looking forward to our next trip in January and I think you may have inspired a TR in my future! I've never done one but maybe this time I will :flower:

I have to say, I'm totally enjoying your TR! You're pictures and attention to detail are awesome!!! Looks like you're having a blast so far and I'm looking forward to your next update! I'm sorry to read about your Mama, I'm glad she is better though, I can't imagine your fear when you found her!!! We're looking forward to our next trip in January and I think you may have inspired a TR in my future! I've never done one but maybe this time I will :flower:
Thank you! Mama is doing lots better now. The fall was a nasty one but it healed quite well.

January will be here before you know it! If you do start a report, let me know so I had can read along.

Birds of a feather poop together!

After watching the tigers for a while, we continued down the trek and came to the aviary. I enjoy walking around and looking at the elaborate bird feeders and houses.
IMG_3977.JPEG

IMG_3978.JPEG

There were birds everywhere een on top of one of the feeders:

IMG_3979.JPEG

As I am sure you can imagine, with so many birds in one area, there was poop too. I laughed out loud when one little girl said "poop came out his butt!" . Everyone in the aviary could hear her and all of us laughed. Her mother turned twenty shades of red.

IMG_3980.JPEG

IMG_3981.JPEG

IMG_3983.JPEG

IMG_3984.JPEG

**Up next: I could go for a little something sweet right now.

I could go for a little something sweet right now.

After our trek through the Maharajah Jungle, we decided we needed a little something sweet. There is a small sweet shop located in the store in Africa so we started in that direction. There were several people in line so I wasn't able to get a good picture of the options.

IMG_3985.JPEG

I chose a large Mickey cookie and John got one that was shaped like a gingerbread man (I didn't get a picture). I also bought a bottled Coke to share. I wish that I could write that the cookies were amazing but they weren't. I actualy ended up throwing away most of mine. John ate about half of his and that's it. They were cute though.
IMG_3986.JPEG

While eating our snacks, I called Mama to check in on her. When I asked what she was doing, she gave me her usual answer "oh just sitting and rocking". I asked if she had looked at the calendar to see where we were that day and who was coming by to check on her that day. She had and was waiting on my sister to stop by. We talked for a little while longer and told her that we would call again tomorrow.

We also received a text from Lacey letting me know that she had my undies packed and, of course, she had to make a joke about it. I didn't mind because I would have joked about it too if it were her. She said that she would let us know when they left work and were on the road. They would be driving halfway tonight and arriving in the afternoon/early evening the next day.

After sending a few text messages to one another, I checked the app and the safari wait time was a short one. Even though we had already done it once today, we decided to take another safari.

IMG_3987.JPEG

The painted dogs were lazing around in their den.

IMG_3990.JPEG

IMG_3991.JPEG
I am going to apologize because I cannot remember the name of these monkeys.
IMG_3992.JPEG

IMG_3993.JPEG

**Continued in next post

Attachments

• IMG_3994.JPEG
    IMG_3994.JPEG
    114.2 KB · Views: 3
Continued from above

Our first safari of the day had been a good one and I wondered if this safari would be as good or even better. We entered the savanna and, Woo Hoo, there were giraffes. Lots and lots of giraffe.

IMG_3996.JPEG

IMG_3997.JPEG

IMG_3998.JPEG

IMG_3999.JPEG

IMG_4001.JPEG

Everyone oohed and aahed over the giraffe. They were beautiful! The driver took it as slow as he could but it was time to continue our safari.

Did you know that flamingo island is shaped like a hidden Mickey? No? Well, you do now!

IMG_4002.JPEG

IMG_4003.JPEG
IMG_4004.JPEG
**Continued in next post

Attachments

• IMG_4005.JPEG
    IMG_4005.JPEG
    96.9 KB · Views: 2
Continued from above

I am the king! Hear me roar!

Our driver/tour guide pointed out a large rhino coming our way.
IMG_4008.JPEG

Here he comes!
IMG_4009.JPEG

We had to wait a little while for him to cross the road and get to where he was going before we could move on. It's just so cool to see a large animal like that up close. We left the rhino behind and rounded the turn. Would the lions be out and about still? Or would they be sleeping their day away?

He was awake!

IMG_4010.JPEG

IMG_4012.JPEG

IMG_4013.JPEG

The lioness was napping though:

IMG_4014.JPEG

The driver drove slowly so we could take pictures and I was taking a lot.

IMG_4015.JPEG

IMG_4016.JPEG

IMG_4018.JPEG

**Up next: I gotta have a caffeine and thrill fix!

Last edited:
You're having a terrific animal experience. Your tiger photo is great!
When I see the lions napping on Pride Rock, I wonder if there's air conditioning to keep them cool. They always seem to be sprawled in the same place.

Thank you! Mama is doing lots better now. The fall was a nasty one but it healed quite well.

January will be here before you know it! If you do start a report, let me know so I had can read along.
I'm glad to hear Mama healed quite well! That's great news!
I'll definitely let you know if I start a report, I've never done one so we'll see if I can put something together.

You're having a terrific animal experience. Your tiger photo is great!
When I see the lions napping on Pride Rock, I wonder if there's air conditioning to keep them cool. They always seem to be sprawled in the same place.
We were very fortunate to have seen so many animals out and about.

I have actually heard that the rocks are cooled and heated so the lions will gravitate towards them.
I'm glad to hear Mama healed quite well! That's great news!
I'll definitely let you know if I start a report, I've never done one so we'll see if I can put something together.

I'm seeing a trip report in your future!

I gotta have a caffeine and thrill fix!

John typically drinks coffee every morning and every evening but when we are in Disney or any trip for that matter, his coffee schedule is thrown off. He was in need of a caffeine fix. I don't like coffee but I do like frappuccinos so we headed to Starbucks. John got some sort of hot coffee and I chose a holiday frap. We found a table outside and people watched while we sipped our drinks.

IMG_4019.JPEG

Once we had our caffeine fix, it was time for the thrill fix. Where better to get our thrill on but Flights of Passage.

When Animal Kingdom first opened, this area was Camp Minnie Mickey and we made many memories there. So, when they announced that they would be changing it to Pandora, we didn't know how we felt about it. I made myself watch Avatar before we visited the first time after its transformation so that I would know what I was looking at. When we walked down the walkway to Pandora for the first time, we were immediately blown away by the transformation. It still takes my breath away.

IMG_4024.JPEG

IMG_4025.JPEG

IMG_4026.JPEG

John and I had never been through the entire queue at Flights of Passage. The line moved so quickly this time that we still breezed through the queue and were soon in the pre-show area.

IMG_4027.JPEG

IMG_4028.JPEG

I snapped a quick picture of the ride "vehicle" before tucking my things into the bin and then we hopped on.

IMG_4029.JPEGEven though I have the fear of heights, I love Flights of Passage. I do squeal and laugh when we dive and soar over Pandora but the ride is so good that I tolerate the fear. We gathered our things from the bin, looked in a the store and then decided to check out the wait time for Navi River Journey.

IMG_4030.JPEG

IMG_4031.JPEG

The wait time was not prohibitively long so in we went. In no time at all, we were floating down the Navi River.

Continued in next post

We were very fortunate to have seen so many animals out and about.

I have actually heard that the rocks are cooled and heated so the lions will gravitate towards them.

I'm seeing a trip report in your future!
Years ago not long after AK opened we talked to a CM about the lions on the rocks. He said at first they couldn’t get them to stay up there so they would take frozen rabbits up and leave them on the rocks but the lions would just go up, get the rabbits and then take them down to a shady spot to eat. not Sure if this is true or what they figured out but this was his story and sure sounded plausible to us. This was very early days at AK when they were figuring things out

I gotta have a caffeine and thrill fix! continued

I took one last selfie in the Pandora area before we moved on to another area of the park:

IMG_3763.JPEG

We stopped and watched the otters and then the flamingos who were acting especially flamingo-y today.

IMG_4042.JPEG

IMG_4043.JPEG

We had dinner reservations at the Polynesian, but we still had a bit of time to explore Dinoland. I know a lot of people didn't like Primeval Whirl but I liked it. Dinoland looked strange with it gone.

IMG_4045.JPEG

IMG_4046.JPEG

I was thinking that we rode Dinosaur, but I don't see pictures so I'm guessing that we didn't. Otherwise, I would have pictures.

We said goodbye to Animal Kingdom for the day but we would return later in the trip. We went to the bus stop and, instead of going back to Coronado Springs, we caught a bus to the Polynesian. We were having dinner at one of our favorite restaurants.

**Up next: Well, this is certainly different!

Years ago not long after AK opened we talked to a CM about the lions on the rocks. He said at first they couldn’t get them to stay up there so they would take frozen rabbits up and leave them on the rocks but the lions would just go up, get the rabbits and then take them down to a shady spot to eat. not Sure if this is true or what they figured out but this was his story and sure sounded plausible to us. This was very early days at AK when they were figuring things out

That definitely sounds like a plausible story so I'd believe it too!

Well, this is certainly different!

Every trip, I search for reservations at O'hana and most times I am successful like this year.

We entered the resort and went directly to the check-in desk where we were told that we were too early to check in. We were 20 minutes early and you can only check in 15 minutes early. So, we looked in the gift shop for a few minutes, checked in and sat down to wait to be called.

While waiting, Lacey sent a text saying they were on the road! Tomorrow, our whole clan would be at Disney together and we could hardly wait! We told them that we would call them after dinner and check in with them.

IMG_4050.JPEG

Our wait wasn't long and we were seated at our table. The seating was kind of weird. The table was small. I was on a long bench type seat with the guest at the table next to us and John had a chair. It was just kind of odd feeling.

I knew ahead of time that the menu and service had changed some. No more skewers of meat but rather they brough out the meats in dishes. And, instead of a loaf of the delicious pineapple coconut bread, we had small rolls.

IMG_4051.JPEG

IMG_4052.JPEG

IMG_4053.JPEG

Wouldn't you know it?! I didn't get a picture of the meats. I did, however, get a picture of the dessert plate they brought out.

IMG_4054.JPEG

Despite the changes to the menu and the way the meal was served, Ohana didn't disappoint. We paid our bill and took the monorail to the Magic Kingdom where we hopped a bus back to Coronado Springs.

**Up next: I'm so anxious for them to arrive! This is the biggest pile of crap that I've ever seen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter